CL L Champions League Group A

FC Basel 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 November 2017

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Should have been 3-0 up by half time.

What annoys me is we made them chase the ball in the first half, so they will tire eventually and we can find space. But instead we slow our tempo and our way of playing to completely negate the fact they've ran more.

ManUtd1999

Good first half and bad second half.

Our defense was shaky the entire second half.

R'hllor

Who they need to kill so guys like Axel or Mitchell get a sniff vs Darmian/Blind, do they have to be bought by JM or to be 26 plus for that to happen or what!? Guess, they arent ready, while Darmina/Blind/VL in current form are, sure.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Who cares? We ONLY need to avoid a 5-0 defeat against CSKA to win the group:

Code:
          P      GD        Points
United    3      +5           6
Basel     4      -1            6
CSKA      3      -4            3
That's the head to head between the 3 teams. We're 3 points clear in the overall table. So, in order to finish third, we'd need to lose 7-0. In order to finish second, we'd need to lose 5-0.

The next game is still a dead rubber.
They just said 7-0 on BT

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pathetic showing.

We had a chance to have a game less this season.
It was obvious we were coming in to it with a ‘just enough’ approach when I saw Fellaini and Herrera in cm. Turns out it’s quite obviously not always enough.

First half was better, but even that lacked the quality needed.

Only positive is that Rojo looked good.

RK

Isn't it the 2 games we played them not by goal margins?
Sort of. Weirdly if Basel win (I made my post on this assumption, not sure why!), we can afford to lose by 4 goals.
If Basel don't win, we can only afford to lose by 3 goals if it's 3-0 or 4-1. Anything other 3+ goal margin and CSKA would top the group.

I think.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Our fullbacks were terrible. Rashford was terrible when he came on. Matic was terrible when he came on. Zlatan was terrible when he came on (understandably so). We just got worse as the match wore on.

Oh well, on to more important matches.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He won a treble with Inter using Eto'o as a Fullback in a lot of games, it's basically the same situation here so let's see who's the brave one to tell him what he did was wrong.
Eto's a far better player than Lukaku and that Inter side was several levels above this one. Tactics in football change and as it stands you'll see very few top sides shunting their most prolific attacker into a role that doesn't suit him in a game against Basel. Of course, perfectly happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see the benefit at all in placing Lukaku in a wide role when by far the best part of his game is his ability to score.

NYAS

Mourinho decided to play for a draw after he saw that we didn’t take our chances in the first-half, and shockingly, it resulted in this.

It was so fecking obvious what would happen when Matic replaced Pogba.

Darmian with an absolutely revolting performance. I can’t believe such a shit player plays for a club like United.

Pathetic. This is more infuriating than Huddersfield.

RedStarUnited

Shocked by today's performance but this was kind of expected. I used to love Herrera two years ago, because he tried to always pass the ball forward and get into good positions to play those one twos but right now, he's completely a back passer. I have never seen someone play a back pass in the last minute and most of his passes today were to Darmian. Lukaku is another liability, and I know he's a fantastic header of the ball and one of the top strikers in the PL but his all round performance is complete and utter joke, he's no RVN or even RVP or any of the other great strikers we have had like Rooney and Tevez. I'm not even going to comment on Blind or Darmian, what an awful performance from both these players today.
THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!! I was telling this to my friend as the game went on, Herrera has REALLY gone down hill. He does these first time passes but they are almost always negative.

Zoo

To be fair I missed it mate. All I saw was the 2nd half.

No agenda, just describing the garbage that I saw.
Fair enough, yeah the second half was dire. First half we could half we could scored 4.

Denis79

We just need one job to get 1 point and completely bottled it. What a shitshow. This mentality to defend first in away game by Mou really backfired. It is really that hard to score against Basel? If the players put more effort to score the result will be different. Completely waste of chance.
Most of our bench players this season got fielded, shows how poor the bench is really.

stevoc

Absolutely fecking zero attacking threat down our right side of the pitch. Mourinho keeps banging on about balance and then plays Lingard and Darmian on the right.

Then he brings on Rashford which was positive but then promptly takes off Martial, baffling. I guess this balance he keeps referring to has nothing to do with the attack.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Way to early to say anything but from what Mourinho has said so far it seems he will play them together and both games when Zlatan came on Rom got moved to RW... Really hope that isn't the plan...
Yeah, I don't like the idea of it at all. Lukaku's a decent footballer but by far the most valuable part of his game is his ability to score. Limit that and I think you're limiting him massively. Which would be incredibly frustrating considering what we've spent on him.

minoo-utd

Forget it quickly as soon as we almost still group winners due to head to head games, but Darmian and Blind both need to go really we need full backs, good to have Rojo back. Jose must must learn that we are shit when we play for a draw this wasn't by Chelsea or Liverpool and yet again we lost.

TsuWave

Deserved lose after that shite second half. Players got too relaxed and we paid the price.

Glad it's not a very important match.
it is/was an important match though, we didn't guarantee our spot in the next round yet

Waynenmads

Are they taking the mick by interviewing Darmian and Blind? The two abysmal players on the pitch!

Camilo

Should have wrapped it up in the first half. We were decent and they were awful. Second half they brought on peak Barcelona apparently, because we couldn't get the ball.

Herrera was appalling, and I think it's becoming clearer by the day that our fullback options are dreadful. You don't need three world-class attacking players to break down teams like this, you need our front 3 and 2 good attacking fullbacks. Still, this is what we have - we shouldn't be losing an entire half of football like this.

Elokobi

Complete horseshit.
It seems you are a Jose apologist.

He set that team up to defend against bloody Basel. His in game management was shocking today and the subs were woeful. He is so desperate to show us all that Zlatan and Lukaku can play together

Reynoldo

Who cares? We ONLY need to avoid a 5-0 defeat against CSKA to win the group:

Code:
          P      GD        Points
United    3      +5           6
Basel     4      -1           6
CSKA      3      -4           3
That's the head to head between the 3 teams. We're 3 points clear in the overall table. So, in order to finish third, we'd need to lose 7-0. In order to finish second, we'd need to lose 5-0.

The next game is still a dead rubber.
Exactly, no one likes to lose but I'd rather a kick up the arse now than in the PL

Sad Chris

According to Uefa's CL Regulation, Article 17

Equality of points – group stage

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
c) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
d) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
e) if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to l) apply;

f) superior goal difference in all group matches;
g) higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
h) higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
i) higher number of wins in all group matches;
j) higher number of away wins in all group matches;
k) lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
l) higher club coefficient (see Annex D).

Martin(6)Buchan

Hope he has some decent defensive signings up his sleeve for the summer because we fecking need them.

Kapardin

Cska can, Basel can't. We are through unless they have changed the rules this year
They can't. As someone said, CSKA need to beat us 4-0 to overtake us.

Assuming CSKA beat us 1-0/2-0/3-9 etc and Basel beat Benfica, ourselves and Basel would be through and CSKA would drop to the EL. We actually have top spot on lock.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So poor in the second half. After a good end to the first half we served up our worst 45 minutes of the year and the substitutions were asking for a sucker punch.

Blind put some half decent balls in in the first half but was defensively suspect for most of the game and truly woeful in the second half, as was Darmian.

Lukaku is officially in poor form, no excuses. He's feeding off scraps but he's useless to us if he stays out of the way until the handful of times he's found up top only to squander the chances.

If Jose is saving Martial for the weekend, ok, but we need a to work on what the hell we're going to do when Zlatan joins Lukaku on the pitch. Lukaku on the right is ridiculous and I'm not convinced Zlatan at ten is going to work.

By virtue of our good results so far the arithmetic is very much in our favour going into the last game but the fact we can still mathematically go out is poor.

On a happy note, Rojo looked like he'd never been gone.

AshRK

THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!! I was telling this to my friend as the game went on, Herrera has REALLY gone down hill. He does these first time passes but they are almost always negative.
Herrera should be ashamed today. He is more negative than fellaini. Pathetic from him. If only we had 2 more pogba's , I would have wished for him to be sold. Average player

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mourinho decided to play for a draw after he saw that we didn’t take our chances in the first-half, and shockingly, it resulted in this.

It was so fecking obvious what would happen when Matic replaced Pogba.

Darmian with an absolutely revolting performance. I can’t believe such a shit player plays for a club like United.

Pathetic. This is more infuriating than Huddersfield.
He did not play for the draw. If he played for the draw we would have drawed. We were far too open in the second half to be playing for the draw. Playing for the draw would have been like we were against Liverpool.

Basel upped it in the second half and we dropped it. At the same time we were attacking too much. He should not have brought on Zlatan. We would have drawn if he had.

Just means now we have to put out a strong team in the last match instead of resting players.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Basel win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Basel 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Basel 0:3 Man Utd