PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2019

Jimmy_Bond

Today I had a chance to watch the much lauded Ndidi (over here).
He works hard and he recovers lot of balls....but his first touch is atrocious.
Just goes to show how statistics can be misleading. Considering his first touch there's no wonder he makes so many tackles and tops such statistical charts.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I watched the game today without taking a look at the forum as I normally would. Have to say enjoyed it much more. The negativity is normally toxic.
That’s true. The Caf definitely changes the way you watch a match. Sometimes it’s good to not pay any attention whatsoever to any of the football threads because there is always someone who knows better than you or has a better opinion. Any positivity shown in a dull match is often laughed or sneered at. As for the match itself, well, I’ve seen us play better and lose so I’ll take that.

dev1l

Just goes to show how statisticscrucial
misleading. Considering his first touch there's no wonder he makes so many tackles and tops such statistical charts.
Statistics are like a bikini; What is revealed is interesting; What is concealed is crucial
:)

cyberman

We have played far better this year and dropped points, now we scored when we should have scored and didn't have DDG throw one in or conceded a screamer at the other end we win.
People pretending today was us all season is just arguing to argue. Hopefully we'll have the control and high pressing coupled with solidity and rely on clean sheets to see us through.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Considering the players we had out we did well to get a win.

kundalini

In the context of missing Pogba and Martial, and taking the lead so early, it was a perfectly decent performance against a well organised Leicester team.

Positives:

- we contained Leicester surprisingly well.

- Rashford's free-kick that hit the post

- Pereira's free-kick that forced Schmeichel into an awkward save

- McTominay's 4 successful dribbles out of 6 attempts

- Fred and Chong seemed to improve us when they came on

- Ashley Young performed reasonably well

Negatives:

- Lindelof's early blunder that allowed Maddison what turned out to be their best chance of the game, saved by De Gea using his foot.

- McTominay getting caught in possession in the first half then giving away a careless foul near the edge of our box in the 2nd

- Poor passes that gifted Leicester possession. Most of the team were guilty at some stage of the match.

- We didn't create much.

- Matic probably our worst performer

always_hoping

Back to base after attending this afternoon's match. After i think 6 games i think that is the first time i have seen Man United side managed by Ole win.

The positives was the win and good solid defending that delivered a deserved clean sheet. The high pressing and energy game was pleasing to view also but for whatever reason that only lasted for about 30 mins

The negatives, starting Mata,Matic both are just too slow and as expected made little or no impact on that win. With those two mainly in the side it allowed a decent Leicester have more of the ball.

For most of the 2nd half United sat far too deep and relying on counter attack. An away day tactic but i suppose when it got the three points today who cares.

Oluwaplumpie

Ugly. Hardly any organisation in attack, just solo run and run and expect tom pass 3 defenders.
I thought this too. Our approach play in attack was dire today. Too many people trying to perform wonders. Rashford not a tracking the penalty area.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We were shit, Leicester were shit. Terrible game all around, thank God their CB made that needless foul otherwise I don't see how we'd have won.
We've had a lot of pens so far this season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
DDG - Good save. Good occasional catching of ball. Sign contract please

Bissaka - It's weird having a competent right back. In a way it's quite boring as usually the right side of our team is like some kind of circus act where as now it just gets on with it.
Lindelof - Better today. Has anyone told him yet that when the ball goes over his head and behind him it doesn't just magically cease to exist?
Maguire - 95% excellent, 5% "oh god why is he trying to do that"
Young - His greatest skill is making it impossible for any ref to book him for time wasting because it's impossible for him to take longer with a throw in that it does when he tries to take one quickly.

Matic - Passed the ball more than any of our other players, apparently. This suggests that not many of our players did much passing.
McTominay - Good combination of composure on the ball and and generally being the most annoying man on earth if you were a Leicester player.
Mata - Did well for 55 minutes. Been subbed off by Jose so often that his body is permanently conditioned not to last any longer.

Pereira - Looks out of place on the right but points for effort. Got a bit more involved in our attacking play today which is encouraging.
James - I love him. Refs seem to like booking him for no reason.
Rashford - Has started diving a lot. Probably been hanging round with Sterling and Kane a bit too much. If he can also pick up their habbits of scoring goals all the fecking time that would be useful (although 3 in 5 isn't bad).

Subs:
Fred - Noticable midfield improvement when he came on due to him being able to pass the ball AND run about, rather than only do one or the other. Although he did stop doing either after about 10 minutes.
Chong - He has great close control but whenever he goes to pass it looks like he's never used his legs before
Tuanzebe - Came on

Media outlets completely making up false stats - After the Southampton game BT Sport claimed this was our worst start since 1993. Then before the game today Martyn Tyler announced it was our worst start in 23 years. By the time the game started this had miraculously jumped to 40 years. It is in actual fact our worst start in 5 years, which is so amazingly undramatic that there is no point even mentioning it. Why do the media just completely make up stats like this instead though? The weirdest thing is how they've all completely made up the SAME stat yet can't even agree what the actual made up stat is. I mean if you're going to do this, make up more interesting stuff. For example they could claim that Vardy used to pilot spitfires in WWII, then halfway through the game change it to WWI and claim he invented the machine gun. If you're going to just make things up completely nothing is off limits.

Djemba-Djemba

Considering we aren't filled with top quality anyway, to be without 3 first teamers in Shaw, Pogba and Martial I think today was a very good win.

tonnas

The performance was not that bad, We had 3 very important players missing and we started with pereira and mata....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The performance was not that bad, We had 3 very important players missing and we started with pereira and mata....
It's hilarious people are bucketing Mata as though he's useless. He was one of our better players today and was one of our few good players versus Wolves.

chb23

Imagine paying $80m for Maddison on the back of that game. We would be mugs. $50M tops and that's inflated with the English tax

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
How does Leicester dominate possession and look so dangerous against us when we are at home?
Leicester came to this match set up to hit us on the counter.

One of the best things you can do to nullify that threat is to not attack. We let them have more of the ball and they couldn't do anything with it because they weren't set up to do so.

Given the players who were out with injuries this wasn't a bad idea and we got the result. Sometimes you have to win this way, even at home. A result like this will help the players close out matches in the future.

Al-T

Happy with the result and that we actually managed to score a penalty.

Other than that it's utterly uninspiring.

tony54

I agree with many ithers about Mctom becoming a main stay of the team. He is quite a character and gives his all every match. It's really good watching him develop and I hope he can be injury free.

Bondi77

Good result but that was a hard watch.
High point is that the defence was solid against a good attacking team but that alone is not going to make us challenge for a top four spot.
I thought it was a dubious decision on the penalty as well and apart from the Andreas effort and the Rashford freekick we never threatened their goal at all.

Bulldog United

What a crazy day that was.

Liverpool behind early giving us hope, only to watch the inevitable unfold and see them recover to win comfortably in the end. Norwich 33/1 no-hopers beating City against all reasoned opinion. Laporte's absence into the new year will be very worrying for them now.

Us toughing out a very difficult 1-0 win against Leicester with a couple of our best players missing. The pre-match thread wasn't exactly flooded with optimistic comments from our fans, so I think we should all be thankful for small mercies and enjoy the three points we very much needed.

Yes it wasn't pretty today, but honestly who thought it would be with that team? I'm delighted that our players found a way to win ugly. I hope this is the result we needed to kick our season into gear, and it gives everyone a boost in confidence within the squad. Onwards and upwards.

Reactions: SteveJ

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Manchester United did with this performance. I get up every damn morning (I live in United States) to watch this team and support them. I don't expect titles, it's ok to be second/third. I expect fight, performance that looks like I am supporting a team, not bunch of discombobulated individuals. Is that too much to ask for? I might be a bad fan, and should just support this team no matter what. I mean off course I will continue to support them, but man I want to see a fight. I want to see desire, grit, I want to see a damn team out there trying to represent the colors of Manchester United. We have two legends as our coaches, we have decent group of players to give us performance much better than this.
Anyone else read this in an American accent in their head? :lol:

Denis79

I’m glad we won but there is nothing to show me that we’ll challenge for 1/2 and I think we’re stil off top 4. There just isn’t real quality anywhere.
Top 2 we're really far off I agree but top 4 is possible, Leicester are a team in form and we did well considering our injuries. It wasn't pretty but we did get the 3 points without too much drama and suspense.

cyril C

Considering we aren't filled with top quality anyway, to be without 3 first teamers in Shaw, Pogba and Martial I think today was a very good win.
The disappointment wasn't about quality on finishing, it was about poor in final 3rd since the 2nd game - there were none. Leicester had better little angle pass than ours, we only had solo run trying to take on 3 defenders. It was tactics, not players.

littleman

We aren't much better than the end of last season or early this season. It feels like there's not much more Ole can get out of this team; it looks like he's just not that good. Lots of our players are also poor.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For all the excuses that team was bad and filled with squad players, you could replace all of them with the "first teamers" and there's no guarantee They wouldn't play worse.

That's depressing.

meamth

So after a 1-0 win against a top-4 rival team, a win in which we were missing a number of key players, you now find yourself past the point of no return? Odd...
I think that he is being sarcastic.

RedCurry

We play the type of football Mourinho dreams of. We are tactically solid but have no ideas going forward.

Foxbatt

We got 3 points but forget about players missing. We would have played as much as yesterday even if those three players were playing.
We just don't know how to play football. There is no flow. When Scott goes on a press no one covers the space he has vacated.
Really Mata should not be playing at all.

gajender

So after a 1-0 win against a top-4 rival team, a win in which we were missing a number of key players, you now find yourself past the point of no return? Odd...
Am I missing something because there is a strange overrating of teams like Leicester,Wolves and probably Everton they aren't challenging for top 4 they have some decent players but that's about it we may be dire but if we finish below any of these teams Solskjaer has no right to continue as United's manager.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 438 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester
  • 16% Man Utd 1:2 Leicester