CL W Champions League Group A

CSKA Moscow 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 September 2017

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I missed the game but it sounded pretty good. Martial looked on fire.

It's becoming a cliché but we definitely would not have won this game in this fashion in any post-Fergie season.

prtk0811

Mourinho on injures:

1) Didn't comment on Martial but said it was a shame he couldn't play 90 minutes as he wanted him to

2) Carrick for Palace: no chance

3) Jones for Palace: many many doubts

4) Fellaini for Palace: fewer doubts
JOnes is a doubt? So he returns to his usual self?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That distance covered stat is really interesting. CSKA as a team covered more distance than us but the two players that run the furthest were United players. Wonder if that’s happening in the league too? Most of our team conserves energy and our overall stats look poor but in every game we compensate by always having a couple of players who are tasked with running their socks off.

Yogesh911

Agree with one of the poster before me that this was the best game to give some of the kids 20-30 minutes of Champions league football.
It also helps not playing your best players for the entire 90 about 2 days before our PL game. Tuanzebe for Bailly & McTominay for Matic would have made perfect sense today. Lukaku chasing a hat-trick had good cause to stay.
I know they might get a CL game later but these ones are much better than dead rubbers where the entire team has been changed & has a very reserve team feel to it.

Reactions: Penna

TheReligion

Abusive
That distance covered stat is really interesting. CSKA as a team covered more distance than us but the two players that run the furthest were United players. Wonder if that’s happening in the league too? Most of our team conserves energy and our overall stats look poor but in every game we compensate by always having a couple of players who are tasked with running their socks off.
Would explain our late energy in games.

Wonder if it's down to our new fitness coach.

Al-T

Great result. Mourinho needs to keep the team focused to not give Palace a sniff on Saturday.

Then keep your fingers crossed no-one gets injured in the International break. Then things start getting interesting.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Check the “players positions” here, no one can f… say we played 5 at the back! Young and Blind have average positions almost in line with Lukaku and Mkhitaryan!

Paul_Scholes18

Some players will take more high intensity run like our forwards. While Matic and Herrera will cover more ground as is normal by central midfielders.

buckooo1978

couple of observations

link up between Martial and Lukaku was fantastic

Herrera looked a great partner for Matic - we seemed to win the ball back quicker and use it more wisely

a key success criteria for the year was other players chipping in with goals and assists - Mhiki and Martial really stepping up

why not bring on McTominay for Matic? Serb is our most important player with current injuries

Android1974

It was a proper 3-4-1-2.
I agree, it was already what Mourinho had tried in the second half against Burton. Mhkitaryan seemed to have a lot of touches to the right, making it almost 3-4-3 in the first half, but since Lingard was in it was definitely 3-5-2 (or 3-4-1-2, if you prefer). It's curious that, in the 3-5-2 friendlies and Real Madrid's, it was always a proper midfield three with an inverted triangle, even when Mkhitaryan was on midfield; but now the playmaker is on top of the midfield triangle. And, to be honest, I also love to see Lingard in that position.

el3mel

I agree, it was already what Mourinho had tried in the second half against Burton. Mhkitaryan seemed to have a lot of touches to the right, making it almost 3-4-3 in the first half, but since Lingard was in it was definitely 3-5-2 (or 3-4-1-2, if you prefer). It's curious that, in the 3-5-2 friendlies and Real Madrid's, it was always a proper midfield three with an inverted triangle, even when Mkhitaryan was on midfield; but now the playmaker is on top of the midfield triangle. And, to be honest, I also love to see Lingard in that position.
Mikhi had a lot of freedom in this game. He didn't look like a proper right forward in a 3-4-3. He was moving everywhere so it's probably a proper 3-4-1-2.

I liked the way this formation was shaped today and definitely prefers it to the 3-5-2 we saw in the preseason. Having a playmaker to link the play ( even if he's inconsistent ) does wonder to our system and building up the attacks.

Android1974

Mikhi had a lot of freedom in this game. He didn't look like a proper right forward in a 3-4-3. He was moving everywhere so it's probably a proper 3-4-1-2.

I liked the way this formation was shaped today and definitely prefers it to the 3-5-2 we saw in the preseason. Having a playmaker to link the play ( even if he's inconsistent ) does wonder to our system and building up the attacks.
I agree. I really doubt Mata can play that position, though.

Android1974

Sorry to spoil everyone's mood, but I didn't particularly like Mourinho's comments on Martial, as he seemed to imply he had an easy game very adapted to his characteristics, and, specially, that the player asked to be substituted when he wanted to keep him for 90'.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
CSKA played like a pub team at times. Solid team performance all round from us though. Good confidence builder for some of those.

Very happy with that. 1-4 in the Champions League is a terrific result against any team. I didn't know what to expect from CSKA and said before the match I'd take a point out in Russia, but we battered them. We have goals from different areas in the team for the first time since Fergie left. It could have been a rugby score tonight. Let's get qualification secured asap then use the squad to focus upon maintaining league form.

The old swagger is starting to return, and I'm once again expecting us to win matches, rather than just hoping we win.

Lukaku is a beast.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
4-1 win away in Russia. 2 wins on the trot and top of the group.
Would have bitten your hand off if you'd offered me that.

MarchingOn

Beautiful result. Hoping to wrap this group up early and focus on the league when the rest of the top clubs are trying to claw their way into the Round of 16.

Tapori

Terrible performance.
Sack Mourinho
Sell Matic

Brilliant. Ok, no clean sheet, but Moscow were very poor. Sterner tests to come. Very happy. Hope Martial is ok.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Dunphy and Brady talking absolute nonsense here, even by their standards.

First Brady says we lack a Coutinho type player to win a Championship League, then Dunphy says Valencia is a winger not a fullback and you see he's not good enough when he comes up against real quality.

Brady also told us he didn't bother watching United at the weekend even though he was being paid to analyse them this evening.
Brady's still an Arsenal man, remember. Can't abide United. Neville in that interview lately also mentioned adding a flair winger, though.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
How they call that a 3-4-2-1 with their own graphic?
To be fair, I don't think any formation ever perfectly aligns in a match as it should on paper. If you go and look at his other Twitter posts, you'll see similar scenes, whereby the formation on paper does not match the general formation on the pitch.

MooseTheMooche

Fantastic performance! Martial was incredible today, I really hope that he is okay after taking that knock in the second half.

After the group stage draw, I thought that Benfica would be our toughest rival, but seeing how they got battered by Basle made me rethink that. What happened to Benfica? Are they really as bad as the scoreline suggests? Geez, two seasons ago they have beaten Atletico Madrid at Calderon, and now they are struggling to win a single game in the UCL.

Android1974

To be fair, I don't think any formation ever perfectly aligns in a match as it should on paper. If you go and look at his other Twitter posts, you'll see similar scenes, whereby the formation on paper does not match the general formation on the pitch.
It never does, of course, but if you're even going to add one line to the traditional defense-midfield-attack, then go for what the picture tells you, which is a 3-4-1-2.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Herrera and Matic. Our midfield engines.:drool:
Drop or move Mkhi to the right and use Pogba as CAM when he's fit and tha midfield would be hard to get past.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Lingard again frustrated the hell out of me. Lose the ball, fall over. Rinse and repeat as many times as a bit of Lingard possession lasts.

Sure it's a win, but jesus. Don't bring that guy on if we're being held at any of the top 6.

Other than that, Very impressive win away from home - sweeter due to the draw for pool last night. Amount of stick i've had for last few years. I hope they get trenched.

criticalanalysis

It's only September and Lukaku has already run out of ideas about cool celebrations.
Lols, I was thinking that when he scored the 2nd.

He plays it cool though. Doesn't panick and instead just goes with the flow..so he stood there with his arms folded.

Giggs86

:lol: @ people complaining about scoring 'only' four and conceding a late goal. Where have you been in the past 4 years of Moyes/LVG wilderness where fixtures like this would usually end up in a draw or a loss.

Klopp_De_Klown

What did Lindelof do wrong this time?
Exactly, in the last game I rewatched it twice and he made one real error. After a loose pass into enemy territory he stupidly tried to chase the ball down and got caught out of position. I though he was ok the last day and good today. He is starting to get it.

Pre match I would have taken a draw given how Russian teams tend to be at home. Fecking hell though, it should have been at least 7 or 8.

Nobody played badly. Martial MOTM for me.
exact same as that.

Now Dunphy has just said every time Martial scores a goal, Monaco get £2mil
He'll have it worked out that it makes sense to him. Probably talking about every goal to price already paid + bonus or total wuming

notcool

Supports
a
Sorry to spoil everyone's mood, but I didn't particularly like Mourinho's comments on Martial, as he seemed to imply he had an easy game very adapted to his characteristics, and, specially, that the player asked to be substituted when he wanted to keep him for 90'.
I didn't see those comments but if he said the bolded part because Martial didn't have to track back and could focus on attacking then I agree. Not sure what he means though.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Moscow win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Moscow 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Moscow 1:2 Man Utd