PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

tonnas

poor final balls, poor concentration, this squas lacks depth and is too raw. Also, Ole lacks the tactical nous to break down these type of teams ! Loooong season ahead.

Jimmy_Bond

Losing at home to palace is disgusting.

Yet people will stick with Ole even if we’re mid table - NEVER hire ex players as manager
Barcelona's entire club philosophy is build on a manager who was an ex player and Madrid won 3 CL's in a row with an ex player as manager.

Not saying this in support of Ole, but your statement is a little ridiculous.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Yeah, but he was responsible for bringing in Darmian, Matic, Bailly, Sanchez and Fred is yet to show anything worthwhile. He also played pretty tumescent football and expected the club to make up for his many expensive recruitment mistakes. No club can operate that way. I've never been keen on him since his Porto days
LVG bought Darmian.

Sanchez no one could have predicted his fall. He looked like he would be a good signing.

In bold. Sorry to burst your bubble, but its the board and the recruitment team to blame for that. 6 years of shit and Mourinho was only here for 2 of them.

LVG signed more dross than Mourinho. The transfer window under Moyes was also a disaster.

The same person/people have been involved in all of it. Woodward and co.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Disappointing result without a doubt.

There are encouraging signs though! They at least look like they are making an effort now and having a go.

Unfortunately there's a few players who are just not good enough, or maybe not consistent enough....hopefully the consistency will come with experience. But one or two are just not good enough at all!

I don't think they are that far away from everything clicking. When it does if they can get some consistency going and ride the wave they can be a very good team!

Mata should be playing at 10 until a quality player comes into the club. Say what you want about him, but he can spot a pass, and has the quality to pull it off. Lingatd just runs and has little to no guile to his game.

James Madison, Mason Mount, Phil Foden. Surely at least one of those can be got....at whatever price!

GenZRed

Normal service is resumed at Old Trafford I'm afraid. We were all on a high after the Chelsea game but put things into perspective, Chelsea did start that game well and if Tammy had scored in the first ten minutes it could have been a different story.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If teams park the bus we are clueless. That's not the hallmarks of a decent team let alone a good one.

Basically we have a counter attack and that's out lot.

fecking pathetic.

smudgegezer

I was looking forward to that game all day, and that happens *sigh*

personally, I did not see any cutthroat chances from us today. 71% possession and we lose, we have just done an Arsenal.

Maybe worse than the Cardiff result but maybe it is just how I am feeling at this moment, Lingard and maybe Mctominay should not start next week but I don't think Fred would do any better :confused: What to do?

Roll on next week, I will still get excited about the game.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Average players on astronomical wages is my main concern. How the board have allowed this to happen is beyond me. I was even concerned with de gea getting a new contract.
Yep, average side with a youth bench for support isn’t good enough.

We will finish mid table.

Bruce Wayne

Really poor performance by most players. We don't have the right players in midfield to help defenders.
We need proper DM or at least play 3 players in midfield (4-3-1-2/4-4-2 diamond?). Playing with width leaves us very thin through the center.
If we want to play with width on counter attacks then we should deploy 4-5-1 (still keep 3 in middle).

p.s. Angel Gomes should be at least on the bench next game.

gr3yham3

Think our fooling around with the Dybala/Eriksen/Bruno transfers is coming round to bite us in the arse. We clearly need more creativity and goal threat at the no.10 position for a 4231 to work, but we have Lingard there who does almost nothing with the ball and has now inherited Lukaku's first touch. The no. 10 position is the most important one in a 4231 as it links the attack to midfield and should be giving the opposition defence another threat to worry about so the front 3 can have more room to do the damage. We don't have that at the moment.

Zlatattack

We can point to the various incidents.

the real issue is our midfield or the lack of it.

Playing Pogba in front of the defence because we did not invest.

Our board has sabotaged the season.
This. Pogba should be at 10, but we have no quality to partner McTomminay.

Heinzesight

The Old Trafford fear factor has been diminishing for years but today I think that’s that. No teams are nervous coming to OT, they love it.

Rafaeldagold

Barcelona's entire club philosophy is build on a manager who was an ex player and Madrid won 3 CL's in a row with an ex player as manager.

Not saying this in support of Ole, but your statement is a little ridiculous.
Oh the pep comparison. Bloody hell . Because yes they ate the same.

We’re going nowhere fast this season & the fans will be nowhere near as brutal as they were with Jose

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Really poor performance by most players. We don't have the right players in midfield to help defenders.
We need proper DM or at least play 3 players in midfield (4-3-1-2/4-4-2 diamond?). Playing with width leaves us very thin through the center.
If we want to play with width on counter attacks then we should deploy 4-5-1 (still keep 3 in middle).

p.s. Angel Gomes should be at least on the bench next game.
That was a disappointment for me.

Foxbatt

It is terrible coaching. I have always been saying that our players do not know or is not being coached in how to move without the ball. You need to have triangles to play football. You cannot hoof up to the strikers to play football. This is our problem. There is no movement off the ball. It is up to individual players to do so. That is how we scored the first goal against Wolves.
We need to get a player at the base and we have Pogba there now and also expect him to move further forward and also create and pass. A long pass is going to be cut off if the other team is defending most of the time. We need to play two up front with a diamond. A diamond where someone like either Pogba or Gomes and over Fred may be better than Lingard of Mata.
That gets Matic or Scott at the base and Periera or Fred/ Pogba in midfield. Which leaves the midfield very weak.
I would bring back Matic and play Scott and Fred in midfield and push on top of the diamond and play Martial and Rashford up front.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
We lack creativity. Bloody emberassing. Board should have spent some on a creative midfielder.

Kopral Jono

We're the richest club in the world with a midfield straight from a side fighting for relegation. Like I said at half-time in the Chelsea game: it's gonna be a very long season, so better buckle up.

El Zoido

With all due respect, McT is a squad player.

he would never have got near the first team under Fergie.
He’s no worse than Fletcher’s first years with us. Difference is Fletcher had the benefit of coming in to a decent team.

always_hoping

fecking hell, can't believe we threw that away. So dominant, so many good positions, beaten by 2 broken losses of concentration and then not taking our chances (of which there were many). Can't miss pens like we have 2 games in a row. Also VAR fecked us earlier not giving the Martial pen. And then De Gea fecks up in the last minute.

The actual performance wasn't awful really, a lot of encouraging enough stuff, but ultimately not enough urgency and not clinical at either end when it mattered most.
What "many chances" did you see? 3 shots on targets at home to Palace and i'm sorry but that equals awful. I agree on the rest you can't miss penalties, VAR not even used for two incidents that could have been another penalty and red card for palace. Would have been a draw if DeGea didn't gift that winner to palace.

I'd love to say it was one of those days and we should move on but these type of days are all too common watching United nowadays.

Waywestofthere

Supports
three kids
Rashford miss was so predictable. James is 100% better on the left. Our midfield is.........ugh. Pogba playing in a back 3 against palace was neat (hyperbole, before I get the inevitable “it wasn’t a back three reply).

It’s fine lines, but fine lines are the difference between success and mediocrity. United are on the wrong side of the line right now.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I'm so pissed off right now.

This whole 19-20 was built around the idea that Pogba-Rashford-Martial would score at least 1 goal per match, and that Maguire would dramatically increase our defense, barely conceding.

And it was all a lie! Pathetic performance at OT. They managed to.score a goal JUST to blew it 3 minutes later. Pure comedy! Man Utd has become a fecking sad joke!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Get the board out and we will be alright.
Exactly. No matter who the manager is we will struggle with that lot in charge. Sell a forward, don't replace him, sell two midfielder and don't replace them. Need a RW, so sign a LW and make him play on the right. Need a DOF, do nothing about it. They are a shambles. Ole doesn't help himself by picking the same old faces. If you want to use the kids then do it. People will be behind that, not picking Jesse Lingard week in, week out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We all knew we'd left our mid and attack criminally short, but no-one expected that'd come to light either this early, or v Palace at home!!

Getting the equaliser, and THEN losing was just a pure farce of a touch.

OT1214

Felt we unnecessarily slowed down a bit after the equalizer. Should have had a proper go at them. Rashford’s decision making at times is baffling. Less said about Lingard the better.

dev1l

I'm so pissed off right now.

This whole 19-20 was built around the idea that Pogba-Rashford-Martial would score at least 1 goal per match, and that Maguire would dramatically increase our defense, barely conceding.

And it was all a lie! Pathetic performance at OT. They managed to.score a goal JUST to blew it 3 minutes later. Pure comedy! Man Utd has become a fecking sad joke!
What lie? You can say things not going according to plan but no one is lying ffs

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Exactly. No matter who the manager is we will struggle with that lot in charge. Sell a forward, don't replace him, sell two midfielder and don't replace them. Need a RW, so sign a LW and make him play on the right. Need a DOF, do nothing about it. They are a shambles. Ole doesn't help himself by picking the same old faces. If you want to use the kids then do it. People will be behind that, not picking Jesse Lingard week in, week out.
For me, letting Ander go was diabolical.
It was all downhill from there.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
We started the season with Rashford and Martial as our only strikers. Martial now injured, as he always gets whenever he plays a few games in a row.
Soon Rashford to follow.

What then?

Well played Glazers and co.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw