PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 October 2015

Geordopolous

We are blessed to have the players of smalling jones Bastian Morgan and Herrera in the middle of our park and those players are why we dominate games (Obvious statement). When we have Herrera Bastian and Morgan on the same time we don't need Rooney up front. We need someone fast who stays up front and trusts he's midfielders. Rooney doesn't trust he's midfielders imo. If you are fast and make good runs then this midfield + mata will supply you.

Our midfield too often looks forward and has nothing to pass to. I can't wait til Memphis sorts his shit out so we can have Memphis and martial in form in attack. Next transfer window we may need to buy another brilliant player in attack. Everywhere else were sweet

Ixion

It's not a bad result really given we've just played in Moscow on Wednesday and they're top of the league. We've just had a very tough run of fixtures and we're only two points behind them and Arsenal, it's not a terrible position. Once the Palace game is out of the way we can put a good run together hopefully. The only slight dissapointment is because they were missing Aguero and were content with a point for most of the game so we perhaps could have done more, Rooney offered nothing going forward though.

Kostur

海尔的老板
United could and should have won this in the second half. They were rubbish. Toothless and couldn't string two passes together. Feck this parking a fecking £500 million bus whose wheels are coming off and engine is emitting black smoke.

Martial was isolated. That is where United failed to kill it I think. I'm not sure about you people but I hate these long balls to that clumsy twat Fellaini.

Highlight of the game was Martial's killer aerial ball to Lingard that hit the bar.
Literally played 2 aerial balls to Fellaini one of which resulted in a created chance by him which was our (only?) shot on goal saved by Hart.

waza7111

It was a good game between two good teams. I thought we were quite comfortable and could easily have won with the two late chances.

Moonred

City were very cautious. Suits them. We were better but had very little going forward. Decent result but we could have and should have gone for more.

Akshay

Staff
That would be just perfect.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us try Wilson and Lingard on either wings with Martial in the center at this point. What have we got to lose? We aren't winning he league anyway.

Also, we are wasting Januzaj at Dortmund. I wish we could recall him from his loan.
Isn't Januzaj getting plenty of minutes at Dortmund? I think he would get frozen out by LVG if he was here or take Lingard's opportunities. If he comes back a better player for this experience, I'll be very happy.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't create enough. Thought they defended well but were terrible going forward and we didn't make enough of it.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I think we were decent, but lack creativity. I'm also now waiting for Schweini to really dominate a game and dictate play. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We didn't play badly, and it's a decent point. Just didn't have the right threat up front but that is entirely the fault of LVG and his unexplained love for his mate Wayne. Anyway, on to the next game.

MAME DIOUF 32

The fact that City played for a draw against us encourages tells me that the rest of the league definitely sees us as a genuine threat now, which is encouraging. The performance was OK. If our quality striker was played up front we'd probably have won it.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I think we could and should have taken three points. Especially with city missing aguero. They showed up looking for a point.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Isn't Januzaj getting plenty of minutes at Dortmund? I think he would get frozen out by LVG if he was here or take Lingard's opportunities. If he comes back a better player for this experience, I'll be very happy.
I don't think he is. Stayed on the bench the previous two games; not sure what happened tonight. I think Dortmund has got him on loan for emergency injury situations. Hoffman and others are starting games ahead of him, and rightfully so too if you look at it from their perspective.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Really happy to come away with a point without Silva and Aguero. Another tough game out the way and still right in the mix at the top of the table. Our next couple of games should have plenty of points in them. I thought we defended well without being threatened too much - you should have started with the big Belgian, you'd have taken all 3 points.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really happy to come away with a point without Silva and Aguero. Another tough game out the way and still right in the mix at the top of the table. Our next couple of games should have plenty of points in them. I thought we defended well without being threatened too much - you should have started with the big Belgian, you'd have taken all 3 points.
We would've won had just about anyone started in place of Rooney really. Even at his best he struggled against Kompany... Today he had absolutely nothing.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
At this stage of the season and given the tough away match we had in Europe, its a good result. We are truly in the mix at top end of the table and our team continues to get better as they get to understand each other better.

Pre match, many predicted a defeat, but in the end, we can be frustrated as we had the better chances and were dominant in the 2nd half, and could deservedly have won. And that would have been justifiable as we were the only team actually interested in winning.

Taking a more marco high level view, its yet another strong signal of the progress we continue to make under LVG; Going into the season, we knew we were a world class creative player short, a Cantona type player. Despite that, its heartening to see we can go toe to toe with the league favourites and not be bossed or physically intimidated.

Martial is one amazing prospect. Amazing consistency for a player so young, he has taken to PL football like mozzarella on a pizza.

LVG's strategy with Rooney is not working. He must find another way to coax our overpaid captain into some kind of form justifiable for his continued selections.

NJM78

We would have nicked this game with out Wayne up front. However had Silva and Aguero played I think they would have won. So guess a point was inevitable.
I predicted 5 points from our four October games. Sticking with that as don't think we will beat Palace away unless Wayne plays deeper or even better is dropped.

Akshay

Staff
Martial is better on the wing than as a striker. It's just that Rooney is truly shit at the moment and Martial would be much better than him there.
I'm not convinced on that. His dribbling ability is so good he's able to beat defenders centrally, and that's much more dangerous than being able to beat a man out wide. Combined with his incredible composure, he's better as a striker imo.

stu_1992

Both teams looked relatively satisfied with that. I'd argue that we were the better team, but City will be happier. It's a better result for them as they were the away team and missing their 2 best players.

That Lingard chance was the one we should have scored. Smalling's chance was very decent too. Shame we couldn't create any chances first half. We were definitely overplaying the ball around the box.

Martial was our most dangerous player again. Lingard looked very lively and promising when he came on too. Not sure what the logic was in bringing on Fellaini and putting him in midfield. He needed to be in the "10" position at least.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I don't really get how City can be absolved of being less adventurous than us because they were missing their two best players (who are probably the two best players in the league to boot) while we were somehow abysmal for not creating enough. You realise we don't have Silva & Aguero either? If City's free flowing attacking football, so coveted by many on here, is entirely contingent on those two players, then our lack of it is surely not the failure of our management or tactical set up, but purely our failure to buy Silva and Aguero?

Basically...https://www.redcafe.net/threads/we-must-buy-the-next-messi.401797/

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
We would've won had just about anyone started in place of Rooney really. Even at his best he struggled against Kompany... Today he had absolutely nothing.
I agree, it's time to move on to the next generation. Sagna might have a sleepless night over Martial tonight, he scares defenders like Rooney used to.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm not convinced on that. His dribbling ability is so good he's able to beat defenders centrally, and that's much more dangerous than being able to beat a man out wide. Combined with his incredible composure, he's better as a striker imo.
I don't know, I'm going by what he's shown so far in his young career (Monaco+France+Utd). At the very least he's a player you wanna give the ball to.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Decent considering we traveled to the fecking tundra midweek.

I wouldn't have started Mata.

Schmidfield is very good with Herrera.

Damian played a stupid risky pass at the end that pissed me off.

Rooney is just not good as lead forward in a possession system.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I agree, it's time to move on to the next generation. Sagna might have a sleepless night over Martial tonight, he scares defenders like Rooney used to.
Yeah, he just doesn't look fit these days. Looks weaker, slower, and it's weighing on his mind as well. If nothing else, give him a few weeks on the bench and make him play his way back into the side, as we're pretty much playing with 10 men attacking wise every week. He still does good defensive work at least I guess.

As for Sagna.. Martial has given pretty much any player who he's been up against a torrid time. He's a once in a generation type player, so I wouldn't read much into Sagna just because he couldn't handle Martial. Apart from Sanchez and Hazard if he gets back up to top form, he won't go up against a better winger all season.

LR7

City came for the draw so they'll be leaving OT thrilled.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Rooney. It's not a lack of effort he's just so poor. You always feel he will lose the ball and he doesn't disappoint.

Would have been so sweet if that Lingard shot went in.

I think City were really unambitious and two injuries can't be an excuse given the way half our team was out for large chunks of last season

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
Very valuable point. Keeps us 2 points behind the leaders.

Should have won as we were by far the better side. When Chelsea turn up and park that bus of theirs, its tough to break down... Wait, it wasn't Chelsea, it was City.

A City side came OT and looks petrified for most of the game.

Red_Aaron

city pretty much gave up on the hour, real shame we didn't press on and take the win.
rooney again frustrating, martial had their beating all day and we really should've given him a lot more ball

not a bad result by any means, more a missed opportunity

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
City were very poor and I did not expect them to play better really considering they've been outplayed in all but one big games this season. Sevilla dominated them last Wednesday and were extremely unlucky not to win at Etihad, Juventus beat them and Spurs hammered them 4-1. They aren't all that and even if they go on to win the league it will be mainly due to poor competition (I am quite convinced Arsenal will finish above them though, much better side now).

We didn't play well ourselves today. It's difficult when your opposition comes to defend first and foremost but we didn't try as I'd have expected us in the final third. Very little creativity and we did not take our chances (very few).

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Bad game in terms of tempo and unforced errors from both sides on the pitch. I believe that LvG's selections at both FB positions were correct. We needed pacey and physical FBs with ability to defend well in 1v1 situations. Valencia over Darmian was a good call from LvG since the former usually doesn't have problems defending against wingers who rely on their pace and their ability to attack the open spaces in the wide areas. Had Silva played, we would probably have a different discussion though.

Speaking of Silva, without him orchestrating their attacks, City really missed his runs with the ball and how well he can link up with his teammates in tight spaces. But we also did a good job at making the pitch smaller for City when we were defending off the ball. We have become really good at this under LvG.

But in the first half we were pretty awful on the ball, our passing game was bad, Mata-Herrera-Rooney had much trouble to keep possession of the ball and didn't offer any type of hold up play and Schweinsteiger really struggled to find spaces to operate and make himself useful. Martial was good, he was actually the only player who offered some moments of pure class and Schneiderlin (MotM for me) was literally everywhere in our half, setting double teams with the FBs, protecting the CBs and closing down the first attacker.

Still, it never felt like we were in control of the game. In fact it was City who had the better opportunities in that half. We couldn't really control the tempo of the game and i think it's a bit worrying that Carrick doesn't really fit in this set up, mainly because he covers the same spaces with Schneiderlin but, with the formation and tactics we use, i feel that Morgan should always be in the starting lineup.

In the second half things looked better, we had at least four clear cut chances to score (Hart produced two great saves) and we should have taken the three points. Many people claim that City sat back and were satisfied with the draw but i think it had to do more with Yaya never really showing up in the second half for City. I hardly remember him touching the ball until he was brought off by Pellegrini.

In the same time Herrera improved his game a lot, Mata was subbed off and without the threat of Toure we completely dominated the second half. I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans but i would be blind not to admit that, right now, he's a part of the problem more than a part of the solution to our attacking woes. On the other hand, i can't really blame LvG for not playing Martial up front. There's no question that he would do a better job than Rooney there but that's not the issue here. Martial is the only player we have who can offer some hold up play and who can beat defenders. It's sound to move him to the side where he can find spaces to operate and make himself useful instead of playing him up front in between the CBs and the opposition DM with the little service out team provides for the forwards. Today he was involved in almost everything we created in the final third, would that be the case if he was trying to find spaces behind Fernando-Fernandinho and with either Kompany or Otamendi breathing down his neck?

Maybe when Memphis is ready to offer what LvG asks of his wingers, we'll see Rooney dropped and Martial played as a #9.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
City came for the draw. Not very exciting attacking wise but we controlled the match and first time for many years we didn't look like conceding against City. Reasonable result against the team who are supposedly streets ahead of us.
Played bit too deep first half, better second half

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 791 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Man City