PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Fri, 10 August 2018

togg

For the first game of the season, with some players hardly having a pre-season and the negativity that has been pretty much blanket across the general media, I'm pretty pleased and relieved with that. There were some really encouraging signs with a number of the players. I think it will lift team a bit to be honest.

Pennywise

Some dreadful stuff there. Fred however looks like he could be a real asset when he gets used to the pace of the premier league.

Shaw and Andreas two other positives.

Sanchez was absolutely honking as were Rashford and Darmian.

Early days though. 3 points on opening day, onwards and upwards

Ciddy

Pogba coming back having started training only very recently impressed. Maybe the captaincy and responsibility that come with it will do him some good. Still trying a little too hard in the first half when he could have kept it simple but played really well.

I was really impressed with Fred for a first outing. Good low centre of gravity allows him to turn on a sixpence which opens up the midfield. A few sloppy ones again but first game and we won so no problems there.

Very happy for Shaw. First senior goal and no hopefully a run in the team which will be above confidence boost which as we’ve learnt is exactly what he needs.

Bailey & Lindelof is a pairing I’m looking forward to see grow.

NoLogo

Same tumescent football as least season, we're like a Volvo with a Ferrari badge stuck on it. Fortunately Leicester only offered minimal threat despite playing some decent football, as we created next to nothing, Pogba and the CB's had decent games.
Exactly my feelings. We are the second most expensive team in the PL but play just barely better than Leicster and tbh it felt like the only realy difference today was Pogba, without him I don't think you could have told these two teams apart which is depressing. :(

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Lots of positive: Pogba is world class, Pereira and Fred look like good partners for him. Bailly was a beast and Shaw looks ready for the season.

The only major negative for me was how we let them come onto us in the first half - Darmian and Mata looked dodgy covering our right side.

Alexis. Please please let that be a blip. He had some nice touches and passes, and should have got an assist for miss by Lukaku. But what's happened to his pace and power?? I may not have seen him a lot for Arsenal, but I remember him destroying defences. Has he lost some pace?

Smores

Thought there were some good positives. Shaw, Pogba, Pereira, Fred, Bailly and Lindelof at the back. Couple of worldie saves from DDG again. Some people can never see the positives only focus on the negatives.
Think they're upset we won bless them, whipped themself into such a state over last couple of days that they just want to throw things.

Stactix

Pogba, Lindelof, Bailly, Andreas, Fred, Shaw & Degea all did well

Sanchez was royal shyte.
Mata was poor & Darmian was meh.
Right side is going to be a major concern this season.

I really want to see a front 3 of Martial Sanchez Lukaku, With fred, Pogba, Andreas.
that'd be quite deadly.

waser

Personally I thought today's win is great. It has different feeling compare with moyes opener for example, eventhough we scored 4 that day.

I sense much more confidence and solidity in this team. It's gonna be a journey, but I'm ready :).

Very happy for shaw, you could see the relieve from him and jose (not sure if it is about shaw or just scoring after tense period).

Reactions: Sultan

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I really hate that we absorb pressure for long spells but, loved how Shaw looked, Bailly and Lindelof look like a great pairing(wish we played with a higher line) and the midfield 3 looked great.

Cantona's Collar

Samchez had probably the worst performance I've seen from a supposedly top class player since Rooney's performance against Villa in LVG's 2nd season. Darmian was also poor and Mata had a disappointing first half

Apart from that I thought there were a number of positives considering it was the first game of the season. Thought Shaw had a good game, Perreira was class, Bailly and Lindelof were solid, I was impressed by Fred and Pogba was mostly decent. Overall not too bad but there's definitely room for improvement.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really enjoyed that game, all went a bit tits up towards the end but there were some really enjoyable performances in there even though you could tell some of them hadn't played enough football before the game.

GeordieRed

Lots of positives, considering the poor pre-season and fitness/injury issues we’re dealing with.

Excited for what Andreas/Fred bring to the team, and well chuffed for Shaw.

Running out of excuses for Sanchez. And as much as I love Mata, this is one season too many.

Judas

Open to offers
Christ its going to be vile on here this season if this is what some of you lot are like after winning our first game of the season, so much misery and moaning.

waser

Personally I thought today's win is great. It has different feeling compare with moyes opener for example, eventhough we scored 4 that day.

I sense much more confidence and solidity in this team. It's gonna be a journey, but I'm ready :).

Very happy for shaw, you could see the relieve from him and jose (not sure if it is about shaw or just scoring after tense period).

Oh, and perreira should be the first pick from now.

As for new recruit, Fred the red is gonna bomb this season.

Reactions: Raoul

Croftona7

How has nobody yet expressed disgust at how we've just watched us let Leicester boss the possession and dictate the tempo of the whole game, at Old Trafford.

'We got better second half'. We're not bloody Southampton boys!

It's not because it's early days with people missing etc etc, our style of play is dreadful and boring to watch.

We get a few flashes of good play maybe 5 or 6 times in a match.

I'm not usually a pessimist, but I can't shake having a feeling of low expectations for this season and I won't fall into lowering my standards and what I want to see from United to the point where we're saying 'not bad' about the performance we've just watched.

Sorry. I really hope I'm wrong.

ChaddyP

Loving Pereira in that role. Pogba looks world class, mata was fantastic. Rashford did well as did Shaw. Lots of positives from that match and a good start to the season

sp_107

We can only get better from this .

If anyone watch preseason esp against Bayern, today's game is miles better

Martial / Lukaku / Alexis
Pogba / Andres / Fred

Can deliver if they click together !

This coming week will be very important as Jose and players can work together !!

Lebowski

Some very rusty players. I hope that the lack of cohesion is down to lack of match fitness rather than a continuation of last season's insipid football.

Pogba seemed to be on top of the world and was playing with a confidence and swagger you would expect from somebody who has just won the World Cup.

Shaw getting a goal could do his confidence a lot of good. Very mixed performance from him but he's clearly been playing with no confidence at all. If he's to have a future at Old Trafford then playing well in the next few games is absolutely essential.

tonnas

Good match overall
1. fred looks promising
2. shaw looks like he is finally working hard
3. periera is like a new signings
4. Pogba is a beast
5. matic herrera lingard young martial stilll out
6. Rashford, lukaku got some more minute..

we will only get better.

Dyslexic Untied

Pretty happy with that all things considered.

Bailly great. Lindelof good. Shaw very good and so pleased for him.

We were positive when we attacked. Sanchez was extremely hit and miss.

RedDevil-85

Thought we were poor.
Leicester deserved a draw imo but thanks again to De Gea.
Darmian,Sanchez and Rashford were terrible,Lukaku missed a sitter.

Happy for Luke Shaw and i thought Bailly and Lindelof were good,hope they start the next match.

FromTheBench

Still there is bit of lack of cohesiveness in attack. Our biggest problem from last few seasons.

If we are gonna sit back on 1 goal leads need to counter way better.

.Phil1968

Really pleased for Shaw after the shit he's had hope he keeps it up , impressed with Fred . First game of the season so little bit rusty but 3 points the most important thing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pogba coming back having started training only very recently impressed. Maybe the captaincy and responsibility that come with it will do him some good. Still trying a little too hard in the first half when he could have kept it simple but played really well.

I was really impressed with Fred for a first outing. Good low centre of gravity allows him to turn on a sixpence which opens up the midfield. A few sloppy ones again but first game and we won so no problems there.

Very happy for Shaw. First senior goal and no hopefully a run in the team which will be above confidence boost which as we’ve learnt is exactly what he needs.

Bailey & Lindelof is a pairing I’m looking forward to see grow.
He has to leave them alone. They are looking good.

Golden Nugget

Awful first half, a bit better in the second. Bailly was amazing and Lindelof did well too - Shaw made some promising runs - has some amazing touches yet he set his goal up with the worst touch of them all.

Midfield trio were great - pereira was great and added some nice interceptions - I have a feeling that I’m going to love Fred - and Pogba was just brilliant.

Positives stop there as all 4 players in the front 3 were wasteful.

kdmaka

Ddg, we just take it for granted match after match, makes a couple of worldies and it’s a the weekend again. He is the best keeper hands down.

simplyared

Ok, scraped through got the 3 pts. Created very little which is a big concern imv playing at OT against a midtable team. Concerns already about Fred. Playing far too defensive for my liking. He must get forward a lot more. Hope Mourinho hasn't put the shackles on him.

AngliaRed

Pogba deserves huge credit for his performance tonight after no pre season and a huge come down from a world cup win.

He put in a well disciplined performance and played well.

Cheeful and confident during his post match interview. I STAY I STAY!

Cloudface

Nice to see Vardy get his customary "boot the feck out of the United fullback before creating a chance" chance. Perhaps Shaw's arse disrupted the linesman's view.

Fracture90

Good 3 points but that sitting back and inviting pressure instead of pressing when you're one up will never be the right approach imo.

dove

Stop moaning. It was a decent game and 3 points is all that matters, you can't expect some brilliant football first game of the season. Quite a few positives, Fred and Perreira were really good, Pogba looks to continue his France NT form, Bailly and Lindelof were solid (mostly) and even Shaw had a decent game.

RedFish

• It's a win
  • Delighted for Shaw
  • The team should really be a little more fluent than its showing at the moment, but early days.
  • Still smarting from the transfer window.
  • Need Rashford, Martial to develop and quickly.

Judas

Open to offers
Ok, scraped through got the 3 pts. Created very little which is a big concern imv playing at OT against a midtable team. Concerns already about Fred. Playing far too defensive for my liking. He must get forward a lot more. Hope Mourinho hasn't put the shackles on him.
It was his first game in English football. Do you not remember Evra and Vidic's starts in England?

The stick Fred is getting is just mind numbing.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 42% of 1017 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 733 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw