PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2019

Sir Scott McToMinay

Not sure what people were expecting with the team today considering the injuries to key players.
There was literally nothing between both sides quality wise, and the home team got a narrow win.
This is football, it was a good and hard fought win.

Tarrou

If only our academy lad is better at teamwork regarding set-plays and attacking pattern, instead of those brawling. Those may look cool but never as cool as a goal. I'd rather our youngsters playing football better instead of playing tough guys but with no end-product.
How about the goal Rashford scored that won us the game?

jem

I think you are being unfair on Andreas. He was much better than Lingard and Mata were so far this season. I thought he did well.
We must have been watching different matches - I thought he was abysmal (except for that early free kick, something he does seem quite good at.)

Lee565

Good result, it may seem harsh to be down on the actual performance but when you look at what Lampard is doing with Chelsea using a load of youngsters and playing really good football, why cant Solskjear do the same considering he's been at the club longer and goes on and on about the United way, even getting rid of players that supposedly weren't going to fit this United way?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Every game looks like a reminder of truly underwhelming transfer window, but I take that result with a closed eyes.

That being said surviving with one goal lead every game won't fly and Ole's got a real problem.

lysglimt

Scout
We have been poor going forward every game but the Chelsea game.
Yes but football is about defending and attacking. And realistically - the better we get defensively, the better we will get going forward. But when playing against a team like Leicester - you can't take too big chances. And with Lingard out of form, Pogba and Martial injured...well...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not sure what people were expecting with the team today considering the injuries to key players.
There was literally nothing between both sides quality wise, and the home team got a narrow win.
This is football, it was a good and hard fought win.
So right. A win is a win. And wins increase confidence. Leicester city are a pretty good side remember.

DevilRed

The important thing is we continue to improve. Turn possession into chances and keep clean sheets and not concede poor goals when under a little bit of pressure.

Hope we get more of the lads back healthy again. We can't afford to miss our best players.

I also wish we would use Gomes and Greenwood over the likes of Mata, Lingard and Perreira. Maybe if they perform well in the cups they will get their chances.

jem

I am definitely going to stop watching Manchester United. Wtf. This is terrible, terrible. Why do we suck so much? I mean this is outrageous how pathetic we were over last 4 weeks. Build the team from ground up. Get rid of all the players, all the coaches, get relegated and let's start fresh. This is just unbearable. I am not seeing any silver lining. I am actually smelling a disaster of a season.
How does Leicester dominate possession and look so dangerous against us when we are at home? I think this team actually will not get to spring in Europe League unless something drastically changes.
So after a 1-0 win against a top-4 rival team, a win in which we were missing a number of key players, you now find yourself past the point of no return? Odd...

Snuffkin

We did ok today. Tactics were right. We lacked some attacking from the wings but we deserved the win. One step at a time.

OohAahMartial

Amazing how many posters don't understand context when making their comparisons. Taking this game as a barometer to compare with LVG or Jose's time, is just bonkers.

We are in an injury crisis with our only creative midfielder and our #9 out yet people complain about our attack. It's a traditional banana-skin post-International game, yet people complain about the coaching--there was just one training session. Game plan worked to nullify an in form Leicester that many fans thought would beat us.

We have often been slow starters to a season, and it's unsurprising that this season we have been too, considering how last season ended. 3 points and clean sheets build confidence. We got that clean sheet by Ole strengthening from the back first with Maguire and AWB, two class signings, and putting his faith in De Gea and trying to restore his confidence and form.

I want him to play youth as much or more than any of you, but there is a process with young players, and now Butt is in charge of that process too. They are getting cameos to help them adjust, and to be fair, none have shown in their cameos anything to suggest that they absolutely must be played, nothing like Rashford scoring on every debut he made. The plan has been stated all along, that they will get their chances when we get 2-3 games a week from here on in, in the Cup games against lesser opposition to see how they fare against adults. It's one thing to perform well in the U23's 2nd division, but that is a whole different level to the Premier League.

And we have squad players who haven't been even getting in the squad, let alone the 1st team, and they get restless and unhappy, and start moaning in the media and probably the dressing room too, like Matic. So they are bound to be ahead of the youngsters. There will be enough games for them all to get chances, and if the young lads take those chances convincingly then players like Mata and Matic will have to make do with squad player status or be allowed to leave to find 1st team football. McTominay has already shown that a young player can bench a senior pro like Matic. Matic can hardly complain when looking at their relative performances today, but even then context counts as any player needs minutes, needs games, to get to match sharpness, and that gets harder as they get older. Matic is probably in the Rooney stage where they are stuck in disbelief at their own decay.

Fred finally got some minutes, after no pre-season, and we can presumably see him being eased into the side, and today he took his chance well I thought, could be great timing to have him coming into fitness just when we need him.

Rashford was living off scraps, but still converted a penalty (finally!!) and hit a super free kick that was dead unlucky to not give us a comfortable 2-0. James still looked bright, though Ole retains his record.

Mata and Pereira we know aren't truly good enough for the 1st team, and the club clearly know that too as they tried to get Dybala and Eriksen, and Costa, but we are stuck with what we have. Lingard seems to be 1st choice at #10 but was ill, but there is very little difference really between Lingard, Mata and Pereira, they are all just squad quality, except the latter two have a bit more goal potential, especially from set-pieces, whereas Lingard is better for our counter-attack and pressing. Gomes probably will steal their place, but only when he has proven himself against adults in the Cups 1st, which considering his size is not an unreasonable thing to do.

I was a little surprised to see Chong play on the left and James to switch to the right, as Chong has played more on the right over the last few seasons (albeit not so much recently). Looked lively, but still yet to give a performance that can't be denied a start.

Most importantly, we get 3 points, go 4th (not really such a bad start as everything is relative), kept a clean sheet, won a 6 pointer with our rivals, and build confidence.

DSG

I think you are being unfair on Andreas. He was much better than Lingard and Mata were so far this season. I thought he did well.
We’ve seen a lot of Andreas. He doesn’t have great pace. His movement is mediocre. He’s not super physical. His passing is average. He’s not great in 1v1 situations. His shooting is decent, but not exceptional. He isn’t great at keeping possession.

I doubt he starts for almost any other team in the PL. He is a back end squad player at best.

I agree that out of the shit sandwich of Mata, Lingard and Andreas, he MAY be the best. Lingard has certainly had more moments for us, Mata was very good for us but can’t really play in the PL anymore. Should be in Italy.

Given what Ole has to work with, I don’t blame him for playing Andreas, but we won’t sniff top 4 if he plays regularly.

Red_Orchestra

At least we're not sucking as much as City is right now, down 3-1 to Norwich, horrific display at City's defense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Every game looks like a reminder of truly underwhelming transfer window, but I take that result with a closed eyes.

That being said surviving with one goal lead every game won't fly and Ole's got a real problem.
We certainly don't look like we'll be scoring many goals.
That Chelsea game was a real oddity!

Charlie Foley

Team with Young, Andreas, Matic, Lingard and Mata and we beat a genuine top 6 contender...hardly sparkling but I will take that given how the season’s been

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are you saying my post unreasonable after sh1ting my pants until last minute against Leicester at home? No disrespect to Leicester but it freaking felt like watching better team losing and trying to get an equalizer.
They didn't come anywhere near scoring.

If you think that was a worrying watch, I probably would not bother for some of the tougher games!

Bobski

Awful game but a good win. Our defensive structure is better this year, makes it harder for teams to actually get at us, though having Matic back in the team along with Mata allowed more easy possession than you would like. AWB a massive improvement at RB given how good he is defensively. Leicester were very poor given the praise they have been receiving, plenty of the ball but little threat, Maddison showed some lovely touches in areas with little danger but never threatened to find a hurtful pass. Lindelof had his best game of the season after that terrible mistake, sliding doors moment for his season perhaps, if they score then and go on to win he is out of the team.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Badly needed win. All that matters today. Hopefully Pogba n Martial will be back for next week and Fred maybe starts too.

Very happy with the three points. Wasn't pretty and Leicester seemed more settled as a team.

I really liked the vigor we saw with Chong and James once Chong was introduced. I'd like to see more of that. Think Fred had a pretty good cameo as well.

dev1l

Team with Young, Andreas, Matic, Lingard and Mata and we beat a genuine top 6 contender...hardly sparkling but I will take that given how the season’s been
Young had a very good game today. I think he was one of the best players on pitch.
I know that this does not sound popular but I say it how it is

fps

A good result without Pogba. We don't seem to lack much when he doesn't play (we're mediocre either way). I reckon get him out and get another real engine in there and a RW.

ArjenIsM3

A good result without Pogba. We don't seem to lack much when he doesn't play (we're mediocre either way). I reckon get him out and get another real engine in there and a RW.
To be honest he would have been a big upgrade on Mata. He just needs to be the most advanced midfielder on the pitch. Fred/Matic and McTominay behind him.

Snuffkin

We would have sold him if we had received an offer for him in the summer.

fps

To be honest he would have been a big upgrade on Mata. He just needs to be the most advanced midfielder on the pitch. Fred/Matic and McTominay behind him.
Oh god yeah, a much better option at this stage. His lack of dynamism, however, means he isn't right for the kind of team United needs to build, as a centre mid. It's like with Lukaku, how assumptions were made that he could become Drogba. Pogba doesn't actually have the kind of engine people assume he has, so I would prefer midfielders in the Liverpool mould with a little extra panache on top. Pogba's all panache. I'd have loved him to have a run of games as a number 10, it looks like it's never going to be now....

fps

We would have sold him if we had received an offer for him in the summer.
Yes, although I'm quite relieved we didn't purely because I don't think a high quality well scouted replacement was lined up. Presumably there is now a big file out there marked "Pogba replacement" with lots of players in there with various qualities, not qualities to replace Pogba, but qualities the team needs. "Leader" needs to be in there, underlined, Maguire has made such a difference and there need to be more like him.

pascell

We've already become a cropper in 2 of our 5 games this season when leading 1-0. Today we just didn't create enough clear cut chances, again this has been a problem the last few games.

We shouldn't be fading in games so badly as we did today this early in the season, something isn't quite right there.

fps

We've already become a cropper in 2 of our 5 games this season when leading 1-0. Today we just didn't create enough clear cut chances, again this has been a problem the last few games.

We shouldn't be fading in games so badly as we did today this early in the season, something isn't quite right there.
Agree something isn't right there, but fading in games has been an issue for several seasons now. I hope at least with this improved defence that the team can now truly shut up shop. Some of the players who are still in there don't have the character to boss a game, and the midfield continues to be unable to knit a game together and control tempo. A tempo setter with an engine is clearly missing - it's what Matic was recruited for, but to be honest I've never thought of him as that player.

RedAlert27

Given the amount of pessimism by fans going into the match, can't complain with a win. Maguire and Wan-bissaka were very solid today and probably the difference between a win and a draw/loss. Feels good to have a decent defence!

Still a lot of work to do attacking wise obviously but to get a 1-0 win with this team against a solid Leicester side isn't bad going.

Tony247

Had we not won that penalty this would have been a disaster. Not creating chances from open play is not sustainable in long term.

But we won today. 3 points. Lets move on.

fps

Had we not won that penalty this would have been a disaster. Not creating chances from open play is not sustainable in long term.

But we won today. 3 points. Lets move on.
This 100%

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
We're in an injury crisis?

We're missing Shaw, Pogba and Martial.
Maybe we just have no depth and shows we invested terribly this summer....

Injury crisis :lol:

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
We are crying out for a midfielder who can dictate the play/tempo! Mcsauce is alright has a lot of effort but again lacks quality. Play the youth oli if you don’t you’ll be sacked

AndyMUFC

It was a much needed win. Not the prettiest but a bit too negative a reaction from some for me.

Considering the very average looking team we had out and the fact we were leading for most of the game, we did well and stopped them from being a threat.

There was no point playing to their strengths and letting them counter. Vardy for example was virtually anonymous. I don’t want us to play like that all the time but it’s all about context.

The back four were very solid and McTominay goes from strength to strength too.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We're in an injury crisis?

We're missing Shaw, Pogba and Martial.
Maybe we just have no depth and shows we invested terribly this summer....

Injury crisis :lol:
Indeed. People really cannot stop making excuses for this club's piss-poor management.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 438 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester
  • 16% Man Utd 1:2 Leicester