PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 April 2016

Morpheus 7

Good result tonight, fine finish from Darmian. Still a really flat game, the empty seats tell the story of United at the moment. We might sneak top 4 but it shows how poor the league has been this year(except Leicester and spurs). We are playing Everton at a good time, nothing would surprise me this year. though. It's about salvaging something before LVG finally fecks off. The board will be worried about them empty seats tonight. They only care about getting fourth and filling at Old Trafford and making money. They will be worried tonight.

mu4c_20le

Closing in on City and Arsenal. Also like the fact that we still have a hand in deciding the title.

GloryHunter07

Happy with the points but Palace were just not at the races. Should've put several more past them.

ChaddyP

Joke is on Barca tonight; those losers waste their time with 8 goals while we score 2 and still get the same amount of points. Goals are totes overrated.
I know you're taking the piss but the irony is that GD means feck all to them whereas it actually means something to us if we happened to finish level on points with another team :lol::lol::(

Norris

A very very professional display. There was the typical van Gaalisms in there, but our play in the final 3rd was much better. But our final ball/cross is still lacking a bit.
  • The fact that we didn't concede even a single shot on target is immense. I know people will come here or already have and say that Palace were rubbish and useless etc, but very impressed with our defense today. Smalling was immense in the physical battles and Blind in the psychological one's. Our Full Backs were very good as well.
  • This 4-3-3 works really well in my opinion (Surprise surprise!). I loved the constant movement of our midfielders, Lingard and Mata swapping positions, Martial, Rashford interchanging. It was fantastic movement from the players till about the 65 minute mark after which they began to tire. Hope LvG sticks with this formation. It has far too many merits.
  • Might have gone a little unnoticed, but loved Schneiderlin's performance as well. Unlike his all actions style for Southhampton, this was such a disciplined shift he put in. Constantly doubled up with either full backs, used the space really well and made himself available throughout the game. Impressed with him today.
  • Rashford's dummy for Lingard was just :drool:
  • Souare or Square or whatever his name was should have gotten two red cards. That was beyond dangerous play!!
  • DDG was very average :p

Robbie Boy

I know you're taking the piss but the irony is that GD means feck all to them whereas it actually means something to us if we happened to finish level on points with another team :lol::lol::(
Our lack of goals is just atrocious. We are on 42 in the league! For fecks sake.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
:lol:
Have you seen this by any chance?
VIDEO: "Heritage or junk*? In Moscow, the fate of a historic building [Taganskaya telephone station] is being debated"

*The Russian word хлам / khlam translates as: junk, trash, rubbish. Interesting word choice on the part of NTV.

Saw it today on facebook - and a few hours later someone uses this word on an English-speaking forum

ants7

I'm not going to get fooled by this result. 2:0 - yes, but it includes an own goal and a Palace side which was really all over the place. Thankfully, Darmian scored a screamer so the scoreline seems more convincing.

Wouldn't mind this result if we'd usually trash lower-placed teams and we were just saving our energy for Saturday. That's not the case unfortunately. We struggled and at the end managed to escape from drawing with Aston Villa, who are now relegated.

3 points in the bag but still need other teams to feck up in order for us to get to top 4.

Let's see what happens on Saturday - the biggest game in LVG's Manchester United career yet.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
:lol:
Have you seen this by any chance?
VIDEO: "Heritage or junk*? In Moscow, the fate of a historic building [Taganskaya telephone station] is being debated"

*The Russian word хлам / khlam translates as: junk, trash, rubbish. Interesting word choice on the part of NTV.

Saw it today on facebook - and a few hours later someone uses this word on an English-speaking forum
Heh, no I don't do Facebook, my stream tonight was in Russian and the commentary was funny so myself and @SqueakyWeasel have been posting Russian to entertain ourselves.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Very comfortable win, 10 shots on target and CP zero on target.
Quite enjoyed a nice relaxed win.
Not quite getting the criticism but could have had one or two more.
Lingard yet again another pointless performance, playing with 10 men every game makes things more difficult.
City have to play Arsenal so top 4 not quite out of our hands.

Last edited:

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
All our best performances this season have correlated with full-backs being on song. Hasn't happened enough but when it does it helps our one-paced attack look a bit more threatening.

Hopefully with Shaw back next season and a new RB we can kick on (with a new manager).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tonight's games smack of teams with an eye on the semis at the weekend.

Watford, Palace, Everton all comfortably seen off, and luckily because Palace were so non existent, and we still have an inkling of a chance at top 4 we were able to stroll them off.

Very easy win, and all good for continuing the momentum.

Hope West Brom can do what they came close to doing away at City. Even a draw would really get Arsenal butts castanetting!!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Result: Routine three points, expected but you never know this season. We're still keeping some ground on the top four but personally I don't see us in it come the end of the season.
Performance: We were decent enough. We certainly were boring though, I was truly fed up by about the 70th minute but in a match before the biggest match of the season so far I'm fine with that.
We were still somewhat slow though, and the amount of times we get in behind and should be shooting, only to pass it into a defender is infuriating.
Players who did well: I thought there was a few players who did well tonight. First off obviously Darmian deserves a mention after scoring one of the better goals we've scored this season. Not only that though, he did play quite well and looked regularly involved in attack. I liked his professional foul when they got away as well, too many of our players are too honest and wont do that.
I thought Smalling and Blind we're good when they were actually called upon.
I was impressed with Rashford, its nice to see when he doesn't score he can still contribute.
Players who I thought struggled: First off I thought Lingard was particularly poor tonight, he's so so sloppy. It's a shame because he's brilliant at getting into these positions but he can't do anything with it most of the time.
I didn't think Schneiderlin did so well, but then I'm not sure Palace gave him a lot to do.
Rooney I thought was alright, not really poor but not great. Did some nice passes but there again, Palace gave our midfield little to contend with.
I wasn't impressed by Mata either, but then I rarely am. He was lively though so I'll let him off tonight.
Poor, pathetic Palace:
They were so bad, so so bad. They did virtually nothing when they were on the ball (Not that they really ever had spells of possession) the fact that at one point we were 2-0 up and they had pretty much every man behind the ball just stinks to me. I mean we've had to put up with some poor performances at Old Trafford, but to be a Palace fan who has travelled all that way to see that must be heart-breaking.
I hope their side can put a bit of fight in for them when they play their semi-final.

GiddyUp

Meh. Love a win though but I don't know, nothing really changes. I don't want to be a spoilt brat because I do understand our position at the moment. But come on, Villa and Paalace was a perfect opertunity to really turn it on, sadly, no. Good win though.

pacifictheme

Would have been mental to put any more effort in tonight with saturday looming. 2 0 was the perfect result. Sounds like a fairly dull affair, but 3 days before the semi final that type of game is perfect.

Spock

It's only about getting the three points right now. Absolutely nothing else matters, short of horror referee decisions and the like.

We didn't look that great, but we looked better and better is better than the same shit on a stick we've seen most of this season. Valencia stood out for me, as did Darmian. Rooney still looked like a footballer looking for a purpose, but that's to be expected given his decline and his lack of fitness.

What I'm still struggling with is why Lingard keeps getting starts while Pereira is nowhere to be found.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
3 points, little bit of pressure on Arsenal tomorrow and tears from the "lose for the greater good" crew. I'll take it.
Oh yeah, a 2-0 win against Crystal Palace AND an outside chance at making top four. Van Gaal has really stuck it to his doubters.

NK86

Would have been mental to put any more effort in tonight with saturday looming. 2 0 was the perfect result. Sounds like a fairly dull affair, but 3 days before the semi final that type of game is perfect.
Except that this was not done by design to keep players fresh for Everton, this is just how we are.

NK86

Were we shit again?
I watched the first half and it was the same crap we have served throughout the season. So could not be bothered to waste a good night's sleep for the snoozefest which I was sure would ensue.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I watched the first half and it was the same crap we have served throughout the season. So could not be bothered to waste a good night's sleep for the snoozefest which I was sure would ensue.
I didn't bother staying up either. :)

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 1:0 Crystal Palace