PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Hull City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 February 2017

Joseunited

Recurring phenomena at home games this season,average home performances, opposition keepers playing with divine intervention and the fecking refs completely biased towards the opposition(in my opinion), I mean how the absolute feck did Niasse manage to stay on the pitch tonight??

RedStarUnited

We have joint most draws in the Premier League season yet people are still defending José? He still doesn't know what his best team is ffs. This is getting ridiculous.
He knoes his best team, he just happens to think Martial shouldn't be part of it right now.

Ban

We have the strange tendency to guide the ball straight at the keeper. Like there's some sort of magnetic pull.

I honestly don't understand how our finishing can be this bad.
This. Pogba should have shot across the goal. Mata's shot was as it should have been but too weak imo.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need to make scoring in the first half a matter of life and death. If we concede we concede, at least that should motivate us even more. These flat starts are costing us and it builds the nervousness and complete lack of composure in the second half.
This. We are only turning up for the second half.

redNATION

Dare I suggest that we're just not that good?
Been saying this far a long time, our team isnt actually that good. The table doesnt lie; in the last 3 years we've finished 7th, 4th and 5th, and looking at 6th this season. We have few world class players, and those with world class ability are not performing. We need a new LB (if Shaw cant be bothered), a new CB, a new RB, two new CMs (to play with Pogba), and a new forward, and right winger (if Mkhi keeps declining at this rate); all if we're to compete at the top of European football again.

Red Devil 1325

its hard to remain or see any positivity from that performance, it was shocking beyond belief, and to the guys saying, 4ths gone i have to disagree we are not completely done on that front, altho we are on a knife edge, to the others saying focus on the cups now, only cup that matters is the europa league, and if we churn out performances like we have done tonight then we dont have a chance

Ban

Martial for Rashford, Shaw for Blind and Bailly for Jones. That's 3 crucial positions.

Not only that, clearly this team aren't motivated and it is his job to do that.
Jones and Blind are not the problem. Martial I agree.

Devil81

There shattered, I'm telling you at least five of our first team are shattered.

He's not rotated enough and he needed to invest in the window, you can't sell Scheiderlin and not replace him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Back to the drawing board it seems...

It's clear as daylight that our midfield has lost its engine since Pogba and Herrera have been run to the ground and, as a consequence, whatever positives we could reap from them playing a few yards further up the pitch with the 433 are not there anymore. No high pressing, no collecting second/loose balls (and staying high up the pitch), no creation from in between the lines and Zlatan getting less touches on the ball.

You can blame the team selection, the subs or the opposition keeper but the real problem lies in the midfield area again. We need to find a way to inject some energy into it again or, if we can't find a way to do that, we must work a way around this problem with some tactical interventions from the manager.
That is the problem when you don't buy a backup for a 35 year old or use him as the backup for a better player. That is typical United, leaving it until desperately late to restock a position. The not using Morgan enough to get him on form, then selling him and ignoring our German option for most of the season. It's no wonder the other two are done.

Ban

Been saying this far a long time, our team isnt actually that good. The table doesnt lie; in the last 3 years we've finished 7th, 4th and 5th, and looking at 6th this season. We have few world class players, and those with world class ability are not performing. We need a new LB (if Shaw cant be bothered), a new CB, a new RB, two new CMs (to play with Pogba), and a new forward, and right winger (if Mkhi keeps declining at this rate); all if we're to compete at the top of European football again.
Why 2 new CMs? :)
I think we're good with CBs. Maybe one more yeah. And RB we're all right too.
Winger, forward, CM - priorities.

Moonwalker

Don't think it is bad luck when it's the same trend as we've seen in a lot of games. Not enough intensity from the start, not enough players offering a threat in behind/stretching the game and too many players giving the ball away cheaply and poor finishing.

I don't think you can doubt the general quality of the players but I'd say it's pretty debatable if we're really getting enough out of them.
I wasn't entirely serious. Of course it's not bad fecking luck. You couldn't get anyone off that song for a while though, and even Fergie chipped in.

Ban

There shattered, I'm telling you at least five of our first team are shattered.

He's not rotated enough and he needed to invest in the window, you can't sell Scheiderlin and not replace him.
All of them have been rotated. Most recently Ibra, Herrera, Pogba.. That shouldn't be an excuse.

red_devil83

Just not good enough. Everyone was average at best. Nobody stepping up to the plate. This happens in like 1/3 of our games. There's clearly something not right

P-Black

Hull defended with 11 men.
Ref was terrible.
We missed clear cut chances.

But here's the thing. This has been happening all season. We are almost expecting it now before home games.

But what I don't understand is even in a game like today when everyone's playing badly and we begin to rely on crosses way too early, why on Earth can't anyone deliver a decent ball?
Valencia can't cross, Blind can't cross, Mata can't cross, Herrera can't cross... And let's not forget about Rashford who's the worst at it, yet he keeps crossing the ball. This baffles me. If he's instructed to do that then there's something wrong. If not, why do it?

JohnnyKills

Mkhitaryan and Martial's link up play vs Wigan on the counter was absolutely deadly Mata played well with Martial too withbthe silky skill and first touches between each other.

So Mourinho puts Martial down by saying he didnt play well enough to earn his place and drops him and benches Mata too...

I'm starting to see why Mourinho lost his dressing room at Chelsea.
Can see where you're coming from.

SER19

Only Chelsea last year comes anywhere near. Ridiculously worse than a sum of its parts.
Their players have proven their worth this year. This united squad has largely thrown every manager and excuse in front of them to protect their shit haircuts and instagram reps. Bottling embarrassment to united players of the past

Ban

Hull defended with 11 men.
Ref was terrible.
We missed clear cut chances.

But here's the thing. This has been happening all season. We are almost expecting it now before home games.

But what I don't understand is even in a game like today when everyone's playing badly and we begin to rely on crosses way too early, why on Earth can't anyone deliver a decent ball?
Valencia can't cross, Blind can't cross, Mata can't cross, Herrera can't cross... And let's not forget about Rashford who's the worst at it, yet he keeps crossing the ball. This baffles me. If he's instructed to do that then there's something wrong. If not, why do it?
We haven't even created that many chances. That's the problem. 2 or 3 today...

At least before we created it. Today we were just crap. Agree about the crosses. It was frustrating.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Today. It was the entire team that were poor. just too slow.
Almost wished Fellani would have been available to come on.
But respect to how Hull played. Their manager has done a great job with them. They are on shoestrings.

Ash_G

I wasn't entirely serious. Of course it's not bad fecking luck. You couldn't get anyone off that song for a while though, and even Fergie chipped in.
Ah right- hard to tell sarcasm online at times!

redNATION

Why 2 new CMs? :)
I think we're good with CBs. Maybe one more yeah. And RB we're all right too.
Winger, forward, CM - priorities.
Herrera's not good enough if you want to challenge Real and Barca. I shudder to think what Kroos and Modric would do to this team. Valencia's 31/32 so we're not OK at RB. CB's not good enough, only Bailly is potentially world class.

DomesticTadpole

All of them have been rotated. Most recently Ibra, Herrera, Pogba.. That shouldn't be an excuse.
Herrera needed a complete rest, so he had him on the bench and then goes and brings him on. Pogba and Ibra it has made sod all difference. If Pogba sat still for a minute instead of dancing about all the time he might have more energy for games.

Roboc7

Too slow, too predictable and too many players that don't compliment each other.

Ixion

Once it hit about 40 minutes and it was 0-0 and quiet there was a sense of inevitability about the result. It was very Van Gaal-esque.

About 70 minutes in there was a moment with Rooney and Rashford down the left and I just thought neither of them are going to make a difference and that's two of our attackers who can't really create anything. We're really just waiting on Pogba or Ibra to do something.

Ban

Herrera's not good enough if you want to challenge Real and Barca. I shudder to think what Kroos and Modric would do to this team. Valencia's 31/32 so we're not OK at RB. CB's not good enough, only Bailly is potentially world class.
Barca and Real?
What?
We firstly need to challenge PL teams to think of Barca and Real.
Right now Herrera is good enough and he should be a keeper, Barca and Real or not.

3KDré

Jones and Blind are not the problem. Martial I agree.
Not necessarily a problem, no. Jones was pretty good too but they just don't take the initiative in our team. So many players just pass the buck, they're happy to 'just do a job' nothing more nothing less. We can't keep on playing like this. No one in this team wants to take the initiative.

wolvored

Exactly. I also dont buy into why a professional player or players cant play 2 games a week without being 'tired'

DomesticTadpole

We are miles off challenging those two and will not be signing anyone of the class of Kroos and Modric. Better get used to it for a while. We will have to scrape by with the odd cup like in the past. This a a long, long project. Cannot understand why anyone think it would be sorted so quickly.

redNATION

Barca and Real?
What?
We firstly need to challenge PL teams to think of Barca and Real.
Right now Herrera is good enough and he should be a keeper, Barca and Real or not.
No, our aim should be to aim for the top. We cant buy 5-6 world class players in one summer; it'll take 3 windows. At some point Herrera needs replacing if we're to get there. Competing with the other EPL teams isnt that hard; Jose's just making a meal of it.

DomesticTadpole

Exactly. I also dont buy into why a professional player or players cant play 2 games a week without being 'tired'
Depends how hard you are working in those games. I would say some are working a lot harder than others, even if some have more ability.

Ban

Herrera needed a complete rest, so he had him on the bench and then goes and brings him on. Pogba and Ibra it has made sod all difference. If Pogba sat still for a minute instead of dancing about all the time he might have more energy for games.
He didn't play that long so it shouldn't have affected him.
Pogba and Ibra have been lazy today. Nothing to with tiredness.
Agree about the dancing. Jose needs to tell him to cut that of and concetrate on the football.
I guess we agree. :) They've been rotated but there was no difference or sing of energy.

Philadelphian

Can't disagree with any of this. We have too many starters who are nothing more than squad players and too many squad players who would fit into teams like Hull.

AlwaysRed66

It's just bad luck, it will balance itself out until the end of the season. white text
You can have bad luck in one game, even a few games, but over a season it evens out, & you deserve to be where you are. Sixth in Feb with plus 12GD tells you all you need to know.

Shimo

Played the first half like we are owed the win by just turning up. Can't remember where we've started a game - especially against lower teams like we want to kill them off from the off. So much fecking up of chances all season and in yet another game we've paid the price. What I wouldn't do with another ruthless goal scorer right now.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 448 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Man Utd 2:0 Hull City
  • 30% Man Utd 3:0 Hull City