PL W FA Premier League

Luton Town 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 18 February 2024

ForeverRed1

What big chances did they have compared to United’s?

You can’t have watched that game and not thought United were the ones who should have been out of sight. As bad as periods were, we had chance after chance after chance to absolute bury them.
Oh absolutely we should have been out of sight really early on, but my point is should have been doesn’t cut it. We seem to get a slight cushion and get complacent. It’s happened time and time again and it isn’t sustainable. Eventually we’re going to come unstuck, like we have in previous games. We’re too wasteful and we’ll get punished against teams that can actually score.

why can’t we drum teams like Liverpool and Arsenal did on the weekend? It’s going to catch up with us and the fact they hit the cross bar in extra team makes it a let off for me.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Spot on. All Rashford did all game was lose the ball, feign injury and have one decent run and shot on target. I really do not like this Rashford.
Yeah this really pissed me off. Basically tried to get our player sent off. I don't know what the commentators said as the place I was watching it had Dutch commentary but I hope they ripped into him and called him out for trying to cheat.

An arm barely grazed his head and was clearly unintentional and he went down holding his head like he got shot by a sniper. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong (in which case, I apologise) but at the time, I was getting really annoyed.

United don't have to resort to that level of shit, they're good enough to win by skill.

Woziak

Ageed about performance. Not sure if Eriksen is the answer but he’ll definitely be more composed. Don’t agree about Casemiro thou.

One of the things great teams do is sell their best players at the right time both experienced and younger players. United lost so much by not selling martial 3-4 years ago when he was still a young player. Now the test is can we sell an experienced player like Bruno in the summer and get maximum returns. Basically do what United used to do under SAF before the Glazers arrived.
Casemiro last year was amazing but he’s declined significantly and if someone offers £40m and pays his wages you sell, as proven this season, this United side is too old, too beaten down, too many players who believe they are better than they actually are, right now only 36 year old Johnny Evans would be getting an extension to his one year contract, but it’s easier to say yes at 50k per week than 350k?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good showing - first ten minutes and second half. Scrappy in places: so much head tennis. Hope Shaw is okay. Rashford did okay, as did most of them. Good few mistakes, too. Second goal was well taken

mu4c_20le

Yeah this really pissed me off. Basically tried to get our player sent off. I don't know what the commentators said as the place I was watching it had Dutch commentary but I hope they ripped into him and called him out for trying to cheat.

An arm barely grazed his head and was clearly unintentional and he went down holding his head like he got shot by a sniper. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong (in which case, I apologise) but at the time, I was getting really annoyed.

United don't have to resort to that level of shit, they're good enough to win by skill.
He was trying to win a penalty, because he was obstructed from going after the ball. Probably accidental from the defender, but it could be argued that an advantage was gained.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Looked like a tiny glance and made a meal out of it ( i m o ).

Between this (did it v Villa… and I know lots of players do it) and his pressing, can’t say I’d be arsed if we sold him Summer.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
You would think we have just been stuffed 5-0 not won 4 on the bounce. State of some of the moaners on here. Luton are a good side at home and we beat them. Great 3 points.
Hojlund looks the real deal now. Mainoo is just class On the ball.
Luton had plenty of the ball but i didnt feel threatened.
I just put a few of them on ignore

cpresc

Oh absolutely we should have been out of sight really early on, but my point is should have been doesn’t cut it. We seem to get a slight cushion and get complacent. It’s happened time and time again and it isn’t sustainable. Eventually we’re going to come unstuck, like we have in previous games. We’re too wasteful and we’ll get punished against teams that can actually score.

why can’t we drum teams like Liverpool and Arsenal did on the weekend? It’s going to catch up with us and the fact they hit the cross bar in extra team makes it a let off for me.
That's just not what happened though is it...

We were absolutely on top of them, 2-0 up with flowing attacks

Their goal was a very unlucky combination of events - once they scored, the crowd got back into the game and it turned the momentum a little... yet, despite that, we held our nerve and took the 3 points.

Stop being so miserable and expectant.

Superden

Thought Mainoo was superb, the best game I’ve seen him have. Lovely, quick feet and the one player on the pitch who wasn’t rushed in possession. There should be a government enquiry if this kid doesn’t make the Euros squad, he’s sensational.
That was one or the best performances from a midfielder at utd in a long time...the number of times he kept possesion in tight areas was sensational..

Robindinho

We need to sell Bruno and Rashford.
Dropped for a few games will do for a start... Would like to see Eriksen at 10 and Amad get a chance over Rashford (him right, Garnacho left). At least the flow of games would be less hectic and we'd have more control/keep the ball better.

Clearly not going to happen though under EtH.

NLunited

Look at the replies to your post. It appears that your sarcasm was so subtle that it's non existent.

Getting back on topic.

I'm just relieved we got out of there with 3 points. Approaching the business end of the season, just need to keep picking up the points. I don't care about dominating or attractive football in our current situation.
I think the plan was to be as direct as possible, because of their high pressing. We did it but it was untidy.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Great win that at a tough Kenilworth Road. Nice to quieten the crowd early.
Hojlund must be one of hottest strikers now, what is that; 7 in 6 games? Great stuff. I’m glad he’s doing well and we’re climbing up the table,

JediSith

Casemiro last year was amazing but he’s declined significantly and if someone offers £40m and pays his wages you sell, as proven this season, this United side is too old, too beaten down, too many players who believe they are better than they actually are, right now only 36 year old Johnny Evans would be getting an extension to his one year contract, but it’s easier to say yes at 50k per week than 350k?
Yes. I agree a £40m offer for Casemiro is something we should accept. But only if we have clearly identified a superior replacement. He might not be as impactful as last year but he along with Martinez, Shaw, Varane are the 3 who most heavily influence our style of play.

Cantonagotmehere

[/QUOTE]

Understand the anger mate. Sadly happens in almost every match. I do not think this incident is extreme as you believe, but I know the feeling well.

lex talionis

Yes, we should jackhammered Luton but after it went funky when Luton scored we hung on while we were on the back foot and regained composure and control. What kept Luton alive was our poor finishing. In no way were they cutting through our defense.

BorisManUtd

So what? In most situations bicycle kicks fly over the bar for a goal kick. It doesn't devalue the goals when it comes off. Pressing the CB there doesn't have any downsides and if it's done consistently over the course of a season it will result in an extra goal or three, and the effort should be commended.
Agree. It's still a goal that came from a mistake and won't happen in most situations.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Agree. It's still a goal that came from a mistake and won't happen in most situations.
A large % of goals come from mistakes, quite often ours, the trick is to be in a position to take adavntage

BaguetteBoy

Yes, we should jackhammered Luton but after it went funky when Luton scored we hung on while we were on the back foot and regained composure and control. What kept Luton alive was our poor finishing. In no way were they cutting through our defense.
Stop this arrogance many went there City 1-2 Arsenal 3-4 Brighton got hammered 4-0 Newcastle 1-0 Liverpool 1-1.
certainly we started the match well. Created many chances but don’t sell Luton effort so short they have been good at home. Happy with the 3 points next game

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Positives;

Mainoo is class.
Varane and Dalot were decent
Rasmus is really developing well
Good result
Smart subs at half time

Negatives;

Bruno, rashford, casemiro and Maguire were awful.
We still play like strangers.
Our ball control and passing is terrible mainly due to those four players.

lex talionis

Stop this arrogance many went there City 1-2 Arsenal 3-4 Brighton got hammered 4-0 Newcastle 1-0 Liverpool 1-1.
certainly we started the match well. Created many chances but don’t sell Luton effort so short they have been good at home. Happy with the 3 points next game
I take your point but it is still a cause for concern that we let go of our grip.

croadyman

Scousers had Ian Broudie in the Director's Box at Luton whereas we had Harry Styles. Looking at the preview of today's papers that's had more headlines than the actual result of the match

DanishPastry

i see the same problem yesterday as i saw in many other matches, it is fun to hear our reporter talking about "they not lost with the setup as Højlund as striker and the wingers in the last xxxx amount of games"

Højlund yes scores again, but without any actual assists, the Garnacho one was again him taking a chance and missing it, and the first one was created by himself.
Bruno did nothing really right in this game, Garnacho was just a giant waste..

and i so much disagree with putting in McTominay even though he has been lucky getting goals, i would have put in Eriksen, the problems was not really defense even though i just look horrific, it was simple ball intelligence. and an ability to "slow" the game a bit.

Man Utd right now, a 2-0 lead just never feels safe. it does not look like a "looking" up the table competitor, so many of the games just feels like lucky wins. and it is wierd, because the couple of minutes Man Utd, just dominated everything just worked. then okay we are up 2, now I want to shine, instead of i want the TEAM to shine, so everyone just wanted to make them self look better, so it just ended in dribbling and runs.

of course had rashford had a bit better shooting, it would have been 3-0 before 2-1 but still.

not a pretty game, and it does not bode well for getting close to champions league. had Luton been just a bit better, this would not have been a win...

For me the lowest rated player on the field was Garnacho, then to be honest, Maguire was short after, i hate that Casemiro and Shaw seemed to get close to the reds, always feel Shaw makes the game better. i think i am most dissapointed in Bruno, to be honest, he should be the "big man" in these games, also as a captain, he has just been very "not visible" in many of these last matches. at least he does not run around and moan as much as he used too.

Reactions: Jippy

dogwithabone

McTominay was awful yesterday, players were just running off him and his tracking back was pants. The amount of times both Villa and Luton players had time to line up shots from 18-20 yards out is alarming. Ok, they didn’t ultimately come too much but we have to get tighter.

justsomebloke

We worryingly lost concentration and ceded the initiative for the last 30 minutes of the first half, but all in all, that was a very solid win - it was much closer to a 2 or 3-goal win than a draw, considering the chances we created in the second half. It's still not looking altogether pretty (once more, our passing accuracy was a particular sore point, and we are still backing up too much when under pressure), but it was solid.

Højlund had an exceptional game - not just two goals, but also more involved on the ball than usually. For me, Rashford also deserves a lot of praise for this one, that's the best we've seen him in a long time. All that was missing was a goal or assist. Shaw very good while it lasted, Varane and Evans both very solid defensively and Mainoo influential across the midfield, for him too one of the best performances this season.

Then it gets a bit more iffy. Lindelof is clearly out of place on left back, really struggled to contain Ogbene and offered nothing on the ball. Maguire started well, but really unravelled in the second half of the first. Dalot, who's been quietly having a very strong run since christmas, really did not have a good game - reverted to old bad habits with passive defending and not much to offer going forward. He turned up out of nowhere at the tip of our counterattack to get a couple of great opportunities (especially the one where he received an unreal, brilliant long pass from Onana), which may be some new tactical move perhaps - but he failed miserably with both chances. Casemiro was back at his lower level - not many more positives than negatives, and a fairly weak game. Garnacho worked and worked, but didn't succeed with much. Bruno had an incredibly weak and nondescript first half, but came alive in the second. Barely more than an okayish performance all in all.

ForeverRed1

That's just not what happened though is it...

We were absolutely on top of them, 2-0 up with flowing attacks

Their goal was a very unlucky combination of events - once they scored, the crowd got back into the game and it turned the momentum a little... yet, despite that, we held our nerve and took the 3 points.

Stop being so miserable and expectant.
Miserable and expectant ?:lol: What a load of BS. We have to get much better and that’s coming from someone who is pro ETH and have been all the way. I want him to keep his job and get the backing. No rose tinted glasses here. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn’t make me expectant at all. The opposite actually.

before we win major trophies, we got to play better football. It’s that simple. Take your head out the sand and admit we’re playing below parr, despite the results.

the players and the manager can all acknowledge that, feck all wrong with having that opinion.

vanrooney

I don't understand this statement. Top 4 isn't the goal. As a club, we have a decision to make on Ten Haag. We cannot be in this situation next season, so we need to assess if Ten Haag is good enough to take us where we need to go. We can only go off performance as tools of assessments. We allow too many chances and don't control games which is why on average we have conceded more chances than oppositions compared to what we create and average 51% possession. This doesn't scream sustainability and doesn't present potential to challenge for the league.

Comparatively Liverpool in 16/17 averaged 58% possession, with 16.8 shots per game, scored 78 goals, with a goal difference of +36, with 6.2 shots on target per game (which is high) and allowing only 8.2 shots per game. These are top tier and indicate a team that had the quality to challenge.

City in 16/17 scored 80 goals with +41 goal difference, averaging 60.9% possession with 16.7 shots per game (5.7 on target) and allowed only 7.9 shots per game. 80 points and +40 goal difference are title winning/challenging numbers on average.

United this season are on pace to score 53 goals. We have +1 goal difference, we average 50.8% possession, with 14.5 shots per game (4.8 on target) , whilst allowing 16 shots per game.

These are raw numbers. The eye test will tell you we've had about 3 comfortable wins all season in all competitions. How and why should we trust that this will turn around to success with no evidence. As a club with means and expectations, why should we allow ourselves to simply hope for better.
stats and comparisons can be very misleading. in fact we are doing quite well considering the amount of injuriers we had this season. even now one of our most important players is missing and we are no city that has a perfect squad, as we had no plan for ages doing transfers. thats not all on eth and i think he will florish with a professional setting that will come with ineos. just wait and see where we are in two years. i think we will be back on top

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Brilliant for the first 15 minutes, terrible for the next 30 but pretty much untroubled in the second half. Did Onana make a serve after half time? Scotty McT and Evans (so much better than Maguire) made a huge difference and I guess ETH gambled to wait until half time to make changes because of that weird rule about doing it in lumps...

Bruno improved (a bit) after half time and did some good tracking back, he was woeful in the first half. Garno had a pretty good game and worried their defence, another fantastic showing from Rasmus and Varane won countless headers a Luton pushed for an equaliser. Amrabat possible had his most effective game for us. Even Lindelof was OK but we all know he isn't a full back.

Negatives: another anonymous performance from rashford... we miss too many really good chances (and it's why I said during the game that Arsenal and City would have been out of sight if they had those) and Onana is still nowhere near good enough for me.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
3 points and move on.
What concerns me most is that I struggle to remember when we were in control of a game.
And that is the responsibility of every player to improve their ball control and passing.
As a result we struggle to dictate play with the consequence that we are constantly having to react rather than being proactive.

redmanx

Hojlund, Garnacho, Dalot as well. No reason to be so extreme.
Fair enough, theyve all been brilliant, but I singled out Mainoo as he only became a regular a couple of months ago and his appearances have coincided with a real upturn in this seasons performances.

Maticmaker

It was a better result than many are giving us credit for. At home Luton are the equivalent football 'berserkers'. Whether they are losing 4-0 or winning 4-0 they will keep on coming at you, that is the reality of their home game attitude.
We played really well for 10-15 mins at 0-2 had Marcus, instead of trying for goal himself had put through any of the three unmarked team mates either side of him. We would have had half a chance to dull Luton's edge.
Really good result

tomaldinho1

Fair enough, theyve all been brilliant, but I singled out Mainoo as he only became a regular a couple of months ago and his appearances have coincided with a real upturn in this seasons performances.
It was supposed to be a transition season and it's proving to be just that. Some real bright sparks are emerging in the youngsters and it's clear we have the blueprints of a team growing now. Whether that team and the plan ETH has is good enough remains to be seen but we are very much in the CL hunt.

The White Pele

I would have taken a 2-1 at Luton a few weeks ago and to be honest I would have taken it before the game because it always felt like this could be a potential banana skin.

I think with the context of us going 2-0 up in 10 minutes it feels like another frustrating game and probably more so because it’s 3 away games in a row now where we’ve taken the lead in the first half and then lost our way.

Still, I’m not sure many other teams have taken or will take 9 points from Wolves, Villa and Luton away this season so we should consider that a good job well done.

We could really do with a comfortable win and a more convincing performance against Fulham at home now and then maybe we can all see this little run for what it is: maximum points from some tricky little fixtures.

Jeffthered

Thought Mainoo was superb, the best game I’ve seen him have. Lovely, quick feet and the one player on the pitch who wasn’t rushed in possession. There should be a government enquiry if this kid doesn’t make the Euros squad, he’s sensational.
I didn't see the game, only highlights but I listened to live commentary, and it sounded a very open game in which Luton probably deserved a point. I like Mainoo, he is talented and an important young prospect for us... but our midfield is so, so open.. it was noted during commentary, the highlights too.. we have no control over games. How many shots did Luton have?

A good defensive midfielder provides control.. he's probably too young to expect too much, but conversly, suggestions that he is an 'elite' midfielder' and should make England squad are a little premature. I'm still not sure how he plays: is he a ball-winner, hunting players down? A passer? Does he control the tempo of our play? A dribbler, technician ( ie Modric..).

This personality will emerge, undoubtedly, but lets give him some time. Casimero should be guiding him.

IRN-BRUno

Luton are such a competitive side, they very rarely let anyone have an easy game so I think just getting the win was the most important thing. They had a lot of shots but none of them really stuck out as great chances whereas we missed several clear ones. Fair result in the end.

Aside from Hojlund and Mainoo being the obvious standouts, Evans did very well after coming on.

OldTrevil

The only time I felt Luton got the better of United and could cut through us at any moment was during the second part of the first half, otherwise we contained their possession and created far better chances for most of the game. Even though you want to win with more ease, we totally deserved the 3 points and a draw would have flattered Luton despite all their possession.

croadyman

3 points and move on.
What concerns me most is that I struggle to remember when we were in control of a game.
And that is the responsibility of every player to improve their ball control and passing.
As a result we struggle to dictate play with the consequence that we are constantly having to react rather than being proactive.
Yeah the lack of control is a major concern and something we won't get away with against the likes of City,scousers,Brighton,Newcastle and Arsenal

Redfrog

Exactly my point

A game highlighted by several missed chances, and ultimately we were very lucky we didn't need to put them away
Or Luton was lucky we don’t put them away. But that depends if you see the glass half full or half empty I suppose.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw