PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Mon, 22 August 2022

eire-red

Atmosphere sounded electric, really looked like the players fed off of it.

Massive shift from all the squad. If I had to be overly critical I would say that if we had a bit more composure we could have put Liverpool to the sword before they got one back.

stw2022

Varane, Martinez, Malacia.

First names on team sheet every week please

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What a difference aggression makes. An aggressive centre back and left back pushes the team forward. We need more of that in other positions now. No way does Shaw or Maguire walk back into this side.

RomfordRed75

I don't think I've been this emotional after a game for a long time. Special mention to Malacia and Martinez who were fantastic. Now let's carry this forward to Saturday.

TrueRed79

Didn't expect that to be honest. Top drawer. That's the benchmark. That's the standard. They simply cannot drop below that.

BestRed

feckin loved that, the fight in the team was beautiful to see. Martinez & Malacias performances bode well for the players the manager is trying to bring in.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Now that's a massive win! Loved seeing every single player working their ass off for 90min.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I've had a rough few weeks of late and all I wanted was a performance.

The win was a beautiful bonus.

Spirit, fight, energy, desire, quality. Now imagine that but with a couple more talented players. Casemiro comes into this side ffs.

steffyr2

Maguire is in trouble.
I asked somewhere mid game whether the problem is Liverpool, or if the Utd had just stopped making incredibly stupid mistakes. It looked to me like the problem was Liverpool. No attack. They reminded me of the game where Utd crossed the ball 40 times back in the day.
Anyway -- great to see!

Walters_19_MuFc

So proud of the boys. Ran their socks off which is a must, especially in the modern game. Two very well taken goals and a deserved win.

Buzzing!

King Eric 7

We've been Meme United this season. Games like this can put that to bed and kickstart the season.

roseguy64

That's exactly what we needed. These are good players. They just needed to act like it.

Now let's do that again and again. With the talent in the squad and with commitment like that we'll beat most teams.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Such a good performance. Just goes to show how far a bit of hard work and effort on the field goes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don't think I've been this emotional after a game for a long time. Special mention to Malacia and Martinez who were fantastic. Now let's carry this forward to Saturday.
Same! I feel oddly emotional, what's happening? :lol:

stu_1992

Great win! What a relief at the end there but we were great. That's the type of fight and determination that we haven't seen in so long. We need more of it and it'll be difficult to do against "smaller" teams but it's necessary.

Delighted for Sancho and Rashford to score. Martinez, Malacia and Fernandes were all excellent too. Martinez probably MOTM.

DavidDeSchmikes

Hopefully this is where our season starts, and tonight is the springboard. Same performance and effort against Southampton please
Buzzing tonight.
The passion, effort, cohesion etc was there tonight (unlike the Brighton and Brentford games)
Tbh wasn't expecting tonight, and Casemiro (and Anthony) still to come in

Martinez, Malacia, Varane were standout performances
Pleased for Rashford with him scoring, had a better 2nd half

LET'S FECKING GO!!

Chairman Steve

All of ETH’s signings looked good. Balls of steel with that selection and fully vindicated.

Relfy

Mad how players actually playing like they give a hoot feels so refreshing. Great performance and result. Liverpool we’re a bit meh, but we did well, we’re better over the game and deserved that. Erik will breathe a sigh of relief for the first win and getting the call right to bench Ronaldo and Maguire. More please.

Rustyspider13

Massive result for the team and Ten Hag. Effort and desire, that's all we ask every game. Dalot and Malacia should have no chance against Diaz and Salah, but they outworked Pool, never gave up even if they were beaten and we come away with a win. All of the back 4 were warriors tonight, Martinez especially. If we don't sign a RB, this should be our first choice defense.

Props to EtH, I said timing of subs will be key and he managed it beautifully. We should've been 3-0 up if Bruno and Rashford bothered to find Martial. But overall can't fault them too much as Rashford took his chance very well and Bruno was an absolute workhorse for 90 mins.

Wonderful performance. This needs to be the galvanizing result that brings this team together. Anyone not with the program needs to feck off from the club, there's still a week left.

forevrared

Rashford winner against the Scouse. The Caf in shambles.

fecking get in!!

Maguire will need an injury or suspension to get back in this side. Likewise for Shaw. Onward and upwards!

Real Name

That's what I wanted. Thats what we all wanted. To see them play with passion, confidence, grit, to show how much it means to wear an United shirt, and what a game against Them means to the fans.
They gave it a go from the 1st minuted and really rattled them .

We were 1st for every ball, pressed them high, didnt give them time to breathe and to have the ball. They were tottally toothless and we looked dangerous in nearly every attacked. Defense was sniffing all danger, midfield was doing their thing and attack was constantly dangerous.
Near the end of the 1st half we fell a bit and they got hold of the ball although they werent exactly dangerous.
Luckily we started the 2nd actively and were even better in parts. I was really afraid they might score a 2nd, goal they wouldn't really deserve but luckily they didint.

We deserved the victory.
Eth is the man, we need to get behing this, he made big calls already, dropping Shaw, Maguire, Ronaldo, blueprint how he wants us to play is obvious. Pressing was really good today but we werent shy of trying to unlock them on the counter too or with early balls over the top. It just shows he can adapt our play and I'm excited to see us play.

Martinez and Varane should absolutely be our CB pairing. Varane was nicely cleaning all danger in front of goal and Martinez cut their attacks from the of. Plus he's a crazy Argie, has tenacity about them and I like how he rattled Salah in the 1st minute and later Milner. Elanga was dangerous, maybe he isnt technically very good but he was a constant danger with his speed, pluss assisted. Sancho was Sancho we wanted to buy, was everywhere, constantly on the move, beautifuly taken goal. Fell of a bit in the 2nd which is understandable.
Malacia was very good too, great defensively, active forward, Shaw should be cemented on the bench really. Eriksen kept it nice and simple and had us ticking. Bruno had some dangerous misplaced passed but was one of our best players and it looked like he really wanted it out there.

I'm so chuffed for Rashford. He was trying and trying, in the 1st it didnt go according to plan but after well taken goal he was fantastic. Might be finding his groove back. Martial's introduction made a change too, beautiful assist for the 2nd and lovely one twos with the teammates, thing he loves to do. Dalot gave it a go too, tormented Diaz all throughout.

Anyway lads its a great, truly great feeling. :)

Dread Devil

Felt like the early 90s…intense atmosphere….best I have heard from Old Trafford on tv in a while…, under the cosh at times but we got through it….loved Martinez and Malacias desire, Varane was up for it too….everyone played their part..Martial was great when he came on…. Massive shout to the fans before hand for marching and creating the atmosphere….

Strelok

Win or not even if we lose I'm really happy with the performance today. Show a lot of heart and guts. Simply fantastic :devil:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Man when Rashford’s shot hit the net! Cat still traumatized

Blood Mage

Keeping Varane fit will be crucial this season. A fecking disgrace that he was sat on the bench, he's one of the best CBs in the world ffs but we were desperate to prove that Maguire wasn't a massive waste of money I guess.

Martinez was immense. Him and Varane looked so solid at the back. Also Malacia. Put Casemiro in that team and we won’t be conceding as many chances. Happy for Rashford also. He needs some confidence.

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 583 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 0:5 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool