PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd agree that that would be the ideal scenario - but only when we are absolutely certain we have the right guy in post. There is nothing in OGS's CV that suggests he is that guy, and nothing really that I've seen since he arrived - outside of a good run of games at the start of his tenure that had a huge amount to do with new manager bounce.
I don't disagree, although to be honest Pochettino hasn't proved he can do that either.
The two top picks for us at the minute are at Liverpool and City at the minute, which is frustrating.
I do think Ole desevres more time, and we'd be puddled to sack him now, I just hope he can improve us with that we have. We'll just have to see but I can completely understand not being confident.

K13

He had a habit of pushing Giggsy to left-back when chasing a game. An extra attacking player and could also trackback when needed.
He was very clever with this subs.

AJ Bullet

Anything but 3 points against Southampton and he is going to be looking like he's on thin ice already.

Cantonagotmehere

What a bad day. We were off but that ref should be sent down. He was pathetic and the VAR one too.

James better have that yellow rescinded. The lone bright spot of today.

Foxbatt

It is the manager to be honest. Any good manager will know how to practice and get the players their movements off the ball and better short passes. The basics are wrong and that is what is wrong with this team. Pass and move and pass and move I remember Keano saying it when he started playing professional football.
I really do not understand what Ole is trying to do? Any decent footballer and they are all decent footballers at United should be able to do that. But look at the way we play and the way we are set up. If we pass and move at a decent pace this team can play decent football. But we do not do that. The players are too far from each other or too close to be effective. When we have the ball on the right side Palace floods the side with their players and it forces us to play a long cross pass to our left. Because it is a long pass it allows the Palace right back to cut off Shaw.
Then when Rashford gets it or Martial gets it Palace has two or three men or they try to beat two or three players and get crowded out.
There is no pivot in our play and we move the ball too slowly. Our we try to make too many intricate passes.
To get it right they need coaching and practice and it looks like we do not do that at all the way our players try to play.

adamwest

After I calmed down and assessed the game - we clearly need to improve, but it wasn't so bad. Some shocking mistakes by us, the ref, var and some sh1t luck really. We were positive out there and attacked and attacked. Yes, we need more pace and creativity during possession, but maybe that can come later? I don't know, I am just hopeful. :/ We can't sack Ole, that would be total disaster, total disaster. I also hope he doesn't just quit cause that would be even bigger disaster than him getting sacked. Man... We played well against Wolves first half, we played well today but no luck at all. I know you gotta deserve to be lucky so let's keep playing harder and harder and see what happens. We are not gonna win the title, we want to be in the top 4. Season is young and starting like this and improving is better than starting strong and then just go to sh1t afterwards.
Maybe we watched another game ? We were passive and lack lustre. No thought, no plan - pretty bad imo. And I’m a positive guy

Deery

Dreary
Watching the match on SKY game of the day as I didn’t see it live, but it looks like Pogba was by far our most creative player?
Why didn’t we buy another midfielder this summer to support him I don’t know.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Watching the match on SKY game of the day as I didn’t see it live, but it looks like Pogba was by far our most creative player?

That's the million dollar question. Would love to know what excuses they gave Ole when they didn't sign the players he needed.

Nucks

RT History Department
Can we all admit now, that Mourinho did reasonably well until the team went into revolt, with the shower of shite that this team is? The brilliance of Fergie really papered over the cracks in the foundation of this team, from front office, to ball boy.

Alek M

Da manic one
Questions for you

We wanted subs sooner, we got them
We wanted Rashy as penalty taker we got him
We wanted Greenwood on the right,we got him

Now I see folks saying Tuanzebe needs to come in for Lindeloff, really?

Look, we were not outplayed as we were in the first half against Chelsea.

Mistakes happen, Lindeloff, penalty misses,etc.

We attacked,often poorly but still we wanted to win and the players played hard.

The biggest positive from today is James getting more confidence.

We sorely miss someone like Bruno to create in midfield along Pogba. Maybe next game Pogba plays bit more upfield.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ole's pretty much put all his eggs in the Lingard, McTominay and Pereira basket and it's not quite working out.

Pogba gets a lot of stick but I can't understand why. He's the only creative guy in midfield and he really needs help.

Is the Shaw injury a long term one? We could do with a left back who can actually attack. Hopefully Dalot does better.

I say "hopefully" but it is the hope that kills you. This team look like it's going nowhere fast.

DomesticTadpole

Ole's pretty much put all his eggs in the Lingard, McTominay and Pereira basket and it's not quite working out.

Pogba gets a lot of stick but I can't understand why. He's the only creative guy in midfield and he really needs help.

Is the Shaw injury a long term one? We could do with a left back who can actually attack. Hopefully Dalot does better.

I say "hopefully" but it is the hope that kills you. This team look like it's going nowhere fast.
The LB problem we have is Dalot is injured as well, so it just leaves us with Young, unless he brings up Brandon Williams. God help us if he decides to hang on to Rojo.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The LB problem we have is Dalot is injured as well, so it just leaves us with Young, unless he brings up Brandon Williams. God help us if he decides to hang on to Rojo.
fecking hell. Young eh? Looking forward to seeing him overhit his freekick and corners then.

AFC NimbleThumb

Cause the Glazers aren’t really spending.

The amount of people on here claiming we had a good summer was startling.

We needed a new midfielder last summer, when we had Fellaini & Herrera we’ve now lost them both with no replacements.

Our bench this season has been shambolic.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The reason we didn't buy Bruno because of his "passing" sounds so ridiculous excuse. When you think we have Lingard, Pereira, and Mata as options on that other creative role.

Al-T

We have some really talented kids, but they have to be guided along by lot better players than we have at this time. Would you want Lingard guiding your kid in the ways of the world?
Forgive me, I don't get the point you're making. We did not replace Herrera or Fellaini. We let Lukaku go, are seemingly prepared to let Sanchez go and rely on the 'kids' to come good leaving us Martial and Rashford who, in my view, are hugely overrated.

Personally, I Wouldn't have Lingard anywhere near a Manchester United first team, but it's the lack of midfield and forward reinforcements that will cost us, not the fact that Lingard is still here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Aside from his goal, I thought Ayew was brilliant.

I've been a fan of his since he came to England. Considering our depth in attack, id like him here. He's so good at shielding the ball under pressure.

tony54

Was at a barby so missed the matched but did see some comments from the second half.
Vidic would have clattered the guy who beat lindelof and won the ball too. Bring tuanzabe in to the team.
Tactics seem to be all over the place and because there is no substance in midfield we have gaps all over the place.
Not getting a good midfielder was criminal and so it looks like it's going to hold back the team for another year. Pissing off Herrera and Fellaini was a huge mistake as with the input of our new defenders we could be now playing decent football.

rotherham_red

It's a young team which will inevitably have it's ups and downs. What should have happened was that we'd have experienced players in there, playing a leading role which would allow the kids to grow under them. But because Ole wasn't backed, that didn't happen.

Every person in the negative Ole threads need to point their ire at Ed, not the manager. It's been 4 managers now, and the one constant is still in his fecking position.

Ole is also doing a cultural reset, with one hand tied behind his back. He needs time and patience. He won't get it from the clueless people on social media and the internet obviously, but I'd like to think he'll get it from the match going fans, and the board will have to see their role in this also. He's going to integrate the kids increasingly as the season goes on. We just have to hope it's enough. The biggest club in the world shouldn't be having to rely on hope, but it is what it is.

It's a shit situation, but it's one that has been all Ed's own making.

DomesticTadpole

Forgive me, I don't get the point you're making. We did not replace Herrera or Fellaini. We let Lukaku go, are seemingly prepared to let Sanchez go and rely on the 'kids' to come good leaving us Martial and Rashford who, in my view, are hugely overrated.

Personally, I Wouldn't have Lingard anywhere near a Manchester United first team, but it's the lack of midfield and forward reinforcements that will cost us, not the fact that Lingard is still here.
I am probably saying that Ole is left with the kids because the club did not get all the players he wanted and desperately needed. The likes of Greenwood, Chong, Gomes and Garner are very talented, but just think they need a stable system and club for them to flourish. I think the club are hoping these kids come good and save them a fortune, which is very unfair on them and puts pressure on them that they don't need.

swred

A good friend of mine was at the game today, when we asked him how it was (as we don’t get to OT very much due to being 5 hours away), he said to me:

Midfield was shite. Pogba is as frustrating live as he is on tv. Jesse isn't good enough. Slabhead is immense. Awb had an off day IMO. Got booked and looked edgy after.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That just may be the worst officiating I have ever seen in my life. I hate blaming the refs, but Cahill should have seen red in the first half for taking Rashford down when he was through on goal, and there should have been another red and a penalty in the second half when Martial was pulled down when through on goal. Then James gets blatantly gets kicked in the knee and gets yellow carded for diving? I know there is going to be a lot of doom and gloom over the result today, but save that doom and gloom for matches we don't dominate. What's the point of VAR if the ref isn't going to use it. With the right calls we play against 9 men and probably win 6-1. Absolutely brutal...

Houdini

"You are so shiite,
you are so shiiiiite,
Ole's at the wheel
but you are so shite."

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I am probably saying that Ole is left with the kids because the club did not get all the players he wanted and desperately needed. The likes of Greenwood, Chong, Gomes and Garner are very talented, but just think they need a stable system and club for them to flourish. I think the club are hoping these kids come good and save them a fortune, which is very unfair on them and puts pressure on them that they don't need.
Yes, been saying something similar. Looks like Ole is trying to create a stable environment so the youngsters can come into a settled squad (at least the back four and midfield two), but the first goal was just a train crash really, poor attempt by Lindelof, although the Palace player did have a run on him, but Maguire's positioning was awful, Wan Bissaka should also have made the effort to get back and cover, overall a very poor defensive display there. Even so, I'm sure that just the one switch, Gomes for Lingard in my opinion, would make s big difference.

always_hoping

We have a young team, and especially a young attack. Even still, our team creates pretty much more chances than any other team in the league bar City and Liverpool. Do you know how these young players will become good enough and clinical enough? With time. Yeah we are light in attack now, but the likes of Rashford and Martial definitely needed the chance to make the step up in key roles at some point very soon. Ole decided now is the time, and I can't fault those 2 for anything so far. They have played well, scored goals and created chances so far. We've looked far more threatening in attack than in the previous seasons. With time, they'll develop as all young players do, and become more consistent and develop a better understanding. It's not always about just throwing money at the problem. We have young players in the attack, players who can become the types who are worth 100+ million with some added consistency. So is the answer always to spend 100m on a player who may or may not want to be here or perform well, but block the young exciting talents you already have, or sometimes stick with the young players we have and watch them blossom into those very players?

I know which I'd prefer, and I'd say 90% of United fans should have the same opinion.

Lingard who will turn 27 in a few months isn't young. Has been given the number 10 role which is meant to be main creator in the team. How many chances has he created so far this season? Pogba another that isn't young but at least he has the excuse of wanting out and has his mind elsewhere. Other midfielder is Mctominay who won the penalty today but his game or job isn't to create. From what i see we don't create near enough chances (clear cut ones) in games, 5 shots on target in total v Wolves and Palace we could well end creating 0 on target once we play one of the top teams as was the case v Barcelona at home a few months ago.

Rashford's game is erratic and has been that way for a few season now, I like most supporters hope he can finally find a good consistent level and reach his potential for now he shouldn't be allowed to take frees anymore as the majority of them go over the bar. Martial will blossom better and faster with more creativity in the team so far he hasn't got as many shots on goal as say lukaku was getting which suggests to me we are creating less clear cut chances than before. Hopefully the injury Martial got today doesn't mean he'll have to sit out the next couple of games.

fps

Well, missed chances, and the whole penalty taker situation is an absolute nightmare now.

montpelier

I reckon...

1 - team is too lightweight to apply any proper 'heat' to a team with men behind the ball

2 - we break well

3 - MF lacks quality

4 - lack of depth up top

5 - still worries about the defence - although it doesn't get a lot of help at times

gonna be a long season

I don't mind if they intend to see this going with the youth thing through & we can see that it could work occasionally.

I'm not sure where we are going to finish, but it won't be in the Top 4

GazTheLegend

To be honest today’s game hurts quite a bit.

• Palace did feck all to deserve anything out the game.
  • We are now 2 penalty misses away from having a great start to the season
  • We’re cursed. Martials injury came at the worst possible time. Shaw is gone and we’re already down to Young ffs.
  • Referee and VAR were surprisingly questionable. I thought VAR was there to make the correct decisions? There was a stonewall red and how martials foul wasn’t a penalty I wil never understand.
  • We dominated every aspect and on another day win 4-0
It’s shite but there you have it. Terrible day, but I don’t think we were bad, not really. Just lacking in the final third but that happens.

Positives? Dan James was great. Wan Bissaka too good on the right so the wily old fox Hodgson switched Zaha. Happy for them, in a sense a draw was as bad as a loss for us anyway, but it was a bit of a joke that we’re not celebrating a comeback.

Need a bit of luck to be a manager at the top level, Solskjær seems to have none.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The positivity has completely drained from this season. The reality is that we have heaps of overrated players who flatter to deceive. It’ll be another season of struggle and inept football. All under a clueless board and out of his depth manager. We are firmly in the wilderness and will be here for years :(

Eddy_JukeZ

The positivity has completely drained from this season. The reality is that we have heaps of overrated players who flatter to deceive. It’ll be another season of struggle and inept football. All under a clueless board and out of his depth manager. We are firmly in the wilderness and will be here for years :(
On the bright side, our next title will feel that much sweeter after the years of wilderness.

But yeah it's all doom now. Any positive feelings I had for the season were drained completely after this defeat.

fps

Nah that's just you. Missed pen from beating Wolves, lots of chances created today, much more entertaining team to watch so far this season than the past few years.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Nah that's just you. Missed pen from beating Wolves, lots of chances created today, much more entertaining team to watch so far this season than the past few years.
You are being absolutely delusional, I’m afraid. There’s comes a point where the excuses for this team needs to stop. We shouldn’t be relying on pens to win these games.

Sterling Archer

I was upbeat after hearing Ole say many of these players won't be here next season. It's next season and the players we needed gone the most are still here with no significant additions in front of the defense. It's fecking mad.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I was upbeat after hearing Ole say many of these players won't be here next season. It's next season and the players we needed gone the most are still here with no significant additions in front of the defense. It's fecking mad.
We haven’t gutted the squad at all, with loads of the dross still here – so all that hard talk last season about being ruthless was bollocks.

And the new signings aren’t going to push the needle. Maguire didn’t exactly lead a rickety looking back line today, while AWB was skinned time and again.

We have average players and a sub-par manager, so it stands to reason that we get average / sub-par results.

LoneStar

Also the atmosphere was pretty shite tbh. Could hear the Palace away fans all game.

Only the Stretford end sang their hearts out.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace