CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 2:3 Galatasaray

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 October 2023

Woziak

With our mental weakness, we'll be blown away inside 30 minutes in Turkey
Exactly we might get 4 points in total and ETH will be sacked, no good people defending him, he had one purple patch season in Europe and still lost a 2-0 lead in a CL semi Final to spurs, he’s no messiah and never has been.

Even Unai Emery has a much better track record in Europe.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Was Hannibal injured or was it an awful blunder from ETH to sub him? Mount or Fernandes were playing much much worse. In fact, I thoughr he was afecting the game quite well

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Exactly we might get 4 points in total and ETH will be sacked, no good people defending him, he had one purple patch season in Europe and still lost a 2-0 lead in a CL semi Final to spurs, he’s no messiah and never has been.

Even Unai Emery has a much better track record in Europe.
Can't see us sacking him - and who would we replace him with. Knowing our clowns, they'd approach Frank Lumpard or Mark Hughes!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not sure it was an awful blunder - we were much better when came Eriksen came on. At least until we collectively shat ourselves.
Yes but there were better candidates to give the hook to - Mount and Fernandes were beyond poor

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Was Hannibal injured or was it an awful blunder from ETH to sub him? Mount or Fernandes were playing much much worse. In fact, I thoughr he was afecting the game quite well
Really? I thought Eriksen came on and did well. We looked far more dangerous with him on. It just left gaps for Gala to exploit, which they did.

But I agree, an issue was Mount and Bruno playing together (again), and Bruno/Rashford being absolutely appalling. Thought Mount played well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Still can’t get over that the side lost to Galatasaray with that prick Icardi scoring the winner. Sucks even more as I grew up with a lot of Turkish folk and majority were Galatasaray mad. They won’t let this one go for sure :lol:

The Hilton

I don’t like player power any more than you do however, is it not true that ETH does have his favourites why should Antony play more than Sancho when it’s clear who has the highest ceiling, Sancho has produced much better stats in the bundersliga compared to Antony Average stats in the Dutch league added to the fact the club overpaid by £40-50m when we knew he potentially had a domestic violence charge over him, that’s on ETH with his futile chase of FDJ, next if he survives he’ll try and sign M De Ligt from Bayern and we’ll realise after 3 PL games in that he’s slower than Maguire but Eric says ya ya ya ya we have Onana, Martinez and De Ligt now we play the Ajax way, we’ll Eric that’s maybe good enough to get about 10-12th in the EPL and that’s where you heading, if you keep your job !
Sancho's ceiling is irrelevant given his attitude. Ravel Morrison had one of the highest ceilings I've seen in a player but never got close to it as he threw his career away. By the same token, Sancho hasn't gotten anywhere near his ceiling with us, right now he could have made the right forward position his own but he was too busy not training properly and then publicly calling out the manager.

To paraphrase Vince McMahon, ETH didn't screw Sancho, Sancho screwed Sancho.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Really? I thought Eriksen came on and did well. We looked far more dangerous with him on. It just left gaps for Gala to exploit, which they did.

But I agree, an issue was Mount and Bruno playing together (again), and Bruno/Rashford being absolutely appalling. Thought Mount played well.
Eriksen has faults for sure but last night when he came on he gave some very good passes and we were far more dangerous until their 2-2 goal. I don't think we have any other player in the squad with the vision that he has.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Anyone else think it's a disgrace that a club as big as United had two goalkeepers on the bench (again). Is there really no one in the academy we could a chance to? Is there really not a full back anywhere in the club so that we don't have to play a central midfielder at left back?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Eriksen has faults for sure but last night when he came on he gave some very good passes and we were far more dangerous until their 2-2 goal. I don't think we have any other player in the squad with the vision that he has.
Eriksen was good but my issue is with who he replaced....

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not sure I've ever seen a player with as much as 95% of the vote for MoM before this! Poor lad must have been pulling his hair out. It's the opposite of 1999 where if the opposition scored six, we'd get nine. Now if Rasmus gets a hat-trick, he must fear we'll lose 4-3

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Bruno has the vision, just lacks consistency.

Last night was the first time I really thought Marcus and Bruno could be a hinderance to any manager wanting to play a style other than counter-attacking football.

Theo88

I thought our attack was surprisingly effective by and large last night. Its from our defensive midfield back that our issues start to amount. Obviously injuries have been a thorn in our side. Amrabat at left back says it all really. I suppose you could assume other teams fighting for top 4 will hit slumps and injuries too this season so who knows.
That's my thinking. The defensive unit is in shambles but with Shaw, Bissaka,Licha, Varane out most of the time it makes sense.

How poor is casemiro though.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bruno has the vision, just lacks consistency.

Last night was the first time I really thought Marcus and Bruno could be a hinderance to any manager wanting to play a style other than counter-attacking football.
But do we really play anything else? Last night both goals came from counters and we barely have more of the ball regardless of who play against. When we face good teams we don't have possession.
Also, I don't see ETH having the courage to drop any of them, especially in our current situation. A smart manager makes drastic changes by seeing ahead of time, when things work out well, not in the deep hole we are in at the moment.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Eriksen was good but my issue is with who he replaced....
It was the right substitution, Mount was having a good game, and you don't drop Bruno when you're chasing a game (which is frustrating in various ways, but it's just the way it is). It's not like Hannibal was having a masterclass in any case, it was a fine sub.

I haven't read through the 11 pages from this thread and I'm sure there is plenty of overreaction, but actually we played a decent game in possession and created enough to win it. Hojlund was really good and the raw potential is there to see, it's harsh that all our hopes are pinned on him as he should more be a sort of understudy for a couple of years, but that's just not gonna happen because of our awful recruitment and planning.

The forward line isn't quite on the same wavelength yet but there are signs of promise, and the firepower is there. Let's see if the collective can improve but with more playing time together, that should happen.

I don't know what to say about the defence, I'm sure it's all been said already anyway, but it's costing us so much to not have a fit left fullback. Amrabat is trying hard and will do ok when he's under no pressure basically (but then again so would you and I), but he makes too many mistakes and doesn't provide the natural play of a wing player - I'm sure Rashford is getting lambasted recently on the Caf (I try to avoid those threads), but he has no fullback offering him what a winger normally would be relying on, and the few games with Reguilon showed true promise. Having Shaw or Reguilon back would change our play so much, it would make that left wing functional again, and would allow to push Amrabat in the middle of the pitch where he could really provide something. It obviously doesn't account for individual errors (no idea what Dalot was thinking on the first goal or what Onana was up to), but it would provide for a lot more balance and would give a bit more serenity to the team.

Cos serenity and calm are definitely things missing big time in our team, there is a very soft underbelly and as soon as there's any adversity, it all goes to shit. Having Licha back would be huge, being more settled in general, but even with that in mind, it's not normal that the senior players aren't providing more calmness to the team.

Jeffthered

Tonight brought absolute clarity for me. It's over. Fully over. It's taken the best part of a decade but the global footballing behemoth that is Manchester United has regressed to such mediocrity, I fear we won't rise again to the heights we were accustomed to again in our lifetimes. It's fully over. Tonight was the line in the sand for me. The realisation. All of that deep rooted expectation and conditioning from being a fan through the 90's and 00's has dissipated into thin air.
I'm trying not to feel this way.....:lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We are not beating Copenhagen in Denmark or Galatasaray in Turkey !
I thought that when the group was drawn sadly, but let’s see. We did win at Sociedad and Betis last season, then play our best at Barca. Need that grind again.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sure as hell felt like that they were drilling the ball into each other first half to try and up the tempo.

Lentwood

I couldn't care less about the Champions League. We've zero chance of winning it so all I wanted to see was some improved performances.

The problem last night was that even without the individual errors, I still don't think we played well against poor opposition

TomSkalle

1. Lindelof has played two games for us at right back. In both games he was dreadful and substituted.
2. Eriksen hasn't been a number 10 for years.
3. Why are you criticising the manager for playing players out of position, whilst suggesting the solution is playing players out of position?
4. Do you seriously think the manager doesn't recognise that Dalot and Lindelof are back-up players?
5. The comment about deserving to be sacked is ridiculous. If you genuinely believe that then you're probably the one requiring brain surgery.

Hope this helps.
1. Lindeløf has played decent at right back, and does understand the basics of holding the line AND playing as a defender because he has done it his whole career.
What you doesnt seem to understand is that playing a defencive midfielder at left back, means the player will not have this understanding, and keep drifting away from his position and not doing the basics a defender should do, because he isnt actually trained at it. This is basic stuff that ETH should understand..
On top of that we loose Amrabats energy on the midfield. Its loose loose.

2. Eriksen doesnt have the feet for playing a sitting midfielder, so number 10 is actually the only place he is fit to play. You could argue that we should never have bought him, but we did, and he needs to play at his strenghts, not his weakness.
Combine this with overusing Casemiro, playing Ambrabat in wrong position, and its looking like ETH is completly clueless.
This is basic stuff, knowing your players strenghts and weaknesses, but ETH looks completly obvious.

3. Again you dont understand, playing a defender out of position in defence is better than playing a midfielder out of position in defence. Again basic stuff, players have trained for years, and behavior and movement on the pitch reflects this.

4. You mean after he gave Dalot a new contract, then also uses Lindeløf over Maguire/Evans?
Lindeløf is as ordinary as you can get, he is the potato in this defence, so why play him over players that actually has spesific strenghts in both boxes?
Its not like this team needs goals right?
The only time Lindeløf scores goals is if the ball hits him in the back of the head and in some miraculous way finds itself in the net.
He isnt physical and he isnt fast.
So why play him over Maguire or Evans?
Its just another example of the manager having no clue at his players skillset.

5. I was so glad when ETH joined United, but again i see the same thing happening over and over, you have new managers taking over teams and not really knowing how to use the squads strenghts.
If its because he has bad advisors, or he is just clueless i dont know, but i know he has dug his own grave.
He is the manager, he has the responsibility.

So many times i scratch my head when i look at United games and wonder if he is a genious that i dont understand, or if he is just clueless.
Im leaning towards clueless.

When it comes to brain surgery, its quite funny to try insult people on the forums like you do, when you clearly doesnt understand the basics of fotball.
Sorry for the bad English, its not my native language.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its worrying how mentally weak we are as a team, though Hojlund seems the contrary atm.

RedAlert27

Hopefully Bayern can clean up, then three wins will be enough to get us through before we even play them in the final round.
Three wins is going to be a very difficult ask. Our away record is even worse than our home one under Ten Hag. Our team lack the character and belief to go away to the big atmospheres and get a result. It's like they are intimidated. Add to that our defence is absolutely horrendous. I can't see us getting out the group to be honest, and I'd rather finish last, can't be bothered with this Europa crap.

MiracleInMadrid

Looking at the first goal again, I'm actually speechless over how bad our defence handled the situation. Dalot didn't look good, but some of the other players looked criminally careless and complacent.

Lindelöf and especially Varane (beeing closest to the situation) shows zero urgency to get back and support Dalot in dealing with Zaha. In addition, another attacker from Galatasaray easily strolls past both of them and ends up beeing completely unmarked and open for a pass from Zaha, or a in a good position to pick up a potential rebound from Onana.

At the time Zaha manages to finish they're practically two Gala players against an unbalanced Dalot and Onana in goal.

All the two of them do is to look at the duel between Dalot and Zaha while jogging back slowly. They just look totally switched off.

Judas

Open to offers
I’m baffled to see so many slating Mount, although maybe I’m not, as people want him to fail. He was good last night, it was a joke he didn’t get to finish the game but Bruno did.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sure as hell felt like that they were drilling the ball into each other first half to try and up the tempo.

Yet people will actually try to have you believe that we played well, controlled the game and were extremely unlucky not to have won. It was a nothing performance.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yet people will actually try to have you believe that we played well, controlled the game and were extremely unlucky not to have won. It was a nothing performance.
The frustrating thing is that it was a game we deserved to be winning and we completely deserved to lose it by the end.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I’m baffled to see so many slating Mount, although maybe I’m not, as people want him to fail. He was good last night, it was a joke he didn’t get to finish the game but Bruno did.
Minds have been made up about Mount for many people and they refuse to recognize what their eyes are actually seeing on the pitch.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The frustrating thing is that it was a game we deserved to be winning and we completely deserved to lose it by the end.
I actually think Galatasaray were quite terrible. Their midfield was disjointed, their defense was all over the place and their attack seemed to have very little coherence. We were basically beaten by a poor side playing poorly.

RuudTom83

Footage of all the Turkish fans in the Home end was a crazy end to a mental night...what was that all about! :houllier:

Woziak

For £55-60m with 12 months on his contract and number 10 you would expect better stats than 1 assist so far, he’s been poor to average at best, works hard, but has very little cutting edge right now and he’s nowhere near the England Squad in that midfield conversation, right now D Rice, K Phillips, C Gallagher, P Fodden, J Bellingham, M Elise, J Ramsey, and even James Garner are better options. K Mainoo will bench him and maybe Bruno too.

Rusholme Ruffian

For £55-60m with 12 months on his contract and number 10 you would expect better stats than 1 assist so far, he’s been poor to average at best, works hard, but has very little cutting edge right now and he’s nowhere near the England Squad in that midfield conversation, right now D Rice, K Phillips, C Gallagher, P Fodden, J Bellingham, M Elise, J Ramsey, and even James Garner are better options. K Mainoo will bench him and maybe Bruno too.
He's only played 4 and a half games! Christ on a bike...

Judas

Open to offers
With respect that’s absolute horse shit. How often has Mount even played in the number 10 role? Also what does the England squad have to do with anything?! Southgate selections are a nonsense, bizarre thing to bring up.

JB7

1. Lindeløf has played decent at right back, and does understand the basics of holding the line AND playing as a defender because he has done it his whole career.
What you doesnt seem to understand is that playing a defencive midfielder at left back, means the player will not have this understanding, and keep drifting away from his position and not doing the basics a defender should do, because he isnt actually trained at it. This is basic stuff that ETH should understand..
On top of that we loose Amrabats energy on the midfield. Its loose loose.

2. Eriksen doesnt have the feet for playing a sitting midfielder, so number 10 is actually the only place he is fit to play. You could argue that we should never have bought him, but we did, and he needs to play at his strenghts, not his weakness.
Combine this with overusing Casemiro, playing Ambrabat in wrong position, and its looking like ETH is completly clueless.
This is basic stuff, knowing your players strenghts and weaknesses, but ETH looks completly obvious.

3. Again you dont understand, playing a defender out of position in defence is better than playing a midfielder out of position in defence. Again basic stuff, players have trained for years, and behavior and movement on the pitch reflects this.

4. You mean after he gave Dalot a new contract, then also uses Lindeløf over Maguire/Evans?
Lindeløf is as ordinary as you can get, he is the potato in this defence, so why play him over players that actually has spesific strenghts in both boxes?
Its not like this team needs goals right?
The only time Lindeløf scores goals is if the ball hits him in the back of the head and in some miraculous way finds itself in the net.
He isnt physical and he isnt fast.
So why play him over Maguire or Evans?
Its just another example of the manager having no clue at his players skillset.

5. I was so glad when ETH joined United, but again i see the same thing happening over and over, you have new managers taking over teams and not really knowing how to use the squads strenghts.
If its because he has bad advisors, or he is just clueless i dont know, but i know he has dug his own grave.
He is the manager, he has the responsibility.

So many times i scratch my head when i look at United games and wonder if he is a genious that i dont understand, or if he is just clueless.
Im leaning towards clueless.

When it comes to brain surgery, its quite funny to try insult people on the forums like you do, when you clearly doesnt understand the basics of fotball.
Sorry for the bad English, its not my native language.
Yeah you haven't got the first clue mate and are making it up as you go along at this point. But don't apologise for your English, it is absolutely fine.

1-As I said, Lindelof has played two games for us at right back and was dragged off both times. He has literally never played "decent at right back" for us.
2-Eriksen wasn't a problem in midfield last night until after Casemiro went off, he actually helped us gain control of the game, he also hasn't been a number 10 for several years now.
3-Oh I do understand the differences but as I've told you, Lindelof has been tried at full back and has been dreadful there.
4-Dalot doesn't play if Wan Bisakka is fit. Lindelof doesn't play if Martinez and Varane are fit. They are literally definitions of back-up players.
5-I've got my own thoughts on why ETH has struggled this season but he shouldn't be anywhere near the sack.

tomaldinho1

Firstly he doesn't play No10, if you are not aware Bruno is our 10, you need to go to the opticians pronto.

Mount was actually quite good yesterday, he's played about 4 games in this new role. I was very critical of the Case/Mount/Bruno midfield three when we signed Mount but I actually think he is the least of the issues in the midfield setup.

Betson

We are a mid table premier league team that is out of their depth in the Champions league.

We have become one of the minnows of European football, embarrassing all round.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
When was the last time we lost a game at Old Trafford from being in a second half winning position?

redshaw

McTom was supposed to be the problem, Fred, Maguire, rooted De Gea. We're still all at sea.

Kane stops non of the calamity, it's a bullet dodged for him.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 94% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 308 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw