CL L Champions League Group A

FC Basel 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 November 2017

Irrational.

We fecking bottled it.

The whole team should hang their heads in shame for that second half performance. The game should've been dead and buried by the end of the first half, but our profligacy and some incredible Basel luck cost us.

Rojo and Martial the only two to come out of this with any credit. The rest can feck off.

Surprisingly I am most disappointed in our two summer signings. Matic was piss poor from the moment he came on, constantly giving the ball away, and Lukaku didn't have a sniff all game. He isn't looking like a United level striker at all. When the going gets tough, he is nowhere to be found.

And Basel can feck off.

Coops73

Pretty shit to be honest, the defending especially in the 2nd half was wank with exception of Rojo who was my MOTM. Should of finished them in the first half.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
We rested too many players with no need, the attitude was lousy. And now we have to play the first team just a few days before going to the Etihad. Pretty stupid.

Silverman

Not good but I make it we will top the group as long as we don't lose 4-0 or more at home to CSKA Moscow due to head to head, so we're fine.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Homestly do not see any improvement under Mourinho, we are unbelievablly negative and tactically inept.

Also playing Lingard, Blind and Darmain in the same team is criminal!!!!

Wayne's World

We will never win anything unless we buy a NEW left back and right back. Even though he wasn't playing tonight, Valencia isn't good enough and the rest are absolutely average.

Blind and Darmian should be sold as soon as we get the chance. How many more chances do you fecking need to stake a claim in the side?

lococol

I hate this 'job done' nonsense. We should have won 0-5. End of.

Roboc7

Fullbacks who can’t attack and only one midfielder who can pass the ball to a high level. It’s not really a surprise we look average.

Denis79

Really hope Lukaku as RW isn't Mourinhos plan going forward.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Should've buried them in the first half if it wasn't for Lukaku and Fellaini. Both fullbacks are nowhere near good enough and Herrera is pointless. Really poor from Mourinho as well.

Dobba

We deserved to be punished for our second half tactics, more than they deserved to score.

Craptastic from players you'd think would be looking to grab an opportunity with both hands.

RedDevil@84

Waiting for people to say that Jose wanted a 0-0 draw and setup team as we were scared of Basel away

iKeano

When you play 7 at the back, you invite problems. No surprise.

Sgeorge

Blind and Darmian was poor. But this defeat is on Jose. So bored with his negative tactics. IMO we could have won this match easily if we had gone for it.

RonW

Shocked by today's performance but this was kind of expected. I used to love Herrera two years ago, because he tried to always pass the ball forward and get into good positions to play those one twos but right now, he's completely a back passer. I have never seen someone play a back pass in the last minute and most of his passes today were to Darmian. Lukaku is another liability, and I know he's a fantastic header of the ball and one of the top strikers in the PL but his all round performance is complete and utter joke, he's no RVN or even RVP or any of the other great strikers we have had like Rooney and Tevez. I'm not even going to comment on Blind or Darmian, what an awful performance from both these players today.

Zoo

Basel deserved the goal and the win.

That United side tonight were just dire really.

Joyless, boring drivel football that no-one should be paying to watch, let alone paying to travel to and watch.

And I'm a fan of Mourinho. But come on, this is just so boring.
The first half wasn’t boring unless you have an agenda.

AndyMUFC

Not good enough. The same suspects that always disappoint do so again. Second half was garbage after taking our chances in the first and they deserved the win.

Thankfully we're all but through.

TheRedHearted

Didn’t get to watch it, but I wonder when he will rest Lukaku. Start young at LW and Martial up front. Or Young on the right and Mr. Rashford where he belongs

ash_86

That's what happens when you play bang average players like Fellini, Herrera, Darmian, Blind . Thoroughly deserved

alsabi

We've qualified with that result, poor as it was, since Basel now can't overtake us on the head-to-head record. To win the group we have to avoid a heavy defeat at home to CSKA.

First half was fine, second half was a disgrace. I was fine with conserving energy but we were so sloppy and the goal was inevitable. Everyone but Rojo was shocking. Understand why Pogba had to come off but we again look so bad without him. Really hope that after this season I never have to see Blind and Darmian ever play a game at fullback, even in the fecking Cabarao Cup or whatever it's called

AngliaRed

Dont see anything wrong with the result!

We lost all control and confidence soon as Pogba was taken off which shouldn’t be the case.

Full backs will rarely see a staring 11 again this season except cup games!

Rojo was immense, should slot straight in next to bailey! Looks like them 6 injections for an England friendly was a waste of time because Jones wont get the CB spot off Rojo after tonight’s performance!

fallengt

Another bad away performance. Can we even win against half decent team convincingly ?

Also Lukaku is Jose's favorite now. He could literally shit on the field and still doesn't get subbed

Sylar

Deserved loss.
only positive was Rojo. Romero did well too. Pogba and Zlatan getting minutes is a positive too.

Canagel

We reverted to Play-Station football in the second half and got what we deserved. Now we'll have to play a strong side against CSKA when we should've been playing a reserve team in a dead rubber game. Only positive was Rojo. Very impressed with him and unfortunately he was a 1 man defence in that second half and got no support from Darmian and Blind. Seriously we need some proper FB's in January.

Johnnyredboots

I blame our attackers for not putting the game to bed in the first half, could and should have been at least 3nil up at half time. So in my eyes it's them at fault for the result.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Basel win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Basel 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Basel 0:3 Man Utd