CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 2:3 Galatasaray

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 October 2023

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nobody is gonna steady anything. The job is crazy.

Honestly, ETH going is not gonna solve anything.

We really are missing our first choice defenders though.....
I think he is under mounting pressure, agree though that the problems run a lot deeper. The goalkeeper is a disaster at the moment, but nobody knew he was going to loose a whole defence and his midfield signing who may have stabalised us in there was going to end up at left back. Love Rasmus though, poor lad. We either need to get through or knocked out completely. EL is last thing we need at the moment.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bruno simply does NOT work as the right forward. I don't know why we keep playing him there, since he's never ever had a good performance in that role. I assume Pellistri wasn't trusted after lukewarm performance against Crystal Pallace, but if somebody more senior had to play there - why not Mount? Isn't Mount supposed to be pretty good playing on the wing? At least that's what people say

Hester_manc

So we have scored 5 goals in 2 games in the CL, but we have 0 points. I bet, there are not many, who thought that would happen. 5 goals in 2 games is really good, but when we let 7 goals in......

tjarligdrengen

Mostly I feel sorry for Ten Hag. But at the same time I’m angry at him. In my opinion he constantly makes stupid tactical decisions with fx playing Bruno off position, with not benching fx Rashford or Casemiro.

But God damn injuries and players not performing doesn’t make it easy for him.
- Amrabat as left back, Jebus..
- Dalot is decent forward but horrible defensive
- Constantly an injured cb
- A new crazy under performing GK
- A cdm in Casemiro who hasn’t returned from vacation and only looks like he wants to score goal and not be a defensive midfielder(had the same issues in Madrid for a period)
- stupid idiots, who aren’t playing because of other than football related issues
- Rashford who has turned into a bad Rommedahl over the summer

We lost yesterday primarily because of individual mistakes..

Neutral like Switzerland

...if Switzerland was in Liverpool
Supports
Orlando Pirates
Seems like Utd are legit just a Europa, dare I say conference league team? Think Liverpool and Spurs would be much better flag bearers for the prem.

Smudgers

If ETH is dropping players for not performing in training , what about underperforming on match day FFS half this shower wouldn’t be in the side on Saturday !!!! Drop Bruno , drop Rashford, I could go on get the young lads in show some passion , couldn’t believe Hannibal getting subbed at half time , Rasmus only player who could hold his head up

Care_de_Bobo

I think he is under mounting pressure, agree though that the problems run a lot deeper. The goalkeeper is a disaster at the moment, but nobody knew he was going to loose a whole defence and his midfield signing who may have stabalised us in there was going to end up at left back. Love Rasmus though, poor lad. We either need to get through or knocked out completely. EL is last thing we need at the moment.
I hate the EL as well, but it might be the only realistic way we can qualify for the CL next season at this rate...as long as Seville don't drop down into the competition as well.

tanora

Supports
Fenerbahçe
I was expecting an easy win for Man Utd yesterday as Gala was barely winning their last few matches.

I’m a Fenerbahçe fan and we usually hate them. But we have a point though, they like to manipulate the referees and cause drama on the pitch; spend time when they’re ahead, they play dirty, dive for nothing and ask for a card. A team with a bad spirit.

Their manager was a part of the early 2000’s dream team but his managing skills were being questioned. Well, till yesterday I should say because no one is questioning him right now and they’re ecstatic after the win, understandable.

I’ve read some of their forums and for the second match, they’re praying ETH not to get sacked+Onana and Bruno keep playing. Most of them think it will be easier to win again.

The short guy in the middle; torreira, fat icardi and zaha are praised especially in the comments. Icardi missed another penalty and scored like 5 mins later in last weekend match and he did the same here, incredible. And with that belly.

Beşiktaş has also bought a guy named Onana and he played terrible, then got injured and booked, something. They have a dreadful president and he’s blamed to bring in the wrong Onana. He’s known to transfer players by looking at the transfermarkt tab only.
so now, people argue that maybe Beşiktaş got the goalkeeper Onana and your Onana is the player one.

Altay played so bad in his last season for us but he wasn’t even that bad. Some people think if you’ve paid 50m for a keeper, he should play no matter what. But he’s maybe ruining the whole season and one season is worth more. Our guy with a funny moustache-beard combo needs a chance imo.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
2 must win games and hope Bayern do us a solid, things might look rosier after those, or we scrapping for Europa :lol: :(

Teat

The personality of a football team always, after time, always reflects the personality of the manager.

It concerned me last year where we have up, our captain sulked, we stopped fighting were on the wrong end of some incredible pastings. It was early days for ETH, and the job he was being asked to do couldn't be underestimated, but I was concerned that he'd not at least managed to instill some fight and determination into the team as a starting point.

Nothing has changed attitude-wise, but it's also becoming clear that he's tactically lacking at this level, and there's absolutely zero sign of any improvement or light at the end of the tunnel.

Upcoming matches against Brentford (who will fancy coming to OT) and Sheff Utd (who would put it past us to lose there?) might just give him some breathing space if we can scrape something. But that then takes us into Copenhagen and City.

My biggest fear is that we beat Brentford and Sheff Utd and he's signed a new long-term contract before the City game...

Savlehest

Everyone hates Onana today. I get it, I will not even defend him this time. But please can we talk about Rashford solo run against the goalkeeper when he make a horrible pass to Fernandes ? Easy goal with a shot or better pass.
Amrabat with so many horrible passes. Dalot who got the wrong side of player on the goal.
So many individual mistakes, it’s unbelievable. Sorry but Varane couldn’t make a pass. Always stressed out. Casemiro is only focused on scoring goals and be out of position every game.
ETH with some odd decisions.
I don’t know what’s better, to blame it all on one player or the whole team is a mess right now.
I feel sorry for Hojlund, nearly a perfect match for him.

el3mel

2 must win games and hope Bayern do us a solid, things might look rosier after those, or we scrapping for Europa :lol: :(
If we defeat Copenhagen home and away we will be in a solid position in the group. Bayern will at least defeat Galatasaray once if not twice.

Going out from the group is still in our hands and we are lucky we aren't in a tougher group.

However, you never know with United.

justsomebloke

Possibly a half-full glass of water look at our current predicament but I don't disagree with everything you said here. The only games so far where we looked terrible collectively from start to finish were Wolves opening week and Palace last weekend.
Yeah. Other than those, we've looked more like a mid-table team.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we defeat Copenhagen home and away we will be in a solid position in the group. Bayern will at least defeat Galatasaray once if not twice.

Going out from the group is still in our hands and we are lucky we aren't in a tougher group.

However, you never know with United.
Even if we beat Copenhagen twice, which is a tough task due to our shite away form (and home I guess) we have Galatasaray away and Bayern at home to come. We have to win at least 3 of those games

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Onana spamming long balls to their CBs was quite irritating. Just get the ball down and play you knobheads, you're all good players. But taking Rashford off and carrying on going attacking after we went 2-1 up doesn't seem like it was the best plan. Better than being defensive all game of course but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Teat

Possibly a half-full glass of water look at our current predicament but I don't disagree with everything you said here. The only games so far where we looked terrible collectively from start to finish were Wolves opening week and Palace last weekend.
So in which games would you say that we've played well?

Bobade

Seems like Utd are legit just a Europa, dare I say conference league team? Think Liverpool and Spurs would be much better flag bearers for the prem.
Who cares if another team would be a better flag bearer for the prem? It's not like I want a prem team to win the CL if Utd don't.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Im having this sinking feeling that I see a bunch of men in Manchester United jerseys, but very few of them are a true part of the club.

el3mel

Even if we beat Copenhagen twice, which is a tough task due to our shite away form (and home I guess) we have Galatasaray away and Bayern at home to come. We have to win at least 3 of those games
We really should defeat Bayern at home going by their form but as I said, you never know with United.

Theo88

Meh. We will be fine. There are flashes of a good team in there. Top 4 this year again

Kinky Melinky

What did EtH say?
Same old bollox. Players coming out with the usual post match drivel. I'm abundantly aware that there are many large issues at United, but in its simplest form: these players do not look like they train with one another week in week out. Whatever the hell that means I don't know. I'm not a coach or tactician, but I know what I see before my eyes.

Woziak

I'm not arguing with the rest of your post, I don't agree with ETH is out of his depth but we do have issues.

The Sancho point you made was total nonsense though, we need to kill the player power that's taken over the club, and the manager is absolutely right to punish a player who hasn't been applying themselves correctly. There's a reason Sancho has been reported to have a poor attitude at every club he's been at.
I don’t like player power any more than you do however, is it not true that ETH does have his favourites why should Antony play more than Sancho when it’s clear who has the highest ceiling, Sancho has produced much better stats in the bundersliga compared to Antony Average stats in the Dutch league added to the fact the club overpaid by £40-50m when we knew he potentially had a domestic violence charge over him, that’s on ETH with his futile chase of FDJ, next if he survives he’ll try and sign M De Ligt from Bayern and we’ll realise after 3 PL games in that he’s slower than Maguire but Eric says ya ya ya ya we have Onana, Martinez and De Ligt now we play the Ajax way, we’ll Eric that’s maybe good enough to get about 10-12th in the EPL and that’s where you heading, if you keep your job !

Last edited:

Kinky Melinky

Meh. We will be fine. There are flashes of a good team in there. Top 4 this year again
I thought our attack was surprisingly effective by and large last night. Its from our defensive midfield back that our issues start to amount. Obviously injuries have been a thorn in our side. Amrabat at left back says it all really. I suppose you could assume other teams fighting for top 4 will hit slumps and injuries too this season so who knows.

Morpheus 7

Close to 100 away fans in the home end beside me last night, told staff at half time. Fans openly singing and screaming with chances and goals. Not even trying to hide it, few wearing Galatasaray colours. I will contact club, not that they care. Fans should be stripped of season tickets that give them out to away fans. Disgusting, nearly kicked off when united went up in the second half.

Woziak

Not with 4 defeats in 7 , not a chance if they finish 6-7th they have a good season from this point and Europa league after Christmas is doubtful, bottom of the CL group looks more likely.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Just a ridiculously bad start to the season in every respect. Awful pre-season, quite a few players patently unfit and still not really at the level they should be, injury crisis including three injured left backs, loads of off the field crap around Greenwood, Sancho and Antony, owners apparently not really interested in selling the club unless it is for a zillion dollars which has lead to huge wasted time and uncertainty in the administration of the club. Very unconvincing summer transfer business (again) too, with poor starts made by Onana and Mount especially. Plus some poor decisions like playing Amrabat as a false left-back instead of playing Dalot there and shifting Lindelof to right back where he has always looked perfectly capable.

I do think we will have a decent team come the end of the season, but this year looks like a write off already.

Last edited:

Woziak

I thought our attack was surprisingly effective by and large last night. Its from our defensive midfield back that our issues start to amount. Obviously injuries have been a thorn in our side. Amrabat at left back says it all really. I suppose you could assume other teams fighting for top 4 will hit slumps and injuries too this season so who knows.
We are not fighting for top 4 and our very existence this season in the CL means five clubs from the EPL will not qualify for the CL.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What a f@cking shambles. Even when we start fast and play quite well, we continue to be able to contrive disaster. Most people knew we'd give Zaha a goal but to allow a side that virtually never wins away from home in the CL three points... and the difference between them when they went behind and when we did could not be more obvious.

Lindeloff had one of his worst games (and I'm a fan), Varane even worse. he was MIA - he did a fantastic impersonation of Maguire; an u-9s bit of marking for their winner and Onana, as I feared, is not an actual goalkeeper. On top of that, Fernandes did nothing of use again, Mount continues to be pointless and ETH insists a central midfielder can play at left back, even after he showed he couldn't. Rashford's miss was ridiculous and he had an awful game bar one pass.

I felt sorry for Rasmus, who was terrific throughout and Casemiro who took one for the side and stopped us going behind - forgetting that we'd give them a goal anyway.

Under normal circumstances, ETH's job would be under threat now, but I expect Laurel & Hardy to give him a contract extension by the weekend.

Woziak

Hopefully Bayern can clean up, then three wins will be enough to get us through before we even play them in the final round.
We are not beating Copenhagen in Denmark or Galatasaray in Turkey !

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We are fecked with injuries but regardless even mediocre teams are getting into that area just outside our box far too often. We need someone to take control either in midfield or stepping up from the defence. A solid January signing is a must.

Onana is also losing us games. With De Gea in net we would’ve drawn or even won yesterday. I don’t think Onana is a bad keeper but he’s playing as if he’s had very little top level experience before, and I don’t just mean the mistakes or nervousness. Why go down that early to be chipped? Why is his positioning so bad? He needs to up his game asap or we’re going to be in the shit.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We are fecked with injuries but regardless even mediocre teams are getting into that area just outside our box far too often. We need someone to take control either in midfield or stepping up from the defence. A solid January signing is a must.

Onana is also losing us games. With De Gea in net we would’ve drawn or even won yesterday. I don’t think Onana is a bad keeper but he’s playing as if he’s had very little top level experience before, and I don’t just mean the mistakes or nervousness. Why go down that early to be chipped? Why is his positioning so bad? He needs to up his game asap or we’re going to be in the shit.
Oh, I'm pretty sure DDG would have found his own way to f@ck things up.. but yes, Onana shouldn't be starting. Can't wait for the African Cup of Nations to start...

Woziak

I hate the EL as well, but it might be the only realistic way we can qualify for the CL next season at this rate...as long as Seville don't drop down into the competition as well.
Liverpool will walk that competition!

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 94% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 308 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win