FA L FA Cup Final

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 May 2018

Hoof the ball

I really dislike that some people are saying, "just not our day", as if this is somehow an atypical occurrence. Excellence nullifies the need to rely on chance or fortune. I don't believe the common narrative that we played well; Chelsea scored and then conceded the ball, willingly, ironically in a method as one would come to expect of us. Chelsea out-Mourinho'd us and we lack the quality to break down teams sitting back. Not only this team, but other teams that set up the same way.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sums our problems up all season really.

We play "OK", go 1-0 down and can't beat a deep lying defense.

Our attack is absolutely shocking for a premier league team, if Mourinho is to stay in charge he desperately needs help in the attacking department.

Mercurial

Valencia is almost completely finished, those back passes were horrible, hamstrung in the final third.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If you enjoy watching that boring shite, then good for you.
We were actually good in the second half and he also took off Jones for mata, which shows he was trying to win. That is how football is, especially finals. Play the game again tomorrow and we would probably get the luck and win.

STYLOISRED

Just look at the state of this place! Jones was unfortunate, chelsea capitalized and closed shop thats all to it! People bashing Jose for today‘s performance really need to have a good look at themselves. We can‘t win all the finals and this is how finals are lost.
I was satisfied with the desire our players showed in this match even though we could have been more decisive in the final third and i have to give chelseaa credit for holding on to an important lead.

Am going to avoid this place because there are very toxic people in here!

Siorac

No blame on the manager. Jones is just a very poor footballer, which cost us today.
If only we had some other centre-backs. Maybe a couple of them who were signed by the current manager. That would be nice, right?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jones had a mare, but today can't be blamed solely on him. When we have a team with Pogba and Sanchez in it that still can't create a single chance, not only do their mentalities have to be questioned, so does the managers.

From the kick off until the final minute was not good enough today in any respect of the word. As usual Matic did himself proud, and Young worked his socks off for the millionth time this season, but we either need half of a new XI, or a new manager.
Young and Valencia worked their socks off doing what exactly? Neither really delivered a cross of worth and stopped when in a position to take on the full back.
With no width of worth, everything went through the middle and it became predictable. Sanchez is the elephant in the room that Jose fails to address.

Two new full backs please and a creative midfielder that's not afraid to drive forward

rpitchfo

Another quite frankly dreadful first half performance followed by a vastly improved second half. This has been a recurring theme all season and ultimately it has cost us today.
Absolutely. What is driving this though the tactics or the players?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Agree with that.
Congratulations to Chelsea. They defended well and capitalized on that mistake from Jones.

Man Utd had more from the game, but it was very difficult to create clear chances against the low block from Chelsea. There were a few good chances, but in such a tight game you have to be really clinical.

Many people will be very happy now to tear into the players, but I think they can keep your heads up today. The tried everything and did well enough, but one mistake basically decided the game. Chelsea is a good side, too, when they turn up and can play their game.
Agree with this.

For me today showed where our weaknesses are. Jones or Smalling always one feck up from a catastrophe. Young, having to cut back in to be effective, Valencia hasn't got the engine to be a RB for a team who SHOULD be challenging on all fronts. For all his qualities, Matic was hugely frustrating, slowed the play down no end.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Probably would have won if Lukaku had played. Gave him a one for bottling it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No blame on the manager. Jones is just a very poor footballer, which cost us today. Actually the entire back 4 from today is very poor. Hoping for a clearout of deadwood now
Smalling was our MOTM and the manager set the tone for how they started that game and most games we have played this season. We won games by four early in the season, but we scored at the end of the games. There is a pattern there.

Lukakusfirsttouch

Ah well don't worry about it. Pogba, Lingard etc will all be on Instagram Monday morning fecking about and getting their little haircuts and playing Fortnite and showing off in their mansions. They couldn't give a crap. People ask me why I don't go and see them every week. Why on Earth should I? It winds me up seeing them all thinking they are Gods gift to football all week then in the FA Cup Final, 1-0 down, they can't even get a free kick over the first man.

Football has become a boy's sport. It died as a man's sport years ago.
This. Did you see pogba smile towards the end with Hazard? I couldn’t believe what I was seeing imagine Gary Neville doing that.

bdspeedy

5 goals in 6 games over the last month is pathetic. That includes dismal dislays vs Brighton, West Ham and Brighton. We did beat Arsenal and Tottenham but we have a long way to go to be a contender in the Prem or Champs league.

Boca243

Embarrassing. No fight. No idea. God awful team selection and tactics. Thank you Mr Mourinho but that’s enough now.

Kapardin

How can anyone look at our attack and say we played well? Chelsea defended their 1 goal lead because that's all they are capable of this season. A half decent attack would have picked them apart and won 3-1 atleast.

Just because we had a feckload of possession does not mean we played well. Our chance creation rivals some Championship clubs.

Irrational.

People still blaming Mourinho :lol:

It’s the same shit like Rashford and jones that have been underachieving for years now. Today was yet another reminder of that.

Lingard and Rashford are not ready to be anything other than squad players. Sanchez needs to find his form next season quickly. We clearly missed lukaku upfront and it might have been a different story had he been fit.

We dominated most of the match but just couldn’t find the finishing touch. Poor from our attack and full backs.

Players need to be brought into the team this summer. feck if it means English lads don’t get a game. We need a premiership title
Great post.

Terribly depressing outcome but predictable from the way the 1st half went. We just kept lumping it into the box from out wide to no effect. Our variation in play did improve in the 2nd but there just wasn't the class on display to score a goal. Pathetic all round.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Extremely worried about Sanchez
I personally don't think he's that bad, we just need to stop playing him as a winger. He always needed quality around him and players who could play shrewdly in and around the box. That happened at both at Arsenal and Barcelona. We don't do that and he's shit so I'm not surprised.

We've done it the whole fecking year: get to the box and put crosses in, or wait to put crosses in because we know it's a shit idea (especially without Lukaku).

BigdaftGorby

We were actually good in the second half and he also took off Jones for mata, which shows he was trying to win. That is how football is, especially finals. Play the game again tomorrow and we would probably get the luck and win.
There is no tomorrow!!!! THERE IS NO TOMORROW!!!!!! (Apollo creed, Rocky iii) ;)

NYAS

Mourinho needs to win the league next season or it’s José out, for me.

Hed Zitin

Two boring teams with boring managers.

Another shit half and a better one. The manager has allowed this all season.

Happy the drab season is over.

Delano

Rashford was so easy to play against. Constanstly drifting and overdoing it when he got the ball. He just doesn't offer enough up top to be a replacement for Lukaku.

BigdaftGorby

Adds nothing to the discussion
Just look at the state of this place! Jones was unfortunate, chelsea capitalized and closed shop thats all to it! People bashing Jose for today‘s performance really need to have a good look at themselves. We can‘t win all the finals and this is how finals are lost.
I was satisfied with the desire our players showed in this match even though we could have been more decisive in the final third and i have to give chelseaa credit for holding on to an important lead.

Am going to avoid this place because there are very toxic people in here!
Bye

togg

Conte played it tactically perfect. Defend deep which we are poor against, hit us on the break for a sucker punch goal, then defend defend defend.

First goal was crucial. We get it we probably win quite comfortably against that Chelsea team.

So damn frustrating to watch us try to break down teams when they play deep. It's been costing us for many seasons now, not just this one. We still had two clear chances in the second-half (Rashford in on goal and Pogba's header).

What a shitty end to a very odd season. And it could get even worse next Saturday :nervous:
Yep, exactly what Mata said in an interview a number of days ago, that the first goal will be critical.

MrSingh2002

Rashford should never have started this game ahead of Martial if Lukaku wasn't fit enough to start.

Sanchez can feck off.
Jones can feck off.
Rashford can feck off.
Valencia can feck off.

and if Jose persists playing players who don't deserve it then Jose can feck off too.

If Jose remains I'd love to see a summer clearout. It's gotta be enough of a transformation to avoid a repeat of no silverware next season.

Siorac

We've been poor finishing chances for much of the year. Today is just a microcosm of that.
Don't we have the best conversion rate in the top 6? We definitely created the fewest chances out of that group. Putting away chances wasn't our problem this season, creating them was.

miked99

The first half sums up everything that is bad about our team at the moment. Second wasn't much better. Despite having tons of possession, we are so clueless at attacking. It's painful to watch. I won't miss a thing about watching United this summer, glad to see the back of it tbh. Bring on the World Cup!

reddaz71

Young? awful,Jones? shocking,Valencia? static,Pogba? am starting to believe what Souness says is right! Rashford? Overrated! Mourinho? it would not bother me if we let him go! HUGE summer ahead ie ins/outs!

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 367 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Chelsea 0:2 Man Utd