FA L FA Cup Final

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 May 2018

fellaini's barber

Part of me is just happy someone scored, if not for that penalty it would definitely have been 120 mins of shite

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Mate, I saw Kane at the same age on loan, he wasn't at all impressive.

Good man management is a skill SAF had in shed loads. Turning Andy Cole from an 'ok' player into one of the most feared forwards in Europe is a case in point.

Open your eyes, Jose is not a coach for young players
Then he shouldn't be at United, we have that tradition and he has decided that Scott McTominay is his shining star, a bit of a plodder who is now eternally grateful to him, rather than anybody who shows a bit of flair, the sort of players United have been built around.

Also could not imagine him giving Kane the time to develop. He would have sold him in a flash to buy a Diego Costa.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He’s crap. Always has been. A crap one footed winger to an even more crap right back. I’ll never back down on this.
When I said this just after we bought him, I was taken to task by posters.

The fact that he's been converted to a RB just shows how poor we've been in identifying good defenders and how poor we've been in buying them!

Make you wonder why Pep didn't start Sterling at RB??? No, he just went out and bought to pacy full backs

Witchking

According to Jose, Chelsea knew that our team had no presence with out Lukaku and fellaini. This is the problem with him. Thinking that fellaini is that important and talking about other players not having a presence.

When he plays defensively against other clubs, he says that not having the ball keeps you from making mistakes but if Chelsea do it, suddenly the best team lost?

He is not making any sense. :wenger:

Inigo Montoya

Then he shouldn't be at United, we have that tradition and he has decided that Scott McTominay is his shining star, a bit of a plodder who is now eternally grateful to him, rather than anybody who shows a bit of flair, the sort of players United have been built around.
I fear for the likes of Chong, Gomes and all the other u18s.

dove

He’s crap. Always has been. A crap one footed winger to an even more crap right back. I’ll never back down on this.
Oh you are not gonna be very popular for saying that :lol: Some people still believe he is the best RB in the league although he never even was.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Normally be upset after a defeat, especially in a cup final, but my Nan passed away on Thursday 6 months short of her 100th birthday. So feel absolutely nothing.

I thought we played well in patches in the 2nd half, against a very defensive Chelsea side. Lacked killer instinct

Big transfer window coming up.

In Rainbows

It’s got nothing to do with Jose calling them trash. They are trash & Jose was right for calling them trash. If they were performing at optimum level, we wouldn’t have needed to sign Sanchez.

They were still regulars in the team when we lost to City in December & then went on to draw 3 games against mid-table/relegating teams. Rashford/Martial have been inconsistent from the start of the season.
You're really not proving anything. If they are trash, why would you call them trash when you might need to rely on them at some point in the future? It's just awful man management. It does not benefit you, the manager, or the club to just make those comments.

What do you get out of making those comments?

King.of.Red

glad I didnt manage to watch the match and now I dont need to download the match. very disappointed with the result. sigh.. well..

R'hllor

Lets be real, even if its 100% players fault, posters coming out with statement how Liverpool is lucky to have Salah, Barca have Messi etc. Do people really think that those players would produce same numbers/performances if we just copy paste them to us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I fear for the likes of Chong, Gomes and all the other u18s.
Same here, that last game was a chance to give them a game and they didn't get a sniff. Think we are actually turning into Chelsea, hoovering up the good kids and then will sell them on without giving them a chance at United.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, there's a player there, a very talented one. He's been badly managed this season and the shit he got after Brighton was undeserved and has affected his confidence. It's piss poor management from Jose
I'm not a fan of Jose's management of a few of our players, but I'm not sure what Rashford could complain about? He started the season slightly ahead of Martial in the pecking order, stayed there for longer than he really deserved to (Martial was massively out-performing him for at least a month before Mourinho finally switched them), and then in the second half of the season he's continued to get plenty of opportunities. And other than the occasional good match here and there, he's been poor all season.

If anything, Mourinho has given Rashford more opportunities then he's actually deserved if we go by his actual performances.

Inigo Montoya

Normally be upset after a defeat, especially in a cup final, but my Nan passed away on Thursday 6 months short of her 100th birthday. So feel absolutely nothing.

I thought we played well in patches in the 2nd half, against a very defensive Chelsea side. Lacked killer instinct

Big transfer window coming up.
Puts it in perspective mate, sorry for your loss. Feck football...it's not bigger than life and death

0161_UNITED

Oh you are not gonna be very popular for saying that :lol: Some people still believe he is the best RB in the league although he never even was.
I said it in the middle of the lovefest, and probably got a mod warning or two. At least I’m consistent.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A textbook cup final between two big teams. Tight game, settled by one mistake, with not much action.

Rashford could have done better with his chance, but the ball was just too strong to him, Pogba should have got his header on target, a few balls could have fallen better, but all in, not to be.

The difference when Lukaku was on was clear to see. Suddenly you could aim for direct balls centrally.

Oh well, this doesn't change a huge amount, so hopefully we'll have a quality window, and come back with more attacking efficiency.

Eriku

The last time the unholy trinity occurred.

FA CUP- we lost on penalties to Arsenal
PL- Chelsea
UCL- Liverpool after being 3-0 down to Milan

So I'm not confident at all
So I am to be pessimistic because:

1) the gods seem to want to step on United fans’ toes this season

2) history is looking to repeat itself?

Salah’s looked cracking and Liverpool seem up for it, but have you lads looked at Real? They’re stacked in all departments.

Peebie

Sitting behind Jose trying to work out his notes
I really don't know whether to stick or twist any more.

With the manager.

I was/am all for supporting JM to build us a new foundation and future but this is kind of like his 1st go at it, and he is trying to adopt United tradition of blooding youngsters. I feel he is trying hard but is failing when it really counts. We are a big club, we should be doing better than this.

We have done okay. Is that what we want? Some performances this season have been appalling. Players seem to be getting worse not better, every game feels a pain to watch and waiting for last minute winners or defending a goal all game ala Chelsea today.

It's ironic, what people thought of JM and parked buses in the past has come back and bit him on the behind today.

His tactics as an observer/supporter have been the same all season and every team in the league has him sussed. How many times have we come up against a packed midfield playing narrow defending for 90 mins and looking for a quick breakaway. Even the bottom of the table teams have played us this way.

Conte knew it. It's our Achilles heel.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A non-performance, particularly in the first half. It's a shame when you get all the way to the final only to misfire so badly at the very end, but I'm not angry as I don't want to waste emotion on them at the minute. If they don't care, I don't either, and I'm thankful the club season if over.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I said it in the middle of the lovefest, and probably got a mod warning or two. At least I’m consistent.
I agree that Valencia is done. The endeavor is there but all quality has gone in relation to crossing or passing.

However I disagree that he was always shite especially when we just got him from Wigan. He was the best winger in the league then, absolute tank

Dominos

As a unit we have no cohesion in attack, there's just no understanding of how to create chances, no quality, no link up play, no effective overlaps. It's like the players have never played with each other before. Sure in a one off game you can blame the players, but this is the same shit we watch every week, Mourinho has had 2 years of coaching this squad and many many millions spent, and yet seeing any sort of quality attacking play is a rarity.

People think it's the style of football that's the problem, it's not, it's the quality. This was not a defensive performance from us, it was just shit. No one seems to be able to differentiate between a shit and a defensive performance. We tried our best to score, we probed and moved the ball and kept the pressure on, but the confidence of the players, the know-how, the cohesion between team mates, it's all non-existant and shows no signs of improvement.

I should also say our ability to keep possession of the ball even in the most basic of circumstances is shocking. Sanchez gives the ball away more often than he keeps it, I don't think I've ever thought that about the player before.

Inigo Montoya

So I am to be pessimistic because:

1) the gods seem to want to step on United fans’ toes this season

2) history is looking to repeat itself?

Salah’s looked cracking and Liverpool seem up for it, but have you lads looked at Real? They’re stacked in all departments.
And what gives me hope is that Liverpool do not have a Gerrard and Alonso. I can't see Henderson and Milner dominating

Kroos,Modric and Casemiro

Sigma

I am curious though, who’s going to pipe up with “Valencia is the best RB in England” f*ing nonsense now? Crickets? I thought so.
People - including me - were saying that last year, when he was. This year he hasn't been.

Motorman

Hard to swallow this one. Players out and new more fitting players in this summer. Still progress in the bigger picture. Love our manager and next season we will do even more progress, maybe the league and a cup of some sort?
This is my thoughts, agree with you here

fellaini's barber

Chelsea at this point are like relegation fodder with Hazard in it. Newcastle tore them a new one last week, I think they were even worse today, but we're just too clueless to beat anyone right now. Our only chance of winning this game was if one of our set pieces were scrapped in, set pieces and crosses, thats all we got, a very expensive Stoke

0161_UNITED

I agree that Valencia is done. The endeavor is there but all quality has gone in relation to crossing or passing.

However I disagree that he was always shite especially when we just got him from Wigan. He was the best winger in the league then, absolute tank
Totally disagree. The much maligned Rooney adjusted his game (headers off crap crosses) to accommodate him. Rooney is the real hero, not that one footed monstrosity.

And the best winger in the league was Ronaldo, who we foolishly sold below market value.

manunited1919

In the first half I thought I was watching a pre-season friendly. There was no intent from any of our players!

vanderpants

massive clear out need at OT, starting with Jose himself. Players like Jones, Smalling etc wouldn't get in any other top six side. We have some good youngsters coming through and should be given a chance along a different style of football rather than this dog shite boring stuff we have had to endure the past 2 seasons at the majority of times

YankManc

Well, maybe the result will make us spend more in the summer. We are so far off from where Manchester United need to be.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Coming back is one thing, mentality is another. We looked up for it in the Spurs game. This game we looked lacking, but I think that is as much just lacking the talent to unlock teams who sit back.

There is truth to the presence piece. If a team sits back you either need presence, quick movement or skill. Sadly we lacked all of those.
yeah id agree... i just think we need more cohesion going forward in general, we basically have two levels either some one pulls out a moment of brilliance or we we go long ball.

thats not enough, we need to able to attack better as unit, move the ball quickly round defences, anticipates each other runs better. At the moment we don't do that and dont seem to able to make progress in that area.

vanderpants

People saying that we got what we deserve etc, do you really think things will change next season?

Eriku

And what gives me hope is that Liverpool do not have a Gerrard and Alonso. I can't see Henderson and Milner dominating

Kroos,Modric and Casemiro
That’s my thinking. That and Ronaldo will surely perk up seeing as this is one of the fixtures that might swing the Balon d’Or in his favour.

Mercurial

He has his days when he is a beast, my favourite being when his eyebrow swell to neanderthal levels in the CL and he strided on, but he is almost done for now. We are in desperate need for refreshment on RB one that's WC or just short of WC. It will make us much more random in final third vs these constant pass to mid, was ages since i saw him consistently beat his mark and cross from corner flag.

SuperiorXI

Everyone was confident we would win, just made me think we would lose even more. The players are not serial winners, they have won the odd trophy.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 367 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Chelsea 0:2 Man Utd