PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 October 2015

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Quite pleased on the whole. Looked totally in control and did enough in that second half to get the win. Still within touching distance of 1st and Martial continues to show more facets to his game. Once we've sorted out the Rooney/Depay issue I don't have any concerns about our attacking game. Our possession play finally has a bit of an edge, it's just the individuals in attack not making the difference.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Shameful 2nd half performance.

Van Gaal and these players not interesting in winning the league this year.

City were there for the taking. How many opportunities do you get to take 3 points from your closest rivals without their 2 best players.
Harsh words. I agree they were there for the taking and we may not get a better chance to beat City with them not having Silva and Aguero - but City didn't seem very interested to win, probably less so than us. Does that mean they aren't interested to win this year? You can argue being away/home mentality, but surely a win for them today would have given them a huge bonus. Taking off Yaya for Demichellis was extremely negative.

It was an annoying second half. We should have made more chances given the possession we had, and how tucked in City looked - but chances were made and if Lingard scored his lob, Smalling scored his chance, Schneiderlin touched in Smalling's header - then everyone wouldn't be saying these things. We had chances.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
City got what they wanted and we lost 2 points. Disappointing.

One of the worst derby matches in terms of intent and entertainment. Both teams could have just shook hands at the start and called it a day. Poor showing from nearly 600m of talent on the pitch.

Mata and Rooney were both terrible. Martial needs to be in the center of the pitch. Rojo with 2 good performances in two tough PL games.

Overall it was a bit meh.

Eddy_JukeZ

Our defensive organization is superb. It's probably the best in the league. We are very hard to beat.

But that's also our flaw. We simply don't create enough chances consistently. Not enough impetus in attack. A world class attacker is a must in the 2016 window for me. We don't score enough goals to win the league imo.

I thought we were the better team. But it feels like 2 points dropped.

DevilRed

Feels like we missed out on 3 points today. citeh were clearly playing a lot more defensively without aguero and silva leading their attack. I suppose that contributed to what was a real battle in midfield with little to no space for anyone to operate.

Lindgaard was very unlucky to not have scored. Thought it was a fantastic run and touch from Jesse and a great ball by Martial. What would this team be like if it actually took more risks in the last third? Surely we could have created more than the one or two half chances today.

Rooney was poor again but not all to blame. There was a real lack of service from Herrera and Mata to the forwards. Sometimes you really do get fed up with this possession nonsense because in matches like this we create next to nothing.

Thought we defended them really well however. Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Valencia were great today. Didn't put a foot wrong. Rojo is just super aggressive. Reminds me of Gabriel Heinze. The midfield did a good job controlling the second half. Morgan Schneiderlin makes a world of difference in our midfield. Although BFS and Herrera didn't really have much impact on the game, but both worked hard.

I think its interesting to see that Memphis (and Blind) are barely getting a look in now. Was a bit surprised Memphis wasn't thrown on for Mata instead of Lindgaard.

Nonetheless, this confirms that we are definitely a better team than last year and most likely will be able to contend for a title this year. We are back to being able to defend at a top level and if only we could somehow turn back the hands of time for Rooney.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We weren't negative. If one of the teams was negative, it was, surprisingly, City. We pushed for the win and with a centre-forward who can control a ball we would have won it. Imagine if we had Aguero?
No, you're right, we weren't negative today. We're just poor going forward, as we are most games.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Points from the game
  • We were the better side and City came for a draw.
  • We are two points off top after a horror run of fixtures. Everyone here would have taken that at the start.
  • The only blame that can be attached to LVG is his persistence with Rooney.
  • Rooney is a charlatan and is stealing wages.
  • We will definitely challenge for the title.
  • We can't win it with Rooney up front.
  • We must buy an attacker in January.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
City played for the draw, our attack just couldn't break them down.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Solid performance from us. The goal wasn't there but the organization and squad cohesion was, which is a good sign going forward. We made it through a difficult October only two points off, which is fantastic.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
We weren't negative. If one of the teams was negative, it was, surprisingly, City. We pushed for the win and with a centre-forward who can control a ball we would have won it. Imagine if we had Aguero?
Maybe not negative but you where not aggressive enough in attack for me. Agreed Rooney is finished.

Triple.Threat

Wayne Rooney’s game by numbers vs. Man City:

55% pass accuracy
0 shots on target
0 chances created
0 take ons

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Tight match. Thought City had the better of the first half and we were on the up in the second. I'm still critical of our style. Just can't get used to it. It looks too cautious for me, especially when we are playing at home against a City side missing both Aguero and Silva.

Our back four were solid and Schneiderlin and Schweinsteigger were both good as well. De Gea didn't have a whole lot to do.

Our problem is in attack.

Mata is as frustrating as ever. Though he can always produce a moment of magic in any match he largely disappears and contributed little going forward and less than nothing defensively.

Herrera was similar for me today. He was good at possession but in that role he has to be able to take the ball and drive forward. He was all too content with our sideways/backwards passes.

Rooney was average at best. He certainly isn't playing well enough to justify starting, but he seems untouchable. He is on pace for four goals this season. I can't think of a single situation where he caused a problem for City in defense. Just ineffectual as ever. The sooner we play with a proper striker the better. I thought Rooney was past it a couple seasons ago, but now he is tumbling rapidly down the back side of the hill.

Martial. A shining beacon. His ability to take men on and beat them is astounding. Imagine if we had some more players of his ilk.

Happy to see Lin come on and cause problems immediately. Same with Fellaini, although when you try to play the way we do, bringing on the big man always reeks of desperation.

All in all it was a mostly dull affair and a draw was a fair result. I have said it over and over again, the reason I fell in love with United all those years ago was because of the attacking, entertaining style. Yes, it may well have cost us in Europe and at times in the BPL, but it was usually good value for my time spent watching. These days I find it increasingly difficult to justify my time. We have become difficult to beat, play at a fairly slow tempo and with an eye more for caution than incisiveness.
I know where you are coming from, but if your option is Rooney, you'd likely pass it sideways or backwards.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
You remind me of us 2 seasons ago when we were very good defensively, organized, but had donkeys in attack. Ultimately I would guess that will be what makes the difference between 1st and 2nd. Having said that I dont believe either City or United will win it this season, Arsenal look the team to beat.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's hard to not feel disappointed city without their two best players were there for the taking...

On the positive note Martial looks an absolute star. The individual battles across the pitch were evenly matched. I thought Rojo and Valencia had KDB and Sterling/Navas in their back pockers. Jones and Smalling bossed Bony. The Midfield 3 from both sides was eveb, Toure and Herrera struggled to get the ball unless they came deep or wide. City's two holding midfielders were happy to sit deep and let schmidfield have the ball. Martial was the only one who had the beating of his opposite man, he was very good again.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to judge Rooney's performance. The city Cbs did well, but it wasn't exactly like we was fashiniong out any real chances. I suppose it's like every other game Rooney places for us. Not bad enough to be slated not good enough to warrant an unstoppable status.

Nickosaur

He's a decent defender but never going to contribute a thing in attack. Was painful watching him try to make a decision when he ran into some space at the end of the game.
Agree that he needs to contribute more in attack. But generally (with the exception of Arsenal away) he's been really solid defensively and I think he will only get better as he settles in.

mu4c_20le

Reasonable result, although really wish we could have stolen this one. Still not bad considering our recent performances.

Siorac

The problem is that City will simply be better against the smaller sides over a season because they have far more in attack than us.

We'll just drop too many points to win the league because of our problems going forward. I'd love to drop Rooney for an attacker (could be a winger) we sign in January but it's not going to happen.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We need another striker, this cannot be stressed enough.
Or a left winger so that Martial can be played as a striker.

And I don't know how long are we going to make everyone suffer to accommodate our undeserving highest paid player on the pitch.

Bwuk

Rooney was dreadful again. Blunts the attack.

Our best attacking thread needs to stop being played out wide.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
It's so obvious what's missing for us at the minute... a striker. Our no.9 offers us nothing in the final third, and we wonder why we struggle to score goals when Rooney's leading the line. Drop him and play Martial up front. Another opportunity missed today. How many more do we have to miss before something is done? I've never known a club as big as United carry a player for so long, not even subbing him, let alone leaving him out of the starting 11.

LARulz

Yeah we did well to nullify them and eventually get some chances, and can only play wha't in front of us. But we were at home and they were without two of the best players in the league, we should have been more assertive and created more I felt

manufanatic

"crazy"
Personally I think had decent game tracking back and stopping city only chance on the free kick but he is slowing us down on attack and if he is a striker and he isn't really showing that quality then a sitting is warranted. Start martial in the center bring in Memphis MMM connection will score use goals. Mata Memphis and martial.

vodrake

City were not "there for the taking" just because they were happy to play for a draw. That's ridiculous.

Trizy

Terrible game but I feel it could have been won without Rooney on the pitch. There's the bones of a great team there with 1 or 2 additions, we just need a better manager for that extra title push I feel.

Will Singh

Rooney needs to be benched, Martial is our most dangerous player and he could be smacking them in if it wasn't for Rooney. We would have won this if Martial played #9, he would have ripped them a new one. City was there for the taken and Rooney let us down! 2 points dropped not 1 gained!!!!!

manufanatic

"crazy"
Our defensive organization is superb. It's probably the best in the league. We are very hard to beat.

But that's also our flaw. We simply don't create enough chances consistently. Not enough impetus in attack. A world class attacker is a must in the 2016 window for me. We don't score enough goals to win the league imo.

I thought we were the better team. But it feels like 2 points dropped.
Who should we sign? Kane?

WyoManU

I know where you are coming from, but if your option is Rooney, you'd likely pass it sideways or backwards.
Believe me, if it were up to me Rooney wouldn't be on the pitch. I feel for Herrera, and all of our attacking guys...

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Or another Martial.
That would be just perfect.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us try Wilson and Lingard on either wings with Martial in the center at this point. What have we got to lose? We aren't winning he league anyway.

Also, we are wasting Januzaj at Dortmund. I wish we could recall him from his loan.

mu77

rooney - what's the point. did get staples in his head

Raw

At the end of the day, we're still 2 points behind top spot after going through what is possibly our toughest run of games this season.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 791 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Man City