PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 6:2 Leeds United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 December 2020

Bristol_Red_87

Like the majority of posters, I'll frequently run to the Caf after another lifeless performance so its high time I came to salute putting Leeds in their place today.

Scott and Rashford were excellent, Shaw and James decent too.

Loads more positives than negatives today so lets enjoy the win and sitting in the lofty position of third at Christmas!

What was that? The football equivalent of stock car racing - total carnage. We must have set a world record for hitting a team on the break. It could easily have ended about 12-6. Some brilliant attacking play from both teams combined with some diabolical defending.

Leeds played right into our hands; I've never seen a team leave themselves so open. We had so many chances, Martial even decided we didn't need any goals from him today. McTominay looked like a peak level Scholes; Dan James was like Giggs. Leeds gave us more space than the Hubble telescope. It was madness and it was bloody great to watch. How do you analyse a game like that, when both teams play like it's next goal wins?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If you look at how we responded to a thrashing with Tottenham compared to them who kept attacking I would applaud that but stlll. We beat them quite well
Bielsa teams always attack because that's pretty much what they only do. I doubt every Leeds player thought they would win after 5-1.

Eire Red United

Thats the way the game should be played. Forget fancy tactics, systems and the rest of the rubbish. Just go at it. Great to watch.

stubie

Should have scored more and could have defended better but overall I enjoyed that

Icemav

I thought we were a weird team, but Leeds....

they could have scored 4/5 and we could have had 10.

Great result.

Will Singh

McT...WOW the way he attacked from deep Leeds couldn't cope. We deserve to be optimistic 3rd in the league with a game in hand. I have to say Bruno didn't have the best of games but still look at what he did, what a signing! Negatives are the amount of chance we missed and how easily we lose possession, Martials 2 chances when he cut inside should have both been goals he put the 1st one wide and the 2nd his shot was in the middle of the goal! James put in a good shift wasn't brilliant but he can run till the cows come home!!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Loved it. Especially because I've since been reminded what a deluded, salty bunch of whiney little bitches their support is. Tears have never tasted so good.

Devil may care

That was a Basketball match, pure entertainment to the point of actually being funny at times. :lol:

We could have scored a dozen and conceded half a dozen, it was beautiful madness, neither team can defend worth a shit but in a shootout we had too much for them, and did it without a single goal from any of our recognised strikers.

Jibbs

Awesome stuff... long may this run continue. Need to control defensive lapses. Martial needs to be more clinical.

Strelok

Very exciting and entertaining match. A big applause for Leeds' fighting spirit. What a match :devil:

admrf

Great match, mega entertainment, we could have scored more like 2 to 4 goals if our players are more aware/pass instead of shooting and if we do our finishing job better.

OrcaFat

They only scored because of our incompetent defence, they were pretty bad I thought. Because it's Bielsa and Leeds, they seem to get a pass for being indisciplined and generally woeful in defence and midfield. We completely dominated this side that supposedly played great.
That’s not how I saw it. They look vulnerable when you can run at them but they press well and had more possession than us. They attack very quickly with purposeful running off the ball down the flanks. They switch the play often and get men into space. They had plenty of good moments and they’ve done it against lots of teams already this season. They’re not as good as us, though, as I said.

Denis' cuff

Thoroughly enjoyed that match. Both teams going for it, with the Reds on fire. When we play like that, we are unstoppable. Could have finished as a rugby score! This season is like leagues I remember of the 60's and 70's, where teams were more evenly matched, but with plenty of high scoring goals. Don't rule out a title challenge from us.
thought the same

nice change from all this possessive crap

downunder red

Managers like LVG and Mourinho can go have a running jump. That's what I call an entertaining game of football.
People are saying our defense is crap but Leeds have ripped a lot of teems apart this year. There was still some great defensive work out there today.
Ole got it right today and had a good call in putting James on. Scored a goal and played the whole 90 minutes. Great for his confidence and we rested another player.
Over all I'm ecstatic. GO YOU REDS!!!

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
That’s not how I saw it. They look vulnerable when you can run at them but they press well and had more possession than us. They attack very quickly with purposeful running off the ball down the flanks. They switch the play often and get men into space. They had plenty of good moments and they’ve done it against lots of teams already this season. They’re not as good as us, though, as I said.
Possession is a meaningless stat. They attack so much that they are bound to get chances because they try to make them happen, which is to be expected. It doesn't mean they were great, they weren't at all. In fact their form hasn't been at all as good as people seem to imply it is. They are only three points ahead of Arsenal and have been nowhere near as good as they were at the start.

OrcaFat

Managers like LVG and Mourinho can go have a running jump. That's what I call an entertaining game of football.
People are saying our defense is crap but Leeds have ripped a lot of teems apart this year. There was still some great defensive work out there today.
Ole got it right today and had a good call in putting James on. Scored a goal and played the whole 90 minutes. Great for his confidence and we rested another player.
Over all I'm ecstatic. GO YOU REDS!!!
Agreed!

Icemav

That was fantastic to watch but I have this nagging feeling that Leeds made it incredibly easy for us and we'll struggle against Leicester
Well Leicester are a better team so go figure.

Real Name

Woah. What to say. That was so, so enjoyable. I expected an exciting game vs them but something like this? Not in a million years.

Finally we started on the front foot, grabbed them by the throat from minute one and it paid of. Finally we played like we should every time at OT and we didnt concede first and we got rewarded.

Leeds kept playing the same from the 1st minute and it was good for us cause they were open but they had some good chances too and luckily DDG was in a beast mode again.

In attack we looked fantastic, other than 6 goals we had chances to score 7 or 8 more actually. We were fluid, moved all around, opened up spaces and Leeds couldn't contain us. For a period of time both in 1st and 2nd half we looked like wa could score in every attack.

Scott was in Maradona mode today, he looked like a top class midfielder. He's a first player in PL history to score 2 goals in the 1st 3 minutes. He receives a lot of flak but he's a really good, solid midfielder who's important in our system, especially in this sort of games. Fred again had a good game, was playmaking, passing, tried to score a goal too in a position in which he should have passed but never mind. :) Lindelof and Maguire were good but again shaky in some situations and still dont fill me with confidence as a pair. Shaw was decent I though, AWB was again caught in no man's land few times. Rashford had a good game, shame he didnt score. Martial has everything right not, opening up, dribbles, passes but he frozes in front of the goal. Once he somehow manages to be clinical again he'll go on a streak. Daniel James I was surprised he was in the starting linep but actually he was pretty decent and had a nicely taken goal. Bruno, what to say it wasnt already said. He's Manchester United. Again a goal and what was it 2 assists or something?

All in all afer a bad start of the season things are looking pretty good. It looks like something is building, we are going somewhere as a team and still have potential for even more.

Things which is a difference between us being in and around top 4 and challenging is defense and consistency.
I wont say it but in this point of time we're in the mix for the.. I wont say it.

Finally few words about Leeds. Its all good and well, Bielsa a managerial genious, pressing, attacking football but I rather see us trashing them then being lauded and sitting 3 points above an awful Arsenal. In other words Ole gets too much stick while some managers are celebrated beyond any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

The Oracle

Before the match
Happy to take any kind of win

During the match
At 4-0 I was hoping we would keep a clean sheet, and add a few more goals too

After the match
How on Earth did we not get that 7th goal... Martial clean through on goal, Fred just had to square it for a certain goal, and Maguire with his usual header over the bar

OrcaFat

Possession is a meaningless stat. They attack so much that they are bound to get chances because they try to make them happen, which is to be expected. It doesn't mean they were great, they weren't at all. In fact their form hasn't been at all as good as people seem to imply it is. They are only three points ahead of Arsenal and have been nowhere near as good as they were at the start.
Well they got beat 6-2, so, y’know.

They will surely lose many games but they have many qualities. They attacked us with the possession they had and never gave up. We were the better team but it’s more than churlish to say they only scored because our defence was crap.

Do you also think we only scored because their defence was crap?

Superunknown

That was a Premier League classic. I loved it. It's like both sides decided that they couldn't be arsed to defend, so only focused on the attacking elements. Brilliant!

Scott McTominay was a monster today. A brilliant performance from him. Happy to see Dan James get onto the scoresheet too and hopefully he can get a few more this season.

Overall, I really, really enjoyed that game. We looked like we had more goals in us, too. Could have scored 16! Needed a big performance at home and got one. :drool:

Redlyn

It does have relevance because it lead TO the goal, directly. Although I disagree his kicking was always weak, there was a time under fergie and later LVG when it was pretty good, decent I'd say. It took a nose dive under Mourinho and hasn't recovered since.
The events that led to the shot is not relevant when discussing if a goal was saveable. It would be relevant if the discussion was whether the goal was preventable.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Wish we had scored more, it was such a fun game to watch. Cavani should've got one and maybe Rashford and Martial too. Would've been a great day for our forwards. Also, Greenwood will be disappointed at not getting picked today. He would have liked to have a go here.

Only negative would be us conceding from another corner. Need to work on defending set pieces.

Oh and also, hope Scot McT isn't gone for long. Busy season coming up. Will need heavy rotation.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Before the match
Happy to take any kind of win

During the match
At 4-0 I was hoping we would keep a clean sheet, and add a few more goals too

After the match
How on Earth did we not get that 7th goal... Martial clean through on goal, Fred just had to square it for a certain goal, and Maguire with his usual header over the bar
:lol: completely agree

ThinkTank@Cafe

Managed to watch only second half. McT is MoTM and Roy Keane reincarnation. Am afraid I missed Scholes cameo in the first time.

Foxbatt

It is because the way they play. No matter what they will not be defensive. It's great when we win games like this. But I would rather win 1-0 rather than lose 4-3.
Our defense was a bit of a shambles today and they should have scored more. It's great for the start we had and it's because of this we won.
Good tactics by Ole today.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Great match. Crazy result. Big slap in the face to all the flippant Leeds fans. Learn your place. Another meltdown from Bielsa. The Jeckyl&Hide of Football Managers.

Al-T

Thanks to the team for putting a smile back on my face this grim Christmastime.

Any time a Manchester United team get it right up Leeds in that fashion is to be celebrated.

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 92% of 398 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw