PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 December 2023

croadyman

We restored some pride after last two seasons at Anfield. Loving the piss that performance boiled with the ABU'S too. Think Rasmus takes that chance IF he had some league goals behind him.

Dr Foo

Just think, if Hojlund was a bit more experienced, we could have walked away with all 3 pts.
Yea… I have a lot of sympathies for the lad. For the amount we spent, it should have been for a more experienced striker, who would likely have pulled the trigger.

Sea-Cow

If you step back and think for a second, it is very depressing to be so happy with a nil-nil draw where we were clearly second best. But, seeing Klopp and VVD both crying about it makes it totally worth it. What a sad bunch they are.

Sea-Cow

What in earth was that all about when Shaw did a run of the mill trip on Konate?…half their team steaming in, the desperate cnuts.
Haha I agree, they all went mental! I was expecting the replay to show a leg-breaker, and there was nothing in it.

Also, am I wrong in that Hanible was fouled right before that and we got nothing?

stoinz

Our anticipation for second balls were really bad. Other than Varane, it seemed anticipation for second balls are always too slow. Whenever there is a loose ball, you can see a Liverpool player already sprinting towards it before our player even spotted it. Varane's anticipation in the box was absolutely world class.

The other thing I realized was how easy our players got muscled off the ball and no fouls were given. This is not just this one match seemed like a recurring theme.

But all in all good point. Please Varane stay fit.

Ghirahim

Poor performance from both teams, but a draw is a good result for United.

oz insomniac

Did McTominlay actually do something in the game to be noticed, he has had the 1 game in 10 where he contributes, just not worth including him. Baffling really, guess he’s the worlds best trainer, as he offers so little during any game.

LDUred

Getting tired of Ten Hag's passivity with the press. He should be having a pop back at Donkey Teeth and taking aim at PGMOL.

Something like, 'We've come here with half a squad and a kid in midfield, but I think we should have finished off the two excellent chances we had when through on goal. I don't remember a clear cut chance Liverpool had. And do you want to explain to me how that's a sending off, when Nunez and Salah don't get punished for worse?'

The players want to know that their manager has got their back but it's radio silence.

Last edited:

Red & White

I think most reasonable posters would say was a really good point, and an exceptional shut out job.
Whilst still being aware we're well off where we'd like to be.
Yes, I agree. It is universally accepted that we’re some way off where we’d like to be and it has been for many years. I just don’t understand why we need to revisit that fact after every game, particularly ones where we’ve had some fight and achieved a good result. It’s like people don’t understand why our fortunes haven’t completely reversed after one (very tough) away game. I just found it strange.

Lexicon Red Devil

Did McTominlay actually do something in the game to be noticed, he has had the 1 game in 10 where he contributes, just not worth including him. Baffling really, guess he’s the worlds best trainer, as he offers so little during any game.
He created the best chance of the game for Højlund and made a couple of decent runs. We all know what he can and can't do by now, so may as well just accept it until we bring in an upgrade. We have bigger problems than McTominay at the moment that's for sure.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Our anticipation for second balls were really bad. Other than Varane, it seemed anticipation for second balls are always too slow. Whenever there is a loose ball, you can see a Liverpool player already sprinting towards it before our player even spotted it. Varane's anticipation in the box was absolutely world class.

The other thing I realized was how easy our players got muscled off the ball and no fouls were given. This is not just this one match seemed like a recurring theme.

But all in all good point. Please Varane stay fit.
Absolutely spot on. It's something I've noticed for a while.
It seems like our players are always on the back foot, seemingly surprised when the ball comes towards them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There was no honour in that result. It just shows how far we’ve fallen when we go to Anfield and park the bus.
We did it loads of times under Fergie. 1-0 away wins are how you win titles. Our problem is our forwards are poor, but setting up to be solid in defence and counter attacking is a perfectly normal way to play in a hostile ground against good opposition. We could have nicked it too, had one or two great chances.

Overhaul FC

Varane and Onana showed their class. They kept us calm at the back.

Finally we looked better with two CDMs. That better be here to stay.

Bruno has to play with two CDMs behind him and not McTominay. Only then could we get somewhere. Ten Hag better not go back to his 4141 B.S.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
They expected a walkthrough and for us to crumble. Fair fecks to the boys for not buckling under the pressure. Varane and Evans were immense. Onana calming everyone down at every opportunity. Mainoo has ice in his veins.

Wish Garnacho and/or Hojlund would've scored, would've been a great result

RopersReturn

In any other circumstance I’d have been very disappointed but realising the state we’re in am just relieved we held them to a draw. This is progress.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

So was I, felt with a bit more pace on the counter there were more opportunities to be had. Utd created the best/more clear cut scoring chances.

Genuinely think they underestimated Utd today and thought this was going to be a piece of piss.

People will also look at the stats and xg, but most of their shots were from range or efforts from set pieces, their finishing from open play was poor, everytime they had a shot commentary seemed to say "you'd want someone else coming onto that". They didn't trouble Onana with a decent save at all.
True, but quite a lot of goals happen from chances that weren't big to begin with. For example, both of City's goals in the FA cup final. All it takes is a lucky hit or a lucky deflection. Give an opponent 34 of them, and you're lucky not to concede.

edgecutter

The result is what matters, but that was another poor performance. Liverpool were there for the taking, but you can forgive that with the options we had.

That said, if ETH goes back to the same midfield that played against Bournemouth then he has to go. McTominay needs to be benched against west ham and Bruno moved back to the 10 position.

GregM40

Take the result all day long, few positives… Kobbie was fantastic, can anyone argue he isn’t already our best midfielder? Team have proved they can follow instructions (although that suggests they’ve been following very poor ones all season)… Ten Hag avoids the Anfield death rattle… and we didn’t get battered!

Need to build from this, put some graft in against West Ham next week.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I looked at their starting 11 and, particularly, their bench, and didn't see anyone, apart from Salah and Alisson that I take over what we already have.
I thought similar and said so before the match. Their players are massively over rated

Jeffthered

Poor performance from both teams, but a draw is a good result for United.
This.

I'm pleased that we were organised, more so than I have seen all season. But we played little football.

Mainoo, Varane and Evans were excellent. Amrabat and SMT were better, a good game for the both of them.

Bruno doesn't play next game imo. This first XI should be our starting XI. We should aim to remain solid and keep that attitude. Not great to watch, but I would take this as a foundation.

Rasmus needs time, patience and a goal.

Alemar

I looked at their starting 11 and, particularly, their bench, and didn't see anyone, apart from Salah and Alisson that I take over what we already have.
Did you really watch the game? They’ve had quite a few decent players apart from Alisson and Salah, who would’ve been starting here

Hughie77

I've just watched it, and OK under the kosh which is expected at there place, J Evans was OK so was Varane.. imo we had the best clear cut chances , that pass from Mainoo to Garnacho, and TAA gets a toe on it.. and Hojlund hits the keeper..

Mainoo looked calm and this kid as long as his head don't go up his ass like some at Utd will be a very good player..

0-0 is a result no body likes but we take it,
The Ref was as usual a total homer, To send Dalot off for basically telling him its a Utd throw in..clear off Salah it's 94 mins they've defended well and he gets that wrong..

sugar_kane

Everyone connected to football - their fans, our fans, pundits, their players, probably our players too, thought we were getting a pasting yesterday.

Keane was spot on with the word 'arrogance'. It was oozing off them before and in the early stages of the game and you got the impression the home fans were licking their lips expecting United to get pummelled. Van Dijk's attitude after the game seemed to be frustration that we hadn't just turned up and rolled over. If the captain thought that, you can guarantee that attitude permeated the squad and despite Klopp's soundbites before the game I expected he thought similar.

The fact we didn't even come close to a pummeling is a credit to the players. I hope they can use this experience to rebuild their confidence, and I hope the manager makes the right tactical decisions to enable this, ie. not a single pivot + McTominay drifting off wherever he pleases which leaves us wide open.

AndySmith1990

Pretty poor game I thought. I didn't think we'd get battered like many predicted, but did expect a loss, so can't complain about the result.

Liverpool really aren't that impressive. If City don't go on their usual second half of the season winning run then it should be Arsenal's title

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
To think we could have won that game if our striker had a little bit of composure.

Regardless its a very good result. Couldn't have asked for more.

Chumpsbechumps

To think we could have won that game if our striker had a little bit of composure.

Regardless its a very good result. Couldn't have asked for more.
Some people dismiss whether we could have gotten Kane. I think he was attainable, Levy sells at the right price, that’s proven over his tenure beyond doubt.

But I think this is an example where book value and United balking at “going the extra mile” has cost is this season and in the past. ETH wanted Kane and he was given an unproven striker in a position we desperately need a proven striker.

For all the “ETH is doing this wrong” complaints , our squad is yet again well short of players in at least one position. People hung up on blaming managers just ignore the continual mismanagement and resourcing of the first team.

Devil77

Getting tired of Ten Hag's passivity with the press. He should be having a pop back at Donkey Teeth and taking aim at PGMOL.

Something like, 'We've come here with half a squad and a kid in midfield, but I think we should have finished off the two excellent chances we had when through on goal. I don't remember a clear cut chance Liverpool had. And do you want to explain to me how that's a sending off, when Nunez and Salah don't get punished for worse?'

The players want to know that their manager has got their back but it's radio silence.
You should apply for the role of speech writer for Ten Hag. The above would have been the perfect response.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 302 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Liverpool 4:0 Man Utd
  • 13% Liverpool 3:0 Man Utd