g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 April 2019

Cantona in disguise

He has not been the worst. When the game cried out for pace out in the wings, our FBs psssed back. Our strikers rarely passed to each other and so on.?
How’s that on Pogba
I'm by no means a massive fan of pogbas attitude and general all round displays. I thought he played well in the first half he seemed to have much more energy and looked up for it.

If you watch a replay of Chelsea's goal his face says it all. He didn't come out for the 2nd half. Poor attitude but it's not only him.

Pogba frustrates the life out of me he has more in his locker but seems to think he deserves to be playing at a better level with better players (hes probably right). No excuses for not turning up when you're being paid what he is.

Plenty wrong with the team at this moment in time and summer cant come quick enough.

Pray for a right back a right winger and someone in the centre of the park who can dictate games.

RedStarUnited

Our fans were terrible, a big game and an even bigger chance to put us back in the top 4 picture and we fold. If we'd have got behind them, they'd have rallied and beat Chelsea as they were there for the taking.

Says it all when the biggest roar from the crowd was when 7 minutes of injury time were announced and a big clap when the attendance figure was also announced.

We're not going to achieve what we want the team to, if we just sit and take it when they're performing below par.
Goes hand in hand though doesnt it. If the fans feel the players are doing everything to get going, they increase the noise. The players were coasting for the whole second half.

acrebo

Historically, today would’ve been the poor performance ‘blip’ in an otherwise decent run-in.

Now it’s become one of the better results. Says it all.

Thiagoal

Our fans were terrible, a big game and an even bigger chance to put us back in the top 4 picture and we fold. If we'd have got behind them, they'd have rallied and beat Chelsea as they were there for the taking.

Says it all when the biggest roar from the crowd was when 7 minutes of injury time were announced and a big clap when the attendance figure was also announced.

We're not going to achieve what we want the team to, if we just sit and take it when they're performing below par.
The atmosphere around me in the lower north stand was great all game to be fair! Maybe some of you 'fans' that watch on your illegal streams should make more of an effort to get to the games yourself! Considering how shit we were I was amazed at how lively it was!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Opportunity well and truly missed. Lukaku actually tried in the first half, any danger of him staying onside in the second half?! Proof that there are some half decent players in there, just no where near the quality to take us forward. Rojo for how rash and aggressive he is, shows you what a good ball playing CB can do. Passed through the lines more in 5 mins than lindelof and Bailly did all game.

APJRed

I'm worried about OGS's capacity to make difficult decisions. Romero should have been on for DDG today. DDG's ball handling and distribution have been poor for weeks and he needed to be rested, particularly as this was a must win game for us to retain any hope of Champions League football next season.

As for the rest of the team, collectively they look knackered and incapable of maintaining the necessary level of intensity for the full 90 minutes. The second half performance was a stark contrast to the first. We looked jaded and out of ideas. Pace was non-existent. No one stepped up. It was a damning indictment not only of our recruitment policy but also our coaching and fitness regime. The overwhelming sense was of a group of players who had lost the will to fight and didn't want to be on the pitch (with the exception of McT who was trying hard to make something happen after his introduction). You get the feeling that many of them are just thinking about where they'll be next season.

Unfortunately it's clear to me that OGS's arrival was a false dawn. The players he talked up when he arrived have let him down big time. Although he's a fan like us and has significant history with the club I'm concerned whether he has the nous or managerial credibility to oversee the rebuild which this debacle of a season necessitates.

iKeano

Does anyone else understand why Ashley Young insists on taking every throw in?
Is he the only one capable of making us look like throw-ins are a new rule every time we get one and we're not really sure how they work?! Jesus wept.

Good 20min spell in the first half, didn't capitalize on it. Another De Gea howler and the writing was on the wall, no composure, no plan b, absolutely no leaders on the pitch at all. Inexcusably played an injured Rashford for last 10mins of the first half and even more ridiculously with him for 20mins in the second half.
Could have give 77mins injury time and the players would still be running around Old Trafford without a brain-cell between them.

Member 113277

Sarri said the Rojo foul on Willian was "orange" (not quite a red but worse than a yellow). What do you lot think?
He was lucky not to get a straight red, it was out of control and dangerous.

Heelguy57

A few things:

Team’s psyche is terrible. After DDG’s screw-up they went into a shell. That is on the manager. While Ole seems like a really nice guy, kidding around with opposing players when the season is in the line sends the wrong message. There is also absolutely no on the pitch leadership. I don’t recall anyone going over to DDG after the goal to try and support him.

Players are simply not good enough. The EPL is the top 2 and then the next 8-9 teams. While we are obviously a big 6 club, right now that is simply based on money and who we are. Only Pogba might start at City or Liverpool. Most of our other starters would have a battle to start at Everton now. We are much closer to Wolves then we are to Liverpool and City and that is unacceptable.

They are showing a documentary here in the states on the Treble. Contrast between these players and current ones could not be more stark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fridge chutney

Not the best display. Not the worst.

We need a good offseason.

Let's forget this absolutely rubbish season.

AngliaRed

Saw this on twitter and it’s a perfect summary:

- Mata and Herrera very good today

- Lukaku played well in 1st half

- Bailly & Lindelof solid

- Shaw our Player of the Season

- Rashford is struggling

- De Gea needs to be rotated

- Young loses the ball to often

- Secondhalf disappointing

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I'm tired of Lukaku, decent display first half but spent the whole second half recovering.

Love De Gea, but his and our sake drop him.

Bailly is Bailly, looked good then got injured. Might be worth keeping as a backup but can't plan with him as a starter.

I've accepted that Herrera is leaving and we can defo upgrade on him, but I like him and we look a way better team with him in

pascell

Goes hand in hand though doesnt it. If the fans feel the players are doing everything to get going, they increase the noise. The players were coasting for the whole second half.
Yeah I know what you mean but if the players need a boost the fans should know, today was one of those days were we (the fans) needed to drag that last goal in.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We need to decide whether we are going to press, or retreat and play on the counter attack. Too many times today I saw 3 players pressing with a passive midfield. If you are going to press then everyone needs to press. Otherwise it just makes it too easy for the opposition to get out of their half. The only player on the field who should be open is their keeper. But if we all going to press, then we need to find our shape. We are playing somewhere in between that and it's frustrating as hell...

pascell

The atmosphere around me in the lower north stand was great all game to be fair! Maybe some of you 'fans' that watch on your illegal streams should make more of an effort to get to the games yourself! Considering how shit we were I was amazed at how lively it was!
There was small sections that were I agree and the J Stand were trying their best. Maybe they should, going into my 14th season as a season ticket holder I do my best to get behind the team, being sat in the SAF stand isn't the best. Me and my brother tried our best but if those around you arent interested, what can you do.

RedCurry

Even though we’re on a shit run, I see glimpses of what we’re trying to do. Even against City there were good moments.

There was something today in having mata being flanked by Rashford and Lukaku.

freddie the red

Reasonable first half display and deserving of the lead but fell off the cliff after Dave's blunder.
Very dismaying that the display petered out in the second half when we knew (did they though?) that a win against Chelsea was absolutely essential to our CL qualification chances.
When there's no effort ie v Everton, there's not enough quality in the squad to see us through and even when the effort is there it's not backed up by quality required, therefore, big changes needed during the summer.
So, more than likely no CL next season which most people say means we don't attract top quality for next season.
I'd rather look at it a different way and say screw them and look to recruit young, good quality PL players from lower teams and start to rebuild by looking towards the title first.
I'm talking about players like Brooks at Bournemouth, Wan-Bissaka, Sessengnon, Barnes at Leicester, Ward-Prowse, Rice, Moutinho and Neves at Wolves and then some experienced quality like Alderweireld, Son and Eriksen at Spurs (tougher to get I know!)
Today was a huge let down, a 3 match mini league to get into the CL and they blew it:mad:

Roger777

Lukaku's stepovers he ain't fooling no one!
It's humiliating to watch...

He acts like a wasp has gone down his shorts and is floating around his bum h*le and its causing a freak reaction.

This clown couldn't fool a dog with a chew...

He's a joke.

Last edited:

Raw

Yep, but a season away from European competition just to concentrate on the league and cups would be beneficial. Pity we can't opt out.
We could potentially just play our reserves but our European coefficient will take a hit. We'll play a team with a mix of first team and reserves and probably go out to some Spanish side.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I thought the fans were great. I was up in the North Stand and the fans were bouncing all game. Great atmosphere all round.

The fans were behind the players all game, they’re too too shit and toothless to actually make it count.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We could potentially just play our reserves but our European coefficient will take a hit. We'll play a team with a mix of first team and reserves and probably go out to some Spanish side.
Tbh the likes of Gomes/Chong/Greenwood could happily play with a reserve midfield like fred/garner/Matic and still comfortably beat some of the lesser europa teams.

I wouldn’t even care if they got out of the group stage anyway. It would be good experience for them, better than the reserves league.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
One rough thing- there is no excuse for De Gea. He has been distracted- should be benched for remaining games. He even looked distracted in replay.

Sorry Dave - I love your bones - but you need time off to see where your priorities lie

Moriarty

Don't we get fined if we field a weak team in the EL?

dogwithabone

Saw this on twitter and it’s a perfect summary:

- Mata and Herrera very good today

- Lukaku played well in 1st half

- Bailly & Lindelof solid

- Shaw our Player of the Season

- Rashford is struggling

- De Gea needs to be rotated

- Young loses the ball to often

- Secondhalf disappointing

Yep can’t argue with that. Only things I’d add are that Matic was very good in first half and Pogba had his moments without ever getting properly hold of the game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looked good in the first half, Herrera being back was very welcome.
On top decently, until that daisy cutter being not only fumbled by De Gea, but him taking an age to get up after too.

Second half an absolute end of season level dirge - nothing at all to get excited about.

The way we leave width to two full backs who offer nothing offensively is a wacky tactic.

redshaw

I thought the fans were great. I was up in the North Stand and the fans were bouncing all game. Great atmosphere all round.

The fans were behind the players all game, they’re too too shit and toothless to actually make it count.
Yes, I was there too today in the North Stand, Stretford end were great most of the game, the whole end was on their feet very bouncy and the North Stand joined in too. Was a really good atmosphere considering the lack of action for most of the game but perhaps the mics aren't set up well. This wasn't just pockets of fans in the Stretford end.

Said before the game we should've played Romero and pig sick to see De Gea again drop another clanger.

George The Best

Hugely disappointing. After a great run following Jose’s sacking they’ve got back into their armchairs since Ole was announced as permanent. We’ll finish 5th now with a massive challenge to get the right players in.

Web of Bissaka

Oh.. surprise to see majority of comments are more negative today. :nervous:

Maybe because I didn't have any expectation from this game, don't care about what the result will be and just try to enjoy the game...

I find our team played just fine today. Not much to criticise, definitely their best after a long 1-2 months of consistent poor football.

Our players gave it their all. Herrera and Mata made big difference. Lukaku also finally decided to seriously play today is crucial. The rest did fine. Shaw decided to attack early on, then cautious afterwards likely because of tactical instructions, same with Young, cautious and focus of defending afterwards as Sarri throw more attacking players up.

Fantastic start, slowed down to half-time, then second half back to business but struggle to put consistent stamp on the game, yet no doubt all our players tried their best.

:D Fine game.
Honestly I find the level of effort and "activeness" similar to how the players (and coaches) tried early on in that fantastic run in Ole's first 1-2 months. Serious. No win result to "favor" prove it though.

Kids on the bench for the next two games please~
Time to drop players Ole want to get rid next games.

FFK Norway

Supports
Fredrikstad FK and Brighton
Imagine this if all the personal mistaces that has happend for 2 months never happend. Then United would been third cause thats how many points United has lost from personal errors and not from playing bad. If so then all would have supported Ole and been happy.

Pleas tell me how a manager can stop players from dooing personal mistaces cause i would really like to know. As im a coach myself i tell the lads how to play and somdtimes we win somdtimes we lose. But i stille havent found a way to stop my players from an error now and then. Cause thats What humans do sence we aint Machines. So how can you blame solskjær ??

Those personal mistaces is something Ole cant prevent and any other manager cant prevent it either. But ofcourse if you aint good enough as a player then you will do more frequent mistaces and sence it was not Ole that bought Fred for 50 mill he cant be blamed. But he did listen when many at redcafe kept saying they wanted Fred to play. Ole did not buy a singel player hes just trying to get something out of a miss shaped stable. That needs a massive cleansing.

I haveto say that alot of you are really bad fans the way you keep whining at the team and the manager. You win together and lose together. And until United has a overhaul and they fix all the broken things you cant atack the manager cause he must be allowed to try and fix it before you judge him.

Kharhaz

Supports
Liverpool
It's humiliating to watch...

He acts like a wasp has gone down his shorts and is floating around his bum h*le and its causing a freak reaction.

This clown couldn't fool a dog with a chew...

He's a joke.
Its like the undersoil heating has been switched up a notch and he is feeling the effects.

Judas

Open to offers
The second half was one of the most disappointing performances I’ve seen from us in a very long time, the worst thing is how fully predictable it was and how much I knew it would be like that. We’re incapable of 90 minutes of great football.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea