PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2020

Greck

Tends to be the opposite - we barely ever seem to come back once we're a goal down. I'm amazed we did it twice.
It's just normally that once we go ahead, we stay ahead.

On the back of that game, looks like neither of our teams are going to be challenging Liverpool. I will say that United edged that, based on the chances created, but you just let us have the ball for long periods. I thought you'd press with much more intensity - Liverpool have proved that if you do that, we absolutely wilt under the pressure. You showed us a bit too much respect; all our play goes through Tielemans, but in the first half especially, he had all the time and space in the world.

I can see you finishing second, which'd be a good season for you, but I think you're still leagues away from Liverpool (who absolutely battered us so much that it was embarrassing).
Then maybe it's us. We tend to start dropping results once we have a whiff of our ultimate target. In a way not surprised our first points dropped came once we broke into top 4. From there every match starts to have increased odds of bottling

Best Foot Forward

Supports
United
This is the type of game that made SAF go and buy a top striker to make us go on top.

We buy Haaland or someone clinical and reliable in the summer and we're contenders.
I think Cavani is still one of the best out and out strikers in Europe. Obviously, a short term thing but he shows the danger that a natural goal scorer poses. How/why we didn't get Haaland I'll never know.

giggslover

Thats a tough team to play against, I was doing my ratings and gave most of the players 7s. Realize Bruno got goal and assist, and I'm not one of Fred's biggest supporters, but he did not put a foot wrong all game!!! Could easily get MOTM for me.

On the other hand, I am a Pogba supporter, and I like him tons when he's in their half, but my god man, when he has to play defense he becomes infante terrible at times. Usually you can get may be 15-25% effort to play defense, but today I think was -20%.

Yet overall he was still better than D. James today. See another long stint on the bench for Danny Boy...

Tapori

Yeah I mean there was only Vardy there.

He could have easily been blocked off.
Aye. Fast paced I know, but they all have collective brain freezes in crucial moments.

It wasn't even elite level. Byline drag back 1 attacker, fine you have a player blocking the first passing lane, the rest have to get to that attacker

r0663664

Worships Man City
I am Ole out camp but have recently decided to not voice any opinion as we are doing well in the table. Why on earth is James and Lindeloft be pair off on the right? James is ineffective as everyone would expect and VL as right back again a pacy Barnes. I think Ole is asking for it. Why is Barnes given time and space to shoot, I can never understand. Nobody is the red shirt decided not to put any pressure to him allowing him a shot a goal, that shouldn't have happen. Lastly, what has Martial done to ever deserve the no. 9 shirts. He is not our main striker, please stop dreaming that he will ever be one. He doesn't press well, sulk when he loses the ball and doesn't chase back. Within 1 min of Cavani appearance, he press and won the ball at the byline and almost help create a goal scoring opportunity. A 33 year old striker who is willing to press versus Martial is the physically at his prime. Yes, we could have won but we draw due to Ole's decision on the field. I actually thought Ole should have sub Bruno for a more defensive players since he was on a yellow, maybe that would have won us the game. Overall, disappointing result.

Giggsyking

Blaming Ole for that result is laughable.
I blame him for letting Leicester control the ball and we playing only on the counter. Embarrassing to play on the counter against every team in the league.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
As annoying as it is to concede late when we just needed to wrap it up, a point is not a bad result to be honest considering where both teams are at and keeps our unbeaten run away from home going.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If it wasn't for the presence of Liverpool, this would have been a totally acceptable result. But annoyingly, Liverpool would stroll a game like this. In part because Rodgers perpetually shites the bed against them, partly because Liverpool are incredible against the top teams.

Very annoying to have thrown it away at the end.

markhughes

I wasn’t happy with the starting line up to be honest, James in and Cavani out is a huge downgrade. Overall I am happy enough with the point as it’s a tough place to go and keeps us in the mix.

Danillaco

3 points today but for Rashford. Awful display
Rashford should've been off instead of Martial. Tony can create chances with one touch, Marcus is having a bad time finishing a lot of them.

It's frustrating to tie this game. United was average and still the clear better team in the pitch.

Giggsyking

I am Ole out camp but have recently decided to not voice any opinion as we are doing well in the table. Why on earth is James and Lindeloft be pair off on the right? James is ineffective as everyone would expect and VL as right back again a pacy Barnes. I think Ole is asking for it. Why is Barnes given time and space to shoot, I can never understand. Nobody is the red shirt decided not to put any pressure to him allowing him a shot a goal, that shouldn't have happen. Lastly, what has Martial done to ever deserve the no. 9 shirts. He is not our main striker, please stop dreaming that he will ever be one. He doesn't press well, sulk when he loses the ball and doesn't chase back. Within 1 min of Cavani appearance, he press and won the ball at the byline and almost help create a goal scoring opportunity. A 33 year old striker who is willing to press versus Martial is the physically at his prime. Yes, we could have won but we draw due to Ole's decision on the field. I actually thought Ole should have sub Bruno for a more defensive players since he was on a yellow, maybe that would have won us the game. Overall, disappointing result.
Because he was not interested in being proactive, he just wanted to counter, small team mentality.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We did miss some big chances today but we shouldn't have to score 3 or more goals to win a game. The defence is an utter joke.

We've scored 2 or more goals in every single away game this season yet conceded in every single one too.

Tapori

Agree, until we're able to have more control on matches we'll struggle as our defence isn't good enough to keep inviting the pressure on to it that we allow. We might win but I think too many matches will become a battle which can't be good over a season and also I think means we'll slip up more often which means a genuine title challenge will be hard.

It's a frustrating one, clearly had the chances to win the game and on one hand you can blame players for not taking their chances but on the other I do think that Ole didn't get it right and I'm still not convinced that he's someone who is able to get enough out of the squad. He's not bad but just not convinced yet he's adding something that really elevates us as a team.
His issue is the defence.
He has to invariably play to protect Maguire but Magure has to organise better and step up as Captain and I feel for the lad, because at top moments he gets out-foxed.

You need an intelligent CB to organise, and if that includes maguire fine, but Maguire time and again shows he doesn't have the elite acumen to do this vital role.

I wouldn’t say that was down to Mctominay or fred, that the least of our problems and they work well.

This team with 2 signings, CB and striker such as Kane and VVD would be genuine challengers
Tbh I don’t like us having to play McFred to do a job that can be done done by 1 player. A new striker is needed since yesterday, I think we will get one in the summer along with a CB.

Withnail

What planet are you on?

Subbing off Bruno for a defensive player would not have won us the game :lol:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We just don't get enough goals from our corners. Maguire missed a sitter which was as bad as Rashford's in my opinion. And he's very consistent with how he's terrible at heading goals in.

manunited1919

Special shout on Beglin
Rashford wasn't playing; that tug was on his shoulder injury
That looked intentional and if so it is a shameful tactic, but refs can’t give a yellow or red based on the tug.
If anything, Ole will be forced to allow Rashford to recover from his injury, lest other defenders watch this and start tugging him in each game.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

In the post game interview Ole seems content with the draw. If it was SAF he would be fuming mad. Teapots and boots would be flying in the dressing room.

Greck

People will talk about the finishing but that isn't the big issue from this game for me... Its not being anywhere near consistent over 90 minutes yet again. We play in fits and starts and go from looking good to being poor within a matter of minutes.
Our possession retention is so random. Never sustained. No one dominates an entire game but we are often just trading spells of possession with whoever we play which is normal but not against vastly inferior setups. Sometimes our opponents are so bad with the ball they should never be able to push us into our half

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We just don't get enough goals from our corners. Maguire missed a sitter which was as bad as Rashford's in my opinion. And he's very consistent with how he's terrible at heading goals in.
As bad as Rashford is just pure and utter nonsense and you know it.

lex talionis

People will talk about the finishing but that isn't the big issue from this game for me... Its not being anywhere near consistent over 90 minutes yet again. We play in fits and starts and go from looking good to being poor within a matter of minutes.
100% the opposite. Let’s forget glorious Rashford chance/Schmeichel save. Rashford absolutely should have scored on the free header.

There was no reasonable expectation that we’d dominate Leicester for 90 minutes. We exchanged runs of play but allowed them only two chances on goal, the second being on calamitous defending no doubt, and they scored on both.

We can dream of keeping clean sheets against top six clubs but that’s a huge ask. But we have to expect our forwards to convert on glorious chances. Not all chances, but certainly on the glorious chances. Neither of Leicester’s two goals were scored on glorious chances. That’s the story of this match.

Danillaco

BT replaying Schmeichel's save from Rashford with the sound from the impact on his glove, and to be fair it was a strong hand to keep it out.
But as an elite striker he doesn't need to smash it by the keeper's side. The corner was very open for him to slot the ball

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's a shame Ole didn't change the rules and make a 4th sub. What a terrible manager!!

SER19

In the post game interview Ole seems content with the draw. If it was SAF he would be fuming mad. Teapots and boots would be flying in the dressing room.
How do you there wasn't? This entire post is just speculating on your own biases

Holocene

You don't know what he's saying to the players in the dressing room. I think the Ole we see with the cameras is very different to the Ole behind the scenes.

Castia

When Matic plays we play with him alone at CDM he can do the job but when we play McTominay or Fred we have to play them both, it's 2 players do a 1 man job because they aren't good enough to shield the defence alone.

Van De Beek, Pogba, Greenwood and Cavani cant get into this side whilst the likes of Dan James is starting? shambles

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Exactly. He is appalling at finishing with his head. Consistently balloons them over the bar.

manunited1919

I really don't understand the pairing of Fred and McTominay. They don't bring anything creative or adventurous.
McT didn’t go on any forward runs today, like he did against Leeds. If it worked so well there, why not give him some liberty to go forward on this game too?

United58

I fancy Leicester challenging Liverpool (more than us).
I think we might see them fade slightly as the season progresses due to burnout like last year (plus Vardy's almost 34, can he keep this brilliance up?) - they also have Europa to contend with

McT didn’t go on any forward runs today, like he did against Leeds. If it worked so well there, why not give him some liberty to go forward on this game too?
Ole's quite conservative in the bigger games, I'd love to throw caution to the wind a bit more - we certainly have the attackers to do it

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Stopped reading after the first sentence. It’s like Liverpool fans, who you only see when they are winning.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Tbh I don’t like us having to play McFred to do a job that can be done done by 1 player. A new striker is needed since yesterday, I think we will get one in the summer along with a CB.
I disagree, and think there’s a lot more to it than that

manutdrphenomenal

Wasting chances in big games.
Not playing your best team in such game.
Compromising on quality by doing silly tactics. James and lindelof.
why not shutdown and defend fully for last 5-10 minutes.
after 2-2 Leicester had all men behind ball and only vardy up.
solksjaer needs to behave like a manager of manutd and not play silly games.
i sense he is trying hard to achieve the minimum to keep people happy. I.e if it sacrifices a genuine title challenge so be it as long we can pretend we are nearby. Try scrape to a trophy. But even arsenal won one last year. We won some with Mourinho as well. We need is a genuine league title challenging team first. Then champions league challenge. Not get in to top 4 and scrape a trophy.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Probably something to do with tactics I should imagine, even though some fans think Ole doesn’t know any and just says go and play

The One and Only

There's no way we can win consistently if we can't keep clean sheets. We create enough chances to win games but the defense lets us down time and again

Ole needs to sort it out quickly

Cliche Guevara

Then maybe you should think more?
I have thought enough: we are a better side, we were the better team, we had more than enough chances to win, we gave away two sloppy goals one being a late equaliser once again.

Completely unnecessary for us not to have won that game, and three points now would really have given our momentum a boost and piled the pressure on Liverpool. A draw doesn’t do much for us.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 66% of 272 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw