PL L FA Premier League

Everton 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 April 2022

Tyrion

What is that now, 10 points dropped so far to the four teams in and around the relegation zone. We're a fecking charity. Feel sorry for the Burnley fans watching us today expecting us to do them a favour. No fecking chance.
Honestly they're probably used to better performances. :lol:

peridigm

What is that now, 10 points dropped so far to the four teams in and around the relegation zone. We're a fecking charity. Feel sorry for the Burnley fans watching us today expecting us to do them a favour. No fecking chance.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think it's 12 if you're counting Everton. Plus we still have Norwich next weekend.

croadyman

Why not just play the kids now because top 4 has gone and time to accept it, at least they will actual show some heart and pride in the shirt for last few games

redshaw

I do remember Matic being absolutely terrible in that 4-0, jogging backwards with his hands behind him giving huge space for a shot that flew in.

Our players look in the same mood which resulted in a 2-0 loss at home to Cardiff on the last day. Shocking bunch of wasters, being given chance after chance but giving up on top 4.

After Arsenal losing to Palace you'd think we could be up for it. I thought Arse would lose again today as Brighton can be really good and so it was the case and another huge gaping chance to capitalize gone.

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
This club is absolutely atrocious. Sell them all. Pathetic.

WPMUFC

To be some of the highest paid players in world football and openly just give up on a season because you know the interim guy is not going to be there for long is just disgusting.

It's getting to the point that we have to think about paying out some contracts and releasing players just to remove the rot.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Genuine question: Why do I always see quotes from De Gea after bad performances and not the captain?

Bondi77

To be fair, Ronnie was part of the shower of shite today. He looked 100% checked out. I get he was playing a thankless role, but he did not look bothered and walked around with his shoulders slumped most of the game.
Maybe so but we know he has just come into this shitshow so I give him the same leniency as Sancho and Varane and we see what happens next season.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
The only two friends I work with are expats that live and die by United results, so aside from Chelsea matches I really want you to do well. I generally see people blame players or manager, players or manager.
Modern, successful teams and technical directors and teams of skilled analysts performing a job that seems to be done at United by the same backroom cigar setup from the 1980’s. That may be incorrect, but it certainly doesn’t seem like there is a cohesive strategy for the direction of the team. SAF may well have been able to do that on his own. But it doesn’t really work that way anymore.
I just don’t think hiring Ten Hag and moving a few players will have the level of impact needed.

tjb

One problem we have had over the last few years is that everybody just want to throw the entire team under the bus without identifying what the real issues are.

1. Our build up play is horribly slow. We take ages to get the ball into our more attacking player, who then don't have the space to operate with an advantage.

2. We are terrible at keeping sustained possession and hence controlling games.

3. We are horrible with our positioning when we lose the ball in the opposition half, which makes us easy to counter.

All three of these problems are caused by our back 6.
1. In the build up our CB's take too long to make decisions. Our full backs don't progress the ball fast enough. Our midfielders do not offer themselves as options, they are static and tend to hide from the ball. They are also very tepid on the ball.

2. The midfield is the largest area on the pitch and even though movement dictates that other players support our midfielders to sustain possession and control of the game, for the most part, our two central midfielders are responsible for ensuring the ball is maintained and circulated in a way that keeps us in possession and has play in dangerous positions. Neither Fred or Mctominay have the touch, positioning confidence, movement or passing ability to do this. Pogba is too slow, cumbersome and positionally inept to do this. Matic is far too old to cover the space. We don't have either a passer or defensive midfielder in our team who can help us consistently. Every decent team has at least two.

3. Our ability to deal with counters are primarily based on our midfielders ability to position themselves in a way that makes it easier to regain possession high up the pitch, particulary when the opposition player is crowded out. With United, due to a lack of positional awareness from every midfielder outside of an old slow Matic, the opposition is always able to find a way out of those situations, where they never do with most decent teams. It's the main reason we can't sustain attacks. People are far too focused on the pace of Maguire in this regard ( even though this also presents a lesser problem). The fact remains that we are already in trouble by the time Maguire is forced to deal with these defensive situations due to the midfield already being bypassed. Maguire isn't just dealing with long balls, he's dealing with the final ball of quick incisions through our midfield.

These issues mean our attackers get to actually attack less than other teams. Bruno literally has to try and create chances from nothing, but due to our fans and the media blaming the entire team, his attempts at creating a spark are viewed as simply another player failing. I believe the issues we have are still primarily pitch related issues, the dressing room problems are a symptom of it.

We need to sort out the midfield this summer, ensure the manager can use the back line in a way that supports a quicker and more fluid build up and ensure that we actually have plans of attack ( which Rangnick has actually not shown). We cannot sell 6 starting players in a window, but I don't think we need to. Our issues have been issues for the last 9 years, Pogba wasn't a solution to it due to how positionally inept he is. Fix our midfield and I believe you will see how good some of our attackers can be, even the likes of Martial and Rashford. Fix it and you will be shocked how many clean sheets Maguire, Lindelof or Varane can keep. Those two positions, in addition to sorting out our full back dilemma ( especially at right back) would see a massive improvement in how we play under any manager.

Stig

Genuine question: Why do I always see quotes from De Gea after bad performances and not the captain?
Because the captain is probably out running sprints and doing some gym work to maintain his speed, strength and alertness that brings to every game.

Aresma7

I'm amazed for far Bruno has fallen since that first season. Telles seems utterly pointless. Thank whoever Pogba is leaving. I'm now open to the idea Rashford should be sold (if anyone would buy him). Sadly no one is going to buy AWB. Sancho seems to have gone back into his shell. Matic should have been replaced last summer...

There really is nothing to hang a hat on at the moment. Just diabolical.
Your forgot our mr captain fantastic

steffyr2

One problem we have had over the last few years is that everybody just want to throw the entire team under the bus without identifying what the real issues are.

1. Our build up play is horribly slow. We take ages to get the ball into our more attacking player, who then don't have the space to operate with an advantage.

3. We are horrible with our positioning when we lose the ball in the opposition half, which makes us easy to counter.

1. In the build up our CB's take too long to make decisions. Our full backs don't progress the ball fast enough. Our midfielders do not offer themselves as options, they are static and tend to hide from the ball. They are also very tepid on the ball.

2. The midfield is the largest area on the pitch and even though movement dictates that other players support our midfielders to sustain possession and control of the game, for the most part, our two central midfielders are responsible for ensuring the ball is maintained and circulated in a way that keeps us in possession and has play in dangerous positions. Neither Fred or Mctominay have the touch, positioning confidence, movement or passing ability to do this. Pogba is too slow, cumbersome and positionally inept to do this. Matic is far too old to cover the space. We don't have either a passer or defensive midfielder in our team who can help us consistently. Every decent team has at least two.

3. Our ability to deal with counters are primarily based on our midfielders ability to position themselves in a way that makes it easier to regain possession high up the pitch, particulary when the opposition player is crowded out. With United, due to a lack of positional awareness from every midfielder outside of an old slow Matic, the opposition is always able to find a way out of those situations, where they never do with most decent teams. It's the main reason we can't sustain attacks. People are far too focused on the pace of Maguire in this regard ( even though this also presents a lesser problem). The fact remains that we are already in trouble by the time Maguire is forced to deal with these defensive situations due to the midfield already being bypassed. Maguire isn't just dealing with long balls, he's dealing with the final ball of quick incisions through our midfield.

These issues mean our attackers get to actually attack less than other teams. Bruno literally has to try and create chances from nothing, but due to our fans and the media blaming the entire team, his attempts at creating a spark are viewed as simply another player failing. I believe the issues we have are still primarily pitch related issues, the dressing room problems are a symptom of it.

We need to sort out the midfield this summer, ensure the manager can use the back line in a way that supports a quicker and more fluid build up and ensure that we actually have plans of attack ( which Rangnick has actually not shown). We cannot sell 6 starting players in a window, but I don't think we need to. Our issues have been issues for the last 9 years, Pogba wasn't a solution to it due to how positionally inept he is. Fix our midfield and I believe you will see how good some of our attackers can be, even the likes of Martial and Rashford. Fix it and you will be shocked how many clean sheets Maguire, Lindelof or Varane can keep. Those two positions, in addition to sorting out our full back dilemma ( especially at right back) would see a massive improvement in how we play under any manager.
Agree with all of this. I said somewhere that there was a moment where Everton gave to ball away in a dangerous position -- and instead of attacking, passing forward, the Utd player receiving the ball just passed backwards for that incredibly slow, ponderous, useless setup that allowed all of Everton's defenders to get back into position.
No one ever varies the play. Except Bruno (I'm not talking about Bruno). No one tries something daring -- because honestly I don't think they believe their teammates will have their back.
On the upside, now the players are making blind passes because they know someone will be in position to receive the pass behind them. Dull and boring, but a bit of progress.

croadyman

Last game I’ll watch this season, other than Norwich game I can’t see us winning any other games. Keep seeing people say play the kids but don’t think it will do them any good to come into this environment.

Maybe we’ll be bad enough to miss the Conference League which will help next manager, feel sorry for whoever it is as they will be surrounded by incompetence and apathy on and off the pitch.
Yeah Norwich could be our last win this season, however don't be surprised if we fail to win any of them and Spurs is our last 3 points

ForeverRed1

True about Rashford, but as a brand new signing, you'd surely want his impact to be mostly on the pitch.

Where to start with Maguire. I think he's just like Phil Jones in that he's having constant bad luck, but Maguire's misfortune is obviously occurring on the pitch accompanying his shite performances as opposed to off it with Jones and his constant injury setbacks.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, just attempting to take off the United tinted specs and looking at how they'd realistically benefit another club were they looking to purchase either of them.

Correct too about Newcastle who could just go nuts and buy the pair of them, stranger things have happened.
Oh definatly. Maguire isn’t as good as his price tag suggests and the rashford issue was he was too overhyped too soon. To be a great you have to be consistent. Over time. He’s 24 and dropping so drastically it’s questionable. I’m not sure if his off field doings have impacted his love for the game. From the outside it does look like it.. but we can’t say without actually knowing him. One thing is for sure though, he has had way too much pressure and expectation on his shoulders way too young and way too quickly. We can’t imagine how that must feel because most of us just have normal jobs and not the lifestyle someone like him does, I can imagine it’s a lot though. He’s a human at the end of it all.

I just don’t think they are good enough for united l, if we want to be the best but I’d love to be proven wrong next season.

UTD_Since_1978

Why not just play the kids now because top 4 has gone and time to accept it, at least they will actual show some heart and pride in the shirt for last few games
I'm not sure why he didn't give them some much needed matchday first team experience yesterday instead of giving spots on the bench to 1 extra goalie & 2 players who will leave in a few weeks time anyway (Mata & Lingard), that's 3 places for youth to gain experience but no, he didn't want to do that.

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm not blaming Maguire for the goal but that was clearly an own goal, to give that goal to the Everton player is a total disrespect to De Gea & goalies in general.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Oh definatly. Maguire isn’t as good as his price tag suggests and the rashford issue was he was too overhyped too soon. To be a great you have to be consistent. Over time. He’s 24 and dropping so drastically it’s questionable. I’m not sure if his off field doings have impacted his love for the game. From the outside it does look like it.. but we can’t say without actually knowing him. One thing is for sure though, he has had way too much pressure and expectation on his shoulders way too young and way too quickly. We can’t imagine how that must feel because most of us just have normal jobs and not the lifestyle someone like him does, I can imagine it’s a lot though. He’s a human at the end of it all.

I just don’t think they are good enough for united l, if we want to be the best but I’d love to be proven wrong next season.
That's the problem when the senior players in the club while Rashford was supposed to be developing are wasters. Mata, Jones, Maguire, Pogba, Matic, De Gea. All of them are not top performers for various reasons.

The likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Butt won the CL at Rashford's current age, all playing major roles. Their developing years were spent playing with Keane, Irwin, Schmeichel, Pallister and Bruce.

I think he's a lost cause. It does us no good having him stink up the place with his performances while earning the money he does. I'd sell him at this point. He'll most likely perform well for PSG or whoever but I don't think he's going to ever perform well for us again.

OrcaFat

Yes. Good post and pretty much what I think - fix CM and the other parts of the team will function better. But we do need one or two better finishers up top. All in all it’ll cost £250m. Loads of people will disagree and say our scouts should be able to get 4 elite players for 50p, of course.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Without being narcissistic, some may know me as a staunch Ole supporter. I agreed he had to go from about the Leicester game.

It wasn’t a mistake, he really did have to go. But I truly believe we are worse off now than we would be if he had stayed. That’s not to say I want him back but it is a measure of how badly we are doing under RR (not that it is his fault either). Pathetic is an overused word on this forum but there is no better word for it.
The problem with that is even the worst teams started putting 3 or 4 goals past us and that was rightfully the end for Ole.

This right now doesn't hurt as much because we know this is temporary, a lot of players will be going and we're hopefully getting a good manager in. I honestly think if Ole made the summer then the club would have found a way to buy him more time by talking about all the money we'll spend etc. That's if the fans hadn't burned OT to the ground yet, which is also a possibility.

I can live with being shit right now because we all know the wheels of change are in motion and these players are just hanging themselves out to dry. Which will force the club to hopefully take action.

ForeverRed1

That's the problem when the senior players in the club while Rashford was supposed to be developing are wasters. Mata, Jones, Maguire, Pogba, Matic, De Gea. All of them are not top performers for various reasons.

The likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and Butt won the CL at Rashford's current age, all playing major roles. Their developing years were spent playing with Keane, Irwin, Schmeichel, Pallister and Bruce.

I think he's a lost cause. It does us no good having him stink up the place with his performances while earning the money he does. I'd sell him at this point. He'll most likely perform well for PSG or whoever but I don't think he's going to ever perform well for us again.
thats a very good point. I don’t think the money in today’s game actually helps youngsters either. Imagine earning 200k a week in your early 20s. All the other income they get on top of that aswell.. it’s just insane money and fame, they believe there own hype way too much. Add on top of it social media.. it’s just a different game with a different generation I guess but it’s not the same. It’s ruining the game for many many fans.

RopersReturn

Harry Maguire…

I'm not sure whoever looked at that hangdog face; that shambling running style: ever eager, but full of the promise of imminent ineptitude; that "school loser" bowl haircut bouncing around as he desperately tries to rectify whatever shambles his positioning has caused now; and thought - yes, here is our Premier League winning captain. Here is our Van Dijk, our Kompany. Here, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the greatest central defenders in the world. It's like watching the same slow motion car crash every week; yet they keep putting the driver back behind the wheel. It's beautifully surreal in its ridiculousness. Its almost beautiful.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
thats a very good point. I don’t think the money in today’s game actually helps youngsters either. Imagine earning 200k a week in your early 20s. All the other income they get on top of that aswell.. it’s just insane money and fame, they believe there own hype way too much. Add on top of it social media.. it’s just a different game with a different generation I guess but it’s not the same. It’s ruining the game for many many fans.
While I understand why this opinion keeps cropping up, the logical extension of it would surely mean there were NO good hardworking young footballers these days, and NO wasted unfulfilled talents in the past? Both of which are clearly not true. We’re literally just coming to the end of possibly the two most distinguished careers in football, both of which grew up with large wages and some degree of social media scrutiny (Ronaldo was a world record signing for a teenager…. Even Rooney’s first contract here was £50k a week - is there really a massive difference to 200k? It’s still more than you can feasibly spend & both - and Messi - were millionaires before their 20s)

That the best and brightest examples currently don’t play for us, isn’t necessarily indicative of the state of the entire sport. Moreso that we’ve failed to suitably ground our players as well as we once did.

ForeverRed1

While I understand why this opinion keeps cropping up, the logical extension of it would surely mean there were NO good hardworking young footballers these days, and NO wasted unfulfilled talents in the past? Both of which are clearly not true. We’re literally just coming to the end of possibly the two most distinguished careers in football, both of which grew up with large wages and some degree of social media scrutiny (Ronaldo was a world record signing for a teenager…. Even Rooney’s first contract here was £50k a week - is there really a massive difference to 200k? It’s still more than you can feasibly spend & both - and Messi - were millionaires before their 20s)

That the best and brightest examples currently don’t play for us, isn’t necessarily indicative of the state of the entire sport. Moreso that we’ve failed to suitably ground our players as well as we once did.
no of course, it depends on the individual and what defines them. Ronaldo and messi grew up in a time where it was a little less prevalent than today’s game for sure.

it won’t run away with every footballer but some it will. The game these days is just mad. It will be hard for many to stay humble and grounded and you see it all the time. It’s definitely happening more regularly.

That doesn’t mean there aren’t some that aren’t like that as people.

I’d say it’s changed a lot even in the last 10 years.

Bestietom

Embarrassing. Just wish this season was over and then see how we do in the transfer window. We need to bring in about 5 players.

I've have never been more embarrassed of supporting the club. I'm trying to sell the idea of supporting Man United to my 11 years old nephew, we saw the game together yesterday.. It's so difficult.

AndySmith1990

I've have never been more embarrassed of supporting the club. I'm trying to sell the idea of supporting Man United to my 11 years old nephew, we saw the game together yesterday.. It's so difficult.
I don't imagine United are amassing too many new fans these days. When the "team" on the pitch don't care why would anyone watching them care?

buchansleftleg

The best possible response to that game is a series of tweets/press releases from the club, announcing that [Insert player name] is to leave the club at the end of the season.

I'm not that bothered if we tell the players concerned first.

The club has treated players badly in the past, when they have at least tried hard for the club (Herrera) so why are we so gentle with players who clearly don't give a flying feck?

Corridor of Uncertainty

The best possible response to that game is a series of tweets/press releases from the club, announcing that [Insert player name] is to leave the club at the end of the season.

I'm not that bothered if we tell the players concerned first.

The club has treated players badly in the past, when they have at least tried hard for the club (Herrera) so why are we so gentle with players who clearly don't give a flying feck?
That's a lot of tweets!

crossy1686

career ending
honestly, they’re doing us a favour by not getting top 4 at this point. Most of them will leave or be sold and we’ll invest heavily to try and get back in the top 4.

OrcaFat

The problem with that is even the worst teams started putting 3 or 4 goals past us and that was rightfully the end for Ole.

This right now doesn't hurt as much because we know this is temporary, a lot of players will be going and we're hopefully getting a good manager in. I honestly think if Ole made the summer then the club would have found a way to buy him more time by talking about all the money we'll spend etc. That's if the fans hadn't burned OT to the ground yet, which is also a possibility.

I can live with being shit right now because we all know the wheels of change are in motion and these players are just hanging themselves out to dry. Which will force the club to hopefully take action.
It’s not really a problem. It is a fact that we got embarrassed by Watford and there is no way a Man Utd manager can survive that when general results have been below standard. The Leicester loss was the point where it seemed inevitable to me that Ole would go. The losses to Liv and City were agony but let’s not pretend we’re in any better shape to give those teams a game now. In among the bad results we were still getting wins and beat Spurs well.

My point is we are doing the same now - winning some games but mostly drawing and losing, even to poor teams. It’s shocking.

LoneStar

I just have one question - Why is Rangnick still playing the same players who aren’t performing? If the season is over (it is), and you have nothing else to play for, why not play the kids then? At this point, it’s not just a player or two, the whole team looks to have checked out.

Go make a statement and just play the kids one match. I don’t care if we go on to lose the match, I would be very happy to see all these wankers dropped.

LoneStar

They don't care.

They're not playing for the manager because they know he's out of the door in a few weeks. Interim manager with this group, in hindsight was the most stupid decision we could have made. Their actual visible attitude is 'so what?'.

The fans have to put the boot in now and not bother to turn up to games, and don't even tune in on the TV. Don't engage with their social media platforms.

Each and everyone one of them should be at the lowest point possible in terms of their stock, but they continue to earn obscene amounts of money irrespective of how they perform.

I'm done and dusted until August. I've no further interest in this group and I value my time more than this.

I truly hope United fans collectively take a similar approach - but I'm not stupid enough to think it will happen nor do I think the minority who will do similar will make any difference :(
Yes mate, you are right. I don’t think I will be tuning in to watch any United match this season. And i might take a break from the forum and Reddit as well. You support and watch a team because you want to forget about other things in life. At this point, our team is offering more stress than any fun.

If i have spare time in the weekend, I’d rather watch a different match just for fun.

AdNani

the worst thing is the predictably of it. I have a mate who's an everton fan. He messaged me saying your going to relegate us today and i replied with your going to win. It was blatantly obvious.

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 240 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Everton 0:2 Man Utd