Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 January 2016

newgiz

Smash and grab
Scousers losing and moaning about it
3 points

What better way to beat the bitter Scouse

EmPeeKay

The scousers were robbed by a scouser, if that makes sense! We were lucky, but in fairness we were due a bit of luck. I'll take the 1-0 against our biggest rivals.

On another note: it was great to see Phil Jones and Rojo mixing with the match going fans rather than mixing with the prawn sandwich brigade in the VIP area. I was just wondering whether this was their own decision or whether this was pushed or endorsed by the club?

prath92

I know what you mean, but he was the best player on the pitch for us. I think he deserved the credit. If I was DDG listening to that, I'd be a little bit miffed.

I hope DDG can see past LVG, and know how the fans feel about him (as well as there being a chance we might improve once he's gone).
Frankly, I feel there is nothing there that should miff him. He was our best player in many of our games tbf

SalfordRed1960

Listening to some you would think Liverpool actually played well. They were just as guilty of sloppy play and poor passing. They had more fight, but less discipline. For a team at home that needed to win, they didn't exactly dominate.

Young was too cautious and maybe it was a reflection of him not being fit, hence the injury. Liverpool only had the ball because United let them have it, a comment often used against United, that we only have the ball because the opposition let us have it. They won nearly all the 50-50 balls in the first half, but pretty even in the second half, where Fellani started to win a few more tackles and headers. Can't really think of one period in the game where I thought we United were under the cosh and were going to lose.

Surprised it ended with 11 on both sides, thought Fellani and Lucas were lucky to stay on with repeat fouling.

ChaddyP

The scousers were robbed by a scouser, if that makes sense! We were lucky, but in fairness we were due a bit of luck. I'll take the 1-0 against our biggest rivals.

On another note: it was great to see Phil Jones and Rojo mixing with the match going fans rather than mixing with the prawn sandwich brigade in the VIP area. I was just wondering whether this was their own decision or whether this was pushed or endorsed by the club?

for Rojo im sure it was his own decision. Think he loves everything about this club and the fans. always hear hes easily found walking about OT on non match days.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I swear every year this fixture is the same scrappy mess, and yet the reports will always be

"an unusually poor quality game for this fixture"
"a game that lacked the quality you'd expect from a Liverpool vs United fixture"

Etc...I mean, do people just re-invent their memory of this game at the end of every season? Especially when it comes to United. Last year was the only time I can remember, win or lose, that United haven't been awful at Anfield. We let Dirk Kuyt score a hatrick once, for feck sake.

We were worse than today when we won there in Fergie's last season. It's always an absolutely awful game. It's a relief when it's out of the way, especialy when we manage to escape with a win.

Stretford End Phil

Listening to some you would think Liverpool actually played well. They were just as guilty of sloppy play and poor passing. They had more fight, but less discipline. For a team at home that needed to win, they didn't exactly dominate.

Young was too cautious and maybe it was a reflection of him not being fit, hence the injury. Liverpool only had the ball because United let them have it, a comment often used against United, that we only have the ball because the opposition let us have it. They won nearly all the 50-50 balls in the first half, but pretty even in the second half, where Fellani started to win a few more tackles and headers. Can't really think of one period in the game where I thought we United were under the cosh and were going to lose.

Surprised it ended with 11 on both sides, thought Fellani and Lucas were lucky to stay on with repeat fouling.
Their shooting was abysmal. OK DDG made some saves but really they should have at least hit the target with some of those shots. Their midfield in the first half exposed us with three cutting passes but second half they seemed to run out of ideas. They threatened but never really followed through - their forwards are crap. Once Milner was shut out they lost a lot of the movement they had in the first half. I think Jackson and Darmian were quite good today, except for one stupid back pass when he didn't look first. I like Jackson has a lot of common sense for a young player and was not phased when the Scousers jeered him for fumbling a throw in. A nice win to start the week.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

We were both crap. 0-0 would have been a deserved scoreline.

SalfordRed1960

I swear every year this fixture is the same scrappy mess, and yet the reports will always be

"a game that lacked the quality you'd expect from a Liverpool vs United fixture"

Etc...I mean, do people just re-invent their memory of this game at the end of every season? Especially when it comes to United. Last year was the only time I can remember, win or lose, that United haven't been awful at Anfield. We let Dirk Kuyt score a hatrick once, for feck sake.

We were worse than today when we won there in Fergie's last season. It's always an absolutely awful game. It's a relief when it's out of the way, especialy when we manage to escape with a win.
It has certainly dropped in excitement since the local players of both sides have left.

It is also unusual that one of the teams isn't the title favourites so there is more focus on getting one over the other.

SalfordRed1960

We were both crap. 0-0 would have been a deserved scoreline.
Not buying that. every week we hear shit about we didn't take our chances so deserved to get sweet FA. Today, we took our chance, it wasn't luck it was from a corner set piece, no dodgy decisions or deflections. Liverpool had 4 shots of which 2 were straight at DDG, and the other you would have expected him to save.

The White Pele

Exactly. I couldn't believe the negativity in the matchday thread as if this was the first time we had gone to Anfield and struggled to have any real control in the match. It's always a scrappy affair at Anfield and you just hope that we take the chances that fall our way.

SalfordRed1960

Their shooting was abysmal. OK DDG made some saves but really they should have at least hit the target with some of those shots. Their midfield in the first half exposed us with three cutting passes but second half they seemed to run out of ideas. They threatened but never really followed through - their forwards are crap. Once Milner was shut out they lost a lot of the movement they had in the first half. I think Jackson and Darmian were quite good today, except for one stupid back pass when he didn't look first. I like Jackson has a lot of common sense for a young player and was not phased when the Scousers jeered him for fumbling a throw in. A nice win to start the week.
Agree. We have played worse and won, played considerably better and got walloped.

Klopp is going to have to spend some serious money to get the scousers back to the level needed to compete for the title. Saying that Firmino is getting better as the season gets played out. LVG or whoever, will probably only need 2 or 3 established players. I think CBJ is one of our better youth players, just a shame he will have to compete with Shaw next season.

Roosney

I think around the 65th minute or so they were pressing and had a few corners that caused me some worries about the result but other than that we weren't really in trouble.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
F*cking brilliant result!

We didn't play well, Liverpool played a bit better, but it's a great result for us, and well done to the players and manager.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agree. We have played worse and won, played considerably better and got walloped.

Klopp is going to have to spend some serious money to get the scousers back to the level needed to compete for the title. .
This is certainly true.

If football was just about running a lot and closing down quickly, I'd be one of the best in the country.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not buying that. every week we hear shit about we didn't take our chances so deserved to get sweet FA. Today, we took our chance, it wasn't luck it was from a corner set piece, no dodgy decisions or deflections. Liverpool had 4 shots of which 2 were straight at DDG, and the other you would have expected him to save.
A corner has a certain amount of luck to be fair, unless you're very good at them. When we start actually creating chances in open play I'll accept that we played alright.

Irrational.

Unfortunately I was at work and missed the game - but here is some fan-shot footage that made me happy:

The 'cheerio' chant :lol::lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's brilliant listening to their fans on phone ins, weeping into their beer, if we had a striker. Well you do and he is on the bench and you paid a lot for him.

Ventura

It's actually the best way of beating Liverpool because they get even more upset about it.

The Hacker

Just watching the game again on sky plus and...as bad as we were in the first half, Liverpool weren't as amazing as everyone is saying.

Yes they attacked better and were way better organised, but their shooting was really poor.

We didn't help ourselves either. our clearances were straight to em and our movement was non existent. That just kept inviting pressure and so we continued to make mistakes. I think we made em look better than they actually were in that half.

1 things for sure, they all knew where they were on the pitch in each attack, no need for them to have a look - put the ball in an area and someone was always there.

hurricane thunderclap

As the pet shop boys (nearly ) sang 'we're shit , but we're better than you .'

Any win at Anfield is cause for celebration , especially in the manner in which we won. Still have so much work to do yet.

Gasolin

A win that makes the draw against Newcastle even more unfortunate. Especially considering that the top 4 has not been fantastic in term of pts...

Gasolin

Just watching the game again on sky plus and...as bad as we were in the first half, Liverpool weren't as amazing as everyone is saying.

Yes they attacked better and were way better organised, but their shooting was really poor.

We didn't help ourselves either. our clearances were straight to em and our movement was non existent. That just kept inviting pressure and so we continued to make mistakes. I think we made em look better than they actually were in that half.

1 things for sure, they all knew where they were on the pitch in each attack, no need for them to have a look - put the ball in an area and someone was always there.
Maybe but before the final third they also dominated the midfield and always had an option on the other side of the field where the player was not marked. That's a problem, besides being totally outplayed in the midfield.

How come you get outplayed in the midfield? Well because you don't have players who can control the ball and also be available to support the ball. Mata should be played with Herrera somehow in the midfield with Schneiderlin as the only holding player, otherwise in those configurations, Lindgard is fast but doesn't have perfect control and while Martial is able to create some runs, he can be easily stopped most of the time.

The only time Fellaini has been useful was on the goal when he attracted somehow 4 players, but that's really a bit of luck in my opinion.

Coxy

Thoroughly undeserved win - it's just papering over the cracks (only based on motd).

You should be doing so much better - really wish you didn't have van gaal.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Thoroughly undeserved win - it's just papering over the cracks (only based on motd).

You should be doing so much better - really wish you didn't have van gaal.
Why?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
A scruffy win against our biggest enemy whats not to like? Happy as a pig in muck.
A few thoughts, Darmain is a right back not a left back, DDG is a God, better United teams have gone there and played better and lost, can we kick on now and climb the table? Is Rooney back? Did LVG school Klopp today? I think so.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Nope Liverpool are shit and we were worse
We were definitely not worse. We scored a goal. A very good one for that matter. We achieved our goal and they didn't. They fluffed so many chances. We were better than them lot in my opinion.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds

I don't think anyone is saying that? For all their dominance they showed themselves up as a poor attacking force without the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge fit.

We were as bad as any United performance I've seen in the 1st half and if not for their awful lack of finishing we'd have been looking at a similar game to the Arsenal one.

But at 0-0 any team is in with a chance and we took that chance, even if it was via a set piece and our only shot on goal. Try take something from it and improve our performances going forward.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 633 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Liverpool 2:1 Man Utd