PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 April 2019

pascell

How can anyone say de Gea cost us when we cant attack to save our lives?

Our build up play is Mourinho levels of piss poor, Matic was the main culprit. How can you attack when your midfielders cant pass it forward?

Chelsea were very, very poor, we were worse.

Top 4 would just paper over the cracks and on these performances, we dont deserve it.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I'm beginning to think we are in for a decade of mediocrity or even worse.

Rotten from the Boardroom all the way down to the playing and coaching staff.

Club is in perpetual decline.
Sad thing is, that might be what this club needs. Fall to the wayside, get the Glazers out and build again.

There's no way of turning this around under the Glazers and Woodward.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Huge opportunity missed...they were there for the taking.

Really disappointed we didn't come at them in the second half

MisterLupus

Still two games to go and only a three-point gap. Chelsea didn't look impressive either nor has Tottenham or Arsenal lately. Too early to call it but we should and could have won today so it'd be in our own hands. Thought we played ok for the most part nothing spectacular though - and it will be harsh on DeGea if we end up looking back at this season saying we were only one bad touch on his behalf away from qualifying for Champions League. He didn't look good at all today even his save during overtime looked a fluke - so he's definitely on a bad beat and I hope he returns to his old self soon. Lukaku should never have played beyond the first period as he's so unfit it's embarrassing - gasping for air even two minutes after having done a sixty meter sprint (early on even) and the last twenty minutes he just loafed about in an offside position not being able to keep up with play at all. Before that he made some decent moves though - showed glimpses of his strengths and some drive (the whole team actually played with heart today which impressed me) - but yeah should definitely have been substituted either half-time or early in the second half when it became clear Chelsea had tidied up their defensive efforts.

redom

United dominated the game up until Chelsea scored and the DDG mistake right before half time killed the confidence which is already frail.

Usually it wouldn't be as much of a problem but under the circumstances it was the worst possible thing to happen and at the worst possible time.
Yep, we really couldn't afford that mistake. Of course I hoped for more of a reaction after it but it's hardly surprising given our recent form, he's cost us big time.

Al-T

How on earth did this football club become such an Augean stable of mediocre shit?

Raw

I'm going to be so much happier when this season ends.

Even if Liverpool won the title. I just don't fecking have the energy to care about Manchester United, aka the bottling bunch of shite Europa League players.

Gopher Brown

We can blame DDG for letting in yet another soft goal, but we didn't create a thing in the second half. We had 50min or so to produce another goal and save from the Rojo header, we didn't come close.

We can perform for 45min but then they look like they're all taking Mogadon at half-time.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He did everything right. The squad isnt good enough and has a fitness issue. Those things together is why we couldnt recover from De Gea's mistake. It was nothing todo with Ole. If you think differently then you should watch another sport.

Subs were okay with the options we had. If it wasnt for DDG mistake everyone would be saying we did well. The team played well overall and showed alot more passion than recently. We get tired around 60 minutes and the fitness issue needs to be addressed as does the lack of quality options.

None of those are problems that Ole could have fixed today.

Sort it out
Dont tell me to watch another sport what makes your opinion the holy grail? Ive been watching United play for 28 years I dont need you to explain manager tactics. He is not good enough.

Ps sort yourself out.

Irishman

Manchester United football team remind me of the film Space Jam. It's like aliens have removed all football ability from each and everyone of our players. De Gea, Pogba and all look as though they've never played football before.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Still two games to go and only a three-point gap. Chelsea didn't look impressive either nor has Tottenham or Arsenal lately. Too early to call it but we should and could have won today so it'd be in our own hands. Thought we played ok for the most part nothing spectacular though - and it will be harsh on DeGea if we end up looking back at this season saying we were only one bad touch on his behalf away from qualifying for Champions League. He didn't look good at all today even his save during overtime looked a fluke - so he's definitely on a bad beat and I hope he returns to his old self soon. Lukaku should never have played beyond the first period as he's so unfit it's embarrassing - gasping for air even two minutes after having done a sixty meter sprint (early on even) and the last twenty minutes he just loafed about in an offside position not being able to keep up with play at all. Before that he made some decent moves though - showed glimpses of his strengths and some drive (the whole team actually played with heart today which impressed me) - but yeah should definitely have been substituted either half-time or early in the second half when it became clear Chelsea had tidied up their defensive efforts.
Considering our goal difference, it’s not a 4 point gap. We’d need Chelsea to lose and draw their last two games, it’s never going to happen.

Stubble

I really question whether certain of these players even wanted top 4. They now have their excuse to leave probably just as they wanted...

United492

We need to keep Ander- only bit of bite / impetus / urgency we have

K13

Very disappointed to be honest as I am sure everyone on this forum is.

It was a game that we needed to win. I am not sure why we risked so many players who have not played that many minutes but Ole sees them every day and maybe some players are just mentally/physically shot. It left us a substitution short by the end. Rashford was struggling even before half time when Pogba was looking for him to run into the channel.

Some very strange squad and substitutions.

jeff_goldblum

The way we set up from the off was great and Ole should get credit for that. De Gea cost us the game, and most of our players in the last 20 minutes basically handed Chelsea a point, couldn't string a pass together and were 2nd to almost every 50/50.

I'm seeing a lot of people criticising Ole for the lineup and subs but you have to look at what else was available to him off the bench. Don't think Martial instead of Sanchez would have been much difference, except Martial would have put in less of a shift. Perhaps he could have thrown Martial in for the last 10 or so and perhaps he could have dropped De Gea, but backing him paid off big when he came here and it was by no means an obvious call. When you drop a player with a ceiling that high, there's always the risk that you're dropping someone who can win a game for you.

FerociousCorgis

yeah the ddg blunder rocked us, but for FFS it didnt happen in minute 90. It was like minutes 40. Ended up being almost 60 more minutes where did pretty much nothing bar one corner kick cleared off the line. In a must win game.

hobbers

Why would you even want this squad in the CL places? Be an absolute shambles for such an undeserving squad to make it in.

If that story about a 25% pay cut are true then that's at least a small step in the right direction of remunerating this squad with what they're actually worth.

Irishman

Sad thing is, that might be what this club needs. Fall to the wayside, get the Glazers out and build again.

There's no way of turning this around under the Glazers and Woodward.
I agree. Part of me is actually happy at thought that Glazers will not financially benefit from CL qualification.

edgecutter

It's effectively 4 with goal difference. Today was a cup final and we blew it.

Stubble

How can a club be so poorly run that we constantly have issues with players obviously not being fit and looking overweight . What a complete shambles..

Whiteside '85

To those that think we can get champions League if Chelsea win Europa League think again

If Chelsea or arsenal win and finish in the top four, then England will not get an extra spot. The team who finish third in the fifth-ranked league - France - will go into the Champions League group stages instead of the qualifiers.

Fecking season over barring a Watford Leicester miracle

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yeah, team very tired. Some level of confusion bout tactics. But they tried hard today. Pity about the De Gea blunder, poor lad, what a series of nightmares for him. But this game gives me just a few little flickers of hope.

Simon Jones

this is what happens when you have a board that decides to back temperamental players who are listening to their agents rather than a manager (Jose) who is one of the most successful managers of all time.

Motorman

Fuming.
We didnt deserve that today. We did better than usual. But Everton has cost us. Change that result and today would have been a lot different event altogether.

redom

We need to keep Ander- only bit of bite / impetus / urgency we have
Meh, a lot of what he does looks headless and at times wreckless, at least he puts a shift in but his effectiveness is questionable.

edgecutter

We can blame DDG for letting in yet another soft goal, but we didn't create a thing in the second half. We had 50min or so to produce another goal and save from the Rojo header, we didn't come close.

We can perform for 45min but then they look like they're all taking Mogadon at half-time.
He killed the momentum, Chelsea didn't create much and all of a sudden after the mistake we are on the back foot. It's as costly as a missed sitter by a forward or giving away a pen.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Why would you even want this squad in the CL places? Be an absolute shambles for such an undeserving squad to make it in.

If that story about a 25% pay cut are true then that's at least a small step in the right direction of remunerating this squad with what they're actually worth.
Imaagine that Chelsea in the CL without Hazard on top of their transfer ban.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yep, we really couldn't afford that mistake. Of course I hoped for more of a reaction after it but it's hardly surprising given our recent form, he's cost us big time.
Added to the fact the ball was barely in play in the second half with all the stoppages. As said just really bad set of circumstances. Had the second half not panned out that way I think we would have built up some rhythm. Rojo nearly won us it at the death!

Gopher Brown

I really question whether certain of these players even wanted top 4. They now have their excuse to leave probably just as they wanted...
The table doesn't lie, save for the Ole bounce we don't even slightly deserve Champions League next season.

The awful thing is we're probably going to be in the Europa League, unless Watford can perform a miracle in the FA Cup Final. If we're not it gives us a chance to actually work on developing our style and game plan next season not having to play twice a week every week.

Irwin99

The De Gea mistake shouldn't have decided the game. What infuriates me is that we barely worked their keeper at all. If you keep peppering the goal with chance after chance and it doesn't work out then you just say it's one of those days (like against West Ham in 95) but we had NO attacking intent.

We don't seem to have players that can play well for more than 45 minutes. Lukaku looked absolute class in the first half and the second was awful at times with his constant offsides.

Shameful 2nd half display. Absolutely disgraceful.

Jim Reaper

Dont tell me to watch another sport what makes your opinion the holy grail? Ive been watching United play for 28 years I dont need you to explain manager tactics. He is not good enough.

Ps sort yourself out.
My opinion is not the holy grail. The opinion that Ole was the problem is so stupid that anyone believing that should watch another sport.

There is nothing more he could of done today apart from bring Martial on. Martial has been shite and lazy and wouldnt have offered the energy of Sanchez. If we are comparing dick sizes, ive been watching united for 30 odd years.

You have to allow him the opportunity to improve the squad and have a preseason to address the style of football and lack of fitness. After that, if its still bad then fine.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Added to the fact the ball was barely in play in the second half with all the stoppages. As said just really bad set of circumstances. Had the second half not panned out that way I think we would have built up some rhythm. Rojo nearly won us it at the death!
He’s shit mate!

He was also passing to no one at the end and should have been red carded

Alek M

Da manic one
I am struggling to remember what we did in the second half.

Mata ran out of gas after 45. Ole should have replaced him way sooner.

Herrera and Matic were class. Will miss Anders. His effort is always 100% when he puts the shirt.

Pogba,useless,slow,languid, ineffective.

Rashford ran his socks off. There should have been more long balls.

I blame Ole for not benching DeGea.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results