PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 September 2022

Flying_Heckfish

Really good result.

First half some great moves, lots of 1/2 touch passing with confidence.

Second half we dropped off.

Defending was great throughout, Varane and Lisandro look a great pairing.

Ronaldo made a mockery of Rashford's movement, it was night and day... Rashford just isn't suited to the role EtH wants. Shame we have to rely on Martial. Ronnie's overall game wasn't great, though, lots of poor touches, he should get better with gametime but it's the right decision to bench him. We will go big in the market next season for a striker.

Will Antony start v Arsenal? I think he has to... Elanga scared Leicester a bit with his pace, but he doesn't have much else.

McT looked OK this game, well most of it... That shirt pull/wrestle almost cost us. Casemiro could replace him or Eriksen next game, he needs to start, but not sure how EtH will fit him in.

Jaykespeare88

Real powerhouse performance from Varane, didnt come across as a continental defender. Partnership with Licha seems to be really coming together. Thought Scott did really well, tailed off when ssked to pushed up a bit more. Casemiro showed he can both break up the play and get the ball forward really quickly, that spell between 60-70min really showed what Scott doesnt do well, demand the ball and take the sting out of the game. Elanga was bright, Rashy so so.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Only saw the second half. Thought we were aimless but pretty solid at the back. Thought we played without a #9 until Ronnie came on. Ended the match with all 5 midfielders (sorry Donny).

Clean sheet is nice and three points, forgettable performance.

Roosney

Played really sloppy, especially the attacking play was awful but a win is a win, happy with that. Third win in a row!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's 3 points. Not a great performance but strong defensively. Rashford is not a #9. Ronaldo did more in 22 minutes than Rashford did all game (other than one moment obviously).

Blood Mage

Varane the best player on the pitch and Rashford the worst player on the pitch for the second game in a row.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Good result, awful performance. Found myself saying that a lot during Ole’s tenure.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
With all the counters we had in the second half we should have put another two past them.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You can see how we are getting there. But our fitness looks very low at this moment. Don't know why

SER19

Varane and Martinez are transforming how we play, and that's before casemiro is a regular starter. Enough encouragement there, and Ronaldo simply has to start if other option is rashford

bosniamanutd

Sancho ronaldo antony
Bruno casemiro eriksen
Malacia varane martinez dalot

opponents craps in pants

Abhinav

Good first half, worrisome 2nd half. Our front players (barring Bruno) looked tired in the 2nd half. Really needed the energy to push them back and relieve the pressure on the midfield and defence. Rashford is struggling and Sancho tailed off. Hopefully Antony hits the ground running and Martial gets fit again. Looking light upftont.

RetroStu

Solid first half, terrible second half.
Elanga and Rashford shouldnt be anywhere near this team.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Very similar performance to Soton, built on a solid defence.

Having said that, McTominay actually did well (for his abilities) and Casemiro seems like he might need a bit of time to get up to speed. Bruno was also his wasteful self and just doesn't allow us to control the ball and take a bit of a breather.

The attack let us down again, with Rashford jogging as if he's out shopping with his girl and crying every time things didn't go his way. Elanga was similarly atrocious but that's just because he's just not got much in his locker (even less than Rashford and that's saying something). Antony needs to start, no appearances as a sub.

Finally, ten Hag needs to be better with his squad rotation because we'll be gassed soon enough with the way games are scheduled this year. Fred and Donnie need to take a more active part in this team.

tomaldinho1

Kind of game we’d usually drop points in. Great first half, bit of a nothing second half. Defence is looking very settled which is nice to see and Bruno was really good.

Dalot’s celebration after getting the goal kick was awesome.

nickm

Very, very happy to see my team winning games again and defending leads.
Still players to integrate and stuff to improve but always easier to do it when you are winning.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Solid result we can build on. I’m not surprised the clinical attack isn’t there yet. It will take time but the first half was very good.

Resonance

Cliche tale of two halves but we got 3 points.

As much as I like Rashford, he’s just not cut out to be a striker.

tjb

Quite pleased with last couple of performances. We were so easy to play against at times last season, gifting chances left, right and centre. Grinding out wins, with a stingy defence is a great foundation to build on. Lots of very good performances. Ten Hag has steadied the ship in a pretty impressive manner.
Bruno got my motm, very sharp today, lots of interceptions, good positioning, good passing.
This is what people tend not to see when he's not scoring or assisting. He's a workhorse. The reason I never take issue with his passes that are risky is that there is always a good idea behind it. It's not nearly as reckless as it can sometimes come across.

There is a sharp decline when Eriksen moves into the no.10 position from what I've seen so far. People won't want to admit it, but Eriksen lack of pace and aggression really shows itself when Bruno moves out wide. Both performed well today and it's clear as day that Eriksen will be our starting no.8 this season.

CloneMC16

Pretty awful performance. We give the ball away too easily, and without Martial, we don't have a striker that can hold the ball up. With him on the pitch, we win this game comfortably. Rashford is not a #9. He ruined so many attacks.

Defence looked pretty good again, though. They're playing well enough to allow us to hold out for these 1-0 wins.

ForeverRed1

Another win and another clean sheet, need to find our scoring boots though because these tight wins aren’t sustainable.

Banat

Good first half, disappointed with second.
Varane motm, MCT close second.
Casemiro not so good cameo

Chairman Steve

It’s three valuable points as the players are looking to get used to each other. I have a feeling these wins will be very valuable later on in the season. If this was at the other end of the season and we’re in a title race or race for Champions Leaguen places, we’d be praised for professionally grinding out wins. 3 wins in a row with only one goal conceded in them is good going.

Last season, Leicester away, Soton away and Liverpool home yielded one point, shipping 10 goals and scoring only 2… and two of those games were humiliating defeats.

RedorDead21

You can see how we are getting there. But our fitness looks very low at this moment. Don't know why
Leaving too much out there at the training pitch prob until he can improve their levels. Hard training sessions prob to blame.

Dannn411

Defence is looking increasingly better and better. Varane is looking like old Varane again. Absolutely excellent three matches in a row. Martinez is looking good too.

But we need to keep the ball so much better. We give the ball away too much and far too easily. That, more than anything is what puts us under constant pressure. Ten Hag needs to enforce it. Keep the ball and try to play - within reason.

Gaidal

3 points is always great.

But we still have the same problems, cant kill a game off and then we invite pressure by being
1. careless in possession
2. De Gea just punting it long
3. No CF that can hold up the ball
4. Not enough stamina to keep up the press

lysglimt

Scout
Not great - but the effort, the will to win was really good - and thats why we won the game :)

Varane best, McTominay number 2

Pronewbie

Peep
Most generous odds for a high probability United win I’ve seen in awhile. Not because we’re good, but because Leicester are awful. The match played out exactly that way.

BeltUp

Supports
United
I'm very happy we have become dull to watch - it's a huge leap forwards compared to being abjectly shite!

lex talionis

Early days of course, but we're now somehow in fifth place. It's easy enough to see Brighton falling off and Liverpool worming back into the top four, but if we can keep grinding out ugly but effective results while we settle Casemiro and Antony into the fold, we may be able to put together a serious top four challenge this season.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Its a cliche, but summed up it was definitely a game of 2 halves.

Thought we looked bright first half and let down by a lack of quality from Elanga and Rashford. Antony will be a huge upgrade and when Martial is fit I think we'll be a different side.

Defensively we look solid, Varane was incredible tonight, no idea how he didn't get Motm over Eriksen

komershanto

Great game. We seemed to lose the ball starting the 2nd half but regained possession and had some good chances. No problem for me to win away games like this because they didn't have 1 clear chance all game
Too many losing balls and inaccurate passes
make me mad as a fan

M Bison

Supports
York City
Relieved we got the 3 points but bloody hell we were poor at times. We gave the ball away far too easily in the second half and gave away way too many free kicks.

Be tough against Arsenal, we’ll need to be better in that game if we want to get anything out of it.

largelyworried

Overall, not a bad game. First half I thought we were excellent. Second half you'd expect them to come out and have a go, but we didn't calm them down as quickly as we should have done. You have to accept they might be in the ascendency for maybe 10 mins, but then you find a way to wrestle control back from them. In the end we didnt really get back on top until the last 15 minutes. However the end of the game was actually pretty ok, bar that last chance for Justin.

Defence is looking very good right now. Varane was awesome, MOTM for me I think. Martinez and Dalot were good too. Malacia was a little more patchy, but I like the fact that the guys is constantly involved, the game doesn't just pass him by, even if he does make a few mistakes. We don't seem to be giving anything away easily at the moment, every chance by the other team has to be earned.

Midfield likewise was decent. Casemiro was a rolls royce when he came on, so while Scott had a good-ish game, its a no brainer for Casemiro to be starting at the weekend. Eriksen was great as well. Bruno was a little more frustrating, going back to his usual thing in the second half of going for the 1% pass when what we really need to do is take control of the ball. He worked weirdly well out right though, maybe something to try again in the future?

Up front was our main problem. Sancho was ok without being great, Rashford was poor, Elanga was worse. Nothing sticks up front. If its not a ball in behind they can't do anything with it. It makes retaining possession an uphill struggle because the midfield has to do it all by themselves. We looked better when Ronaldo came on, but Antony and Martial need to get in the team asap.

I think its obvious the confidence is slowly coming back, but we don't have that deep sense of certainty that you get on long unbeaten runs. The thing that disappeared in the second half was the confidence to play the ball in tight spaces. I'm pretty confident that had we scored a second in that first half and given ourselves a cushion, we'd have cruised though the second half. But only being a goal up made us seem nervous and we didnt deal with the pressure. If we can grind our way to some more results, that confidence in our own ability will come.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 378 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd