PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 September 2022

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We were much better after scoring tonight than we were against Southampton.

With the counters we had we should have scored two more and killed the game off.

RedChisel

Building, slowly building. Anyone questioning things after this short a time and after 3 wins and 1 goal conceded need a slap.

flameinthesun

Thought mctominay was the best midfielder by a mile. Also a thing that goes unseen is his ability to slot into the cb position when varane/martinez get dragged wide. The amount of times he heads away crosses in the box is impressive.

If he keeps up this form I wouldn't be surprised if he became a mainstay in that midfield for this season. I can see casimero taking eriksens spot if anything.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
A little sick of watching the same clowns up top make the wrong, brainless decisions without fail.

Fts 74

2 away 1-0's happy with that.

We're making progress look much more solid at the back hopefully upfront we can start to get it going so many times in excellent positions and didn't capitalise.

Onwards and upwards.

RepardReece

Defensively we are looking fantastic. Attacking wise we're seeing the same players do the same dumb shit. Antony cost us 100mil euros but boy do we need a change and hopefully he brings that

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thought mctominay was the best midfielder by a mile. Also a thing that goes unseen is his ability to slot into the cb position when varane/martinez get dragged wide. The amount of times he heads away crosses in the box is impressive.

If he keeps up this form I wouldn't be surprised if he became a mainstay in that midfield for this season. I can see casimero taking eriksens spot if anything.
There's a reason pretty much manager we've had seems to like him. He's not great at picking out killer passes but does pretty much everything else a midfielder should. Unfortunately, to the untrained eye, any CM who can't play through balls is considered rubbish and so he constantly gets berated on here.

Tiki-Taka

I’d prefer if it was Bruno tbh.. Eriksen pushed into no 10 spot

Croftona7

Bruno slowly starting to look like that Bruno fella we signed a couple of seasons ago...

RedDevil@84

A win is a win. Another 3 points is nice.

Not sure if performance was anything to be proud of.

city-puma

Overall, not a bad game. First half I thought we were excellent. Second half you'd expect them to come out and have a go, but we didn't calm them down as quickly as we should have done. You have to accept they might be in the ascendency for maybe 10 mins, but then you find a way to wrestle control back from them. In the end we didnt really get back on top until the last 15 minutes. However the end of the game was actually pretty ok, bar that last chance for Justin.

Defence is looking very good right now. Varane was awesome, MOTM for me I think. Martinez and Dalot were good too. Malacia was a little more patchy, but I like the fact that the guys is constantly involved, the game doesn't just pass him by, even if he does make a few mistakes. We don't seem to be giving anything away easily at the moment, every chance by the other team has to be earned.

Midfield likewise was decent. Casemiro was a rolls royce when he came on, so while Scott had a good-ish game, its a no brainer for Casemiro to be starting at the weekend. Eriksen was great as well. Bruno was a little more frustrating, going back to his usual thing in the second half of going for the 1% pass when what we really need to do is take control of the ball. He worked weirdly well out right though, maybe something to try again in the future?

Up front was our main problem. Sancho was ok without being great, Rashford was poor, Elanga was worse. Nothing sticks up front. If its not a ball in behind they can't do anything with it. It makes retaining possession an uphill struggle because the midfield has to do it all by themselves. We looked better when Ronaldo came on, but Antony and Martial need to get in the team asap.

I think its obvious the confidence is slowly coming back, but we don't have that deep sense of certainty that you get on long unbeaten runs. The thing that disappeared in the second half was the confidence to play the ball in tight spaces. I'm pretty confident that had we scored a second in that first half and given ourselves a cushion, we'd have cruised though the second half. But only being a goal up made us seem nervous and we didnt deal with the pressure. If we can grind our way to some more results, that confidence in our own ability will come.
Wow. This is a really nice post for people like me unable to watch this game on live. Thank you, sir!

Ceteris

is it just me or we seem to be undercooked fitness wise?

RedDevil@84

Arsenal will eat United alive.
Is Rashford not allowed to be dropped?
Not really. Our defense is doing fine.

Scoring will be difficult with this lot. But its Arsenal. I am hoping some of the guys will be pumped up to play better than the usual dire attacking performance.

Irwin99

1st half was really dominant and a powerful performance. 2nd half was a bit of a drop and I was worried Leicester might fluke a goal or most likely from a set piece.

Defence was really good yet again. Especially Varane who was fantastic. Mctominay played really well too (credit where it's due) and was everywhere.

rooney2009

Good win
As comfortable a 1-0 victory as you would ever see
We are starting to control games again and that’s what we need

troylocker

Decent control defensively, but I think we lacked intensity in our game both on and off the ball in general. Casemiro helped with the defensive control when he came on and Ronaldo had a positive impact when he came on. Another ugly win, but right now I’ll take any win. Especially away from home

Tiki-Taka

Shame we didn’t have a reliable back up to allow Maguire to leave, surely a season of not starting will result in his price plummeting

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Keep winning ugly while we keep building the foundation. 3 points is 3 points.

Also cant see Rodgers lasting the weekend somehow especially considering his post match comments. I fully expected him to be sacked by now and Leicester to get the predictable new manager boost.

Todd

We've kept consecutive clean sheets, I didn't think that would happen all season.

We desperately need a #9 and since it seems like that's not happening today I sure hope it happens in January.

ColvaleGoa

2 away wins with Clean sheets!

Just go back to end of last season and savour how good that feels. There will be hiccups but this are good steps to build up on,!

Trex

We've been very poor away from home recently I understand why ETH prefer to play with a handbrake.
This must be the first time we won 3 in a role in over a year? Its an improvement.

RuudTom83

First half was night and day compared to the first match of the season.

Defensively United are looking very good...shout out to McTom for slotting into the back 4 when defending crosses, its a nice tactic and he's been playing the role well for the last few games.

Attacking wise United still lack that confidence and fear factor, luckily ETH has a new weapon that might change that. Rashford and Sancho are playing better, but they still need to impose themselves more on the game...but its coming.

3 Wins has steadied the ship, a win at the weekend would be perfect!

Happy days!

Lentwood

Tielemans was garbage. Despite many on here clamouring for us to sign him and constant links to top six clubs I can see why he's going to remain at Leicester yet again. Just an average Premier League midfielder for me.

Abraxas

I felt we were very good for our lead. But there was a lot to be desired in the way failed to exploit Leicester after that, since they were desperate to score. There is a big difference between exposing a side and simply being hard to beat. We were hard to beat but we didn't get our final product right at all. Defending well gives you a bloody good chance of finishing up on the right side, but killing the game ensures it. We need to work on the play in the final third big time but I liked the commitment to defend.

Huddsred

Solid result we can build on. I’m not surprised the clinical attack isn’t there yet. It will take time but the first half was very good.
We're building from the back, which is the correct way to go about it. The attacking players are just lacking a little confidence atm, but I'm convinced that confidence will come if we keep winning games.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Some overly critical fans on here with unrealistic expectations. 2,5 weeks ago we looked shot, but ETH seems to have stopped the rot. Looked very solid at the back tonight, Varane was very good tonight and Dalot possibly MoM even. A lot more fight in the team and starting to get the basics right. Attacking wise we’re not yet anywhere near Ten Hag ball, but the manger is clearly prioritizing getting the basics right and solidifying the defense. On tonight’s performance adding Antony will make a difference as well as providing more options with the substitutions. Overal things look far more promising than 2,5 weeks ago and there’s suddenly reason for optimism. It’s as if all of a sudden there’s a certain vibe about the side I haven’t seen in our sides for a long long time.

Hampshire Rec

When we fail to exploit those chances it’s always a worry that they will sneak one
Rashford central does not work and the sooner ETH realises it the better
3 Points and fifth we move on!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Needed three points, got three points. Its that simple. Should have made it easier on ourselves by being crisper in the final third. Had we been less sloppy it could've been comfortable. However, as long as we win it doesn't matter and we won.

Shimo

First half was very good. Maybe could have got a few more. People dumping on Rashford but, good assist and yes he is not a CF but, he filled in well in the first half and played a big part in the goal.

Second half - we looked like we were going to be in control, then Bruno gave away rather silly, lead to a counter and a good attempt on goal through the freekick. LC crowd got behind them, they upped their game a little and we became timid / sloppy for 15ish minutes. Then got handle on the game. Had a couple decent chances to kill it but, didn't work out.

Will be nice to have Antony and maybe Martial back, give us a bit. more options to keep the forward momentum going when others drop off.

MrBest

You can see the game on game improvement. First half was good, second half was composed with not a lot of creativity. Against Soton, we gave them many chances to equalise, against Leciester, we defend well, pressed well and really prevented them doing anything. In reality we should be doing a lot better against these teams but given how rubbish this squad has been, the little time Hag has had and 2 major signings only joined in the last 2 weeks, 3 wins on the bounce is blessing and something we have not done for a long long time. I'm very happy with the result, I am hoping for more improvements against Arsenal, we will need to be play a lot lot better than we showed today but thankfully, it is as home.

SNes

Painful to watch but 3 points and great away fans

RedMilo

Not a good performance at all but we'll take the 3 points. A better team would have punished us tonight.

feckin about in the final third too much for me, Rashford was abject again, Sancho looks like he is playing in 1st gear all the time and Elanga's first touch is horrible. If Martial plays we win that game by a bigger margin, the wastefulness and lack of football nous is staggering at times.

Dalot played really well again. Bruno and Eriksen did well. Scott was okay but he really needs to stop giving fouls away around the box.

Varane & Martinez compliment each other. Makacia underwhelming tonight and really needs to start going in for headers, it's becoming a 'thing' now.

Need to play much better against Arsenal and Real Sociedad to win those two.

Tiber

There was a time when a narrow win against a wretched Leicester side which is bottom of the league wouldn't have been considered progress, but hey I will it take.

Despite the recent desperation spending, its still very clear why De Jong was our main target this summer and the club did nothing to address that gap

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 378 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd