PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 5:1 Leeds United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 August 2021

Dante

Average bang
Bruno's goal was spectacular all around - the pass, the run, the volley, the way it flew under the cross bar.
But if you take Mason's finish in isolation, I think the finish itself was better. It had to be precise and well directed.

Overall I'd give it to Bruno.
I'm obviously nowhere near as good as either Greenwood or Bruno.

However - thinking about myself - I could just about see me doing something akin to what Greenwood managed.

But I could never even dream of Bruno's first time shot, on the run, with the ball arriving off the ground, and from behind.

croadyman

Camavinga and Trippier in this team would put us up there with City, PSG and Bayern imo.
Consider Trippier more of a bonus signing whereas a DM/DLP would really link the defence and midfield together nicely. Kieran has to really push for the move to get that Atletico valuation down to have any chance.

Eli Zee

Greatgame. One thing I noticed in the first half is Mctominay and James both got in decent shooting positions, and then kept dribbling and got closed down. I hope the coaches tell them to just let it rip in those situations, even if it's a half chance. It's better than getting closed down a second later and just kicking it at a defender.

Jeffthered

First of all, happy 2021/2 season to all. It's extremely competitive so let's see how we go.

Today was a great start, crowds back, Varane presentation... then a smashing win. Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood all did their thing. Can't assess much until we see all teams a few times, but it's a great start.

Leeds were all over the place, and at times, their game lacks maturity.

AllezLesDiables

It's going to be great season of fabulous football.

- Pogba brilliant
- Bruno back to his best after a good rest. I was very happy when Portugal were knocked out early so he would get a rest.
- Love Maguire's runs forward, he'll cause a lot of problems
- That finish from Greenwood was so hard with the run, the pressure and the angle.
- It's early but Sancho knows when to keep things simple and when to use his moves. Great sign of things to come.
- McT very good, I think Leeds to decided to mark Fred tight and make McT play the ball

I love seeing the fans. I hope the U.S.A. learns from England that the delta variant is not that big of a threat to life and society must remain open and let people live their lives as they see fit. (sorry to get political but I can see some people here shutting down crowds for sports)
You absolute weapon, the Delta variant is a serious problem and both Gamma and Lambda variants are worse. This type of ignorance only prolongs the issues. Just another super spreader event.

Offsideagain

Just shows what we can do when we pass forward at pace and not tippy tapping sideways to build up passing stats like Guardiola does.

Steve 007

I’m confused. Were the players ready/up-to match fitness after our terrible preseason or not?
After 70 odd minutes he took off Pogba and McT and we looked like we were tired. I think at 5-1 we stopped playing and started conserving energy, Shaw seemed like it was catching him in the end and AWB looked a little tired at times. Perfectly natural at this stage of the season though.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Obviously going to much tougher challenges to come as we have always played well when we are given room to play, it’s when we have to break teams down we struggle.

but you can’t ask for a better start. Bruno and Pogba were phenomenal today! When Those two are on form we are as good as anyone.

AndyMUFC

Fantastic start the season. This Leeds side completely plays to our strengths, we looked like scoring every time we went forward like we did against them at OT last time.

Scary squad we've got now for sure.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I get the feeling that was painful for you to write. It's must be hard to be so anti Ole with matches like these.
At the moment I'm pro Ole, though! Today was awesome but I'm interested in seeing how we do against defensive sides this season.

Is that okay?

Devil may care

Great start, still too open through the middle at times but Bruno, Pogba and Mason were brilliant today.

Strelok

I asked this in the matchday thread, but I might as well do it here as well.

Which finish was better: Greenwood or Bruno's third? For me, it's Bruno.

Bruno for me too.

It's actually a very difficult finish but he hit it with such power and accuracy.

Denis79

Missing the world class finish from Greenwood
We have our future nr 9 set for many years to come. So cool, collected, incredible first touch, aware of his surroundings, just wow! And he hasn't even turned 20 yet! I really hope he gets loads of time to play in the striker position because today was just wow!

Mike Smalling

Great way to start the season - especially with a few key players still to come join. Hope the team doesn't get carried away though. Leeds' style of play is just a great match for us, which is why we basically got the same result in this fixture last year. But awesome to hit the ground running and having key attacking players contribute.

TsuWave

Does Leeds have like the equivalent of a Arsenal FanTV youtube channel? would like to see what they thought of the game

I asked this in the matchday thread, but I might as well do it here as well.

Which finish was better: Greenwood or Bruno's third? For me, it's Bruno.

I go with Greenwood because of the angle, and the defender on him

Winrar

It feels incredible to wake up to this scoreline for our first PL match. I thought it would be a lot closer with us snatching the win but we blew them out of the water again, this time in front of a full stadium since the 19/20 manchester derby.

I'm getting giddy and bullish for our matches again.

croadyman

Obviously going to much tougher challenges to come as we have always played well when we are given room to play, it’s when we have to break teams down we struggle.

but you can’t ask for a better start. Bruno and Pogba were phenomenal today! When Those two are on form we are as good as anyone.
Yeah no doubt our achilles heel is breaking teams down and obviously need to be better in the big six games (well that's debatable)

xtal191

Surprised De Geas average is below 7, James is the only starter today deserving of a rating below 7 imo

Lam

No Varane, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho, and Martial in the line up.

Been years, almost a decade, since Arsenal has been competitive but it still feels special when they lose and we put in a performance like this.

Strelok

I've just watched the highlight again. Maybe just me but the pass from Pogba to Mason in the second goal is simply wow. The level of accuracy is astonishing especially for such a long, difficult pass. Absolutely fecking brilliant.

Last edited:

Matthew84!

I think it was an amazing first game, I'll be the first to admit I had my doubts after seeing the starting line up but everyone pulled their weight.
I would start the same 11 against Southampton.
Looking forward to the next one.

Utd77

Did not expect that, absolutely outstanding team performance.

With Cavani, Varane, Sancho and Rashford all to come in and hit their stride, Utd are looking strong.

And arguably, if everyone stays fit, you would have to say Utd are the dark horses for the title.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Great start, let's keep it up.

On a sour note, the subs kit looks like they've been sprayed with ketchup.

Siorac

Of course we win 5-1 when I have to miss the game. Bloody typical.

Great start though, couldn't have wished for better.

Denis79

I've just watched the highlight against. Maybe just me but the pass from Pogba to Mason in the second goal is simply wow. The level of accuracy is astonishing especially for such a long, difficult pass. Absolutely fecking brilliant.
Pogba was magical, absolutely brilliant today.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Beautiful, beautiful. Also a day of (good ) records. Pogba with 4 assists, a Premier League first and first opening day hatrick by an United player since 1977 apparently !! But best of all is thrashing those Leeds cnuts again.

Reactions: Sultan

Alek M

Da manic one
I am surprised nobody mentioned Pogba failure to close down for Leeds goal.

The only flaw in almost perfect game for him.

dal

Bruno for me too.

It's actually a very difficult finish but he hit it with such power and accuracy.
I’d say what Greenwood is doing is a bit ridiculous, it’s just his technique it’s so effortless and fluid. Bruno there running on to it and finishing, I don’t really think is that hard, each to their own.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I am surprised nobody mentioned Pogba failure to close down for Leeds goal.

The only flaw in almost perfect game for him.
I couldn't see it over his 4 assists unfortunately

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 56% of 502 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 504 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win