PL D FA Premier League

Leeds United 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 April 2021

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bielsa parked the bus and his team could barely string a few passes together. I thought we did fine and should've won the game. Our counter press was really impressive IMO, which meant Leeds couldn't get out of their half at times. A few more quality additions to this squad and games like these would be comfortable wins.

I thought our tactics were spot on today, which exposed a number of players in the Leeds team.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Point gained. Closer to securing second. We move.

croadyman

Point gained. Closer to securing second. We move.
Very true but it's bad enough when there is nothing on your last league game (well apart from if the league is won) but it's going to be the case for FIVE of them

A-man

It was apparent Ole was happy with 0-0 as he didn’t move up the normal people on corners etc. A bit disappointing but understandable.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
*(As a Man United fan I have never left Elland road in the past without; a slashed tyre (private car), a brick through coach window, (supporters club travel), being spat on, (in the ground), chased out of coach park (different occasion)... to be fair ! stopped going to Elland road in the late seventies...don't think they liked me somehow!)
Damn.
That's quite a catalogue of events which you have had the misfortune to have been on the end of, in Leeds.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I’m pretty happy with how we’ve been playing. People are quick to forget just how dire and lifeless we were under Mourinho.
This team has gelled quite well considering the circumstances. Maguire has really impressed and so has Lindelof.

However, I do feel Daniel James is just short of having the required skills to be a first-teamer. His first touch and footballing instincts aren’t the sharpest. But he is still a decent squad option at the moment.

Hoping we grab a 2-0 win against Roma.

oz insomniac

So a game to stay up past midnight to watch. Was hesitant to watch as playing without a real 9 is an issue once Cavani didn’t start.

What is highlighted is that neither Rashford or Greenwood can play that role and are possibly always going to play as a wider player or a sort of false 9 to really be their most use.

How would the team look with a Ruud or RVP up front and a Giggs or Beckham wide, completely different proposition and real threat to challenge Citeh.

The big question now, will the Glazers understand football and fund the necessary signings to transform Man Utd, the answer is probably dont hold your breath as you likely end up in hospital

lex talionis

Points dropped from a match we dominated, but of no real consequence. City are not going to collapse. And we’re comfortably in the top four, actually comfortably in second.

Still, it was sad to see James look so completely in over his head. There’s nitpicking on several players we could discuss, but it would pointless to do so. The events of the last week must have had some impact and all eyes are on Thursday, rightly so.

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
I agree. i think we win it if Greenwoood had started on the right instead of him.

Dan James was the one player in our team that looked like he was out of his depth. Could not make the right decision given the situation.
I don't rate Dan James as a first team player for Manchester United but you can't deny his work rate and effort. However, having said that what was wrong with starting Greenwood on the right and Cavani in the middle? They both give you EFFORT and more importantly a stroke of genius when needed. Unlike the kid who really has no idea.

hungrywing

Two big points dropped in a potential title-challenge.

In this sort of situation, every game is a huge teaching opportunity for the squad. 'City aren't going to slip up anyways' is not the point.

bsCallout

Thought overall we were decent but lacked any cutting edge.

Our press was fantastic, we were aggressive and we created some half chances that we fluffed.

Leeds ultimately seemed intent on stopping us playing football at all costs. 'For the game to not be unbalanced took a massive effort' (Bielsa) - took a lot of fouls, that's what it took.

Longshanks

Two big points dropped in a potential title-challenge.

In this sort of situation, every game is a huge teaching opportunity for the squad. 'City aren't going to slip up anyways' is not the point.
City aren't going to lose 3 of there last 5 games whatever fantasy land we live in. We know that, Ole knows that and the players know that. No matter how much Ole can and will try to instill the mentality of it's not over till it's over, it really is over and the players looked like they didnt quite have 100% intensity yesterday.

It was a dead rubber today and it played out like one. We should of won either way, the better side and fecked up/missed 3 or 4 very good chances.

Remember we have a euro semi to play in the week and hopefully a trophy to win to end our drought.

Lets face it, we are finishing top four , we werent catching City all before the game. Rest of our league games are almost insignificant for me, 2nd or 4th is the same.
It’s really not.

Yesterday the players didn’t look too interested, think many have one eye on Roma and second in the league is pretty much wrapped up anyhow.

Awful game but as long as we perform versus Roma, no-one will or should care. Expect both Cavani and Pogba to start that one.

hungrywing

City aren't going to lose 3 of there last 5 games whatever fantasy land we live in. We know that, Ole knows that and the players know that. No matter how much Ole can and will try to instill the mentality of it's not over till it's over, it really is over and the players looked like they didnt quite have 100% intensity yesterday.

It was a dead rubber today and it played out like one. We should of won either way, the better side and fecked up/missed 3 or 4 very good chances.

Remember we have a euro semi to play in the week and hopefully a trophy to win to end our drought.
This post is actually a really good illustration of how the average person doesn't understand certain things about winning.

Not sure why the city dropping points thing was mentioned as, again, it's completely besides the point. Hence the part where it was emphasized as being besides the point.

People who've never won before - in this case, a lot of players in the squad - can get invaluable experience from situations like this.

It has absolutely nothing to do with quotidian 'cringeworthy' stuff such as 'don't give up' or 'it's not over till it's over'.

troylocker

We deserved the win and were the better team from start to finish, but they managed to break down our rythm with fouls (21 fouls from Leeds is extreme). 1 point away against Leeds when we beat them 6-2 at OT is not too bad. Their only focus was not to let us humiliate them again.

Leeds has given all the big teams a good fight this season and have plenty of great results against them: Chelsea 0-0 (H), Liverpool 1-1 (H), City 1-2 (A) and 1-1 (H) and Leicester 1-3 (A). They are now unbeaten in 6 matches including matches against us, City, Liverpool and Chelsea.
On to Roma and finally win a semi!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We deserved the win and were the better team from start to finish, but they managed to break down our rythm with fouls (21 fouls from Leeds is extreme). 1 point away against Leeds when we beat them 6-2 at OT is not too bad. Their only focus was not to let us humiliate them again.

Leeds has given all the big teams a good fight this season and have plenty of great results against them: Chelsea 0-0 (H), Liverpool 1-1 (H), City 0-1 (A) and 1-1 (H) and Leicester 1-3 (A). They are now unbeaten in 6 matches including matches against us, City, Liverpool and Chelsea.
On to Roma and finally win a semi!
I think you’ll find that they beat City 2-1 away.

Nevertheless it says a lot about fans’ expectations if we think that was a good result. Leeds were negative and we lacked quality in the final third. It was abysmal really to let them off

troylocker

I think you’ll find that they beat City 2-1 away.

Nevertheless it says a lot about fans’ expectations if we think that was a good result. Leeds were negative and we lacked quality in the final third. It was abysmal really to let them off
Thanks, fixed it.

Never said it was a good result, but it wasn't a horrible one either. I allways expect to win these kind of fixtures and was dissapointed we didn't. We owned the game and played against a team that was all about not letting us play football, and agree we should have punished them, but our performance was not as bad as some claims it was. Looking back now, it was an ok result against a team that's shown it can make it hard for you.
What would you call City's 1-2 against 10 of them at home if this was abysmal from us?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Just savour the tedium of that match. You’ll miss it when the fans turn up next year.

Maticmaker

Damn.
That's quite a catalogue of events which you have had the misfortune to have been on the end of, in Leeds.
It certainly was!
Not my favourite place Leeds, also its a bit like a trying to get out of a 'plug hole' when driving there in that era; I understand its not much better now!

Football/hooligan violence was rife in that period, to be fair some so called United fans could dish it out as well. Remember going down to Wembley for 1976 FA cup final against Southampton (that fateful 0-1) and our coach was turned away from three service stations, with everyone bursting for the toilet; eventually we were allowed to stop somewhere and the place was swarming with police, some even in the toilets themselves.

Talk about the past being a foreign country!

Hughes35

Terrible game and a poor performance. The thing that slightly worries me is that while this result isn't too important, a good performance builds momentum for the more important game against Roma.

Would take a win on Thursday and a draw next weekend.

Pavl3n

That game was a preview of what our team would look like if Pogba, Cavani leave and we fail to bring Sancho or a quality CM/DM.

Mind you I think Pogba and Cavani were rested for the busy period ahead. But still there's a piece of me that thinks Pogba wasn't played because Ole believed Leeds will go guns blazing once more and was afraid Paul would get ran over.

We played a very basic eleven versus deep sitting Leeds, who relied on counter attacks and came close once. They pressed gung ho as soon as the ball was about to enter their defensive third and weren't shy to foul. We should've buried our chances - Rashford, Maguire and Bruno (in order of appearance).
We all agree it was a dead rubber on a stadium where City, Chelsea and Liverpool have all failed to win.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody else think we're being purposely cautious so we can get the away game record? we're 2 matches away with an underperforming Villa and Wolves remaining.

Longshanks

This post is actually a really good illustration of how the average person doesn't understand certain things about winning.

Not sure why the city dropping points thing was mentioned as, again, it's completely besides the point. Hence the part where it was emphasized as being besides the point.

People who've never won before - in this case, a lot of players in the squad - can get invaluable experience from situations like this.

It has absolutely nothing to do with quotidian 'cringeworthy' stuff such as 'don't give up' or 'it's not over till it's over'.
I think your post perfectly epitomizes how the average person has no understanding of human nature.

Everyone has now realised that city will win the title and I suspect everyone has realised that we will finish top 4 and probably finish 2nd.

You see it's not that we didnt try yesterday and there was no effort, but just more that the pressure was off the players know as do we, there gaining nothing from pretending like we are right in it chasing city down to the wire because it's just pretend they wont learn anything the pressure isnt real.

If there was something really on it than the last 10/15 minutes would of been a different prospect the effect of the pressure cooker would of put the players into a sink or swim situation you cant simulate it no matter how hard you try.

hungrywing

I think your post perfectly epitomizes how the average person has no understanding of human nature.

Everyone has now realised that city will win the title and I suspect everyone has realised that we will finish top 4 and probably finish 2nd.

You see it's not that we didnt try yesterday and there was no effort, but just more that the pressure was off the players know as do we, there gaining nothing from pretending like we are right in it chasing city down to the wire because it's just pretend they wont learn anything the pressure isnt real.

If there was something really on it than the last 10/15 minutes would of been a different prospect the effect of the pressure cooker would of put the players into a sink or swim situation you cant simulate it no matter how hard you try.
:lol:

I guess technically none of that is incorrect even though it has absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed.

dal

If Pogba and Cavani leave we’re truly fecked.
Such an overreaction.

Pogba seems to play most games as a left forward now, we simply replace him with Grealish who is better.

And we need a top striker also.

It’s just natural evolution.

Longshanks

:lol:

I guess technically none of that is incorrect even though it has absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed.
You were talking about how the players could of gained invaluable experience from situations like this and something about a potential title challenge that's let's be honest is non existent.

I was just pointing out that the players will gain nothing from these last games in PL as the pressure is basically off there isnt any jeopardy to dropping points.

What have I missed?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Anybody else think we're being purposely cautious so we can get the away game record? we're 2 matches away with an underperforming Villa and Wolves remaining.
Nah. I think Ole would like as many points on the board as possible. It will help with the narrative that we're bridging the gap, even if City started slowly this year and Liverpool have imploded.

I just think Leeds were more defensively solid yesterday and we couldn't really deal with the man marking (and the intensity) in trying to find openings in the final third. And we weren't helped by expecting it to be a very open game, going with a combative but uncreative midfield and Daniel James.

Adam-Utd

Nah. I think Ole would like as many points on the board as possible. It will help with the narrative that we're bridging the gap, even if City started slowly this year and Liverpool have imploded.

I just think Leeds were more defensively solid yesterday and we couldn't really deal with the man marking (and the intensity) in trying to find openings in the final third. And we weren't helped by expecting it to be a very open game, going with a combative but uncreative midfield and Daniel James.
Yeah Leeds certainly defended well, they've done really well against City and Liverpool recently too.

I just think we were dominant all game and they barely had any threat, if we really went for it we could have won. We seemed happy to settle for the draw.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah Leeds certainly defended well, they've done really well against City and Liverpool recently too.

I just think we were dominant all game and they barely had any threat, if we really went for it we could have won. We seemed happy to settle for the draw.
To borrow a Jose metaphor, the players and Ole expected meat and were served fish. And the personnel we had wasn't ideal to open them up. They definitely weren't going to welcome another hammering.

An early goal for either side would have made things interesting, but I don't mind the draw too much. They're in good form, the fittest side in the league and well rested too. I would have preferred to spare Rashford though.

Adam-Utd

To borrow a Jose metaphor, the players and Ole expected meat and were served fish. And the personnel we had wasn't ideal to open them up. They definitely weren't going to welcome another hammering.

An early goal for either side would have made things interesting, but I don't mind the draw too much. They're in good form, the fittest side in the league and well rested too. I would have preferred to spare Rashford though.
Yep, it was turned into a bit of a press + foul fest, don't think the referee did a great job at all.

The ball was either over turned by insane midfield pressure, or as soon as somebody got free a tactical foul was made.

The tackle in the 1st half on Rashford especially, I really thought that could have been a red. It just needed 1 touch and he's running straight at goal.

Alan Partridge

Such an overreaction.

Pogba seems to play most games as a left forward now, we simply replace him with Grealish who is better.

And we need a top striker also.

It’s just natural evolution.
You think we’ll be signing Grealish and a top striker?

Infra-red

It's possible, but I think it's more likely that Leeds just really didn't want to lose 6-2 again and so set up defensively and we once again demonstrated that we are pretty bad at breaking down sides that deny us space to counterattack into.

A point was also OK for both sides, so no great impetuous to take risks for the win.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 193 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Leeds United 1:3 Man Utd
  • 19% Leeds United 1:2 Man Utd