PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Fri, 10 August 2018

Judas

Open to offers
Glad we won with a real mixed bag of a side, all different levels of fitness, that'll do. It wasn't fun to watch, but I'm very happy we came out with the 3 points.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Pereira looked absolutely class, loving the midfield in general. Our front 3 were for the most part, awful and it cost us chances and counter attacks. Sanchez was terrible and some of his decision making was horrible.

Andersons Dietician

There was good and bad about that game. First 12 minutes we looked really good, defence pushed up, fullbacks pushed up, the we started to get a bit sloppy with the ball and we dropped back a bit. Better choices and passing we would have cruised that game. No idea what Sanchez was up to, he was really poor.
Shaw was really good and I was quite impressed with Lindelof and Bailly, looked a bit Raw and rash at times but again promise there, for sure stuff to be positive about in that game.

SalfordRed1960

Nice result.

Have some exceptional attacking talent and should focus on that more. No standout players, but thought Periera, Fred were very good.

Disjointed once subs came on.

LoneStar

Shaw and Periera took their chances very well. We lost control after Pogba and Fred were taken off. McTominay is like a worse version of Fellaini, offers absolutely nothing in attack.

Midfield impressed me the most today, Pogba leading the show. Defence was solid until that last minute goal dampened my mood a bit. I'll take the 3 points and move on.

Also, please let us never play Mata and Darmian on the same side, ever.

CA_vampire

Not bad, not good. Three points are great.

At the end, it was embarrassing we could not hold the ball at all. This is a big problem, under pressure our passing is terrible.

JG3001

First game of season, team not at full strength, I have complaints but 3 points is what matters here. De Gea has been a wobbler since the World Cup, poor goalkeeping that.

Thought Pogba played well, Sanchez frustrated too much, decent start by Fred. Early days all in all.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Would have been more interesting without a pen after 180 seconds. Too much joseball after that.

PvsNP

Pereira belongs in this team. I think he'll turn into quite a passer once he's gotten enough experience and confidence.

fallengt

Sanchez was close to a 1/10 match there.
Our players still have little idea in the final third

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Given how shite pre-season was, I'll take that. Some good spells, but some awful ones too. Such a shit goal to concede in what should have been a totally comfortable win. But it'll do.

Fred looks fun. Went through spells of being our best and worst player. Total lunatic.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Happy for Shaw, this goal meant shitloads to him obviously, as much as I dislike him I hope it helps him kick off with this season, Young's not getting any younger.

Overall a sloppy match, poor in the first half, better in the second, shame Lukaku didn't take his chance. Fred has overdone it today, blame it on the debut and the nerves I guess, he'll probably be suspended though. Sanchez looked poor most of the time, apart from a couple of very good plays. Lindelöf good again.

Pereira MOTM for me.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Good win for Man. United, thought it was entertaining enough.

Not sure how well that back 4 will hold up away from home if they start next week.

Would've been interesting if Vardy had been fit enough to start, Kelechi is poor as a lone forward.

Dunno what's up with Alexis, looks drunk in the final third nowadays.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Much improved in the second half, but still could be better. Lukaku should have buried that chance. Sanchez was hit and miss, although he should have had an assist.

It is going to be torture watching us play away from home this season again. Basically win 1-0 every match away from home.

I thought Andreas was very good. Fred showed some neat passes, but lost the ball on other occasions.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Delighted with Pogba playing over 70 minutes with no pre-season and looking good throughout the game. Darmian wasn't bad, Shaw a bit shaky defensively but that goal will give him much needed confidence (hearing Jose praising him on the touchline). We still need to figure out our right wing, Mata offers no cover in defense. Sanchez had a last season type of performance, needs to work on the accuracy of his passing.

3 points, after the week we've had it's hard to be anything other than happy with that.

Bailly MOTM.

Minimalist

Controlled win for the most part. Unremarkable play and some bad performances which was disappointing (Sanchez being the obvious example). Expecting that match sharpness was an element today. Shocking miss from Lukaku in the second half and I have no idea what De Gea is doing for their equaliser.

Hoping there's better to come. Take the 3 points and run.

One positive was definitely the Pogba/Andreas/Fred midfield which while not exactly vintage stuff looked really functional.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Decent performance. Midfield and defense looked good for most of the match.

jmaggio

I’d say there were plenty of positives. Pogba showed confidence, Bailly and lindelof solid for the most part, Shaw was much better than expected and the midfield worked well in the second half. Bear in mind we’ve won our opening games 4-0 an 3-1 in the past 2 seasons.

Needham

If it wasn't for the WC that would have been a slick 5 nil.

Zorewa

Nothing seems changed from last season, I can see a long season ahead of ourselves.

redom

Pereira probably the biggest plus of the night, Pogba looked good for his first game back and Shaw put in a shift and got his reward.

Fred looked a bit nervous and too eager at times but also showed a few glimpses of quality so hopefully once he's settled we'll see a good player, Sanchez was stinking up the place and Rashford was invisible.

There's still plenty of work to be done but at least we got the three points.

Touseef

So happy for Shaw...
Sanchez needs to focus on the passing in the final third. Too often missing his man

JonDahl

Exactly the same as the last 2 seasons; we aren't going to play "well" or be more attacking. Just be happy to take the 3 points.

krazyrobus

I love AP in the middle, it suits his abilities, lovely touch, pass and vision at the base of the midfield.

Fred's buzzing around was interesting, also looks to have a good pass on him.

Pogba flitted between being amazing and frustrating. Reminds me of Rio in his younger years where the game was so easy he would just do stupid unnecessarily difficult shit just to entertain himself.

Darmian is awful.

Bailly just picked up where he left off, let's hope he can stay injury free for once.

Sanchez was incredibly wasteful.

And finally Andre Marinner is full of shit, the amount of blatant fouls he did not call.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Pros

We won
Andreas, Fred, Pogba, Bailly, shaw looked great

Cons

Leicester were the better team overall.
Mata, Darmian, Sanchez and rashford were awful and shouldn’t be in this team.

steffyr2

Good game and a win! Great to have the season started.

Didn't expect them to look as organized as they were with so many players coming back so late. Defense did well, but there were a lot of somewhat scary chances for Leicester.

Looked like we had a lot of chances too, timing was off a bit but will get better.

AndyJ1985

Lindelof and Bailly were good, and Shaw was decent. I like Pereira, I guess we can count him as a new signing. Our wide areas are still poor but at least our midfield will be stronger. Overall not a great performance, but enough to start the season with a win which is important.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Not the best game, but I think would ended on a better note had wenot conceded in the end.

Bailly in beast modebar the goal, Pogba with a fone performence, Andreas was great, Fred did fine. Shame Lukaku missed that chance. It's exactly the ones he has to make if he wants to become a super striker.

Happy for Shaw, nice goal and good performence. Hopefully he can put together a injury free season and shine.

Last edited by a moderator:

pjaya

3 important points
Still early season need a few more matches before players can get same understanding

RedB4ndiT

We'll be lucky to get top four.
Then we'll be in the Europa League and win it again.

As for this game, I'm glad we got the win and that Shaw got his first ever goal. Leicester are a weak side so really nothing to get overly happy about. We should beat them and we did and time for the next match.

Chairman Woodie

It wasn't a brilliant performance. But in the circumstances I am happy with the result. The win was more than I expected.

Impressive performance from Pogba.

Devil may care

Same tumescent football as least season, we're like a Volvo with a Ferrari badge stuck on it. Fortunately Leicester only offered minimal threat despite playing some decent football, as we created next to nothing, Pogba and the CB's had decent games.

Kapardin

Vardy always scores against the top 6. Good thing Shaw chose this game to actually play well.

Solid performance. Midfield gives one hope that we can find better cohesion in attack.

Sanchez needs to do a lot, lot more.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 42% of 1017 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 733 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win