PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 October 2015

VanGaalEra

The better team and City literally parked the bus for the second half.

The Lingaard chance could have been one of the greatest moments of recent memory.

Rojo MOTM.

Reynoldo

Not a bad result but we were the more better side and deserved to win but didn't do enough really.

Shark

@NotShark
The overall theme of the game will be that City put in a masterful defensive display and we were wank in the final 3rd, but we could have easily won the game 2-0 based on chances we had in the 2nd half.

Get In Scholesy

Definitely two points dropped, were the better team throughout the game. Pleased with the way we played though, dominated but couldn't finish.

Only if we had a decent midfield to support Wayne, he's all alone up there doing it on his own. White Text

CG1010

Are we getting better on the ball as a team? I saw some really nice technical play from our defenders all over the pitch. Control, movement, tight passing. We just need to add a little more flair and I believe that will come when we replace Rooney.
Yeah we were very good, at least the 10 players except Rooney. I am very happy with how Schneiderlin is improving.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Not a bad point but it was a game we really could have won. Our attack is not that sharp and it results in costly point drops. Hard to see us winning big trophies this season because of that. Second half was a good performance from us. Loved the pressing game and how City were rarely let to counter. Van Gaal is getting things right and in place step by step but we are a world class striker short of being serious challengers. Nonetheless, onward and upwards.

Ainu

We're a very negative side. Everything is geared towards the safe ball, not a single player is willing to take a risk. I certainly didn't enjoy watching this.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
They were without their two best players. It was a great opportunity to beat them but, you know, tactics.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I only saw parts of the first half and the last 35 mins of the second, but from what I saw all I can say is that if LVG insists on playing Rooney then bump him to the wing and let Martial play in the centre because we should have won that game with the amount of half chances we were creating.

marlowe78

A clean sheet against City is no small achievement, even with two of their key attackers out. We could have gone for it towards the end but City are notorious for last moment goals (as we well know) so I can understand playing for the point. Lingard was also very unlucky. Not a bad result and we have our toughest matches out of the way. Let's stuff these midtable sides coming up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The entire reason our attack isn't working is Rooney and it's as simple as that, put Depay/Young in where Martial was and have him up top instead of Rooney we would have won this game.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Otamendi and Fernandinho were both fantastic today.

Ryan7

Both teams cancelled each other out. I don't understand the complaining, this is how big games can be. It's not like we were playing a mid table team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At home, City without their 2 best players. The one that got away.
That sums it up.

We are in 4th place - 2 points from the top.
So its not all doom and gloom.
We are still in the title race.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I'm impressed with the way we generally dominate possession against our main rivals these days. City were only ever getting anything out of that game from a set piece or a mistake by us. Definitely agree with Rooney being dropped and Martial being our main striker. He's in form and his confidence is sky high. Don't let's wait until he's bored and frustrated on the wing before we move him central again.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Martial is class. Negative performance though, City missing there 2 best players at Old Trafford where there for the taking.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
United could and should have won this in the second half. They were rubbish. Toothless and couldn't string two passes together. Feck this parking a fecking £500 million bus whose wheels are coming off and engine is emitting black smoke.

Martial was isolated. That is where United failed to kill it I think. I'm not sure about you people but I hate these long balls to that clumsy twat Fellaini.

Highlight of the game was Martial's killer aerial ball to Lingard that hit the bar.

kundalini

Rojo superb; his first half performance was awesome. Martial had several moments of brilliance. Herrera worked hard. Lingard almost won it for us. Fellaini also did well.

Not impressed by Schweignsteiger, though he did improve in the 2nd half. Schneiderlin looked very ordinary. Jones' passing is diabolical. Rooney and Mata both poor.

Left wondering why Martial is out on the wing when surely he would be more of a threat centrally. Jesse Lingard worth a run of games; offered far more of a threat than Mata had done in more than twice the playing time.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Must say I really enjoyed the game

We more than matched city and in the end I think deserved the win

Obviously missing silva and Aguero paints a different picture unfortunately

Red Stone

De Gea - N/A - Didn't do a thing all game, apart from hoofing it upfield a few times.

Valencia - 6 - Physically dominated his man all game, but it's time to drop the weights and do some ball work, Tony. Injured himself by over-exerting his left foot by playing a three yard pass.
Jones - 6 - Suspect more than once, but kept the clean sheet.
Smalling - 7 - Almost a goal, didn't put a foot wrong but was never challenged.
Rojo - 7 - Lively all game, two great crosses. Needs a target in the box to capitalize.

Schneiderlin - 7 - Workhorse. Safe in possession and good at bothering City's midfield. A big part of why they couldn't get going.
Schweinsteiger - 6 - Obviously class, but he seems to be playing at half speed more often than not. Have a pop at goal, FFS.
Herrera - 7 - Good touches, but couldn't quite influence the game in attack to the best of his abilities.
Mata - 5 - Nothing performance. Conceded possession a couple of times in dangerous positions.
Martial - 8 - A level above everyone else on the pitch. Should have had an assist. His ability on the ball is exactly what we need up front. Always eager to take on his man too. Really refreshing to see a player like him.

Rooney - 4 - As good a first half as we could expect, which isn't saying much. His second half was genuinely dreadful, though. Could have played until the New Year without him scoring against that defence. His best involvements were inside our own box. Not exactly what you expect from a lone striker.

Fellaini - 6 - Won some headers, roughed up a few opponents, looked clumsy. Very Fellaini-esque performance.
Lingard - 6 - If only... but he didn't look out of place. Decent cameo.
Darmian - N/A - Didn't play enough to get rated.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
City are just flat-track bullies.

Spoony

The People's President
I wouldn't say great, but easily the better side. Just really struggle when unambitious teams come and park the bus.

Yeah they didn't show any attacking intent whatsoever. That said we should've done better against a side without their best two players, we also had home advantage. I blame them more than United for the dull derby.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Some real positives to take from the game - quality performances from Rojo and Martial amongst them. However it has to be considered two points dropped. Van Gaals refusal to drop or sub off Rooney is becoming a major problem in the team.

SirFergie

Martial is class. Negative performance though, City missing there 2 best players at Old Trafford where there for the taking.
We weren't negative. If one of the teams was negative, it was, surprisingly, City. We pushed for the win and with a centre-forward who can control a ball we would have won it. Imagine if we had Aguero?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Cheers:
  • The Rojo redemption
  • Young Lingard with a couple good moments
  • Barely anything allowed
Jeers:
  • Our best striker is left on the wing
  • Our main striker is best at defending set pieces
  • We still look short of ideas going forward (unless Felli is on the pitch).

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's a decent defender but never going to contribute a thing in attack. Was painful watching him try to make a decision when he ran into some space at the end of the game.
Apart from the Arsenal game, where Sanchez ripped him apart, he's been very solid defensively. Although, going forward, as you say, he hasn't been great. Wouldn't read too much into todays cameo, think he was in two minds as to whether to go forward or play out the draw. Also, our mentality was to draw.

Deleted member 78215

Arsenal fans giving it big now they're top of the league. Oh, wait...

WyoManU

Tight match. Thought City had the better of the first half and we were on the up in the second. I'm still critical of our style. Just can't get used to it. It looks too cautious for me, especially when we are playing at home against a City side missing both Aguero and Silva.

Our back four were solid and Schneiderlin and Schweinsteigger were both good as well. De Gea didn't have a whole lot to do.

Our problem is in attack.

Mata is as frustrating as ever. Though he can always produce a moment of magic in any match he largely disappears and contributed little going forward and less than nothing defensively.

Herrera was similar for me today. He was good at possession but in that role he has to be able to take the ball and drive forward. He was all too content with our sideways/backwards passes.

Rooney was average at best. He certainly isn't playing well enough to justify starting, but he seems untouchable. He is on pace for four goals this season. I can't think of a single situation where he caused a problem for City in defense. Just ineffectual as ever. The sooner we play with a proper striker the better. I thought Rooney was past it a couple seasons ago, but now he is tumbling rapidly down the back side of the hill.

Martial. A shining beacon. His ability to take men on and beat them is astounding. Imagine if we had some more players of his ilk.

Happy to see Lin come on and cause problems immediately. Same with Fellaini, although when you try to play the way we do, bringing on the big man always reeks of desperation.

All in all it was a mostly dull affair and a draw was a fair result. I have said it over and over again, the reason I fell in love with United all those years ago was because of the attacking, entertaining style. Yes, it may well have cost us in Europe and at times in the BPL, but it was usually good value for my time spent watching. These days I find it increasingly difficult to justify my time. We have become difficult to beat, play at a fairly slow tempo and with an eye more for caution than incisiveness.

Devil may care

Hard to not feel like we missed a good chance to get the 3 points off them today with Aguero and Silva out. The game was defensively strong from both teams and lacking in creativity, but we created the only two clear cut chances and were denied by the bar and a good save from Hart.

Rojo, Schneiderlin and Martial were the 3 stand outs for me, it's frustrating seeing the latter out left playing well but knowing we could be getting much more out of him centrally.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
City came for a draw and got it. Good performance but a better striker than Rooney(which isn't hard) and we'd have won this comfortably. City were playing with Fernando-Fernandinho and Otamendi in the second half :lol:

Natener

We stepped up a notch today, was in control for most of the match but lack the edge at the business end. Rooney :mad:

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 791 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Man City