Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 May 2018

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Played well?

Did you see the first half?

It's also vs a Chelsea team that finished 5th and just got walloped by Newcastle.

The second half we mustered 2 proper chances. Rashford and pogbas .

They also missed another one with alonso.

Overall a deserved loss and another uninspiring performance.
Definitely not a deserved loss. You really think we played worse than Chelsea, Who mustered one shot on target from open play, and scored from a mistake?

First half wasn’t great, but we still had all the ball. And second half they were penned in. I don’t like our football, but that’s not a match we deserved to lose. Not by a long shot.

And this is also a Chelsea team that just beat Liverpool. CL finalists Liverpool. So taking isolated results to prove a point is just daft.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I thought besides the penalty kick we pretty much controlled the game. The first half was a cagey affair with both sides not willing to give any advantage. Unfortunate defending mistake gave Chelsea the platform to then put on a defensive wall which we just couldn't breach. Spurned our one big chance when Pogba missed a header. Better team lost today. Happens in football.

The only blame I put on Mourinho is the wrong substitution. Alexis should have gone off instead of Lingard.

Pacificgi

Positives - Smallings performance, Pogba and Matic were decent.

Negatives
Jones - hes brainless. Cant believe I used to think he was better than smalling. We cannot trust him as a defender, simple as that.

Rashford - spent too much time leaving the front line to drop deep or go out to the right. I have no issue with our main striker doing that but he has to make himself threat or create a chance for others. Alot of his work seems pointless - like whats he expecting to achieve getting stuck near a corner flag surrounded by three chelsea players.

Young & Valencia - the painful thing watching these two attack is that it just makes you wonder how good we'd be down the flanks if we actually signed full backs who attack with intent, doesnt hit their crosses into someones shins and doesnt cut inside every time at 1mph

Sanchez - less said the better

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
So Mourinho is saying that Chelsea didn’t deserve to win today. I can’t agree with his point and wish he’d be man enough to admit his failures.

Bocca9978

I wasn't gutted as we lost, tells a lot.
I am angry, pissed off, gutted we didn’t perform, worried for next season, worried about the summer signings.

But still there. Still supporting. Never wanting to lose.

Last edited:

Sing you a song

I'd love to know what our routine is prior to the kick off. The second half today was actually pretty decent, as is most of our play whenever we are behind in a match. I struggle to understand why we can't start a match in a similar fashion.
We only start throwing caution to the wind when we are behind and desperate.the City game was a typical example. It's sad because it shows we can be dangerous and Players like Pogba can cause problems for teams when let off his leash .
Jose is far too defensive and we can't keep leaving it this late before attacking.
My bet is Pogba will be the star of the World Cup and make Jose and his tactics look even more idiotic

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Whenever I watched United play this season, they always seem to suffer from the same few problems.

1. The players don’t pass the ball quickly enough. Too many players take several unnecessary touches before releasing the ball and it slows down the entire attack. Playing one touch football with your teammates should be second nature at this level.

2. The front trio are too narrow. Your wingers play between the fullbacks and centerbacks. This makes the centre of the pitch too congested. Your wide men need to stay wide more.

3. Your fullbacks are too one dimensional. Young always cuts back on his right foot because his left is rubbish. Valencia is somehow even more predictable than Young. They are easy to defend against.

4. I don’t actually think that the midfield is a big problem. Pogba and Matic are both very comfortable on the ball and always look to pass forward. Herrera can be upgraded on but he’s not bad either.

I still think that Mourinho is a good manager. While United do have some very good players in their team, they seriously lack quality in vital areas on the pitch. A pair of proper fullbacks and wingers would completely transform this team.

UpWithRivers

Conte did us. Utd just cannot beat teams that sit back and we have to break them down. Its like I watched Mourinhos Chelsea. Teams that come at us.....Tottenham even city we have a chance. We need a plan for teams that sit back and defend well. Like all promoted teams we lost against.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bizarre you weren't / aren't gutted we lost. I don't understand that mentality at all.
I was upset, but not in the slightest surprised. Once they scored I just knew he would be hoisted on his own petard as they say. Served him right. It is the fans who paid a fortune to go down there and both managers served up that. The consolation for the Chelsea fans is they won and are likely getting a new manager.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Positives - Smallings performance, Pogba and Matic were decent.

Negatives
Jones - hes brainless. Cant believe I used to think he was better than smalling. We cannot trust him as a defender, simple as that.

Rashford - spent too much time leaving the front line to drop deep or go out to the right. I have no issue with our main striker doing that but he has to make himself threat or create a chance for others. Alot of his work seems pointless - like whats he expecting to achieve getting stuck near a corner flag surrounded by three chelsea players.

Young & Valencia - the painful thing watching these two attack is that it just makes you wonder how good we'd be down the flanks if we actually signed full backs who attack with intent, doesnt hit their crosses into someones shins and doesnt cut inside every time at 1mph

Sanchez - less said the better
Similar to my view.

I try to understand why we didn’t start with Bailly. I’m trying to be objective but right now I can’t see us keeping Jones another season. Cash in and reinvest.

Both Martial and Rash has regressed in the second part of the season. Yesterday was a golden opportunity for them to make a case for themselves. Rash tried to hard but his confidence isn’t there any longer. This option will upset some of you but we should sell Martial when he still has some value. Without the right mentality and drive he’s never going to make it playing for a top club.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Whenever I watched United play this season, they always seem to suffer from the same few problems.

1. The players don’t pass the ball quickly enough. Too many players take several unnecessary touches before releasing the ball and it slows down the entire attack. Playing one touch football with your teammates should be second nature at this level.

2. The front trio are too narrow. Your wingers play between the fullbacks and centerbacks. This makes the centre of the pitch too congested. Your wide men need to stay wide more.

3. Your fullbacks are too one dimensional. Young always cuts back on his right foot because his left is rubbish. Valencia is somehow even more predictable than Young. They are easy to defend against.

4. I don’t actually think that the midfield is a big problem. Pogba and Matic are both very comfortable on the ball and always look to pass forward. Herrera can be upgraded on but he’s not bad either.

I still think that Mourinho is a good manager. While United do have some very good players in their team, they seriously lack quality in vital areas on the pitch. A pair of proper fullbacks and wingers would completely transform this team.
It has been mentioned.

InfiniteBoredom

Had a feeling we’d lose and gave it a miss because of early start at work. Turned out to be the right decision.

There’s no need to over analyze the performance, both collectively and individually. We’ve played tumescent, unimaginative football for the most part of the season and relying on individual moments of brilliance to bail us out. And missing Lukaku means we play without the default set up we’ve been doing all year. Losing to a shite Chelsea team hurts, but it’s not really a surprise. We already did in the league.

tonnas

Cannot believe certain comments. Embarassing, ouclassed, chelsea were better? Did we see the same match? We gave them a penalty present and had a couple of good chances with them doing nothing and just defending for their live.

Reactions: Sultan

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Well that game was the difference between a distinctly average season and a good season.

We fluffed it. Had more than enough chances in the 2nd half to get back on terms but apart from the Jones header never really tested them enough.

Fair play to Chelsea, they executed a game plan superbly. We’d have done exactly the same thing if we had benefited from an early penalty.

Expecting a pretty substantial clear out in the summer.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Conte did us. Utd just cannot beat teams that sit back and we have to break them down. Its like I watched Mourinhos Chelsea. Teams that come at us.....Tottenham even city we have a chance. We need a plan for teams that sit back and defend well. Like all promoted teams we lost against.
I have similar views.

We need wide men who hug the line to spread the defence and rid oppositions congestion in the middle.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
we were too slow. at the end of the first half when we attacked with pace, surely that was the way forward but we still slowed it down. Chelsea parked the bus (oh the irony) and we didnt have the pace to break them down. Neither full back can pass wind. Surely we must be a better team to rely on two players (Fellaini and lukaku), as Jose hinted at in his post match interview. Jesse, Rashford and Martial all have the pace, but we spens so long getting the ball in to them from midfield the opposition have ample time to get back . And to be fair if Young's handball had been a Chelsea player's, then we would be screaming blue murder on here today. Pogba will be a star at the WC because he will be pushed forward. Jose still plays him too deep

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I must be the odd one but I don't think we played bad in the second half.

edgar allan

Cannot believe certain comments. Embarassing, ouclassed, chelsea were better? Did we see the same match? We gave them a penalty present and had a couple of good chances with them doing nothing and just defending for their live.
And when we did the same against Arsenal and Liverpool to name but two, apppatently they were fantastic performances?

Revaulx

As a unit we have no cohesion in attack, there's just no understanding of how to create chances, no quality, no link up play, no effective overlaps. It's like the players have never played with each other before. Sure in a one off game you can blame the players, but this is the same shit we watch every week, Mourinho has had 2 years of coaching this squad and many many millions spent, and yet seeing any sort of quality attacking play is a rarity.

People think it's the style of football that's the problem, it's not, it's the quality. This was not a defensive performance from us, it was just shit. No one seems to be able to differentiate between a shit and a defensive performance. We tried our best to score, we probed and moved the ball and kept the pressure on, but the confidence of the players, the know-how, the cohesion between team mates, it's all non-existant and shows no signs of improvement.
Well yes, but we looked a lot better in the second half when we were being shit attacking than in the first, when we just stood around.
I should also say our ability to keep possession of the ball even in the most basic of circumstances is shocking. Sanchez gives the ball away more often than he keeps it, I don't think I've ever thought that about the player before.
Our ball retention was decent in the brief period early in the second half when we actually moved it around quickly. Why can’t we have more of that? Unfit / lazy players? Manager’s instructions?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well yes, but we looked a lot better in the second half when we were being shit attacking than in the first, when we just stood around.

Our ball retention was decent in the brief period early in the second half when we actually moved it around quickly. Why can’t we have more of that? Unfit / lazy players? Manager’s instructions?
We might have looked better in the 2nd half, but that just emphasises how badly our standards have fallen.

Trizy

Woke up this morning, happy it was Sunday then I remembered we lost that shite final. Depressed again. :lol:

el3mel

Woke up this morning, happy it was Sunday then I remembered we lost that shite final. Depressed again. :lol:
Not angry more. Maybe because it wasn't affecting the outcome much expect addind a trophy. Still the summer will be depressing though. Ending the season with a defeat leaves a sour taste in the mouth till the next one. Of course the players don't care at all and will be busy with their national teams/holiday. Only us -fans- pay the price for this.

Trizy

Lol exactly what happened to me
It's a sad state of affairs. I wasn't even that bothered about the result yesterday to be honest. Throughout the whole game I just concluded we weren't going to get an equaliser. I've invested too much emotion in United the past 5 years and it has always ended in the same feelings of being pissed off whereas I'm getting used of it now. How damning is that for a United fan to say?

2nd place flatters us. Progress my arse.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Pretty fair summary and I mostly agree.

As for the game yesterday, it certainly wasn't among our worst performances this season. I wouldn't even say that it was a bad performance. We did pressure them at the start of the second half and had enough chances to turn the game around. My only complaint is not trying to go with the same intensity from the start, as it took about 40 minutes to shift the gear and up the tempo of our play.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People saying we played well and berating Chelsea's performance are the same one that would call Mourinho a master tactician for doing the same thing.
We bsrelb created anything from open play. We dominated the mudfuelm but we hardly out their defence under any pressure.
Can't remember Courtois making any mesninmean save.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
People saying we played well and berating Chelsea's performance are the same one that would call Mourinho a master tactician for doing the same thing.
We bsrelb created anything from open play. We dominated the mudfuelm but we hardly out their defence under any pressure.
Can't remember Courtois making any mesninmean save.
He saved Rashford's one on one chip right before Rashford went to the bench. It was from open play and through pass which cut their defence. He also saved Jones header before, only for Sanchez to be denied by marginal offside.

I am not saying we played particularly well. We just weren't that bad in the context of our performances this season. Is that the level of performances that we should aim for is a different question. Personally, I think it isn't and the season as a whole end up as a disappointment.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 367 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Chelsea 0:2 Man Utd