g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

CL L Champions League Group A

FC Basel 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 November 2017

prateik

Whats the deal with Shaw? Does Jose really hate him? There is no way he is worse than that shit show we had at LB today.

Everyone was bad. Didnt deserve anything. Not for the performance. Not for the effort.

Horrible performance. Dont even feel bad or angry after that. No one on the pitch seems to care. Why the feck should I? Its not like this team is winning anything. At worse, we make a few million less. I cant pretend to care about that.

ajay1002

annoying to lose, but Utd are practically through as group winners. Basel can't leapfrog Utd as it's 3-1 in head to head and CSKA would have to win by 4 goals at OT to top the group

saik

What's the use of us trying to compete and qualify in Champions League if we struggle so much to play score against freaking Basel.

Mourinho needs to stop this shet about playing for a draw. It makes me go nuts.:mad:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Really hope Lukaku as RW isn't Mourinhos plan going forward.
It's a fairly abysmal idea. Lukaku's main strength is ultimately scoring; he's not an awful footballer but his overall game isn't good enough to warrant putting him out of position. Either play him centrally or drop him.

Infra-red

This was just ridiculously stupid. Could have rested players against CSKA but I guess we would just rather have to play a full XI a couple of days before the derby whilst City (who seem to be the considerably less stupid team) get to play their U23s if they want to.
In all honesty, I doubt the team selection will make a great deal of difference in the outcome of the derby.

vangagal

We just need one job to get 1 point and completely bottled it. What a shitshow. This mentality to defend first in away game by Mou really backfired. It is really that hard to score against Basel? If the players put more effort to score the result will be different. Completely waste of chance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Abysmal performance and a deserved loss.

The second half collapse in composure was shocking to see. Our game management was truly terrible. Basel were clearly on top from the hour mark. Our defensive organisation went to pieces. It was an ugly sight.

There are too many cowards in our squad. It was incredible how often players would ignore the more difficult pass in favour of a short one, only to give Basel the opportunity to nick it high up the pitch and apply pressure to our back line. A lot of players should be ashamed of themselves.

No excuse for Fellaini not at least scoring once in that first half. We'll still win the group (we won't lose 4-0 at home to CSKA) but now we can't really rest that many players right before the City game

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Our dominance in the first half led to our players getting over confident in the second. Lingard, Fellaini were floating around trying to get involved in play that should be Pogba's job. No one was tracking back and our full backs were truly garbage.

It may have been a tactical problem but I'd say it was more poor attitude in that second half from the players.

dogwithabone

Still lack that genuine match winner. Maybe a fully fit Zlatan will be that man, or even better Griezmann in January.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
It's a fairly abysmal idea. Lukaku's main strength is ultimately scoring; he's not an awful footballer but his overall game isn't good enough to warrant putting him out of position. Either play him centrally or drop him.
He won a treble with Inter using Eto'o as a Fullback in a lot of games, it's basically the same situation here so let's see who's the brave one to tell him what he did was wrong.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
They scored at the worst possible time. Had they scored much earlier we would have had time to compose ourselves and equalize.

SirAnderson

Generally I wouldn't be so frustrated at losing a match like this, but on an evening when I have free rain to scream my lungs out, I didn't expect it to be out of frustration.

Macern

Pee pee pants
1. We are through
2. We need to lose 0-4 or more to CSKA in order to not win the group

No need for a mass meltdown after this game.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Jose out.
That's my summing up.
Shite manager. We'll win nothing major with him

Ludens the Red

Good first half, shambolic in the second. With every passing week it becomes abundantly clear this team is just not at the required level to challenge for major honours. Far too many low budget, bin bag players.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Mourinho had 3 transfer windows and we still don't have a decent left back or a backup to Valencia...

He is needs to feck off!!

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
1 step forward 2 steps backwards and it’s been that way ever since SAF retired. I wonder when we’ll ever push on? No evidence of it so far sadly. If we get through December within touching distance of the top I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Dante

Average bang
Who cares? We ONLY need to avoid a 5-0 defeat against CSKA to win the group:

Code:
          P      GD        Points
United    3      +5           6
Basel     4      -1           6
CSKA      3      -4           3
That's the head to head between the 3 teams. We're 3 points clear in the overall table. So, in order to finish third, we'd need to lose 7-0. In order to finish second, we'd need to lose 5-0.

The next game is still a dead rubber.

Denis79

Way to early to say anything but from what Mourinho has said so far it seems he will play them together and both games when Zlatan came on Rom got moved to RW... Really hope that isn't the plan...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Calm the feck down. We will easily beat CSKA. Just means we now have to put out a full team instead of resting some players. A draw will even do.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Basel win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Basel 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Basel 0:3 Man Utd