EL W Europa League Round of 32 - 2nd Leg

Manchester United 5:0 Club Brugge

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 February 2020

theklr

Why did they keep running their socks off in 2nd half though? Should have conserved energy for Everton.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The only teams I have concerns about is Wolverhampton and Inter. The rest of the teams i expect us to have full control against in this tournament.

Snuffkin

Why did they keep running their socks off in 2nd half though? Should have conserved energy for Everton.
They were enjoying themselves and our defenders were hardly stretched. Mctominay was taken off as was Bruno and James. They are starters against Everton. Fred won't feel any pain tonight with that brace.

Jericho

They usually take the foot off the gas when they go ahead. Nice to see them working hard all game for a change.

RU Devil

Nice win. Bruno & Mata are simpatico and make things look easy. Fred also seems to be on the same wavelength. Maybe it's a Latin thing.

Can't get too excited considering it's only Brugge plus they were down a man, but good to see they knew how to really take it to an undermanned team.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Best we've played for ages. And it wasn't just for 20 mins or one half. Cracking performance.

AndyMUFC

Terrific display, the ten men was always going to help but that doesn't mean you have to play the type of football we did. Bruno has made a world of difference, him and Mata link up brilliantly and made up for Ighalo to get his first.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Fernandes looks really special and seems to have brought other players up with him. The passing has got much quicker.

Run_time_error

Excellent result. Nice to see Ighalo get off the mark and a nice brace for Fred. Don't we look so much better with Bailly in for Lindelof? I know we weren't really put under pressure but still. Bailly all the way for me. Fernandes seems to bring everyone into the game, even Mata had a good game. Fred and McTominay are a good pairing. I think the only disappointment was James not really firing. I hope it's just a temporary dip. Looking forward to the next round.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Fernandes looks really special and seems to have brought other players up with him. The passing has got much quicker.
Agreed. It does show how the mental side of players and a team is so important. We knew that confidence was low, but this boost shows how much I think. It does obviously help that as you say, he's not only a special player, but one that can inspire and elevate the others around him.

Hope it long continues, and now that the board, Ole and the coaches have seen what this kind of player can bring to us again, they should only add players in future who have a similar or higher level and attributes.

RedDevilRoshi

An all round excellent performance and result to match. Our best performance of the season. From minute one, we were on the front foot and didn’t take our foot off the gas.

Fernandes was different class throughout and Fred is arguably the most improved player in the country.

always_hoping

Just back from Old Trafford, one of my most enjoyable nights there for a very long time.

Obviously the sending off made it easier than it could have been but sometimes against 10 men it can be difficult

Great to see ighalo score on his first start. Rare to see Fred score nevermind twice. Bruno a joy to watch live, he also brings out the best in the players around him. Greenwood looked very sharp when introduced.

Sidenote Mignolet got some amount off banter off the United fans, he couldn't stop falling on his own arse. Are you Gerrard in disguise we all sang.

As for the next round, I don't really care so long as its not a long trip away.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Brugge has 50% possession (in an away match) and yet lost 0-5. Only shows how deceiving possession is or over-rate a stat it is.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Bruno is a miracle worker. We are completely rejuvenated with him in the side, it's amazing how quickly quality players can have an impact on a side.

A total pleasure to watch.
He is just part of the pieces we are building up.

Red00012

Just back from Old Trafford, one of my most enjoyable nights there for a very long time.

Obviously the sending off made it easier than it could have been but sometimes against 10 men it can be difficult

Great to see ighalo score on his first start. Rare to see Fred score nevermind twice. Bruno a joy to watch live, he also brings out the best in the players around him. Greenwood looked very sharp when introduced.

Sidenote Mignolet got some amount off banter off the United fans, he couldn't stop falling on his own arse. Are you Gerrard in disguise we all sang.

As for the next round, I don't really care so long as its not a long trip away.
Istanbul or Wolves would be 51/49 for me.

Devil may care

Very good performance, it was nice to see us looking like we had some attacking structure as a possession team, the link between Bruno and Mata was class.

Fletchageddon

Good to see the hard work pay off for all the players. Team is starting to gel nicely. Loads of little interplays between players developing across the pitch which is a very positive sign.

Stig

Can Bruno and Pogba play in the same team or will they get in each others' way ?

Or is there not enough room for them and Pogba's ego ?

Or, can they play together ?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Excellent result. Nice to see Ighalo get off the mark and a nice brace for Fred. Don't we look so much better with Bailly in for Lindelof? I know we weren't really put under pressure but still. Bailly all the way for me. Fernandes seems to bring everyone into the game, even Mata had a good game. Fred and McTominay are a good pairing. I think the only disappointment was James not really firing. I hope it's just a temporary dip. Looking forward to the next round.
James needs to do better, but let's not forget that it was James' sublime shot that inspired their defender to start a goal-keeping career and got us the all-important penalty…

I know it's only Bruges, but I really think Igahlo will be a player for United. He's going to be a great back up and score big goals.
I hope so, too. He's clearly still getting into full form and should improve

Last edited:

The Urban Goose

The only teams I have concerns about is Wolverhampton and Inter. The rest of the teams i expect us to have full control against in this tournament.
After that I'm hoping we get Inter and the chance to dump Lukaku out! Bring it on.

croadyman

I caught some of the full game replayed on MUTV and Gardner compared Diatta to Mane. What do people think about that comparison out of interest?

VictoriaRed

How about the red? What a fantastic dive. Worth a poster, that. Shocking! What a clown!!!!!

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 56% of 332 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brugge win
  • Draw