PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:5 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 October 2021

croadyman

These stats are utterly horrific we are ROCK BOTTOM below the likes of Leeds, Newcastle, Burnley feck me even NORWICH for tackles per game and errors leading to goals. Don't even get me started on being 18th for clean sheets in this league with some of those shocking goal differences in bottom half.

TheLord

List of players that need replacing if United were ever to win a big trophy: (conservative list)
  1. Shaw
  2. Fred
  3. Maguire
  4. McTominay
  5. Pogba
  6. Wan-Bissaka
  7. Matic
  8. Lindelof
  9. Bailly
  10. Dalot
  11. Lingard
  12. Mata
  13. Martial

TheLord

The squad is extremely substandard. Yes, the manager is awful, but the overall squad needs a major overhaul for United to win anything meaningful

Luke1995

I was so amazed by the comeback against Atalanta that I totally forgot they greatly outplayed us in the first half and Liverpool would so obviously do the same thing but much worse...

oz insomniac

Watching the game and still have problems understanding the hype for McTom and Rashford other than they are academy greats. The midfield will never function with the immobile McTom, no point in having someone in midfield that can’t pass , tackle or get into space. Pogba is an enigma and not a Premier League player, much more suited to Italy in particular.

Rashford is a frustrating issue, seems to have an ability to run open space and finish, but on the ball is prone to run into nowhere and lose possession.

Not to mention the real legend Ole, he’s like many people we all have worked with, managed to get into a position far above his ability due to someone above him not realising his true ability.

Terrible performance and Ole needs to preserve his legacy and move aside and let someone with technical nouse take the reins.

peridigm

I was so amazed by the comeback against Atalanta that I totally forgot they greatly outplayed us in the first half and Liverpool would so obviously do the same thing but much worse...
Nothing new. Was a stat mentioned during the game immediately after they scored the first goal. We've come back from a losing position 35 times under Ole. It's almost expected now.

Daengophile

These stats are utterly horrific we are ROCK BOTTOM below the likes of Leeds, Newcastle, Burnley feck me even NORWICH for tackles per game and errors leading to goals. Don't even get me started on being 18th for clean sheets in this league with some of those shocking goal differences in bottom half.
Shocking statistics.

Nothing new in our defensive performance

SAFMUTD

The squad is extremely substandard. Yes, the manager is awful, but the overall squad needs a major overhaul for United to win anything meaningful
Wasnt Ole supposed to leave a way better squad that the one he got? It seems were right back at 2018.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
List of players that need replacing if United were ever to win a big trophy: (conservative list)
  1. Shaw
  2. Fred
  3. Maguire
  4. McTominay
  5. Pogba
  6. Wan-Bissaka
  7. Matic
  8. Lindelof
  9. Bailly
  10. Dalot
  11. Lingard
  12. Mata
  13. Martial
Nope. Who needs replacing is the manager and the coaches.

You bring a world class manager, with world class staff and we will be competing for both EPL and UCL comfortably with the same players we have. There is nothing wrong with our players other than Ole and coaches can't turn them into a properly coached team

I guarantee you, you swap Ole with Klopp and his coaches and we will be flying and they will be a joke, despite players being the same as now

Shame

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
  1. Shaw
  2. Fred
  3. Maguire
  4. McTominay
  5. Pogba
  6. Wan-Bissaka
  7. Matic
  8. Lindelof
  9. Bailly
  10. Dalot
  11. Lingard
  12. Mata
  13. Martial
You could replace replace them all next summer and Ole still wouldn't win the league.

croadyman

Most humiliating defeat in my lifetime TEN times worse than the heavy ones to Newcastle, City, Chelsea, Spurs & Southampton over the years. Quite honestly we fully deserved to take a much bigger beating but the scousers showed some mercy due to our players losing it.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Disgraceful performance. Our manager, coaching staff and quite a few of our players need to be punished in some form or another.

Manager and coaching staff should be sacked. Some of the players, including our captain, should be fined wages.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It was so predictable before the match even started that we would lose but I didn’t expect feckin 5-0. Although, we started the first 5 mins brightly, the only bright moment we had. And then going downhill like what most of us predicted.

NICanRed

That was the worst thing about the game. When the camera zoomed in on a sickened SAF followed by a Dalglish laughing his arse off.

Those images will haunt me forever.
Agree. Horrible for our hero to have to watch that.
If he won't come back - where is Big Sam? He (almost always) prevents relegation.

captain666

Right so there's a lot to rant about so I'll just pick the bits that actually were so astoundingly bad they surprised me in spite of fully expectinbg us to get absolutely shat on.

Maguire on the first goal - Why does he push up but then stand 10 yards away from the person he pushed up against? This left Shaw with no clue what to do. I don't know what Lindelof was doing either, or Bissaka, but at least they were attracted to the ball. Maguire was attracted to literally nothing. What on earth was he doing?

Maguire on the second goal - Why did he not just clear it? And why, after being so unbelievably slow that he missed it entirely, did he then run into Shaw and stop him from clearing it? This goal simply doesn't happen if Maguire is not on the pitch. This is one of several examples in the game that demonstrated why we would actually have been better starting the game with 10 men rather than joking our other players into thinking they could rely on Maguire to do his job.

Maguire on the third goal - When you watch it back on the replay, the ball hits Maguire, and then everyone reacts, except for Maguire, who doesn't react, even though it was literally him the ball hit. About a whole second later, he finally reacts. During this time Salah who is stood a good 3 metres behind him, runs past him to the position HE should be in, and scores. I have never seen a player as off the pace as this.

Maguire on the fourth goal - What is he doing? Why does he run over and then just let the player on the ball walk away from him? THis caused a goal to happen. Did someone pay him to make sure it was 4-0 at half time? Because honestly on all four goals what he was doing was simply unfecking believable in terms of the level of incompetence.

Maguire on the fifth goal - I mean, this one you can blame on Pogba or even Shaw, both of whom's contributions were, well, Maguire like...but Maguire should have just cut out the ball. It literally gets curled round him and if he'd actually been paying attention he could have just easily cut it out.

Maguire - Now this was a shiter all round performance, but what MAguire has done here is manage to be so bad that he pretty much single handedly guaranteed a humiliation. You can't have someone play like this and not get thrashed. It happened last week and it happened this week again. He stood out like a sore thumb in spite of the whole team being terrible. This was literally the most inept performance I've seen from a "professional" footballer, apart from, possibly, that time Gerrard came on and immediately got sent off for stamping on someone...but even that was a one off moment of twattery rather than a 90 minute encyclopedia of it.

Starting Maguire - Why, after the last two games, is Maguire still getting picked today? He is not fit. Firstly, I would say it isn't his fault, but why is he not fit? Not match fit I can understand, but he is SO off the pace he is simply not fit in the professional athlete sense. He is paid hundreds of thousands a week not to turn up and perform like someone who exercises less than I do. Yet he cannot, over 2 months into the season, even do that. More to the point, WHY is this not being picked up by the management? He was clearly not fit on Wednesday and it cost us 2 goals. He was clearly not fit the week before and it cost us 3, arguably 4 goals. Is this just pure jokes from Ole at this point? why are you picking someone who you know there is a good chance will cost you 4 goals in a game? Get to feck. This is a sackable offnce on its own because it is SO incompetent it is beyond belief. No one can tell me they watched Maguire against Leicester and Atalanta and thought "yeah, he's in a fit state to play against Liverpool" The only reason I wasn't utterly shocked he was playing is because Ole is our manager. One of our players could literally spend the game cartwheeling round the touchline in a clown suit and he still wouldn't notice they were doing anything wrong.

Pogba - What was that? Remember when Bissaka did something about half as bad and there was a massive thread on here about how it proves he's rubbish at football? Pogba does or nearly does this nearly every game. So he's what, much worse at football than Bissaka? Or is he just an idiot.

Ole - I was going to have a massive rant but I'll keep this short...what were people expecting him to be able to progress us to after last season? He could not win a Europa League against a mid table Spanish side, with a squad of players who'd have looked less out of place in the Champions League final. He at that point had been making the same mistakes game after game. The most basic of errors like picking injured players, playing people in positons they can't play, etc. What difference did anyone expect to see in his management just from us signing some more players. This is like trying to fix the fact your pilot can't fly a plane, by buying a more expensive plane.
Thanks for posting your Maguire observations which has saved me doing similar.
I've never been a big fan of his even on the rare occurrences he plays well,he could do with being benched for a month or so and stripped of the captaincy.Has no idea how to organise our defence and has the communication skills of a mute.

Vaibhav Raj

What hurts a bit was the fact that, in the first half, our attacking players managed to get into some decent attacking positions yet any such advancement was completely overshadowed by the calamity at the back. We won possession a few times high up the pitch and Liverpool looked casual with their approach. They were there for the taking but our defenders lost us this game and by some margin. Once it was 3-0, Liverpool begun playing with their tails up and improved a lot on the ball.

Godfather

Souness and Carragher are speaking a lot of sense.

Neville though. He thinks Ole shouldnt get the sack nor he should get new assistants..
Madness.
He's hopeless. I wish he'd just shut up about us as log as one of his mates is manager. Or at last admit that he is no position to comment on the matter as he's biased

Abhi

The biggest mistake was to not reinforce our midfield, For the balance of the team, we need to try and play with 4-3-3 and not play Bruno in the number 10 position.

PaulRich

Lets be honest - this has been coming for a while now, it just happened to be Liverpool.

If Norwich City had turned up yesterday and had the plums to employ a press they'd have come away with a result.

Ole is on borrowed time because this is as bad as its ever been post SAF

Real Name

He's hopeless. I wish he'd just shut up about us as log as one of his mates is manager. Or at last admit that he is no position to comment on the matter as he's biased
I dont even know what does he want, mean, whats his conclusion. Everything is bad but keep the manager, keep the assistants.

Souness though, hate the guy but he's speaking so much sense. You dont learn your trade for 3 years in a club like United. Carragher saying United should have the best, that includes the managers.
Ex Liverpool legends saying far, far more sense than an United one.
As you said he's beyond hopeless.

Ixion

1. Shaw
  2. Fred
  3. Maguire
  4. McTominay
  5. Pogba
  6. Wan-Bissaka
  7. Matic
  8. Lindelof
  9. Bailly
  10. Dalot
  11. Lingard
  12. Mata
  13. Martial
I've been saying this squad isn't nearly as good as people suggest. Looking good on paper doesn't mean shit (though it could be performing better than running around like headless chickens).

Which isn't an excuse for Ole, he's the one that has been lauded for putting it together and spent 400 million on it.

Souness and Carragher are speaking a lot of sense.

Neville though. He thinks Ole shouldnt get the sack nor he should get new assistants..
Madness.
He was embarrassing himself on there. A manager with a better CV isn't the answer because of Van Gaal and Mourinho, and coaches with more experience arent the answer because we have Mike Phelan. Get real Gary.

Talisker

Neville got a proper mauling there from Souness who didn't even have to play his trump card - Pogba

Sviken

Neville got a proper mauling there from Souness who didn't even have to play his trump card - Pogba
It's insane that Souness and Carragher sound more like United fans than Neville does. He makes a fool of himself jus so he doesn't insult his mates, but there should be a balance to this. Sure, don't call for their job, but at least admit that on some level Souness and Carragher are right and there needs to be a lot of improving on the coaching part. What's also annoying as hell is that Neville is the last person that should be talking about giving a manager more time. The guy has an itchier trigger finger when it comes to managers than even Roman does. Absolute clown, through an through, and i'm seriously starting to dislike him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Starting Maguire - Why, after the last two games, is Maguire still getting picked today? He is not fit. Firstly, I would say it isn't his fault, but why is he not fit? Not match fit I can understand, but he is SO off the pace he is simply not fit in the professional athlete sense. He is paid hundreds of thousands a week not to turn up and perform like someone who exercises less than I do. Yet he cannot, over 2 months into the season, even do that. More to the point, WHY is this not being picked up by the management? He was clearly not fit on Wednesday and it cost us 2 goals. He was clearly not fit the week before and it cost us 3, arguably 4 goals. Is this just pure jokes from Ole at this point? why are you picking someone who you know there is a good chance will cost you 4 goals in a game? Get to feck. This is a sackable offnce on its own because it is SO incompetent it is beyond belief. No one can tell me they watched Maguire against Leicester and Atalanta and thought "yeah, he's in a fit state to play against Liverpool" The only reason I wasn't utterly shocked he was playing is because Ole is our manager. One of our players could literally spend the game cartwheeling round the touchline in a clown suit and he still wouldn't notice they were doing anything wrong.
I mean he's still injured isn't he? From the Villa game, where he got injured and still for some reason was allowed to hobble around the pitch like a complete twat for a further 10 minutes - presumably because Ole hates substitutions.

He shouldn't be getting picked, but we live in a world where unless your leg is literally dangling off your body, Ole will play you... because injuries aren't a real thing apparently.

But yeah, take Maguire out of the team in the last 3 games and we probably avoid conceding about 8 of the goals we've conceded.

Jacko21

Morning after the night before.

Defeats leave wounds and some cause scars.

What a ride it has been since Sir Alex retried.

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 424 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Man Utd 1:3 Liverpool
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool