g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 05 March 2018

Giggs86

Both Sanchez and Lukaku seem to be the only guys who urged and vocalised their opinions in egging them forward -- as opposed to the image/celebrity-driven Pogba and Lingard who are all smiles and fun.
Agree with that. It feels like Sanchez and Lukaku are the types of players who would be devastated with a loss while Pogba and Lingard would just shrug it off.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Are you not entertained!? Thought in the first half we had moments where we looked a threat but sloppiness and selfishness was letting us down.. Rashford was brilliant when he came on and gave us some thrust down the left and the rest was history.

Concern is that the two stars of the side look really out of form and their egos are bigger than they're performances at the moment. Both deserve to be dropped tbh.

Shimo

Thrilled to win after being down 2 and playing like a mid level team for the first half. I don't get how we can have such talented players but, not a brain amongst them - the middle of the pitch is packed, yet the likes of Alexis and Pogba just kept turning to the middle.

Is Alexis allergic to the wide areas, several times he himself could have gone outside on the left or played a ball out wide but, no, he has to do his turn turn turn and right into the congested middle.The whole team has got to be smarter and recognize situations better. Even at the end, after Rashford and as a result the team was getting so much out of him playing as an out and out winger, he then started to come in and congest things more.

No way can we afford to start on the backfoot against the scum on Saturday - lets hope the high of this win will inject some urgency into starting well.

chicha14

No againts the best team, but still one of the best wins this season. Coming from 2-0, on the road, to win, is a great acheivment.
Like Hargreaves said after the game, regardless of the opposition or the level at which you are playing, coming back from 2 goals down and winning is an excellent result.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Like Hargreaves said after the game, regardless of the opposition or the level at which you are playing, coming back from 2 goals down and winning is an excellent result.
Winning when playing badly is a hallmark of a good team.

We did that under SAF many times, Liverpool used to do that under Paisley time and time again

eat_grass

Fantastic result, and great perseverance from the players. It's also not easy for a player like Mata whose game is predicated on being in sync with those around him to come on as a sub and have such a huge impact, so big props to him (and Rashford).

The comeback could only happen because United threw caution to the wind once down 2-0. Messe was playing at right-back for the last half-hour. United played with a back 2 for the last half-hour. This was Mourinho telling Lindelof and Smalling that the defense rested squarely on their (and de Gea's) shoulders, and everyone else attacked. Who in their right mind thinks that's a good way to start a match? Benteke's saved header is exactly the kind of big chance you'd expect to concede against that formation / personnel. And it required a huge save from the best keeper in the world (even though he had a poor night).

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Both Sanchez and Lukaku seem to be the only guys who urged and vocalised their opinions in egging them forward -- as opposed to the image/celebrity-driven Pogba and Lingard who are all smiles and fun.
Pogba and Lingard's online image and celebrations do seem to suggest they're fun-loving guys. However, I'm not so sure they would be professional footballers at United if they were not serious about their profession. Pogba is going through a bad patch at the moment.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I thought Rashford and Mata changed the dynamics of the game. They pulled their fullbacks wider giving more space in the middle. Prior to them coming on it was just too congested in the middle. First half was just a write-off with too many errors from the players.

mufcneville

Good spirit.

Decent winner that :cool: Not celebrated a goal like that since Martial's debut.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's rare that I feel sorry for the opposition, but I do have a bit of sympathy for Palace. All of their players put 110% into that one, up against it with so many injuries against statistically the second best team in the country. What's more, we were lucky to get 50% effort from most of our guys in the first half and started the second asleep which will have pissed off Mourinho to no end after the team talk. Goals change games, however, and once Chris Smalling got us in front we never looked like losing. Something shifted then and for once the players had a lot more about them, everyone's game was lifted. We attacked well, defended well for the most-part, de Gea was excellent with another worldie of a save when Palace did make a good chance in the second half. This was one of the fist times we've gone a goal down and I still thought we'd win come the 60 minute mark.

Hopefully this spurs us on for the Liverpool game now, being behind them when we played them would have been such a huge confidence blow.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm genuinely struggling to come up with a MOTM... not sure how Matic has currently got it, bar the goal he was dreadful (but what a goal).

Can I vote for their right back?

Stacks

Something inside me thinks we could take the game to opponents and be successful but for some reason we start slow/cautiously and lesser players seem like they can match. Its good to see the fight in us in this game

It does make you wonder why we couldn't do this when we played Spurs, this team is very bipolar at times.

moodyred

I must be really lucky. I woke up late to catch the match and the score was already 2-1. I will definitely watch the full match again after work today.

What I saw was an attacking United who seems to have forgotten its defences! It was end to end stuff and both sides had opportunities. We took ours while Palace will be left wondering how they had not scored another. Jose can set us up to play like a Liverpool or City, but I am sure he will not want to expose the defence like that if we are not a couple of goals down.

For the part that I watched, Matic was on top of everything. That goal was sublime. I do hope that our players can try to shoot from range more often. We just might see a few more goals than usual.

Oystaboi

Ok,a few points on last night's match.

1. We always seem to struggle going down to London. What seem to be straight forward games for our competition are often tough for us. Not a new phenomenon. Struggled under fergie, moyes and lvg.

2. Palace this season have overperformed against the bigger teams this year. Comprehensively beat arsenal and were very unlucky against city not to get three points.

3. A lot of praise needs to go to jose. His substitutes turned the game and our fitness levels got us the result. From the 70th minute onwards they were out on their feet while we were still firing.

4. Last night the two goals we conceded were very unlucky. First was a deflected long range effort, second was a clever free kick that caught us out. Apart from that Palace didn't cause too many problems (ddg super save aside). Granted they were sitting back a lot, but even if they hadn't scored early I don't think they would have caused us many problems.

5. One of the big problems for me this season has been our left back position. So many goals have come from mistakes letting their right sided attackers in. Our centre backs haven't been amazing, but a lot of the time they have been dragged out of position to try and cover the left back position. If Jose doesn't believe in Shaw he needs to address it quickly.

6. Whilst this season hasn't been the greatest by any stretch, we have come on leaps and bounds since last year. We finished 6th last year. If we finish second or third this year it shows real progress. Rome wasn't built in a day and we are on the way back!!

Reactions: SteveJ

Mr PG

When the ball bounced in front of Matic and he was shaping to shoot, I was shouting "DON'T FECKING BOTHER!!".... how wrong you can be :lol:
People don't know but Matic is the best long range shooter at the club.

Mr PG

Why are we so Jekyll and Hyde?
Team lacks balance now that we have a Sanchez problem. He will come good next season but currently he's benching much better players. His propensity to give away the ball is an accident waiting to happen especially for a less than energetic midfield like ours.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Happy with the win but I don't understand why we start games like we are sleepwalking. It's been a theme for us and we look low on energy and like we couldn't care less. It's to the teams disadvantage.

Mr PG

Pogba and Lingard's online image and celebrations do seem to suggest they're fun-loving guys. However, I'm not so sure they would be professional footballers at United if they were not serious about their profession. Pogba is going through a bad patch at the moment.
Pogba could do better but People are exaggerating how poor he was. Looks tired but always tried to make things happen. Went roaming in the second half when Scott was substituted but then we were chasing the game 2-0 down.

Skåre Willoch

Still buzzing. The best feeling I've had after a game for a long time. Dreadful first 60 minutes, but the final 30 minutes gave proper flashbacks to the time when turnaround like this were almost expected. Hopefully this builds confidence before facing Liverpool and the bearded egyptian on saturday.

devips

Two questions:

1. When was Valencia last substituted in a match? I somehow don't recall any such instance.

2. Is De Gea vulnerable to low drive at the near post? It has happened a number of times, the most recent one a couple of games back.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Two questions:

1. When was Valencia last substituted in a match? I somehow don't recall any such instance.

2. Is De Gea vulnerable to low drive at the near post? It has happened a number of times, the most recent one a couple of games back.
West Brom away, 66', December 17th. CSKA home, 72', before.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Was screaming for Alexis and Pogba to be hauled off at half time for Martial and Rashford.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Great to witness that comeback last night. I know it was only Palace and there's was nothing particularly huge on the game, but i can't remember the last time we scored a last minute winner being 2 down.

Probably missing an obvious game, but off the top of my head it just feels like so long ago.

desmondisback

Two questions:

I think he might be slightly - he shouldn't really have been beaten quite so easily at the near post - but then we are nit picking.

MP1711

Mourinho refused to specifically say what he told his players in the dressing room to elicit the remarkable turnaround but was scathing of their defending for Van Aanholt's strike.
"I cannot tell you half of the things I told [them]," Mourinho said. "I can only tell you the other half and that was about the tactical position in the first-half.
"Alexis was on the left and in the second half he was behind Lukaku. We gambled with two against two at the back with Matic protecting in front of them. Rashford on the left side. Half the message I can’t tell you because lots of ‘beep beep beep’ on television and the other half was tactical information. :lol:
He was right to chew them out, we were shocking in the first half.

Fully Fledged

I think it was the very definition of that today:wenger::D

It’s all in good fun anyway, mate. In my mind you reverse-jinxed the feck out of that game! I mostly keep away from the caf during matches, today your thread looked rather foolish though, wouldn’t you agree? Next time it’ll probably be me;)
I don’t think the result made his thread look foolish at all. The first 50 minutes of that game was probably the worst we have played in the last 5 seasons including under Moyes.
The comeback was epic and brought me to my feet screaming like a lunatic but there are 2 things to remember. It’s Palace and in the end they ran out of steam. When they did attack us they cut through us like a knife through butter. If not for that save from DDG we probably would have been 3-2 down before we could go 2-3 up. He still had a poor game though along with most of our top players.
Yes it was a great result but the performance was shocking.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 486 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:3 Man Utd