PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 October 2017

notcool

Supports
a
We were doing well in the first half with Lukaku getting a chance. It was tight but we were comfortable defensively, weren't being overrun in midfield and we carried a decent threat going forward.

In the second half it changed. Liverpool had found a way to have Coutinho as the extra man in midfield. This meant that we gave up a lot more possession. Some people interpreted this as parking the bus but it was forced upon upon us by being a man down. We couldn't counter-attack either because we didn't want to be a man light in central areas if they countered our counter. This is the reason why Mourinho lamented his lack of a bench as he needed someone who could give him energy in an outnumbered midfield. It's also the reason people have criticised Matic and Herrera, as if they're supposed to have the capability to be in two places at once.

In the final summary: people have lazily accused Mourinho of being overly defensive when that wasn't the case at all.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
We were doing well in the first half with Lukaku getting a chance. It was tight but we were comfortable defensively, weren't being overrun in midfield and we carried a decent threat going forward.

In the second half it changed. Liverpool had found a way to have Coutinho as the extra man in midfield. This meant that we gave up a lot more possession. Some people interpreted this as parking the bus but it was forced upon upon us by being a man down. We couldn't counter-attack either because we didn't want to be a man light in central areas if they countered our counter. This is the reason why Mourinho lamented his lack of a bench as he needed someone who could give him energy in an outnumbered midfield. It's also the reason people have criticised Matic and Herrera, as if they're supposed to have the capability to be in two places at once.

In the final summary: people have lazily accused Mourinho of being overly defensive when that wasn't the case at all.
We weren't down to 10 men. Mourinho too could have added Lindeloff to midfield to take care of Coutinho dropping there. He was just happy with his point, really. And pragmatically, a point away to a top 6 side can never be a bad thing.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'm still dissappointed with Jose's tactics. We had 37% ball possession and 1 shot on target, that's just not good enough. We just didnt try to win and, for me even worse, we couldnt string 3 passes together, our attacking play was nothing and we basically just hoofed it somewhere. Shame we didnt give it a try and played such cowardish tactics

notcool

Supports
a
We weren't down to 10 men. Mourinho too could have added Lindeloff to midfield to take care of Coutinho dropping there. He was just happy with his point, really. And pragmatically, a point away to a top 6 side can never be a bad thing.
I didn't mean we were down to 10 men but that we had one less man in midfield. Perhaps Mourinho could have brought on Lindelof earlier to do that but I guess he doesn't trust him there so much, which would be understandable. And I don't think that he was just happy with his point, just that it was hard to stop them dominating. After all, we carried a threat in the first half, as I said before (albeit while keeping in tight).

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Feel a bit let down. Our attacking intent has been great all year and its well documented Liverpool cant defend for shit.

Feel happy with the point, given how we played. But ultimately, its 2 points lost given how good we've been so far this year.

Team selection was questionable I felt. Darmian was poor, Young who is mostly used as a FB now gets a role higher up the pitch and no rashford?

Better than a loss. Dire game

I didn't mean we were down to 10 men but that we had one less man in midfield. Perhaps Mourinho could have brought on Lindelof earlier to do that but I guess he doesn't trust him there so much, which would be understandable. And I don't think that he was just happy with his point, just that it was hard to stop them dominating. After all, we carried a threat in the first half, as I said before (albeit while keeping in tight).
I wasn't implying you were saying we were down to 10 men, tbf. I was rather saying Coutinho's switch of position wasn't a valid excuse for our uber defensive second half stance. If Mourinho was intent on more than a point he'd have brought on Lindeloff earlier and Mata instead of Lingard. And first half we had little threat. We only strung one passing move together the whole match that resulted in a shot on goal. That was unambitious by any standard

rollingstoned1

I know we are supposed to say a point away at Anfield is good but can't help feeling disappointed with the way we set up and played not to mention how content we were to escape with a point. Darmian starting somehow confirmed for me that we were not that interested in trying to grab all 3 points, even without Fellaini too many safe players in that starting XI for my liking.

notcool

Supports
a
I wasn't implying you were saying we were down to 10 men, tbf. I was rather saying Coutinho's switch of position wasn't a valid excuse for our uber defensive second half stance. If Mourinho was intent on more than a point he'd have brought on Lindeloff earlier and Mata instead of Lingard. And first half we had little threat. We only strung one passing move together the whole match that resulted in a shot on goal. That was unambitious by any standard
Coutinho's switch of position does explain why we were so defensive: if you have one less man in midfield, you lose possession and so lose territory. It was hard to get out of our half. Maybe if we had had Fellaini, we would have been able to win territory by kicking the ball up to him, as we did against Real Madrid in the Super Cup.

Are you suggesting we should have played Lindelof in a midfield two and played Mata as the ten?

I think we matched them in the first half. I think creating one opportunity in 45 minutes is good enough in a big game. I feel that's sufficiently ambitious.

prtk0811

Are you suggesting we should have played Lindelof in a midfield two and played Mata as the ten?

I think we matched them in the first half. I think creating one opportunity in 45 minutes is good enough in a big game. I feel that's sufficiently ambitious.
Could have played Lindelof or blind as a extra man in mid in a 433 or Mata as a deep lying no 10 almost as an extra midfeilder and Benched mkh to come later on with fresh legs.

But mourinho will never use players like mata to keep the ball. He goes pure pragmatist. GOes reactive and Counter attacking for which the system becomes unbalanced on the wings.

Coutinho's switch of position does explain why we were so defensive: if you have one less man in midfield, you lose possession and so lose territory. It was hard to get out of our half. Maybe if we had had Fellaini, we would have been able to win territory by kicking the ball up to him, as we did against Real Madrid in the Super Cup.

No. If we were outnumbered in midfield (an excuse I don't buy), Lindeloff should have been added to Herrera and Matic. With Mata added to keep the ball better on the counter and to further inflate the midfield.
And I assure you, stringing one coherent passing move together over 90 mins is a classic sign of unambition. Even Burnley are never that unambitious

ZAGREB RED

A lot of pundits saying that, yes Mourinho played for a draw but Klopp was as much to blame for the no-score bore as he failed to do anything about it and wouldn't go for the win with conservative substitutions and a lack of real goal threat. Liverpool missed Mane, but United had three certain starters out also.

Verbalkint

Flat performance, not a great game to watch. Let's just thank de Gea and be happy with the point!

notcool

Supports
a
Could have played Lindelof or blind as a extra man in mid in a 433 or Mata as a deep lying no 10 almost as an extra midfeilder and Benched mkh to come later on with fresh legs.

But mourinho will never use players like mata to keep the ball. He goes pure pragmatist. GOes reactive and Counter attacking for which the system becomes unbalanced on the wings.
Yes, and Mourinho spoke about not being able to bring midfielders off the bench so I don't think he trusted Lindelof there. And I agree that he would have wanted more aggression/physicality there, not ability to keep the ball. So Mata wouldn't be picked.

No. If we were outnumbered in midfield (an excuse I don't buy), Lindeloff should have been added to Herrera and Matic. With Mata added to keep the ball better on the counter.
We still would have been 4v3 in midfield, although going 4-3-3 probably would have helped. But I think Mourinho probably doesn't trust Lindelof there, as per his comments in this post-match press conference about not having midfielders to bring on.

I don't think Mata would have been good on the counter: not enough pace.

And I assure you, stringing one coherent passing move together over 90 mins is a classic sign of unambition. Even Burnley are never that unambitious
I'm not sure. Chelsea against Man City didn't achieve much but I think that was on Man City, not them. They weren't being negative, IMO: they were outplayed.

How do Burnley play against Liverpool? Hoofball? Maybe setting up 4-4-2 like them would have helped.

prtk0811

No. If we were outnumbered in midfield (an excuse I don't buy),
We were Outnumbered, Dont under estimate klopp because of the results, He is a screwed tactician too and knows how to exploit weaknesses. First half it was 3v2 and second half it became 4v2 because klopp wanted more of the ball and control and mid dominance.

On the other hand, if we brought on lindelof or blind it would have been a defensive substitution( as per mourinho's reading of the game, WHich we differ with him as he would have added more control and passes, and mata to circulate is better and turn defense to attack via keeping the posession)

But mourinho sees it as black and white. He goes reactive and counter attacking as soon as he is forced to absorb the pressure even when you have the tools to use the ball and keep it. Which is not a bad idea when you have wingers and creativity and balance to do it.( Mourinho's Real madrid are a example of that) But this team does not have that, and we end up not playing to our players strenghts.

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The positives are that the unbeaten run continues, we've got a point from a tough away game, and we've kept another clean sheet.

That's about all that can be said, move on to the next game, and get back to goal scoring ways..!!

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Haven't watched the match, but with out injuries I'll happily take a point. People complaining about not attacking needed to realise we don't have Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez up front. The 3 supporting Lukaku from the lineups I see were Martial, Mikhi and Young, all players who have been patch at best in their United careers so far.

We're also missing Pogba, Bailly, Rashford and Fellaini most likely from the starting lineup, those 4 players would've made a difference. Yes Pool are missing Mane, but that's the only real first teamer they're missing.
I'm sure I saw a thread recently that claimed that Martial is as good as Mbappe☺? And Rashford was there, he was just benched.
Besides, we we're missing Clyne and Lallana as well who would both had started if they were fit.

prtk0811

I'm sure I saw a thread recently that claimed that Martial is as good as Mbappe☺? And Rashford was there, he was just benched.
Besides, we we're missing Clyne and Lallana as well who would both had started if they were fit.
Rashford was tired from england duty because southgate kept playing him despite the qualification. He would have gotten an injury if he was overburnt . And martial has all the skills. He is just playing in a very different philosophy and systemto mbappe's which is not adaptible to his strenghts.

I think you forgot martial's first goal in english football?

TheReligion

Abusive
Rashford was injured. Knock on international duty.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Rashford picked up a knock on international duty. Pretty sure if he was fully fit he would've started the other day.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
A lot of pundits saying that, yes Mourinho played for a draw but Klopp was as much to blame for the no-score bore as he failed to do anything about it and wouldn't go for the win with conservative substitutions and a lack of real goal threat. Liverpool missed Mane, but United had three certain starters out also.
What are you talking about?! Like only Klopp and Pool wanted to win this :D

BigBebe

Lukaku has been great for us this season but he is clearly not the guy who can receive the ball under pressure and hold it up and lay it off to a teammate.

That was the first game when I thought that we missed Zlatan in that role.

Anyway, by and large, I am happy with a point at Anfield.

Camilo

The positives are that the unbeaten run continues, we've got a point from a tough away game, and we've kept another clean sheet.

That's about all that can be said, move on to the next game, and get back to goal scoring ways..!!
I just hope this doesn't set us back. We've had a good start to the season, but we've not been convincing. Keeping the belief and momentum going is important, and when the manager clearly doesn't believe his players can match up to Liverpool's, what does that do to the belief and confidence?

We'll see I guess, but playing like we did is pretty embarrassing. It's apparently the top 6 that are acceptable to play for a point against these days.. A quarter of the league we park the bus? Small time.

chicha14

If only Lukaku had not rushed his chance and slotted it near post... Would have come at a perfect time and set the tone for the second half. Apart from our boring, defensive gameplan I do think we were poor overall, we could hardly keep possession and string in a few passes together. We had zero threat to be fair and failed to test a very average defence and GK, expected more in terms of that. Nevertheless, happy to have a point! This was their cup final and will probably not raise their performance higher than that. I do not mind a point in these games, but this is why it is imperative that we blitz the weaker teams!

Trizy

I'm disappointed with how we played but some of the reactions are ridiculous.

Tactics were fine, thought we should've set up attackingly though, Liverpool are shite and were there for the taking.

"prtk0811, post: 21604486, member: 106324"]We were Outnumbered, Dont under estimate klopp because of the results, He is a screwed tactician too and knows how to exploit weaknesses. First half it was 3v2 and second half it became 4v2 because klopp wanted more of the ball and control and mid dominance.
I'm not underestimating Klopp. For me you don't line up with a 4-2-3-1 and get to complain about being outnumbered in midfield. Because that's having 2 sitters and 3 Ams. And even if I were to grant this alleged out numbering. To stem the tide Mourinho could have added Lindeloff to the mix and put both Mata and Mhikitaryan/Lingard in the middle to further clog numbers. IMO if Jose had wanted them 3 points badly he'd have reacted tactically to directly counter Klopp's moves. What he was banking on was Klopp to make the error of replacing midfielders with strikers so that he could steal the points. That's why he made the sub's he made. Yet if you are truly outnumbered in midfield, they only make sense if you have a forward player who can hold up the ball. Klopp simply never took the bait.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'm disappointed with how we played but some of the reactions are ridiculous.

Tactics were fine, thought we should've set up attackingly though, Liverpool are shite and were there for the taking.
So tactics weren't fine then?

redIndianDevil

To all people who are saying we were outnumbered in the midfield, we were not down to 10 men, nor were Liverpool playing with an extra man, if they overloaded their midfield, then our wingers were free, our wingers weren't used at all because not one of our midfielders or defenders dared to pick a pass, it looked like each and every one of them were instructed to clear the ball as soon as they received it.

As for our list of injuries, realistically Pogba was the only one we missed, it's not like it was a fully fit Liverpool either, their main attacker got injured, their first choice midfielder was out too, so was their first choice RB. My biggest gripe is that we did not even try to counter attack them, don't tell me it's not possible, the likes of Burnley, Watford, Leicester, Sevilla did Liverpool in quite easily.

How do Burnley play against Liverpool? Hoofball? Maybe setting up 4-4-2 like them would have helped.
We played worse than Burnley did against Liverpool. It's bit hypocritical to call their style as hoofball especially after we played the ugliest kind of cowardly hoofball just 2 days ago.

notcool

Supports
a
We played worse than Burnley did against Liverpool. It's bit hypocritical to call their style as hoofball especially after we played the ugliest kind of cowardly hoofball just 2 days ago.
Didn't mean to offend. I wasn't trying to suggest longballin' wasn't a legitimate tactic.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Klopp didn't do much to win the game either. Let's not forget that he was the one who chose to deploy three natural midfielders (Coutinho usually is their third midfielder in a pretty much free role) and thus to alter his original attacking plan by removing one creative option. And despite that the high pressing worked and it caused our game on the ball to gradually unravel, how many times did his midfielders opted for a run in the box? Can missed a good chance, am i missing something else? Klopp was as worried about keeping the defensive shape of his side as Mourinho was. Giving stick to Mourinho for his negative tactics while he tried to win a football match with Salah as his best outlet for 90 minutes (since Coutinho was well marked). Jesus wept, Jurgen...

The first half was ok, we got either Young or Mkhitaryan (especially Young) on the ball in some good areas and we managed to get someone on the ball behind Moreno (their weakest link) thrice in the opening half hour of the match and put decent balls in which were, unfortunately, cleared by their CBs. Then both Coutinho and Firmino worked their arses off to find pockets of space in between the lines and they were constantly looking to attack the channels between the FBs and the CBs while our options to carry the ball forward in the attacking transition, Young and Miki, went awol (especially Miki). During the 90 minutes, our midfield (Miki included) were dribbled past/lost possession a total of 18 times. In the same time, Liverpool had 22 successful dribbles with Matic-Herrera running like headless chickens to cover all the spaces they could. Imho the question about not trying to win the match is directed to the wrong manager. Mourinho can be a real arsehole in his comments but his post-match assessment this time was spot on.

As for our general play, we need to become better on the ball. That's a given. Either to open up tight defenses or hit on the counter when being pressed, we need to improve. But when you miss both your CMs who can keep the ball under pressure and draw opposition players and without any CB even half good with the ball at his feet, a manager has a point when he says that his hands were tied. Suggesting that Mata would have made a difference in a game in which our main problem was the lack of someone who could (half) turn his man and then start running with the ball in the middle third of the pitch is a non-argument for me. With our absentees in the middle of the park, you could tell beforehand that we couldn't dominate in those areas. This wasn't a game for Mata.

It wasn't cowardice, it was a bad game from us with many of our creative options underperforming when we were in possession. Only City have created more chances than us thus far and we have only conceded two goals in the league. Given the circumstances, i'll just take the point and happily move on to the next game.

Drz

Starting with the players. I felt our midfield was very disapointing, whilst the energy was there, the required quality and "wit" was totally absent. At best it was a very cavaliere approach, that meant our attacking players were provided with no service or just random passes into space to run and fight for.
Mkhitaryan : deserves to be dropped. I'm sorry if I'm harsh here, but I was critical of Rooney for the same reasons. One good move per 90mins should not warrant you a starting position in a team challenging for honors. Too inconsistent thoughout a 90mins game. Against a good team (not Liverpool) the amount of times he loses the ball recklessly would cost us way too many goals to compensate for his one or two moments of inspiration (assuming they even pay-off).

Finally Mourinho, being Mourinho. That makes it what, 2 shots on target in 180mins of football at Anfield. His record vs the top 6 over the past year or so speaks for itself (http://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-75, check out his big away games stats).
But this is what we should expect, I have never thought of a Mourinho team as the best team but rather a tough team to beat. Ditto for Diego Simeone, because their tactics or plans to win a big game hinge on the opposition misplaying rather than you outplaying them. It definitely has his merits in a tournament, when you are really out of your depth and you know it.

Against a Liverpool side that has been leaking goals, a team we have outspent over the past few transfer windows, the best we could do is lump it forward and hope for the best; reminded me of Stoke in the noughties.

Of course a point at Anfield is a positive, but I can't think of another way to qualify this performance besides cowardly.

Dept3942

Would be happy with a point away against the other 5 teams from the top 6. We should be able to beat all these teams at OT. The results from the top 6 side games will probably be what decide the league.

My only gripe is that we basically played with 10 men having Darmien in the team. Young is in the chair & should be our first choice LB. At least until we find a better replacement.

redflair

Anfield, for a United player, is more a question of character, temperament and the ability to pass the ball under pressure.

Unfortunately, for a lot of our team - Miki, Herrera, Jesse, Smalling, Martial (at times), Young and a few others - simply find the decibel levels and the wall of hate a bit too much to take and can't get a flow or a rhythm going.

You may say they're professionals etc...- and they need to play better but Anfield simply has its own acoustics for United players - and some of our current lot can't take it.

Even our legends like Scholes, Keane and Giggs had to dig deep for results there.

That said, a point's not a bad result for us - and for Jose is almost a triumph. Roll on, next season for the third instalment in the most tedious trilogy on earth.

RobinHood

How long before we go to an Anfield, Etihad or Stamford Bridge with a team that's not passive, defensive and lacking imagination?

Look if these results are what's needed in the short-term for us to build a hard-to-beat title winning squad then fine.

But I would honestly prefer us to go to one those places with a team set out to win. If more time is what it takes then fine, I can be patient. But on the evidence of Saturday's performance I'm thinking we may be one or two players short. Maybe that's what Mourinho thinks too? Hence the performance.

iKeano

Should have went at that Liverpool team, they're very beatable. Setting up with 5 at the back was alwasy going to be LVG-esque crap to watch, especially when you have Smalling & Darmian in that back 5.
We should have been going here and letting Liverpool deal with our way of playing. Instead we've broken up momentum and showed them far too much respect.
That said, its a point away and a decent result on paper. Just sticks in the throat a bit when I'm of the opinion that had we approached the game tactically different, we could and should have won it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Anfield, for a United player, is more a question of character, temperament and the ability to pass the ball under pressure.

Unfortunately, for a lot of our team - Miki, Herrera, Jesse, Smalling, Martial (at times), Young and a few others - simply find the decibel levels and the wall of hate a bit too much to take and can't get a flow or a rhythm going.

You may say they're professionals etc...- and they need to play better but Anfield simply has its own acoustics for United players - and some of our current lot can't take it.

Even our legends like Scholes, Keane and Giggs had to dig deep for results there.

That said, a point's not a bad result for us - and for Jose is almost a triumph. Roll on, next season for the third instalment in the most tedious trilogy on earth.
You obviously never saw Herrera there last season or Juanfield. He had a bad game as did Matic. He certainly isn't a wimp.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The only legit time to 'make a statement' is at season's end; the rest is just narrative-seeking by journalists & broadcasters. Besides, the days of making a statement by beating Liverpool are long gone.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 574 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Liverpool 0:2 Man Utd