PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:5 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 October 2021

croadyman

Don't be in the least bit surprised to hear garbage from the board along the lines of defeats can happen to anyone just look at Liverpool against Villa to defend keeping Ole

United492

I reckon pogbas tackle played a part aswell. Klop didn't want our players to get pissed and start throwing wild challenges that could injure there players and derail there season like last year.
Their.

UTD_Since_1978

I can just imagine the phone call after the game by Woodward to the Glazers.

Woodward: Mr Glazer, what do you want us to do about Ole?

Glazers: Ole who?

Woodward: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the manager of Manchester United.

Glazers: Manchester? Oh, you mean that soccer club in England we own, right?

Woodward: Yes

Glazers: I don't know, you got any new sponsorship deals for us?

Woodward: No

Glazers: Ed, I told you, only call me if you are making us more money, not about soccer issues as we know nothing about soccer. (puts phone down)

Woodward: Ok Mr Glazer, but should we sack Ole?...Hello?, Mr Glazer, are you still there?

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Still reeling from that game. I love Ole, and he'll always be a legend in my eyes. He also seems like a great human being - which is becoming rarer especially in football. But he has to go. There is no way he should be able to come back from that result and performance. I would even be hopeful that he resigns as I think he could tarnish his legacy if he continues and frustration grows. My concern is that our inept board will be so clueless to the situation that they won't do anything. A sad day for me.

Tarrou

Absolutely devastating to witness that

It's not just how shit we were but how little effort there seemed to be to turn it around

I don't think any other big club would let things fester after a result or performance like that

croadyman

Come at me all you like but have to be honest when it got to 5-0 I reached the point where I thought does it really matter if we get beat 6 or 7 now, the pain is already horrendous so what's a bit more.

Jamie Shawcross

There are no positives to this result/performance, but there could be yet. It HAS to be the trigger for replacing Solskjaer. I have never felt more humiliated as a United fan in my 36 years on this earth. Never

I might be able to stomach a beating, but not in that manner against them of all teams, at home. Our squad is much much better than we appear to be, and thats on the coaching. Time for him to go. Writing has been on the wall for ages. I ADORED him as a player, but I need him to go now so I can carry on loving him. He's tainting his legacy the longer he is here.

Jamie Shawcross

I think Solksjaer is ultimately TOO NICE to be a top level football manager. You have to be absolutely ruthless. He is too nice of a human for the job. Get a bastard in, these players need it

Giggsy13

The Dimwits on the united Board will just say well we lost 6-1 to city but lost the title on goal difference. We’ll be okay.

darko

If you couldn't see before this match this season, Luke Shaw is a dreadful defender. He should be dropped and Telles given a run of matches.

croadyman

The Dimwits on the united Board will just say well we lost 6-1 to city but lost the title on goal difference. We’ll be okay.
Yeah they will do that because utter yankee scumbag cowards to the core

kirk buttercup

we sat Pogba , Sancho and Donny on the bench thats what 200 million worth of players? Two didnt even get onto the pitch . Absolutely clueless

justboy68

I think most of us knew we were going to get pasted. That 3 points vs Atalanta was so vital to keep us alive in the CL until we get a proper manager in.

United Hobbit

Oh but don't forget, our great captain has said how we need to all "stick together" and not start blaming each other.

I can't stand this flowery clap trap after a defeat at the best of times but this enraged me today just feck off with the fluff and be blunt

The Oracle

You are right but you are going back to titanic days. The sport was a complete different thing back then.
Football was still a game of 11 v 11

You have to remember:
Whenever there is talk about trophies won, the whole history of the club is counted.
Whenever there is talk about the greatest goalscorer's at a club, the whole history is counted.
Whenever there is talk about the most player appearances at a club, the whole history is counted.
And so on and so forth.

Yes Liverpool won today at our home 5-0, but guess what? We won at their home 5-0 (75 years ago!)

Here are some more stats:
- Liverpool won their first European Cup in 1977, but guess what? We won our first in 1968 (9 years before them)
- Liverpool won their first Champions League in 2005, but guess what? We won our first in 1999 (6 years before them)
- Liverpool won their first Premier League in 2020, but guess what? We won our first in 1993 (27 years before them)
- Liverpool won their first Club World Cup in 2019, but guess what? We won our first in 2008 (11 years before them)
- Liverpool won the most difficult treble there is to win in English football in........ oh they've not, but guess what? We won it in 1999

Can you see the pattern here?

And just for good measure, this is the all-time head to head:
Man Utd wins = 89
Liverpool wins = 79
Draw = 68

By the way, the Titanic was 34 years before we beat them 5-0 at Anfield!

RedMilo

Thought I would leave it a few hours rather than posting based on raw emotions.

Firstly, some joker on here put after the game that AWB was our best outfield player, its probably the same guy who thinks that because he is a good tackler must make him a good defender, you just don't understand football if thats your opinion, sorry.

AWB position gets us into real trouble for that 1st goal and its definitely not the first time. Can't defend and certainly can't attack - worst £50m ever spent...

Lindelof panics in possession and too soft vs attackers for a PL centre half.

Maguire is really short on confidence and looks like he has got a mistake in him every time he takes the pitch since injury.

Shaw is not playing well at all at the moment and doesn't get out quick enough against the cross for several of their chances.

McTominay relies on his strength and drive to get him out of situations but was up against superior players and it showed. My biggest problem with McT has always been he doesnt sense danger and you can't teach that, it costs us in Centre Midfield.

Fred is a very limited footballer who gives the ball away too easily. He covers every blade of grass but you every time he gives the ball away ot seems to result in a chance for the opposition.

Bruno has been our talisman until CR7 came in. Its almost like he has too much respect for Ronaldo to be the main man now. Should been burying that chance at 0-0.

Greenwood not his day but has been our best attacker to date. Feel sorry for the kid, he deserves to have played in a better utd side - still think he will become world class though..

Rushford don't get me started on him. Pace of a cheetah, football intelligence of a schoolboy. Proper shit himself when he came up against Van Dijk as he does every time he doesn't challenge in the air when near him.

CR7 actually had one of his better games in terms on link up but too easily loses possession as well.

Pogba lazy/clumsy tackle as usual deserved his red card.

Cavani puts in a shift every time can't fault his effort.

DDG was okay again that save from TAA was very good.

All in all we look.a million miles away from a title challenge its poor. As a collective team we haven't played well since Leeds, its embarrassing if they think that level of performance is acceptable and going to get them anywhere..

Ole has to make way for someone more experienced now. Wish someone like Ancellotti was available. I think Pochettino will be our next manager

BlueHaze

Football was still a game of 11 v 11

You have to remember:
Whenever there is talk about trophies won, the whole history of the club is counted.
Whenever there is talk about the greatest goalscorer's at a club, the whole history is counted.
Whenever there is talk about the most player appearances at a club, the whole history is counted.
And so on and so forth.

Yes Liverpool won today at our home 5-0, but guess what? We won at their home 5-0 (75 years ago!)

Here are some more stats:
- Liverpool won their first European Cup in 1977, but guess what? We won our first in 1968 (9 years before them)
- Liverpool won their first Champions League in 2005, but guess what? We won our first in 1999 (6 years before them)
- Liverpool won their first Premier League in 2020, but guess what? We won our first in 1993 (27 years before them)
- Liverpool won their first Club World Cup in 2019, but guess what? We won our first in 2008 (11 years before them)
- Liverpool won the most difficult treble there is to win in English football in........ oh they've not, but guess what? We won it in 1999

Can you see the pattern here?

And just for good measure, this is the all-time head to head:
Man Utd wins = 89
Liverpool wins = 79
Draw = 68

By the way, the Titanic was 34 years before we beat them 5-0 at Anfield!
Good post but can I ask you since you are The Oracle, when will Ole be gone?

BlueHaze

This honestly breaks my heart. He deserves better, we all do.
That was the worst thing about the game. When the camera zoomed in on a sickened SAF followed by a Dalglish laughing his arse off.

Those images will haunt me forever.

BorisManUtd

Reality check and it was coming since start of the season, it's just that Liverpool are first proper top team we faced so far. I think that first half we actually were okay in attack, had 3-4 solid chances, Liverpool did look vulnerable and exposed in few situations but it was always gonna be a horror show with the way we played in midfield and defence.

Think the 4 of Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford and Ronaldo are not exactly helpful at the back, so it was 6 players at the back and it looked so exposed and amateurish. Plus those situations where our players were running into each other, Rashford passing the ball back from the wing all the way to Salah, it's all evidence of the mess the team is at the moment, it's comical really.

croadyman

Only tiny positive is that we saw out that last half hour without making it an all time premier league home defeat record.
Yeah due to them going easy on us otherwise it would have been at least 7 and we deserve every banter and taunt from that mob for that shambles

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Right so there's a lot to rant about so I'll just pick the bits that actually were so astoundingly bad they surprised me in spite of fully expectinbg us to get absolutely shat on.

Maguire on the first goal - Why does he push up but then stand 10 yards away from the person he pushed up against? This left Shaw with no clue what to do. I don't know what Lindelof was doing either, or Bissaka, but at least they were attracted to the ball. Maguire was attracted to literally nothing. What on earth was he doing?

Maguire on the second goal - Why did he not just clear it? And why, after being so unbelievably slow that he missed it entirely, did he then run into Shaw and stop him from clearing it? This goal simply doesn't happen if Maguire is not on the pitch. This is one of several examples in the game that demonstrated why we would actually have been better starting the game with 10 men rather than joking our other players into thinking they could rely on Maguire to do his job.

Maguire on the third goal - When you watch it back on the replay, the ball hits Maguire, and then everyone reacts, except for Maguire, who doesn't react, even though it was literally him the ball hit. About a whole second later, he finally reacts. During this time Salah who is stood a good 3 metres behind him, runs past him to the position HE should be in, and scores. I have never seen a player as off the pace as this.

Maguire on the fourth goal - What is he doing? Why does he run over and then just let the player on the ball walk away from him? THis caused a goal to happen. Did someone pay him to make sure it was 4-0 at half time? Because honestly on all four goals what he was doing was simply unfecking believable in terms of the level of incompetence.

Maguire on the fifth goal - I mean, this one you can blame on Pogba or even Shaw, both of whom's contributions were, well, Maguire like...but Maguire should have just cut out the ball. It literally gets curled round him and if he'd actually been paying attention he could have just easily cut it out.

Maguire - Now this was a shiter all round performance, but what MAguire has done here is manage to be so bad that he pretty much single handedly guaranteed a humiliation. You can't have someone play like this and not get thrashed. It happened last week and it happened this week again. He stood out like a sore thumb in spite of the whole team being terrible. This was literally the most inept performance I've seen from a "professional" footballer, apart from, possibly, that time Gerrard came on and immediately got sent off for stamping on someone...but even that was a one off moment of twattery rather than a 90 minute encyclopedia of it.

Starting Maguire - Why, after the last two games, is Maguire still getting picked today? He is not fit. Firstly, I would say it isn't his fault, but why is he not fit? Not match fit I can understand, but he is SO off the pace he is simply not fit in the professional athlete sense. He is paid hundreds of thousands a week not to turn up and perform like someone who exercises less than I do. Yet he cannot, over 2 months into the season, even do that. More to the point, WHY is this not being picked up by the management? He was clearly not fit on Wednesday and it cost us 2 goals. He was clearly not fit the week before and it cost us 3, arguably 4 goals. Is this just pure jokes from Ole at this point? why are you picking someone who you know there is a good chance will cost you 4 goals in a game? Get to feck. This is a sackable offnce on its own because it is SO incompetent it is beyond belief. No one can tell me they watched Maguire against Leicester and Atalanta and thought "yeah, he's in a fit state to play against Liverpool" The only reason I wasn't utterly shocked he was playing is because Ole is our manager. One of our players could literally spend the game cartwheeling round the touchline in a clown suit and he still wouldn't notice they were doing anything wrong.

Pogba - What was that? Remember when Bissaka did something about half as bad and there was a massive thread on here about how it proves he's rubbish at football? Pogba does or nearly does this nearly every game. So he's what, much worse at football than Bissaka? Or is he just an idiot.

Ole - I was going to have a massive rant but I'll keep this short...what were people expecting him to be able to progress us to after last season? He could not win a Europa League against a mid table Spanish side, with a squad of players who'd have looked less out of place in the Champions League final. He at that point had been making the same mistakes game after game. The most basic of errors like picking injured players, playing people in positons they can't play, etc. What difference did anyone expect to see in his management just from us signing some more players. This is like trying to fix the fact your pilot can't fly a plane, by buying a more expensive plane.

Last edited:

BlueHaze

Pogba - What was that? Remember when Bissaka did something about half as bad and there was a massive thread on here about how it proves he's rubbish at football? Pogba does or nearly does this nearly every game. So he's what, much worse at football than Bissaka? Or is he just an idiot.
That my friend was the result of someone who doesn't give a feck and will be off for a free in 6 months time anyway. He has wanted out for years, we all know this. The problem is losing a player with qualities like him for nothing, once again...

MaroonDevil

He wanted to bounce back but use the same tactics with Fred and Mc Tominay. OleOut

Cantonagotmehere

Still reeling from that game. I love Ole, and he'll always be a legend in my eyes. He also seems like a great human being - which is becoming rarer especially in football. But he has to go. There is no way he should be able to come back from that result and performance. I would even be hopeful that he resigns as I think he could tarnish his legacy if he continues and frustration grows. My concern is that our inept board will be so clueless to the situation that they won't do anything. A sad day for me.
I'm with you mate. Very sad.

U.N.C.L.E

I’d make watching that game end-to-end compulsory daily viewing for every player and member of the coaching staff including Ole until the next game. Do it Clockwork Orange style with their damned eyes pinned open.

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 424 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 1:3 Liverpool
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool