PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 04 April 2017

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Ronald Koeman declared that Everton were “more comfortable” against Manchester United than they were facing Liverpool.

The Toffees slipped to a deserved 3-1 defeat in the Merseyside derby on Saturday, with Liverpool by far the better side.

But Koeman’s men put in a markedly improved performance days later when they travelled to Old Trafford, where they drew 1-1 with United.

Koeman explained that Everton found the United meeting “more comfortable” as they did not press as hard as their previous opponents.

“Different system, different pressing, I feel myself more comfortable here than the way Liverpool tried to press,” he said.

“You know United are strong, they have individual qualities, but it isn’t a team who will from the start press, press, press.

“They have a different system and still a strong team, really good players, but you get more time and you will have more ball possession, it’s different.”
http://www.football365.com/news/koeman-why-we-found-united-easier-than-liverpool

shield

This is not working out guys.

I had swallowed Mourinho's complaints that we were poor because of fatigue, but the players have had seemingly 2 weeks rest and they have come out after a break and given absolute pathetic performances. So, that was not because of "fatigue" and we are actually poor. We need to accept that.

On this form, we will mostly be ending up 6th and will fail to win Europa as well.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
This is not working out guys.

I had swallowed Mourinho's complaints that we were poor because of fatigue, but the players have had seemingly 2 weeks rest and they have come out after a break and given absolute pathetic performances. So, that was not because of "fatigue" and we are actually poor. We need to accept that.

On this form, we will mostly be ending up 6th and will fail to win Europa as well.
Have they? News to me. Last I checked we'd a number of internationals who played twice for their countries, some of them playing in South America...

iHicksy

I watched the entire game and for me these are the major problems with the team/ the team that played last night.

• Carrick and Fellaini are too immobile. This was a problem last night because neither of them could react/get to the loose or second balls, they were beaten to them by everton players far too often because they both have the acceleration or turning circles of a mobility scooter.
  • Rashford - As much as I like him, at this moment in time he isn't good enough to be holding down a starting place. His pace is absolutely fantastic, but his first touch when he's moving is absolutely dreadful, so much so that his second touch was a tackle 90% of the time. He killed a lot of our build up.
  • Pogba - He didn't start, but was sent on to try and win the game. I still don't think he knows how to play centre midfield, all the tools are there he just doesn't have the intelligence. Tries to beat two players near the middle of the pitch for absolutely no reason and loses the ball, killing our attack.
  • Lingard - his movement is fantastic and he has an eye for goal but he's pushed off the ball too easily and epitimises the weaknesses of the modern day english footballer.
  • Herrera, pressing excellent and one of few players alongside Lingard that is actually dangerous on goal from outside the box. But his energetic pressing leaves holes, especially when alongside Fellaini and carrick who can't keep up the pressure to the same degree. This is more down to Carrick's and Fellaini's lack of mobility than Herrera a I guess.
  • Zlatan, should have buried a header from 6 yards but can't fault him, we're a different team with him in and you always feel he can get a goal from nothing.

EyeInTheSky

A 36 years old strike still scoring is the only positive point? that is the worst positive news in the world. His presence directly shadows Rashford's development. Considering all the rhetorical comments from manager and players of how positive Zlatan's influence on Rashford could be. it is really Ironical!
Rashford has played plenty of games so far and has fluffed his lines on every occasion. We can't keep playing youth despite their lack of performance just to satisfy the romanticism of certain people. Our younger players have not performed and have contributed to the issues we have.

You can't have it both ways. "Play rashford for his development" then complain when he is not developing...

SaradM

I watched the entire game and for me these are the major problems with the team/ the team that played last night.

• Carrick and Fellaini are too immobile. This was a problem last night because neither of them could react/get to the loose or second balls, they were beaten to them by everton players far too often because they both have the acceleration or turning circles of a mobility scooter.
  • Rashford - As much as I like him, at this moment in time he isn't good enough to be holding down a starting place. His pace is absolutely fantastic, but his first touch when he's moving is absolutely dreadful, so much so that his second touch was a tackle 90% of the time. He killed a lot of our build up.
  • Pogba - He didn't start, but was sent on to try and win the game. I still don't think he knows how to play centre midfield, all the tools are there he just doesn't have the intelligence. Tries to beat two players near the middle of the pitch for absolutely no reason and loses the ball, killing our attack.
  • Lingard - his movement is fantastic and he has an eye for goal but he's pushed off the ball too easily and epitimises the weaknesses of the modern day english footballer.
  • Herrera, pressing excellent and one of few players alongside Lingard that is actually dangerous on goal from outside the box. But his energetic pressing leaves holes, especially when alongside Fellaini and carrick who can't keep up the pressure to the same degree. This is more down to Carrick's and Fellaini's lack of mobility than Herrera a I guess.
  • Zlatan, should have buried a header from 6 yards but can't fault him, we're a different team with him in and you always feel he can get a goal from nothing.
Sums up pretty much.

Carrick in his current form does not deserve a start. So as many players but to me Top 4 (we have to play City, Chelsea, Spurs and Gunners and 3 of the 4 away) is as good as gone with 2 points from last 2 home games. We should not only focus on Europa but use the remaining league games to test how good are Pereira and/or Fosu-Mensah in the central DMF role.

shield

Have they? News to me. Last I checked we'd a number of internationals who played twice for their countries, some of them playing in South America...
Zlatan, Pogba, Carrick, Young did not play and got their rest.

Lingard and Shaw were used as a sub in only 1 match. Lingard played 20 min and Shaw for 5 min. Fellaini had also played only 1 match and that too not the full 90 min. Herrera played for about 15 min in the France match. Rashford played for about a total of 40 min.

So, we can say that more than half the team put up yesterday was rested.

Rojo, Blind, Bailey and Mikhi had played a bit more than the others. And out of them Rojo is still playing well and was arguably the best performer yesterday. So, the "playing in South America" surprisingly does not seem to have affected him.

So, most of them were fresh. Thing is, the team is just plain mediocre. We need to buy at least 5 players next summer or we will be competing for 4th place once again.

Last edited:

Solver

Before I read Mourinho's comments about Shaw, I thought he had improved a lot but the manager really laid into him- is he the equivalent of Liverpool's Moreno? Both physically gifted, muscular and pacy specimen nothing between the ears?

Mr. Meeseeks

Theres something brewing in this team. It wasnt easy to move on after SAF, but this is the first time ive genuinely been excited about our future. The amount of chances we create is ridiculous. When they start to go in, the trickle will become a flood.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Theres something brewing in this team. It wasnt easy to move on after SAF, but this is the first time ive genuinely been excited about our future. The amount of chances we create is ridiculous. When they start to go in, the trickle will become a flood.
:nono: apparently it's not real chances or something.

Peanut Butter

Positivity and patience isn't allowed in here! You must make negative remarks about Jose, Fellaini and Lingard please.

ClutchHunter

I agree. Everyone being negative has a) forgotten how much worse it was one year ago, and b) ignored the immense amount of bad luck we've had this season, particularly regards refereeing decisions. "You make your own luck" is only half true.

MrBest

Don't blame the linesman, the issue is us. Many teams have decisions against them but grind wins when needed. Jose has an annoying way of publically slating players with inconsistent comments. He never blames Pogba for actually how poor he has been ever since we signed him nor will he say a bad word about Ibra although he misses his fair share of sitters (and that pen against Bournemouth).

The players look confused with there roles, clueless. We lack penetration in the middle yet all we talk about are strikers and wingers. 3 shots on target is terrible but that is because that is the amount of times we get the ball into the box. We need a player like Bernando Silva! We need a player like Pjanic, We need someone who creates stuff and without Mata we really are more like Gaals team than ever before.

Danillaco

Of course the two scrotes Jagielka and Willaims turned into peak Baresi and Cannavaro against us. Likewise the toad Idrjizza Gay Ghana suddenly decided to channel his inner Makalele.

So feking annoyesd of seeing this game raisnsing twats at OT.

I am off to drink more...feck this.
I really don't think that's it.

Seems everyone is playing better against us, but that's not possible. We play badly enough, that average players seems way better.

Robles didn't have a stormer, Herrera missed.

Jagielka didn't turn into Maldini, he made one very good tackle and we barely tried him during the game. Our forwards were awful.

Ghana wasn't remotely close to Makelele, but Fellaini and Carrick offered almost nothing against him.

The only absurd in the game, was the linesman decision. Other than that, we were the usual uninspired, slow moving, no creativity team.

These lot are not game raising, nor were West Brom, nor Stoke... We are awful enough to give them a game.

zeekey

Jose to show our attackers videos of Phil Jaglielka to help their finishing?
After all these changes of manager and players, it all boils down to the fact that we need to aspire to be like Jagielka. Moyes was right all along the crafty fecker.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Shit finishing all round of course but the only thing I can fault Mourinho for is keeping Fellaini on over Carrick. Carrick played much better and higher tempo than he did against West Brom and would have allowed Pogba and Herrera to push on. Fellaini lacks so much composure, missed some glorious chances and broke down some promising moves too. I appreciate that Herrera and Pogba aren't exactly composed in front of goal themselves but they are capable of better, Fellaini is not. I actually like the guy and I understand why Mourinho would keep him on hoping for knockdowns or a header in the box, but let's face it, the lad can win the ball in the air but struggles getting it to go in the right direction. He's midtable at best. We badly need at least one quality midfielder for next year to either provide proper competition for Herrera and Pogba in a midfield 2 or to be the DM in the 3 man midfield.

Son Of Sam

Jagielkas goal was more Fellainis fault and it was extremely lucky by Jagielka. I can't believe you are of the opinion that he was ultimately shit. I think apart from the incident when Lukaku was 1 one 1 with DDG and Bailly made that tackle, he was excellent. Contained Lukaku, broke up their play countless times, positioned himself well and did all the right things generally.
Stop writing about your own fantasies. Rojo has been excellent this season but he was shit yesterday. There's no need for you to defend him because he's probably your favourite player.

It was Bailly doing all the defensive work. Bailly attempted 6 tackles yesterday and he won all of them with aplomb. Rojo attempted 5 tackles and only managed to win only 1 of them.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Stop writing about your own fantasies. Rojo has been excellent this season but he was shit yesterday. There's no need for you to defend him because he's probably your favourite player.

It was Bailly doing all the defensive work. Bailly attempted 6 tackles yesterday and he won all of them with aplomb. Rojo attempted 5 tackles and only managed to win only 1 of them.
My favourite player? Lol

It's weird. I thought he was good but most others think he wasn't so good. Must be because of Jagielkas goal

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I must have blinked and missed a lot. We did create for sure, but I wouldn't say it was an alarming amount. I think we just got used to only seeing 1 or 2 shots a game and now seeing more feels weird.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Even under Van Gaal I saw alot of games where if we had another 10 mins at the end, we would've won. It's like we can create a lot of chances but only when there are 5 mins left and we need a goal. Why can't we play with the same intensity for the majority of the match or at least in the early stages of a match?
Even in this match, they were playing slowly but started playing faster after Everton got the first goal. We hoof the ball in the last 10 mins because the other team parks the bus, I can't understand why they can't get 1 or 2 goals at the start and finish the match against teams which aren't in the top 6, and we just defend whenever we get 1 goal instead of trying to get another goal. Jose has to find some solution to this goal scoring problem or we might finish out of the top four and also lose the EL. Maybe Jose can play 2 strikers up top.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 392 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:1 Everton
  • 16% Man Utd 1:0 Everton