CL W Champions League Group A

CSKA Moscow 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 September 2017

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Sorry to spoil everyone's mood, but I didn't particularly like Mourinho's comments on Martial, as he seemed to imply he had an easy game very adapted to his characteristics, and, specially, that the player asked to be substituted when he wanted to keep him for 90'.
Yeah, it's okay.

Very few people take your comments on Martial seriously anymore.

You hear what you want to hear.

K2K

I didn't see those comments but if he said the bolded part because Martial didn't have to track back and could focus on attacking then I agree. Not sure what he means though.
He never implied any of that.

He was simply disappointed that Martial seemed to pick up an injury especially when it looked like he wanted to use McTominay as his last sub instead.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Some players will take more high intensity run like our forwards. While Matic and Herrera will cover more ground as is normal by central midfielders.
Sure. You’d expect some of our team to cover more ground than others. What’s interesting to me is that most of our team cover less ground than their opposite numbers (which we knew already) but our two CM’s actually cover more ground than anyone else on the pitch (which we didn’t know). Just one game but interesting all the same.

Gause

that might be a bit of an exaggeration but it sure says a lot about Jose's well known defensive system.

The_Order

Please, JOse, rotate your team or they will all be injured/knackered by December - y'know, like last season?

moodyred

We will never win in a game where the opponent put 4 past us. This team needs to wake up and wake up fast.

Havak

Pokemon master
Excellent performance, even if CSKA were poor. Still going to find some flaws in the performance despite it being pretty pointless, such as conceding late much like the Burton game in which we dominated (wouldn't want to make a habit of this even if letting in the odd goal isn't going to cost us much). We also seem to hit four a lot but never really go and absolutely embarrass a team, not that this matters much either. If this were the Palace game for example, with the International Break coming up, then I'd expect us to go for goal 5 and beyond, but when you have a flight that night and a game a few days later, it makes sense to just stroll through the latter stages when you won the game in the first half.

Basically every player who started was at least a 7/10 for probably the first time this season and we didn't need our substitutes to make an impact. Hopefully Martial's knock is just that and we can put him on the bench as a precaution against Palace - and if it is worse, at least he can just have a few games off and not travel with France.

wolvored

I think we seemed to tire badly at the end and that should be a concern. We could hardly muster an attack, and 5 mins before they scored I said to my mate they will score at the death, similar to Burton, where mins earlier when Rashford came on, (who was poor) I was saying will we get a couple of late goals and really stuff them.

Marcky411

Great performance from the lads, the 3 at the back start was very shaky, getting into each other's way, luckily weren't punished for it. It looked like the team was conserving energy the whole game. Every time they decided to up the pace we scored or nearly scored. Sorry that the team got complacent at the end and switched off you their goal, even Dave sat down for that one. All in all a great night, did not expect it to be that easy but will take that every day of the week.

AgentP

that might be a bit of an exaggeration but it sure says a lot about Jose's well known defensive system.
I love this! Who cares if he is exaggerating. If we go on like this for a month, teams will start fearing United again. We need to get that fear factor back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Reminded me very much of the Burton game - absolutely dominant, near perfect first half against a weaker opposition... allowing us to chill out and conserve energy in the second half, except for Martial who seemingly plays every game as if it's actually the World Cup final.

stubie

Mkhi might be our new Veron. Good and ever present in Europe but flits in and out of matches in the PL.

Bailly is having a dip in form with his wayward clearances and loss of concentration at times.

Everyone else played well.
I thought that last night, has a big impact in European games where the tempo is slower

Unmutual

Great game from us last night. We were on it from the first whistle and relentless to almost the very end.

Best thing for me was that it only took three players to do most of the damage. Lukaku, Mkhi and especially Martial tortured them all night. Matic, Herrera and co gave them the possession and the platform to attack, but generally it was the interplay between those three made all the chances. The 4-3-3 hadn't really clicked so far this season. Not sure if switching to 3-4-3 was the difference, or just the performance level of our attackers. Either way it gives us a great template for away performances in the future.

But you also have to mention CSKA. That was one of the most abject performances I can recall seeing in the CL. Their lack of effort and organisation in the first half was truly remarkable.

Trizy

Reminded me very much of the Burton game - absolutely dominant, near perfect first half against a weaker opposition... allowing us to chill out and conserve energy in the second half, except for Martial who seemingly plays every game as if it's actually the World Cup final.
A team full of Martials :drool:

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Martial was class, Lukaku and Matic were efficient but for me the standout was Herrera. Not for being flashy or anything, but for the 1st time after the season started he played like when he was one of our best player last season.

moodyred

I love this! Who cares if he is exaggerating. If we go on like this for a month, teams will start fearing United again. We need to get that fear factor back.
I think we already got the fear factor back. Any team playing us will be thankful if they walk away with a point. Pools will probably be the only team who will go on an all out attack without shoring up their defences.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Basically every player who started was at least a 7/10 for probably the first time this season and we didn't need our substitutes to make an impact.
Yes, it was a good all round performance from the off.

CSKA were poor, but as they say 'you can only beat what is in front of you' and we had done that in the first half an hour.

The fact that our substitutions were not needed to change the game is an important benchmark, in that it suggests the first choice XI, were just that and lived up to their billing of being 'first choice'.

minoo-utd

Martial was class, Lukaku and Matic were efficient but for me the standout was Herrera. Not for being flashy or anything, but for the 1st time after the season started he played like when he was one of our best player last season.
This. Herrera was just amazing to watch so energetic very focus a real good sign for the up coming games specially with Pogba, Carrick and now Fellaini.

Jeffthered

Good solid performance, and a good win. What I enjoy about games such as last night, is the attitude of the squad. Smalling, Blind, Herrera, Ashley Young (he has an important presence in our squad...) all responsible players.

CSKA defended awfully for a couple of the goals, they seemed shell-shocked. We take the points and move on. But what a CL is developing this season. Some good quality across the groups.

JnG99

Very good performance. Special mention to Lindelof, thought his distribution was fantastic especially as he was on the left of the back three. Martial fantastic but no surprise there. Feels good to be back enjoying every united match home or away against anyone :devil:

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Dominant and controlled performance.
First hour very good, quality dropped off after Mkhi and Martial went off.
Martial easily MoM - hope he's not injured and only a precaution.
Could have had more and conceded another silly goal at the end

CSKA's goalie was by far their best player.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Yeah, it's okay.

Very few people take your comments on Martial seriously anymore.

You hear what you want to hear.
He never implied any of that.

He was simply disappointed that Martial seemed to pick up an injury especially when it looked like he wanted to use McTominay as his last sub instead.
Mourinho's word for word, when asked about Martial's performance last night: "Yes, I saw a game also adapted to his qualities, the way we played adapted to his qualities too, so he had lots of freedom and lots of support, lots of quality around him too and I am happy. Ok, a goal is always important even on a penalty, but his contribution was very good. A pity he couldn’t play for 90 minutes because I was ready let him play the whole game.” And look at his face while saying this.

Your first comment is way off and disrespectful also. I like Martial, he had a great game. I'm just trying to understand the manager's complicated relationship with him, even when things work out. After his show last night, you were supposed to expect him to start Crystal Palace, wouldn't you?

Siorac

Mourinho's word for word, when asked about Martial's performance last night: "Yes, I saw a game also adapted to his qualities, the way we played adapted to his qualities too, so he had lots of freedom and lots of support, lots of quality around him too and I am happy. Ok, a goal is always important even on a penalty, but his contribution was very good. A pity he couldn’t play for 90 minutes because I was ready let him play the whole game.” And look at his face while saying this.

Your first comment is way off and disrespectful also. I like Martial, he had a great game. I'm just trying to understand the manager's complicated relationship with him, even when things work out. After his show last night, you were supposed to expect him to start Crystal Palace, wouldn't you?
Yeah, he's always, always very reserved with any sort of praise for Martial. Compare this to how he labelled Rashford's defensive work "phenomenal" at Southampton... the contrast is obvious.

Rusholme Ruffian

Yeah, he's always, always very reserved with any sort of praise for Martial. Compare this to how he labelled Rashford's defensive work "phenomenal" at Southampton... the contrast is obvious.
Different players/people respond to different types of encouragement - e.g. stick or carrot in very simple terms. Whatever he's doing with Martial seems to be having the desired effect, so I don't know why people are so keen to climb inside Martial's mind and assume that he's feeling hard done by.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

What the feck? Why are you trying to use facial expressions as an insight into Mourinho’s mind when the sequence of events was clear as day just by watching what happened on the pitch?

Martial took a knock (or tweaked a muscle?) and was limping heavily in the minutes leading up to his substitution. Mourinho is just making it clear that he was forced to sub a player he wanted to keep on the pitch for 90 minutes. Simple as that.

Android1974

What the feck? Why are you trying to use facial expressions as an insight into Mourinho’s mind when the sequence of events was clear as day just by watching what happened on the pitch?

Martial took a knock (or tweaked a muscle?) and was limping heavily in the minutes leading up to his substitution. Mourinho is just making it clear that he was forced to sub a player he wanted to keep on the pitch for 90 minutes. Simple as that.
Look, you're entitled to think simply that, no problem. But reports now are saying the player's fine, so I'm also entitled to think Mourinho was slightly upset because Martial forced him to took him out when he didn't want to. We'll just see, and then if Martial starts the next game, I guessed you'll be right. But for a moment you reminded me of fans last season hiding the head in the sand when someone suggested Mourinho had a problem with Martial.

K2K

Your evidence is one of those dodgy facial expression analysis that the caf loves?

My apologies, I totally believe you now.

Android1974

Your evidence is one of those dodgy facial expression analysis that the caf loves?

My apologies, I totally believe you now.
Nice shift, you said he didn't imply any of that, but actually Mourinho explicitly said it.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Moscow win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Moscow 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Moscow 1:2 Man Utd