PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 October 2022

Denis79

Very happy with our play. Estatic even. What a difference from last season!

justboy68

How often do those penalties get given? Stupid from Scott but it's still bloody annoying, you see those 3 or 4 times a game!

Love Casemiro!

mu4c_20le

When a foreigner comes to your country, grabs you by the collar and starts screaming in your face

VictoriaRed

We deserved more, but will take the point. Sancho cannot start anymore. He looks devoid of confidence, again. I'd like to see us start Pellestri in his stead.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
First half you were by far the better team. Applaud Potter for making a change early, most managers would have tried to wait until half time. Second half we probably just edged it until we scored the penalty, only after did you really threaten but then neither team really did threaten for much of the game. Both teams clearly lack a forward, I’d say Chelsea need a attacking midfielder too.

Very cagey game, a little sloppy in places. Keep saying it Chelsea lack goals. But Potter is making progress. Both better than the 2 man Spud team despite our deficiencies.
Sums it up. Personally I'm delighted with our first half display. So refreshing to see us play that brand of football. On our attack both LW and CF are huge issues as Sancho is completely devoid of confidence and our only real CF is injured and injury prone.

TheArse

Supports
Arsenal
Very weird another couple of minutes weren't added due to the goal being scored. Thought Chelsea looked cooked.

Shame McTominay gave away the pen. Also what is going on with Sancho? Looks shot. Hope Varane is okay, he's so integral to how you play.

Apart from that from very positives signs and Casemiro with the clutch equaliser wow. Onwards and upwards for United.

Chelsea look the be in the same boat as United in terms of desperately needing a # 9. Will be interesting to see who gets who in the coming transfer window, will be fierce competition to claim a striker.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
We played very well for the first half hour, Casemiro was running the game, but once Chelsea changed things the game was very scrappy (we did still have the Antony chance just before half time that would have altered things if we'd gone in ahead) and opportunities were limited for both sides in the second half.

It's been a very long time since we've played against some of the bigger teams and been the more proactive side, it's twice in a week we've done it now which is really encouraging and hopefully with more time under Ten Hag and with smart acquisitions in the coming windows maybe we might finally be on to something.
Absolutely and we're starting to look a proper team. The squad is obviously still thin, despite the crazy money spent, and obviously gaps, like cover up front.

I think we also have to accept that with the relentless fixture schedule this season, there will be lulls in games and some flat performances, eg Newcastle.

I'm enjoying watching us again and believing we can we beat virtually anyone now (barring City at least for now), even when we go a goal behind like yesterday.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be honest I am very impressed with the way we played. How often do we go to Stamford Bridge and dominate most half of the game. We have dominate possession (before Varane injury), have more shots on goals, and got a convincing result there. If not for Mctominay stupidity we should have won the game too.

I think we are on the right track, we will definitely finish top 4 this season. ETH is the man for us.

Asleepdemand

Quite impressive, remember this team had to run 122km just 2 days ago and i didn't expect them to control the game like that till Varane's injury.

Look like we are capable of dominating any team in the league now (except Man Oil ofcourse)

MyDevil

First half, we were in control but lack of a striker presence to threaten the keeper. Build ups were good but there were no attackers available for the midfielders to provide the passes. Sancho is almost invincible.

Second half is more even game. Both team just look to shut the other team out. McT amateurish defending almost cost us.

Steve 007

Beat Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and outplayed Chelsea. The green shoots are there. The little man at the back was outstanding, Dalot looked brilliant at times. Casimero in the centre is proving to be an excellent purchase. If only Rashford could put some of these chances to bed and Bruno and Sancho could hit their top form. Still, happy with what I’ve seen.

Belisarius

I just re-watched the injury time at the end of the game. Before the goal we had two high crosses from Bruno into the box, then Shaw made a very nice play to send Elanga down the left and he drilled a low cross across the Chelsea box and then Dalot drilled a low cross across their box from the right. Then, of course, Shaw crossed to Casemiro for the goal. That's five potentially dangerous situations created just during the injury time. It's great to see that kind of reaction when we go a goal down. I can remember some games the last few seasons where we were down a goal and didn't create a single chance and had no urgency in our play for the last 20 minutes.

JeffFromHK

I just re-watched the injury time at the end of the game. Before the goal we had two high crosses from Bruno into the box, then Shaw made a very nice play to send Elanga down the left and he drilled a low cross across the Chelsea box and then Dalot drilled a low cross across their box from the right. Then, of course, Shaw crossed to Casemiro for the goal. That's five potentially dangerous situations created just during the injury time. It's great to see that kind of reaction when we go a goal down. I can remember some games the last few seasons where we were down a goal and didn't create a single chance and had no urgency in our play for the last 20 minutes.
the way we overplayed and overpassed when we dominated in the first half was so annoying. especially in those short corner setups. What on earth were our players thinking?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Haven't been totally sold on Casemiro until now (and let's hope that doesn't jinx things). Chelsea's midfield often dominate other teams but not this time. Absolute powerhouse performance from Cas: he bullied opposition and inspired those around him. We do need at least one more creative player alongside him to be a real threat again (FdJ, anyone?) but, he along with the back four, made sure that we didn't buckle in the second half having failed to take advantage of a great first half - under Ole, I'm pretty sure we'd have lost by at least two.

The Varane/Martinez pairing could go one to be right up there with our best. They complement each other very well and I have to say, even when Vrnae came off, I've been right to have faith in Lindelof: another flawless showing when he had to come on.

The problem is the one I've be talking about for two years: we do not score enough goals and we do not have the forwards to take half (or better) chances. We need to find someone in January, even (and made only) on a loan basis.

On a side note, when will DDG even go the right way for a penalty? No way it was saveable but he rarely even gets close. Still think we need to move in the market there for next season too (not just because of this reason).

Sancho was far too anonymous again and I know most won't agree but I'd play Ronaldo out wide ahead of him or give Garnacho a run...

Woodzy

I feel like we should just sign a new left back every season just to make sure Luke Shaw keeps his finger out of his arse.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I feel like we should just sign a new left back every season just to make sure Luke Shaw keeps his finger out of his arse.
it's more of not letting him near McDonald's! :devil::)

Looks much slimmer again - and that's when he's at his best

NoLegendary

Haven't been totally sold on Casemiro until now (and let's hope that doesn't jinx things). Chelsea's midfield often dominate other teams but not this time. Absolute powerhouse performance from Cas: he bullied opposition and inspired those around him. We do need at least one more creative player alongside him to be a real threat again (FdJ, anyone?) but, he along with the back four, made sure that we didn't buckle in the second half having failed to take advantage of a great first half - under Ole, I'm pretty sure we'd have lost by at least two.

The Varane/Martinez pairing could go one to be right up there with our best. They complement each other very well and I have to say, even when Vrnae came off, I've been right to have faith in Lindelof: another flawless showing when he had to come on.

The problem is the one I've be talking about for two years: we do not score enough goals and we do not have the forwards to take half (or better) chances. We need to find someone in January, even (and made only) on a loan basis.

On a side note, when will DDG even go the right way for a penalty? No way it was saveable but he rarely even gets close. Still think we need to move in the market there for next season too (not just because of this reason).

Sancho was far too anonymous again and I know most won't agree but I'd play Ronaldo out wide ahead of him or give Garnacho a run...
Ronaldo is done and over, a has-been. Agree with the rest of your take.

captaincantona

We were good again but Lacked a cutting edge again and didn’t get that slice of luck we did against Spurs. Rashford needs to go back left - where he was scoring…because Sancho is gonna drive me to drink…that lad is only one who looks like he is still playing 5 aside with Ole. Anthony ran back 40 yards yesterday to press when Chelsea we breaking - all his touches were secure and certain, short passes direct, never casual. Sancho still strolls and plays some of the most lackadaisical arsehole passes I have ever seen. So far this season he has had to be pulled of how many times for just being in 2nd gear? He should have been hooked v spurs as well.

Guy needs his arse kicked.

RopersReturn

Good match with everyone working hard except for Sancho, who seems to be a beat behind the others for some reason? So he should be replaced by Rashford on the left wing where he’s more comfortable.
Obviously we still lack the potency in attack which will hopefully be addressed in January.

Josep Dowling

Starting to see ETH influence. The penalty decision looks harsh. You see that every week in the league. Feels like United are getting punished a lot for minor fouls recently. We desperately need a striker and replacements for McFred in midfield.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Pissed off that we gave them a penalty, which is more than they deserved, imo.

Delighted with Casemiro getting the equaliser. We didn't deserve to leave Stamford Bridge with nothing.

Annoyed with our attackers, who didn't do an awful lot and fluffed a few great chances. Get in 2 world class strikers, and we win this game. Easily. We were the better team.
Tbf two worldclass strikers will win you 90% of games. Greedy much

Hughie77

How many chances are we creating for a CF? Seems an all too simple solution.
How many chances did Rashford have to get a goal v Spurs guy should have had 3. Chelsea game he got 1 good chance same thing keeper saves it. A top striker takes those chances imo , Same against toon gets a header right at the death over the bar that what this team is lacking .

Mr. Robot

Deserved penalty for Chelsea, that was stupid from McTominay.

We played very well. I really look forward to our matches again. We’re desperate for a clinical striker and a midfielder next and we will be in good shape.

Maticmaker

We should have been 0-2 up at half time, but we spurned the good chances (Rashford/Antony). Chelsea caught up in the second half.
Bringing a physical player like McT on was always a risk near the end, he wasn't up to the speed of the match and paid for it, got suckered in, then up pops Casemiro...how in the hell did he get that ball into the net from his angle of approach to the header?

Still don't think Bruno and Eriksen works properly... maybe in time?
Sancho is not really doing anything, and he doesn't look to be bothered either.

Last edited:

Mr PG

I've been thinking we should be using Casemiro upfront when we need a goal. Felt against Newcastle in the last 15 minutes I wanted Fred as DM and Casemiro upfront...his heading and shooting is very good.

Cole9

Very poor from McTominay and he'd only been on the pitch a few minutes. We showed character to fight back though. Cracking header from Casemiro but I'd be disappointed if that was my keeper. If he'd used his right hand he would've saved it.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
It could in theory but won't because of Varane's injuries. Sadly it's a case of when he gets injured, not if. It's a damn shame as he's such a good player. Lindelof's showing signs of an Erik upgrade like Shaw and Dalot so here's hoping it continues.

It was a blatant penalty. Just because other refs don't give it doesn't mean the one that gets it right should be criticised. To use the old cliche, what if that had been at the other end and a Chelsea defender rugby tackled Rashford a few minutes from the end at 0-0. I doubt many would've been happy to say it was ok as they're rarely given!

We simply have to bring in a proven scorer in January, even if it means paying the United tax or a January tax. It could mean the difference between CL and EL next season and all the issues that brings in trying to sign players if it's the Europa.

Man of the Match

Casemiro image Casemiro 78% of 328 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 295 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw