PL W FA Premier League

Luton Town 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 18 February 2024

erikcred

What an embarrassment. Liverpool, Cheaty and Arsenal rolled over them easily with big scorelines, while we are completely outplayed by fecking Luton.

Seriously though, we have not quite turned the corner yet despite winning 4 in a row.

We lose the ball too easily and missed too many chances. Liverpool got one up against Brentford like we did, with some luck, and saw them off.

We need to become more tidy and ruthless.
My man, Liverpool needed an injury time equalizer there and ended up drawing.

Arsenal needed an injury time winner.

City were struggling before eventually winning by a goal.

Scanny

always thought our fan base would be more sensible but i should have known better when people were criticizing SAF in the later years when we "only" won 1-0. nowadays its sadly clear to see that our fan base is the same as everyones else. depressing how negative people are on here. i wonder why some even bother watching the team as it seems to give them no pleasure, even if we win, are on a good run and will get 4th or 5th and CL - i am sure of that. With ineos shaking it up, building a professional structure again, there is enough to be positive about.
Never assume the loudest are the majority. Some people take the sensible approach and steer clear of knee-jerk social media reactions.
Decent 3 points today.

JB7

Almost as if these clowns just chat utter shite without actually looking at what they are saying or using whatever limited brain capacity they have to think about it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
A win is a win, though we had some work out of it. Luton has the 3rd most goals allowed this season and outside of the first 8 mins, we did not capitalize.

Too much giving away the ball outside out own penalty box. Need to be a bit more disciplined.
Couple of straight forward chances fluffed. Rashy, Bruno a bit rusty, predictably.
Shaw did ok, but otherwise CB pairing looks shaky and slow.

Top 6 is well and good, but top 4 is certainly within reach.

LDUred

Yes and then I’ve no idea why advantage was played when a free kick would have been the better result for United.
Especially when the player would have had to have been booked as well. He hauled Mainoo down to stop him from shooting.

SMS1969

It’s been a tough place to go all season, no different today. We didn’t help ourselves at times, but take the 3 points and move onwards and upwards. Things have improved since Jim has appeared.

Roosney

Only saw the last 20mins but we looked pretty solid. None of Luton's attacks caused us any problems really, no squeaky bum time at all.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Really fun game today.

Impressed with Luton, such a gutsy team

Cpt Negative

Bar a shit show for 30 minutes in the first half, we were very potent upfront today and created a lot of chances. Certainly can’t remember the last time we had 3 one on one in the same game.

this team has a mentality problem at 2 goals up it seems, seems like we switch off and start trying to stat pad rather than put the game to bed.

Wolves (twice) galatasaray, Copenhagen, Newport we go 2 goals up and somehow get pegged back

Only twice all season (league) have we gone 2 up and gone on to get a third and win to nil (West Ham and Everton)

we have a decent team if a) everyone is fit and b) we kill teams off.

also thought the ref lost control of the game today. Seem to remember about 3 Luton players asking for Casemiro to be sent off - no card. Second half we get a dubious offside call for us and Woodrow and Morris went mad at the Lino, Woodrow, no second yellow

all you’ll hear about all week is Casemiro not getting sent off though

NLunited

I guess the sarcasm was lost on you :lol:

tjb

always thought our fan base would be more sensible but i should have known better when people were criticizing SAF in the later years when we "only" won 1-0. nowadays its sadly clear to see that our fan base is the same as everyones else. depressing how negative people are on here. i wonder why some even bother watching the team as it seems to give them no pleasure, even if we win, are on a good run and will get 4th or 5th and CL - i am sure of that. With ineos shaking it up, building a professional structure again, there is enough to be positive about.
I don't understand this statement. Top 4 isn't the goal. As a club, we have a decision to make on Ten Haag. We cannot be in this situation next season, so we need to assess if Ten Haag is good enough to take us where we need to go. We can only go off performance as tools of assessments. We allow too many chances and don't control games which is why on average we have conceded more chances than oppositions compared to what we create and average 51% possession. This doesn't scream sustainability and doesn't present potential to challenge for the league.

Comparatively Liverpool in 16/17 averaged 58% possession, with 16.8 shots per game, scored 78 goals, with a goal difference of +36, with 6.2 shots on target per game (which is high) and allowing only 8.2 shots per game. These are top tier and indicate a team that had the quality to challenge.

City in 16/17 scored 80 goals with +41 goal difference, averaging 60.9% possession with 16.7 shots per game (5.7 on target) and allowed only 7.9 shots per game. 80 points and +40 goal difference are title winning/challenging numbers on average.

United this season are on pace to score 53 goals. We have +1 goal difference, we average 50.8% possession, with 14.5 shots per game (4.8 on target) , whilst allowing 16 shots per game.

These are raw numbers. The eye test will tell you we've had about 3 comfortable wins all season in all competitions. How and why should we trust that this will turn around to success with no evidence. As a club with means and expectations, why should we allow ourselves to simply hope for better.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What an embarrassment. Liverpool, Cheaty and Arsenal rolled over them easily with big scorelines, while we are completely outplayed by fecking Luton.

Seriously though, we have not quite turned the corner yet despite winning 4 in a row.

We lose the ball too easily and missed too many chances. Liverpool got one up against Brentford like we did, with some luck, and saw them off.

Can you cut the Cheaty out please, it's making us look like 10 year-olds.

Redstain

Almost as if these clowns just chat utter shite without actually looking at what they are saying or using whatever limited brain capacity they have to think about it.
True but the narrative of United this season isn't one that's changing. It's poor individual aspects of a performance, the team under the managers instructions not doing enough to cause separation in quality from the opposition and there's this fumbling over the line for results. It's not sustainable and it's not something the manager or the players can build from because there's fragility around being consistent all evident in the context of the performances.

SirScholes

Bar a shit show for 30 minutes in the first half, we were very potent upfront today and created a lot of chances. Certainly can’t remember the last time we had 3 one on one in the same game.

this team has a mentality problem at 2 goals up it seems, seems like we switch off and start trying to stat pad rather than put the game to bed.

Wolves (twice) galatasaray, Copenhagen, Newport we go 2 goals up and somehow get pegged back

Only twice all season (league) have we gone 2 up and gone on to get a third and win to nil (West Ham and Everton)

we have a decent team if a) everyone is fit and b) we kill teams off.

also thought the ref lost control of the game today. Seem to remember about 3 Luton players asking for Casemiro to be sent off - no card. Second half we get a dubious offside call for us and Woodrow and Morris went mad at the Lino, Woodrow, no second yellow

all you’ll hear about all week is Casemiro not getting sent off though
To be fair he should of been off so let’s just call that one evens

Oranges038

That's just not true.

Liverpool just about got out of there with a 1-1 draw in the last minute.

Man City beat them 2-1, coming from 1-0 down.

Arsenal got through 4-3 after going ahead twice and coming back from 3-2 down to win.

Newcastle lost 1-0.

Spurs scraped a 1-0 win.

Chelsea went 3-0 up and just about came out with a 3-2 win.

It's not an easy place to go and get a result, Utd should have been 3 or 4 up after 15 minutes, but as usual chance after chance gets wasted through poor passing and decision making. Then it's 1 chance and a goal for the opposition before this lot lose their heads and focus and everything goes to shit.

spiriticon

Our performances are terrible but we're winning now so that's good I guess.

Woziak

I would love to be so optimistic to think we could get anything like that for them. Maybe £75m. But you never know I guess, Liverpool got what £55m for two utterly finished players in Henderson and Fabinho.
We turned town £100m in the summer down for Bruno, Madness?

Oranges038

We need to sell Bruno and Rashford.
It's getting more and more obvious every week that the players who are least suited to this team moving forward are seen as two of the most important players at the club.

Get 100-150m for both in the summer and move on.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Not been able to watch the game today as I’m away.

Reading this thread has been massively eye opening as a result.

Can’t understand why, win or lose, people just can’t enjoy the ride.

Everything is so final. Or folks have to be right and prove others to be wrong.

Maybe just chill out a bit? We’re all on the same side!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
To be fair he should of been off so let’s just call that one evens
Who should have been off, Casemiro? That "2nd yellow" was never in a million years a yellow, you've been suckered by the Luton reaction there if you think so, watch it again.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Should have been done and dusted after the first 10 minutes but we love making things difficult for ourselves. That being said its a manky away ground (as proven by nearly every top team having issues there this season already) so theres a certain element of just take the win and get out of there.

Couldnt have handled them getting a draw at the end (especially that muppet Barkley scoring) but we could have been 4 or 5-1 up at that point.

Great to see Rasmus continuing to score.

Gator Nate

doomers can jog on

Liverpool needed a 95th min goal to draw there
Arsenal needed a 97th min goal to win there
City also won 2-1 there
Newcastle lost there
Brighton lost there
Spurs won 1-0

Playing at Kenilworth Road hasn't been easy for top half sides

2 months ago we would have threw that match away. 3 points is 3 points. You don't get extra points for style.
100%

We're now 3 points out of 5th and 5 points out of 4th. Three weeks ago, we were 8 points out of 4th and 5th. This is the first week I can remember in I don't know how long where we really took advantage of the points dropped ahead of us.

Good teams struggle at Kenilworth.

Yeah, we still have our issues, but we are making up ground.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Casemiro is making it incredibly difficult for himself and us in matches, with all the yellows he's picking up.
Aye, he is on his last legs and seems to be really struggling with the pace and physicality of the league now. Was terrific last season but perhaps the miles and injuries have caught up with him now. This was always the risk when you spend massive money on a 30 yr old.

erikcred

I guess the sarcasm was lost on you :lol:
Look at the replies to your post. It appears that your sarcasm was so subtle that it's non existent.

Getting back on topic.

I'm just relieved we got out of there with 3 points. Approaching the business end of the season, just need to keep picking up the points. I don't care about dominating or attractive football in our current situation.

JediSith

He’s been rubbish since Christmas and I genuinely think we should cash in the summer if his form doesn’t pick up, he has a great engine but a 29 year old.
He gives the ball away so much like Casemiro so you need ridiculous stats from him, 3 Goal 5 assists as United pen taker in 24 PL games is not good enough for an elite 10.
Needs to improve or be rested and play Eriksen in the 10 soon. I think he’s more of a liability than Rashford right now.
Ageed about performance. Not sure if Eriksen is the answer but he’ll definitely be more composed. Don’t agree about Casemiro thou.

One of the things great teams do is sell their best players at the right time both experienced and younger players. United lost so much by not selling martial 3-4 years ago when he was still a young player. Now the test is can we sell an experienced player like Bruno in the summer and get maximum returns. Basically do what United used to do under SAF before the Glazers arrived.

dogwithabone

Thought Mainoo was superb, the best game I’ve seen him have. Lovely, quick feet and the one player on the pitch who wasn’t rushed in possession. There should be a government enquiry if this kid doesn’t make the Euros squad, he’s sensational.

ForeverRed1

We could of scored 6

We were awful for a good period but got composure back in second half and had loads of chances

Need to do much better but this wasn’t a lucky win
They had 59% possession to our 41%. More shots than us. We also conceded 21 fouls against them. They hit the crossbar right at the end and had almost double the passes on the ball we did. We are so so wasteful. We were hanging on to the bitter end.

We could have easily not won that and if we had of played a team that put away their chances we wouldn’t have.

Todd

Every single win now comes with a player going off due to an injury. If Shaw isn't going to be reliably available down the stretch any chance of getting 4th will be out the window.

Ending the Reguilon loan was a mistake, just as I feared it would be.

If Garnacho ever learns the difference between when to pass and when to go for goal he can be a world beater.

tomaldinho1

They had 59% possession to our 41%. More shots than us. We also conceded 21 fouls against them. They hit the crossbar right at the end and had almost double the passes on the ball we did. We are so so wasteful. We were hanging on to the bitter end.

We could have easily not won that and if we had of played a team that put away their chances we wouldn’t have.
What big chances did they have compared to United’s?

You can’t have watched that game and not thought United were the ones who should have been out of sight. As bad as periods were, we had chance after chance after chance to absolute bury them.

redmanx

Thought Mainoo was superb, the best game I’ve seen him have. Lovely, quick feet and the one player on the pitch who wasn’t rushed in possession. There should be a government enquiry if this kid doesn’t make the Euros squad, he’s sensational.
Mainoos incredible development is without doubt the only positive thing to come from this season.

Lexicon Red Devil

Spot on. All Rashford did all game was lose the ball, feign injury and have one decent run and shot on target. I really do not like this Rashford.
He really wasn't that bad. He also played a great ball to Garnacho that should have led to a goal, made some good runs off the ball to help open Luton up on the counter and actually put in a shift defensively.

He hasn't been good enough this season for sure, but there's no need for the criticism after a game like today. Let's not forget that he only had Lindelof to link up with on the left for half the game which didn't help.

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw