CL L Champions League Group A

Manchester United 2:3 Galatasaray

Post-match discussion

Tue, 03 October 2023

Jam

For £55-60m with 12 months on his contract and number 10 you would expect better stats than 1 assist so far, he’s been poor to average at best, works hard, but has very little cutting edge right now and he’s nowhere near the England Squad in that midfield conversation, right now D Rice, K Phillips, C Gallagher, P Fodden, J Bellingham, M Elise, J Ramsey, and even James Garner are better options. K Mainoo will bench him and maybe Bruno too.
This Mainoo, and to an extent Diallo, narrative needs to stop.

Having a good championship season or a good pre-season doesn’t mean they’re going to walk into the team. And quite frankly throwing them in and them struggling will knock them back, just ease them in and stop this ludicrous over-rating of youth players because some senior players are underperforming.

TomSkalle

Yeah you haven't got the first clue mate and are making it up as you go along at this point. But don't apologise for your English, it is absolutely fine.

1-As I said, Lindelof has played two games for us at right back and was dragged off both times. He has literally never played "decent at right back" for us.
2-Eriksen wasn't a problem in midfield last night until after Casemiro went off, he actually helped us gain control of the game, he also hasn't been a number 10 for several years now.
3-Oh I do understand the differences but as I've told you, Lindelof has been tried at full back and has been dreadful there.
4-Dalot doesn't play if Wan Bisakka is fit. Lindelof doesn't play if Martinez and Varane are fit. They are literally definitions of back-up players.
5-I've got my own thoughts on why ETH has struggled this season but he shouldn't be anywhere near the sack.
1. The only reason ETH doesnt use Lindeløf at right back is because he wants them to be more offensive, not because he cant play there.
And thats why he played Ambarat at left back, but it was the completly wrong tactic, as we have seen.
The team gets unbalanced both in midfield and defence setting up like this, and it makes no sense.
My theory is that he wanted more goals after the last game where we didnt manage to score, and ended up loosing one more time.
And this is on him, alone. His fault.

2. Eriksen played a good game yesterday, but he still played in the wrong position. How many players playing in wrong position does it take to loose football games i wonder?
We get overun in midfield, and defenders get isolated, this is ETH fault because yesterdays team was completly unbalanced.
The funny thing is that we actually bought Mount as well. Another mistake by ETH. Not because he isnt a decent player, but because we didnt need him, we need more sitting midfielders, and on top of that he sold Fred.
I dont mind selling Fred over time, but why buy Mount when Eriksen is playing wrong position because Fernades plays every game?
It just doesnt make sense.

3. Not as bad as playing a defencive midfielder as left back. Not even close.

4. Dalot should never had gotten a new contract, he isnt even close to be good enough. I dont mind if he is used as backup, but new contract? Why?
Lindeløf shouldnt be playing at all when we need goals with Evans and Maguire at the bench.

5. He panicked after loosing CP and made alot of bad strategic mistakes that made us loose against Galatasaray.
I cant see him turning it around tbh, because he doesnt even seem to figure out how to set up the team right.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Erikson's arrival was turning the game for us, but then the 'keystone cops' show started, and everything went to hell in a hand cart.
ETH's suffering just now, the injuries and the disconnect with some players, the ability to understand that certain players are not in the 'utility model' and cannot just player anywhere.
Defence woefully unbalanced

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Turned MUTV on after the game and caught end of radio commentary. The commentator kept saying how unlucky we were. David May who was co-commentator wound him back in and told him straight we cannot keep saying we are unlucky all the time, that it was our own mistakes not bad luck. May was not happy with that defending on little bit.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Turned MUTV on after the game and caught end of radio commentary. The commentator kept saying how unlucky we were. David May who was co-commentator wound him back in and told him straight we cannot keep saying we are unlucky all the time, that it was our own mistakes not bad luck. May was not happy with that defending on little bit.
Lad's got more medals than Shearer. He knows what he's talking about.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He also doesn't sugar coat things. Too many on there do. I know you expect them to be biased, that is fair enough, but you also have to be critical when it is called for.
Good on him. You can be unlucky for the odd game, but when you're constantly unlucky, you're doing something wrong.

We defended poorly, didn't convert our chances, didn't concentrate both times we took the lead and our goalkeeper gifted them a penalty and had our guy sent off. That's not unlucky. We were just shit at certain parts of the game.

IRN-BRUno

Wish I'd checked the result before watching the game this morning. Hojlund's 2nd felt like a moment that could really kickstart our season and then within a couple of minutes another disaster is unfolding.

croadyman

Close to 100 away fans in the home end beside me last night, told staff at half time. Fans openly singing and screaming with chances and goals. Not even trying to hide it, few wearing Galatasaray colours. I will contact club, not that they care. Fans should be stripped of season tickets that give them out to away fans. Disgusting, nearly kicked off when united went up in the second half.
Just shows we are finished from top to bottom because no one gives a crap anymore. Like I said in another post there is a malaise around this whole club. Only one person who can stop that from happening

AndySmith1990

Good on him. The bad luck narrative has been steadily growing on here over the past couple months. Same with blaming the refs for our losses. Must be a coping mechanism or something. We're simply a bad team from what I can see

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good on him. The bad luck narrative has been steadily growing on here over the past couple months. Same with blaming the refs for our losses. Must be a coping mechanism or something. We're simply a bad team from what I can see
If the players keep hearing how unlucky they are, they will just use it as an excuse and not look at themselves and if it is something they are doing. Last night it was a lot about what they did, good and bad.

BootsyCollins

Watched the match again this morning.
If we were only half as good as normal team without the ball we would win easily, as in attack we were pretty good as long as we played with 11 men.

Really strange as last match, the 0-1 against CP, we were pretty good in defense imo. Positions were good and we halted them from coming to any chances in open play. Attack was really poor thought.

Seems like we cant play a game when we are good in both for some reason, but we can play games where we are bad at both.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
That team was good enough to get the result at home No excuses

RedDevil@84

Weren't Arsenal accused of deliberately wasting time after scoring? Maybe we should adopt that strategy.

croadyman

Say what you like about guys like Flex but describing us as emotional wreck last night is bang on. We can't deal with the highs of a lead and can't respond to lows of conceding

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I know a lot of people want to replace the manager, but IMO, we need to get the Glazers replaced ASAP.
If we get Middle Eastern owners, they will demand that the manager get results. They'll back him financially. If he fails, he'll be gone.
Simply getting rid of ETH, while the Glazers remain will change nothing - we'll continue as a 4th place club that struggles in the Champions League and Europa League.

cj_sparky

Every game of ours seems to be rinse and repeat. We can play well for a period, look in no danger and it all goes wrong in a moment. Although last night we managed to score before we shit the bed and conceded. Then look like the world has swallowed us whole and forget all the simple things. Sadly it happened in both halves last night.

Sigh

space

Last night was tough. I was shouting a lot at the TV, it really felt like one we had to win. The crowd sounded amazing and then Onana goes and does that and you just knew the game was done. Even after the missed penalty, it felt like we would lose.

It was the most angry I have been since ETH took over. There is clearly an issue when we concede so fast after scoring. It is like they are relieved to score and then switch off. ETH has big problems to address but I firmly believe he is the right man for the job. I never felt this way with Moyes, LVG or Ole at any point so I wasn't surprised when they got sacked. I think the difference is with ETH is that I could have seen us winning some of these games too - with Ole, Moyes etc it was like total loss with no fight. The issues we have are definitely linked to injuries and low confidence. He will turn it around.

Also so happy for Rasmus, what a player he could be. I Thought Mount looked good too. Onana I feel sorry for, he was far too casual but I still have faith. Even DDG started poorly. If Onana doesn't improve by the end of the season then we must replace him.

I think we need to sign two fullbacks in January. Dalot is trash and has been giving the ball away constantly. Amrabat is not a LB either. And we need to start being ruthless with injury prone players. Rashford looks so sad on the pitch, maybe he needs some time on the bench and Bruno cannot play on the wing. Just play the players in their correct positions, and make them feel as if they are part of a squad so they don't throw a tantrum when they ae on the bench. ETH has to do this. I believe he will but I am definitely a little worried.

Gordon Godot

Last night was tough. I was shouting a lot at the TV, it really felt like one we had to win. The crowd sounded amazing and then Onana goes and does that and you just knew the game was done. Even after the missed penalty, it felt like we would lose.

It was the most angry I have been since ETH took over. There is clearly an issue when we concede so fast after scoring. It is like they are relieved to score and then switch off. ETH has big problems to address but I firmly believe he is the right man for the job. I never felt this way with Moyes, LVG or Ole at any point so I wasn't surprised when they got sacked. I think the difference is with ETH is that I could have seen us winning some of these games too - with Ole, Moyes etc it was like total loss with no fight. The issues we have are definitely linked to injuries and low confidence. He will turn it around.

Also so happy for Rasmus, what a player he could be. I Thought Mount looked good too. Onana I feel sorry for, he was far too casual but I still have faith. Even DDG started poorly. If Onana doesn't improve by the end of the season then we must replace him.

I think we need to sign two fullbacks in January. Dalot is trash and has been giving the ball away constantly. Amrabat is not a LB either. And we need to start being ruthless with injury prone players. Rashford looks so sad on the pitch, maybe he needs some time on the bench and Bruno cannot play on the wing. Just play the players in their correct positions, and make them feel as if they are part of a squad so they don't throw a tantrum when they ae on the bench. ETH has to do this. I belive he will but I am definitely a little worried.
Would love to know on what basis you think that ETH is the right man. We are shapeless and passionless. He has not fixed the midfield. His signings are embarrassing in going largely for players he knows. Its second rate stuff.

space

Would love to know on what basis you think that ETH is the right man. We are shapeless and passionless. He has not fixed the midfield. His signings are embarrassing in going largely for players he knows. Its second rate stuff.
We finished third last season and won a trophy. I think he has an idea of what he wants but the players haven't quite clicked yet. He hasn't been helped by injuries and has to also deal with the off-pitch stuff and an ownership issue. It's an enormous job. No matter what people think we are not the same Man Utd anymore, it will take time. Not every signing is going to work out and we aren't like City where we can replace them straight away. We just need more patience.

Woziak

I’m baffled to see so many slating Mount, although maybe I’m not, as people want him to fail. He was good last night, it was a joke he didn’t get to finish the game but Bruno did.
For £55-60m with 12 months on his contract and number 10 you would expect better stats than 1 assist so far, he’s been poor to average at best, works hard, but has very little cutting edge right now and he’s nowhere near the England Squad in that midfield conversation, right now D Rice, K Phillips, C Gallagher, P Fodden, J Bellingham, M Elise, J Ramsey, and even James Garner are better options. K
With respect that’s absolute horse shit. How often has Mount even played in the number 10 role? Also what does the England squad have to do with anything?! Southgate selections are a nonsense, bizarre thing to bring up.
He’s currently getting in the way of Bruno and vice versa so they are trying to both occupy the number 10, The England thing is homegrown Quota, we play in the English premier league so we need the best this country has to offer, a strong united side always had a large English contingent, Neville, Butt, scholes, Beckham, Cole and Sheringham, Carrick, Rooney and Hargreaves all were the cream of English players at the time.

United needs a strong British core

Oranges038

For £55-60m with 12 months on his contract and number 10 you would expect better stats than 1 assist so far, he’s been poor to average at best, works hard, but has very little cutting edge right now and he’s nowhere near the England Squad in that midfield conversation, right now D Rice, K Phillips, C Gallagher, P Fodden, J Bellingham, M Elise, J Ramsey, and even James Garner are better options. K

He’s currently getting in the way of Bruno and vice versa so they are trying to both occupy the number 10, The England thing is homegrown Quota, we play in the English premier league so we need the best this country has to offer, a strong united side always had a large English contingent, Neville, Butt, scholes, Beckham, Cole and Sheringham, Carrick, Rooney and Hargreaves all were the cream of English players at the time.

He's been injured and has only played in 5 games.

Woziak

This Mainoo, and to an extent Diallo, narrative needs to stop.

Having a good championship season or a good pre-season doesn’t mean they’re going to walk into the team. And quite frankly throwing them in and them struggling will knock them back, just ease them in and stop this ludicrous over-rating of youth players because some senior players are underperforming.
Kobie is different, the only reason we won the Youth Cup was mainly down to him and Daniel Gore who created an incredible engine in midfield with non stop energy which currently the side does not have, he will come through he was the most mature of all those players and that includes Garnaucho so if your good enough your old enough I don’t think Amad or Pellistri will make it at united, because Shea Lacey is coming through and he’s better than all of them!

Kopral Jono

So in which games would you say that we've played well?
First half at Spurs, Forest opening minutes aside, Arsenal from start to finish, Brighton before they scored their second, Bayern, Palace in the League Cup and last night.

Burnley away we didn't play well but it wasn't like Wolves opening game and Palace last weekend.

Oldyella

Weren't Arsenal accused of deliberately wasting time after scoring? Maybe we should adopt that strategy.
Watch how often a goal scorer picks up a knock and needs treatment after scoring a goal and just slows everything down. A few clubs do it now, and we definitely should seeing how often we concede soon after scoring. Just reset and calm everything down.

USREDEVIL

What an absolute shit show. Onana made 3 errors from my view, but only 1 cost a goal. Dalot showing why AWB is the king of RB.

Red00012

What an absolute shit show. Onana made 3 errors from my view, but only 1 cost a goal. Dalot showing why AWB is the king of RB.
I turned off the tv straight after the final whistle and I’m about to re watch highlights again just to see what went wrong but my initial thoughts are exactly what you said .

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Still very sore about the result. Can't watch any football review programmes or even revel in the Arsenal misery. Gutted for Hojlund too.

USREDEVIL

I turned off the tv straight after the final whistle and I’m about to re watch highlights again just to see what went wrong but my initial thoughts are exactly what you said .
Should have been 5-2. Hojlund was electric though. Thank God he's coming through it seems.

SirScholes

Connor Gallagher and Garner hahaha behave man

gaffs

When the propagandists start to speak the truth on State TV, you know things are bad.

CasaStreets

Have a nice journey and good luck:cool:
Ehh kind of a weak response, just look at the stats prior to our second goal. The first half was solid and then the first 20 minutes of the second half was the best football we've played all season.

I think some people are so deeply caught up in the negative cycle (and I understand why) that when positives do emerge, they actually won't be able to see them.

We're many miles off the pace right now, but if we play the right formation and tactics with the team we have, pretty confident this can be a CL-qualifying squad at the end of the season. That may not be the bar we want to achieve, but it's also probably the best we'll do with the Glazers cause it's all they really want to achieve.

RedRocket9908

Losing our first 2 games for the first time ever was poor and gives Erik yet another unwanted record and we now need to beat Copenhagen home and away, if we do that and Bayern win both games against Galatasaray then a win in Istanbul (a really difficult task) will be enough to send us through to the last 16 and avoid us needing to go out and get something at home against FC Bayern.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Wow. I just watched the replay and I'm in shock. I'm shocked with our passing. I'm shocked about our tactics. And I'm shocked with the attitude and effort. We were the better team by a good distance and we showed it for all of 15 minutes throughout the whole match. Other than that, we looked like a good pub team going against a pretty good professional team.

The effort and attitude suggests ETH has lost the locker room. I see more losses in the near future and then a new manager. This is just crazy.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 94% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 308 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Galatasaray win
  • Draw