PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 April 2019

Stubble

People keep asking why we can only play well for 45 mins (be that 1st or 2nd half) ... has happened match after match. Its obvious - the squad is not at the required fitness levels for a top 4 competing side. To me that's what's cost us as much as anything else.

DSG

Played well the first 40 minutes. Bailly’s header goes in, it’s a different story.

We were very tired in the second half. As others have said, the injuries made it tough to get into a rhythm.

I thought the team selection was good, both Mata and Herrera added something. The subs were a bit underwhelming, but in retrospect, Ole knew that Chelsea were going to play for a tie and sit deep. They did. Our only option were balls into the box and bringing on McTominay makes sense in that lens. I don’t get the Ole hate. He’s been amazing to get us this far and the squad is knackered.

Silver linings... maybe now that we are in Europa, the board will step up and spend 300m to win Europa and guarantee the top 4. Let’s truly rebuild with young, exciting, hungry talent.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'd like to see our match-going fans brutally and wholeheartedly whistle and boo the team for once. Maybe it's the one thing that would give this spineless lot a kick on the backside.
Yeah right!

Please try it the next time you’re up in Manchester. You’ll be out on your arse in quick time

Red1968

The table was set for a big change to the top 4. Spurs and the Gunners lost and with everything on the line we play like that?? They should have been up at least 2-0 before that cock up of the season by DDG. The 2nd half they once again had no ideas. Once again there is no urgency. One of the games of the season to decide your own fate and they seem disinterested again! Bailly gets a great chance and hits the ball like an uncoordinated 8 year old??!! 7 mins of extra time to find a winner and instead its Chelsea who have more of the ball and want to win. I am fuming right now after watching that performance. Just utter crap.

JoaquinJoaquin

Never seen such a so called 'top club' with as bad fitness levels as us. Actually embarrassing.

MrSingh2002

Would it have been a surprise if Matic was awful today? No.

Would it have been a surprise if De Gea had a blunder today? No

Ole hasn't got the bollocks to use Romero or McTominay even though both have had a good impact each time they've played this season?

feck Ole and feck the squad. They don't deserve to be in their positions.

Handsome Devil

One of the biggest and richest clubs in the world and we get this served up every week now.
Isn't there someone in the club who could tell Ed "You know Ed, if we build up the team, the noodles will still come and the fools who spend money and time to watch us will also be happy."

Red_Aaron

Ran out of legs again, just shows the fitness limitations of the teams prep pre-ole. He's tried to put us on the front foot but the players simply can't do it for 90 minutes.

Oh Dave, my beautiful dave what are we gonna do mate? Go on holiday, come back next season and we'll pretend this never happened

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Any post match comments from Ole?

bushyboy

Weren't too bad before their equaliser but offered nothing after that.
Don't deserve top 4, but let's not forget the poor start to the season

hubbuh

Utter shite. Was against a wholesale clear out this summer, but there is no other option.
It's generally a bad idea as it risks upsetting the balance and coherency of the squad etc. We currently have no balance, no identity that's worth preserving. It's unrealistic but it'd be great if we could tear it all down and start from scratch. There's no point keeping players like Matic, Lukaku, Sanchez, Young, Martial (basically all of them) as they aren't capable of playing a high intensity game.

Turkleton

I thought Pogba played well. Always looking for the ball and trying to make stuff happen.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thanks for the advice, top red. I'll take that into consideration.
Always after a stupid remark, you get the ‘top red’ jibe.
As if that’s even a valid reposte.

You should let people think you’re an idiot instead of posting and removing all doubt

Nr.7

I feel bad for the fans that still believe in this squad of players.

“Boo the team”
“Get behind the team”
“If we win the next two games ...”
“Give Fred a chance, a preseason etc”
“Stick with Rashford”
“Play Martial”
etc

The reality is most of those players are not good enough. They’re midtable quality at best.

Cockney Phil

Players make mistakes through games but a goalie only needs to make one error and it’s a catastrophe. After all the games DDG saved us he cannot be blamed but should be rested. The forwards, at best, are mid-table warriors. Lukaku is unfit - he ate all the pies! Sanchez has been a disaster for squad and club, has to be our worst ever transfer. Midfield was better and defence kept it to one goal - some credit given there.

No excuses, our season has been a disaster. However, as we stutter and stagger to the finish we can only prep for Europa and yet another ‘new’ transition

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People keep asking why we can only play well for 45 mins (be that 1st or 2nd half) ... has happened match after match. Its obvious - the squad is not at the required fitness levels for a top 4 competing side. To me that's what's cost us as much as anything else.
This has been going on for years, good first half, then knackered in the second, so they drop right back.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Moving on... we should use the next two games to play those who deserve a chance or have a future here (be it as starters or squad players):

----------------Romero
Dalot--Lindelof-Someone--Shaw
-----------------Garner
------------McT-------Pogba
---‐-------------Gomes
---Greenwood----Rashford

Lukaku was very good 1H in fairness and has showed a willingness to work the channels that is quite important in the setup above. The state of his fitness though :houllier:

Morpheus 7

People speak about Arsenal's away form but United's home form is shite! Fair result deserved nothing, cnts don't care clearly!

Andersons Dietician

Started out looking like a United team but could tell by the end we were shattered. I think that’s the first time I’ve properly noticed how poor our fitness levels are.

Lukaku blowing aside after that spring so many of them looked like they were running in sand at about the 80th minute which makes me think what was that fitness expert Jose brought in at the start of the season doing.

Anyway played well in the first half and not too bad in the 2nd just gassed, think that was our last chance at top 4 but when Jose was in charge who would have thought we’d even be in with a chance so props to Ole and the team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I feel bad for the fans that still believe in this squad of players.

“Boo the team”
“Get behind the team”
“If we win the next two games ...”
“Give Fred a chance, a preseason etc”
“Stick with Rashford”
“Play Martial”
etc

The reality is most of those players are not good enough. They’re midtable quality at best.
Somebody needs to sit down with Rashford and tell him straight, that if someone is in a better position than him, pass the fecking ball, not just take a shot.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
It's generally a bad idea as it risks upsetting the balance and coherency of the squad etc. We currently have no balance, no identity that's worth preserving. It's unrealistic but it'd be great if we could tear it all down and start from scratch. There's no point keeping players like Matic, Lukaku, Sanchez, Young, Martial (basically all of them) as they aren't capable of playing a high intensity game.
A wholesale clear out is the only option.

Caesar2290

The worst possible thing to happen was trying to defend a 1-0 lead, instead of looking for a second goal
It's not like we were doing a Mourinho and then got punished for it.

We came inches within scoring a second with that Bailly header. We had them on the ropes and the DDG decides to drop a clanger.

That killed any confidence this team had and looked completely uninspired in the second half. Still feels like a robbery. Like Fergie's last CL match. Thank De Gea you Spanish Shay Given you...

Andersons Dietician

Somebody needs to sit down with Rashford and tell him straight, that if someone is in a better position than him, pass the fecking ball, not just take a shot.
This as well, most frustrating player for me. Gets in great positions but then decision making and execution are just woeful.

Nr.7

Honestly mate, I’m afraid it’s a matter of a lack in quality (vision, decision making), not selfishness. That’s a bigger issue and one which can not be solved with a talk.

Kopral Jono

Always after a stupid remark, you get the ‘top red’ jibe.
As if that’s even a valid reposte.

You should let people think you’re an idiot instead of posting and removing all doubt
That's a bit uncalled for, obviously the next time I'm up in Manchester I wouldn't want to be out on my arse. So again - thank you for the heads-up! :)

Pacificgi

Cant remember a single thing that happened 2nd half. De Gea will take criticism and rightly so but the players had another 45 mins to save his ass and they didnt.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Chelsea are a good side. The circumstances are very frustrating, but a draw against them isnt the worst result in the world. Player for player you could make a pretty good argument that the majority of their squad is better than ours.

I have faith in Ole. We need the board to back him properly in the summer. A pre-season for him to instill his ideas in the team will also help a lot, and those who arent capable need to be shown the door.

Look at Pep and Klopp - they knew the style they wanted to implement, and they knew that they needed the right players to do so.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea