LC W League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 1:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 October 2016

The United

Good result and moral boost.

I thought blind and rojo were pretty good.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Impressed with Rojo today which is something I didn't think I'd ever say!
I said it the match day thread that he is a far better CB than fullback. He's not top class by any means, but he's a good bench and squad rotation option.

Manny

Grammar Police
We played like we wanted to win in the second half rather than sitting ducks for City to pick off

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Now, we really need to show the same second half intensity vs Burnley.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happy with that. Needed to win and Juan did it for us. Shout out to Herrera and Valencia.

Woodzy

Feels very good to win that, I think the players and especially Jose probably needed it. We played a good second half and really should have scored one or two more. City were under strength but A) they didn't need to be and B) They brought on £90m of attacking talent who did nothing. Well done to the team
You could arguably say we were under strengthen, since none of us really have a scooby what our strongest team is.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
First 30 mins weren't great, but after that dominated totally. City had no chances at all. Should've won this by 2 or 3. Lots of good performances all round. Rojo, Ibra and Pogba should've shut their critics up for a week. Although knowing this place, they'll find a way to moan.

Herrera and Mata must play. Rashford is amazing. Carrick and Valencia are both so dependable with the right mentality.

DadiBG

We absolutely needed that. Brilliant second half, great to see that much intensity from all of our players. Sure, it was a City side without their big guns, but it's still City and it's still a big win confidence wise, particularly after the last game.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Much better performance by whole team in 2nd half. Zlatan and Pogba really worked hard in 2nd half and showed quality at times. Hopefully this will give confidence to team to build on.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Now, we really need to show the same second half intensity vs Burnley.
Be nice if we started with that intensity. Sick of the slow starts.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
United just about deserved it.
We did OK with weakened team but need to sharpen up in final third.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Better second half. City aren't frightening whatsoever without De Bruyne or Silva.

Utdstar01

1st half was abysmal but 2nd half really good performance from everyone. Rojo actually played well too, his passing is much superior to Smalling's, when clearing his lines he actually looked to smash it long up the pitch and not into row Z like Smalling tends to do which keeps us under pressure.

Herrera once again was great. Good to see Schneiderlin get some minutes too and looked decent when he came on.

Marcelinho87

Excellent second half, players showed a fight that has been missing up until that point.

Pogba and Zlatan need to perform more like the second half, they are supposed to be the leaders of this team.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We're through, as you'd expect of a full strength United vs a very weakened City. Anything other than a win would have been a disaster. City didn't really look like they wanted to win the game.
They still brought Aguero and Sterling on. I agree that we were supposed to win but I won't buy for a second that they didn't want to win it.

Minimalist

Did the job. First half dire. Second half better.

Still lots of work to do.

bleedred

Mate, we needed a win - things were getting desperate. Whether it came in the League Cup or any other competition, we needed this.
I am happy with it...but personally I would not have cared anyway is what I was saying...meaning I would not have a proper meltdown like some numpties in here.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We needed that. But I think Jose needed it more.

Good result, lacklustre performance for the most part but obviously better in the 2nd half.

ash_86

I was impressed with our Counter Attacks. We transitioned into attacks much faster.

Devil may care

Upped our intensity in the second half, I don't care what competition it is or City having several of their main men off, we needed to stop the rot and get a win, the surprise of the game was how comfortable Rojo and Blind were as a partnership.

VanGaalEra

Loved everything about the second half!

The desire, the effort, our attacking intent and defence. Much needed confidence.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Rubbish quality game won by the team who needed the win most.

In terms of our performance, Ibra, Pogba and Shaw were disappointing for various reasons. But Herrera, Rojo and Mata and carrick did well enough to win us the game. A nice period of 15 mins in 2nd half where we created a few fantastic chances and deservedly converted 1 chance.

Doubt City are that bothered, but its a stocking filler for us, simply because it gives us some confidence.

AXVnee7

Very professional and astute performance. I don't think we can take anymore then that. Two teams low on confidence going into this game and both teams set up to not concede as the primary objective.

City were weakened of course and whilst Aguero, De Bruyne and Silva is a different prospect entirely, you can only beat what's in front of you. We also miss strong players in Martial, Mkhi and Bailly.

Some flashes of brilliance (Pogba chance), give me hope that this team when fully gelled can put together some great attacking play, because otherwise in the first half it was dire.

Special mention to Rojo who was fantastic, Herrera again and Shaw who upped his game big time in the second half. Rashford can whip in some sublime crosses so maybe we ought to play him on the right?

Very happy today, lets build on this now.

Borden

Much better second half. The team finally showed some fight, and played some excellent stuff.

Look of relief on Jose's face after the game. He needed that.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Herrera was great. Carrick gave the security and control we have been missing all season. Both should be in our midfield every week if fit.

Ban

We were lousy in the 1st half but pretty good in 2nd.
This win will be a big boost for our confidence.
Zlatan created much in the 2nd, too bad he didn't score.
Pogba was also good.
Herrera is definitely my favorite player I love his passion.
Mata must be a starter!
Rojo was pretty good.
Shaw was a bit heavy and rusty but I'd still play him on Saturday.

All in all a good result but it's now absolutely crucial for us to beat Burnley.

City's crisis continues, 6 games without a win, our patchy form also continues but patchy form is better than 6 games without a win. :)

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I will be honest.

I wanted City to win but I'd rather United get a little confidence boost than City.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Great performance in the second half. We will be knackered for the weekend though.

Thought Herrera was immense. Pogba and Zlatan came alive in the second half. Should have had a second really.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
First half pretty non-descript.
Really enjoyed the second half
Herrera MOM, Good performances from Rashford, Mata, Valencia and a special mention for Rojo who was rock solid. Some nice moments from Pogba and Zlatan in the second half.
Don't remember DDG making a save.

Special mention to our fairweather fans who thought we'd get thrashed and weren't bothered.
City isn't it 6 without a win, one defeat in 8 for us albeit a thrashing at Chelsea

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 475 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 12% Man Utd 0:5 Man City