PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 October 2015

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Tbf, he said the complete opposite in his post match interview. Isolated responses to questions from a non-native English speaker aren't always truth nuggets.
That was the opening question and response in the past match interview posted above, he expanded saying he was proud of the players.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
They were away from home too. Even Fergie with some of the best United sides set up defensively away from home against top 4 sides.
They were away from home. At a ground they consistently won at (comfortably) for the 3 years prior to LVG. The fact they've set out for a draw here, after being schooled with their usual approach last year, should be a compliment and indicative of our consistent improvement, rather than a cause for moaning.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
We were the better team but look far from dangerous with Rooney up front. Bastian was very disappointing for me, not sure he should be an automatic starter for us given his recent showings.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They were away from home. At a ground they consistently won at (comfortably) for the 3 years prior to LVG. The fact they've set out for a draw here, after being schooled with their usual approach last year, should be a compliment and indicative of our consistent improvement, rather than a cause for moaning.
That's all well and good, but you're essentially overlooking how the game actually went, in that we should have beaten them. It's fine to say "a draw against city isn't a bad result", but it is when you look at how the game actually went.

We could and should have done more in attack. We didn't even have an attempt at goal in the first half!

newgiz

We have Palace away and Leicester away coming up. Its not going to be easy but we should win them if we are to have any chance of competing for the title.

pacifictheme

I am really not a fan of Rojo but at LB today he was fantastic. I thought we played well as a team today. No one had a bad game but Rojo ruining de Bruyne was brilliant.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That's all well and good, but you're essentially overlooking how the game actually went, in that we should have beaten them. It's fine to say "a draw against city isn't a bad result", but it is when you look at how the game actually went.

We could and should have done more in attack. We didn't even have an attempt at goal in the first half!
I agree. I'm not saying I'm over the moon with our wonderful play (I don't think anyone's saying that) I'm just not despondent, and trying to mitigate some of the hysterical moaning going on.

Lewis.no.9

so in a nutshell, we havent progressed since last season despite the time Van Gaal has now had to address his tactics in this league and the excellent new personnel we have brought in, we STILL have the problem of literally dominating most games we play, but cannot put any chance away even when we do create them....which is rare.

Rooney needs to be sold ASAP. He couldnt be any more finished as a top flight footballer if he tried. Cant run, cant pass, cant shoot, cant hold up play. Literally barely attempts anything at all. Martial should now be a No.9 being rotated with a new, better striker in place of Rooney.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
From afar, just getting glimpses, seems like Rooney bashing in full flow; two points from last two matches not bad. Louis has done great work with this team. Two points off the top is a good position at this point in the season with some winnable games to come. Onwards and upwards.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I am really not a fan of Rojo but at LB today he was fantastic. I thought we played well as a team today. No one had a bad game but Rojo ruining de Bruyne was brilliant.
They keep going on about the money we spent, but City still had Sterling and KDB who cost an absolute fortune and couldn't get a goal between them.

Lewis.no.9

With Chelsea having a total mare and with liverpool out of the equation this year, we genuinely have an excellent chance to win the league this year. But we wont if we back Rooney. We need to toughen up and asap before he costs us too many points and we are out of the title picture

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
We were the side that created the better chances so you could argue that we maybe deserved to win more. But the chances weren't clear cut and City set themselves up right so a point seems fair.

Ultimately anytime you can contain your rivals you've got to be reasonably happy. We kept it tight and didn't give City too many chances so that's a major positive. But I'd still like to have seen more cutting edge and Martial up top I think would have done that. Instead we had to once again suffer Rooney with his lack of movement and killing our attacks.

Untied

so in a nutshell, we havent progressed since last season despite the time Van Gaal has now had to address his tactics in this league and the excellent new personnel we have brought in, we STILL have the problem of literally dominating most games we play, but cannot put any chance away even when we do create them....which is rare.

Rooney needs to be sold ASAP. He couldnt be any more finished as a top flight footballer if he tried. Cant run, cant pass, cant shoot, cant hold up play. Literally barely attempts anything at all. Martial should now be a No.9 being rotated with a new, better striker in place of Rooney.
I don't think that's entirely fair. We are closer to being a very good side than we were 12 months ago. We're certainly more balanced. If we add two attackers (Griezmann, Bale, Reus, etc) next summer to replace Rooney we'll be in great shape.

OJKernow

Probably would have taken a point at the beginning of the game, feels more disappointing after seeing City not look interested at all to get the win.

Thought we defended really well and controlled the game. It was always going to be very difficult to create chances with the final third being so compact and City sitting behind the ball looking to soak up pressure. Martial looked good again and like the only player that might be able to create something for himself but he is wasted out wide.

All in all I'm satisfied though, we haven't fallen any further behind the favourites for the title and to be 2 points off top spot whilst looking difficult to beat ourselves is a good place to be, particularly with the run of games we have coming up.

Lewis.no.9

I don't think that's entirely fair. We are closer to being a very good side than we were 12 months ago. We're certainly more balanced. If we add two attackers (Griezmann, Bale, Reus, etc) next summer to replace Rooney we'll be in great shape.
Griezmann YES!!.. imagine if Memphis develops into a world beater and we have the option of martial, Griezmann and Mata/Memphis as front 3 options?...

Kakeru

I was watching rugby at the pub after the match just to think less about football for a couple of hours. Here's what I think about the match.

Overall, I must admit that City really came to park the bus and go mostly against the trend from other Manchester Derbies in the last 5 years. Meanwhile, De Gea was well protected by the defenders and the match was quite under our control by quite a margin. Also we had the best chances, but it's one of the days when I curse after the opposition's goalkeeper for stealing one or two goals. However, I wonder why we didn't try hitting shots from outside the box knowing Joe Hart is not the most consistent goalkeeper out there. Furthermore, I believe we should have thrown the kitchen sink after City pulled Yaya out for Demichelis.

Rooney... I just wish he served some bench time while switching Martial up front and sending Memphis on the left flank. I'm just fed up of seeing no action taken against Rooney when he keeps playing like shit after he proved that the Everton match was the odd one off.

Kakeru

I agree. Rojo pulled his butt off big time after the match in Moscow; he really neutralized De Bruyne.

dogwithabone

Thought Smalling and Jones were very solid, a good sign if they are to be the long term pairing. Martial is a huge threat but would much rather see him down the middle. Don't think crossing or final ball is his strength so a lot of his good work is ultimately wasted.

Rooney disappointing and I think we are always going to be short for as long as he's a starter. The midfield were solid today but we need a bit more probing - Hazard would be a terrific addition.

All in all a point isn't too bad but we should never really be happy with a point at home to anyone if we are to aspire to genuine greatness again.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How has Rooney almost got 5/10 on the player ratings? How anyone could rate him more than a 1 today I don't know. He literally fecked up everything he did and offered no threat to anyone but ourselves.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I am finding it hard to decide between which of the following was worse - Manchester derby or Hitman Agent 47??
Rarely see such boring football from teams assembled with so much money.
Total shots (combined): 12
Shots on target (combined): 2
For neutrals, it was horrible. Martial was good, De Bruyne was horrible.
Have just downloaded. Should I immediately delete?!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Annoyed we didn't win and annoyed with the whole Rooney business.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
LoL

have deleted - thanks for the tip off!
If you're interested in a decent action flick, try the Rurouni Kenshin - Kyoto Inferno/the legend ends (if you hadn't already).
Ok, now that's my last message on this topic, back to football :D

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
A point in the grand scheme of things is a good result. It appears the days of us getting drubbed 4-1 and 3-0 are over. They knew this and to play for a draw is a sign of our progress where this fixture is concerned.

We didn't create much, and that has to be a consistent worry this season. LVG said in his post match presser that teams are harder to score against when they play for a point, which is of course obvious. But we're Manchester United, aren't most teams going to do this against us? We really should have better means of breaking teams down, especially seeing as we're so fond of going 1-0 down in games.

We controlled most of the game in spite of this, but just lack something in the final third. A competent centre forward maybe? Or at least one that isn't wasted on the left wing? Martial looks excellent every time he goes forward. We kept City at arms length defensively and Smalling added another volume to his Beast Mode anthology.

Still, as i said. A good point. Onwards.

C'est Moi Cantona

We did ok, but we're still a Shaw recovery, a Rooney injury, a Memphis resurrection, and a player (Right Wing), away from been able to win the premiership imo.

Acole9

Outstanding
If we had another attacking player like Martial I think we would've won because we just edged the second half but the amount of chances we created let us down massively.

Kakeru

If we had another attacking player like Martial I think we would've won because we just edged the second half but the amount of chances we created let us down massively.
This is where I hope we will pour money in for someone like Müller or Griezmann to provide more attacking options from wide.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Just can't help but feel a bit annoyed. This was us at full strength (besides Shaw) and we couldn't get a result against them whilst they were missing key players.

(Yes I know Rooney but this is probably going to be our best lineup of the season LvG will field.)

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Megabus screwed us over with a breakdown, having to wait for a spare coach that took 2 hours to come, feckin missed 25 minutes of the game. Never taking the bus again! :mad: :mad:

Point will do, shame that we are so easy to defend against with 10 behind the ball. I know it is hard to play against, but we don't do ourselves any favours shifting the ball as slow as we do.

Defence was positive though. Looked a good shape and Rojo played really well. Morgan was impressive again. Wasn't Matas game today either, bless him. Rooney couldn't make the ball stick, although the odd time he was marked out of it.

If we can just work on our forward speed and tempo and improve there, it would be sweet. Would like Martial to come central again though, was was dangerous today but if he made that space centrally, he'd have had a few of his own chances.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Not a bad team performance overall. City were very negative and defended well and limited us to very few chances. Like a lot of you have said Rooney should be nowhere near the first team. My fear is if Martial is played in the middle, Rooney will take Herrera's place.

DeafMUFC

Gutted, almost felt like a defeat as we were clearly the best side. We looked great in possession, dominated in midfield, solid at the back just no cutting edge in the final third.

I must admit I expected more from them. I can't remember DDG having such a quiet game!

Great atmosphere, at one point it was on edge between the two sets of fans.... And how it should be.

Morgan, Smalling, Rojo & Tony M were outstanding.

Two points dropped but we are on the right track.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 791 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Man City