LC L League Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 1:3 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 07 January 2020

Irrational.

Ole post match:
- Struggled first half, good reaction second half.
- Didn't deal with City's tactics well enough.
- Frustrated with square and back passes.
- Gives PSG example as to how we can come back in the second tie. :rolleyes:

Djemba-Djemba

You think after watching that shite, Woody will get his finger out and make squad additions over the coming weeks.

The trouble is, he won't. I'd put my house on him failing to make a signing this winter.
I'm already waiting for the Ed Woodward briefings to the media.

"It's difficult to sign players in January"

"Utd won't be bullied into overspending"

"Quality over quantity"

siw2007

That first half was an absolute shambles, I have seen some really poor performances but that was utterly humiliating. The entire spine of the team was pathetic, Jones and Lingard were atrocious and if there were a bigger squad we could end their united careers.

The only positive was Williams who I thought had a really good game. Gomes was pretty good when he came on too.

Huge pressure on Woodward to deliver in the transfer market now because that team and especially the midfield is not good enough. Ole has attracted a lot of pressure himself now, any kudos he gained from his Spurs and City wins last month will wither away if there is more displays like this.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Has he resigned yet?

Out of his depth Ole, schooled by Guardiola, what a surprise. He's lucky he took pity on him at half-time, or else the scoreline would have been a cricket score.

Starting Pereira, Fred & Lingard is evidence of how clueless he is. Say no more.
What team would you have picked tonight?

Fooza

Ole is under the wheel rather than at the wheel. Win percentage of Man Utd managers:
SAF - 59.67%
Mourinho - 58.33%
Moyes - 52.94%
LVG - 52.43%
Sir Matt Busby - 52.38%
Ole - 27.3%

And worringly, these stats are before the last 3 Man Utd matches (1 draw, 2 losses).
I posted his percentage stats and let me say some were not happy that it didn't include his time as temp manager. But ya, it's a disgrace, bad players or not.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
It’s hard to understand how one of the largest and richest football clubs can fall so far.

Withnail

If that doesn't make the club spend money on midfielders this January - I don't know what will.

The gulf in quality is so visible. I miss the days where SAF lost a game and knew that he needed to get a player in to keep us competitive, no matter the cost.

As the biggest club in the world (tm) - I just don't understand the bullshit nature of our press briefings!
This times a million. It's incomprehensible for the club not to bring in at least one midfielder this window.

Irwin99

That first half was genuinely shocking. Even a team so much better than us technically shouldn't have been given that much respect. Every time City got the ball they controlled it with a good first touch and found another player with the pass. In contrast our players looked genuinely terrified to receive the ball at times, almost as if they were saying 'Feck, don't give that thing to me!' . Obviously you know the difference in quality before the match but it's still somehow mindblowing to see it in contrast.

Matic coming on did help the midfield and it was a much better second half but we hardly battered their goal. The Rashford goal puts a weird spin on the tie as there's actually a bit of hope there now ("mountains are there to be climbed") but it will take a lot of energy and a huge performance of PSG levels to win by three goals (or force penalties).

A part of me feels genuinely bad for giving Jones and Lingard 1 and 2 out of 10 in the match ratings but enough is enough. We've got a defender that can't defend or stay fit and an attacking midfielder that can't attack. DDG is really a concern at the moment.

Alemar

1-3 is not in fact bad, considering Sterling must have scored 2, and de Gea got a couple of good saves. We could have conceded 7 goals to be frank.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
That’s the thing though, isn’t it? I wouldn’t have picked the team and neither would you, because we aren’t world class football coaches and we don’t know what we are doing. We have no pedigree and no history of managing a team in the top league.

The team does better when better players are available, that’s the case with any manager, and it doesn’t make sense to judge him saying “we sometimes win when all the players are fit, but not always”

It’s the display that’s the problem, not the result. It was abject and a real shambles. You can’t slot players into the system to do a job because there is no system.

I love Ole, but I love Manchester United more than his desire to give coaching at this level a go and see how it turns out.

It’s been a year, there is no plan. It’s time to wake up and do what’s best for Manchester United and the future of the football club.

Full bodied red

it's funny how it's the players when Ole is in charge the same players under Jose was Jose's fault

I'll go with that.

It's getting increasingly difficult to defend OGS every week. Club Legend, no doubt, and rightly so, but continues to select players each week who nobody else amongst our x million fans would select.

Tonight it was Lingard ( had to be Jones, no other CBs fit ) but FFS Lingard in place of McT or Pogba ??

Such an enormous difference when Matic came on

Absolutely criminal to get it so wrong and OGS should be held to account for that.

Zed 101

If Jones and Lingard never play for Utd again I will not shed a tear, Jones at least partially at fault for all 3 goals, Lidgard was more effective at breaking down our attacks than any Man City player.

At this point I would rather just go whole hog and player 11 youngsters in the next round maybe one or two of them might step up and show something

Zed 101

I'll go with that.

It's getting increasingly difficult to defend OGS every week. Club Legend, no doubt, and rightly so, but continues to select players each week who nobody else amongst our x million fans would select.

Tonight it was Lingard ( had to be Jones, no other CBs fit ) but FFS Lingard in place of McT or Pogba ??

Such an enormous difference when Matic came on

Absolutely criminal to get it so wrong and OGS should be held to account for that.
Both McT and Pogba are injured and unavailable for weeks other than Garner or Gomes we have no available attacking mids, apart from Mata who is slower than me

Withnail

Ole is under the wheel rather than at the wheel. Win percentage of Man Utd managers:
SAF - 59.67%
Mourinho - 58.33%
Moyes - 52.94%
LVG - 52.43%
Sir Matt Busby - 52.38%
Ole - 27.3%

And worringly, these stats are before the last 3 Man Utd matches (1 draw, 2 losses).
Oh yeah leave out his caretaker games because... ?

Josep Dowling

Delusional fans will think we got back into it in the second half. City completely switched off knowing the game was won conserving energy for the busy month ahead.

Its just as well because we had no game plan to beat them.

Lara lhg

Ole post match:
- Struggled first half, good reaction second half.
- Didn't deal with City's tactics well enough.
- Frustrated with square and back passes.
- Gives PSG example as to how we can come back in the second tie. :rolleyes:
Absolutely no go with Ole. I have spent hundreds of thousands of English pounds on trips to OT last twenty years, 2 or 3 games per season., includ. Official membership card. I live in another country, so more expensive for me than you residented in UK, no less committed fan base abroad.

DoomSlayer

Delusional fans will think we got back into it in the second half. City completely switched off knowing the game was won conserving energy for the busy month ahead.

Its just as well because we had no game plan to beat them.
Guardiola said that City got tired and also couldn't deal well enough with the change in formation that we did with Matic coming on. Should I believe you or him? Two Joseps but who is in the right?

Josep Dowling

Guardiola said that City got tired and also couldn't deal well enough with the change in formation that we did with Matic coming on. Should I believe you or him? Two Joseps but who is in the right?
He also said a lot of nonsense before the game as well. He’s hardly going to say ‘it was so easy I told them to hold back’.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Utterly annihilated first half, totally wrong tactics, pure farce nonsense for their 3rd goal between Williams and Pereira.
If Sterling didn't have a jinx against us, that could have got to 6-1 type levels of thrashing.

Much better second half, and we've given ourselves just that tiny little chance, as unlikely as it is.

Spark

We've become a playboy club. Where average talent goes to get rich.
We are a glorified version of QPR a few years ago. Overpaid players putting in tumescent performances, consistently.

Very difficult to be positive about Man Utd at the moment.

Jonno

There are plenty. This forum does not represent the real world, or matchgoing fans
Wrong.

I was there tonight. I was shellshocked by what I saw. We were beaten before we kicked a ball, it was men against unorganised boys.

We had no organisation off the ball when City came at us, we had nothing when we won the ball back.

1-3 flattered us. I’ve been going on Old Trafford for 20+ years and that’s the worst Man United team and management I’ve ever witnessed, it’s the first time I’ve booed them off at Half Time.

Absolutely shambolic. Whatever Ole did have during his brief run of form, it’s gone.

Do we go out like a top club like Barca or Real when they were in decline, in trouble, get a world class coach, buy 5-6-7 top players in 1 window and try to challenge next season?

Or do we re-build under Ole, with a mid table mentality ,let 4-5 go, bring in 2-3 signings per window, lack squad depth, not coach the squad properly and then react all confused when we get 4/5 injuries?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only positive was Williams who I thought had a really good game. Gomes was pretty good when he came on too.
Apart from making arguably the biggest howler of any United player this season to gift them the third?

Just had to boot it! Simple as that, he was ahead of their man, but somehow managed to trip himself up.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Humbled and humiliated by City in our home.
Enough is enough.
Just resign Olé. Otherwise it will get worse.

DoomSlayer

He also said a lot of nonsense before the game as well. He’s hardly going to say ‘it was so easy I told them to hold back’.
Why would he not say it? He could have said that he wanted his players to preserve energy, it's nothing bad, but he didn't. City are not a team that goes easy if they can demolish you, they have proved it on numerous occasions and it would mean so much to destroy us in particular. Why would they spare us an embarrassing result?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
De Gea
AWB Lindelof Jones Williams
Matic Fred
James - Gomes - Rashford
Greenwood​

Even though it's miles better with Lingard & Pereira nowhere in sight. The 11 is moot. If i was a manager befitting of our status, the team would be infinitely better drilled after a year than whatever 'that' was supposed to be tonight, that's for sure. Teams resemble their coaches and we looked terrified and chaotic. That's damning on Ole.

The lack of organisation with/without the ball was mind-blowing to see. We resembled a pub team at times tonight, with players getting in each-others way, trying to take the ball off each-other. Any other team it would have been comical to watch, not horrifying.

The scoreline flattered us massively. It could have been 5 before half-time if Sterling turned up. Pep must have had pity on Ole & told them to go easy on us at half-time as they never even got out of 1st gear the 2nd half.

He needs more than a year to show he has a plan and can coach? He's been here a year now and we still only have our plan A counter-attack. We're totally clueless in possession/out of possession you name it. He is failing horribly and I can't wait for him to go.

It's truly a nightmare right now, having to put up with nauseating ''Ole is the man, give him 3-4 years'' rhetoric whilst he and the team do their best Benny Hill impressions every week.

Last edited:

swedishgloryhunter

You must be doing exceptionally well then, with your more than respectable income of 600K GBP per annum :) I bet quite a few other users need several years to make the same)
Sorry realised he earns more in a month then I do in 10.years
I want your job! You earn circa 400k!
I must withdraw my comment . I was to sloppy with my math. 1 month of his salary is 10 years for me. My bad just as bad as Jones was today.

MS4

Manager must be one hard job.
You are basically always the face of the club and the reason for everything bad.

Williams is great. Fred finally became a really useful palyer. Rashford having the best season of his life.
He made 3 good transfers. We saw today how much we are missing maguire.

If we had started with Matic and lost, people had blamed Ole for playing Matic ... now vica versa with Lingard
And please nobody mention now Gomes. We has shocking the last time he played and got no A-team minutes in the last weeks/month, so playing him was basically impossible

Ole in!

Josep Dowling

Wrong.

I was there tonight. I was shellshocked by what I saw. We were beaten before we kicked a ball, it was men against unorganised boys.

We had no organisation off the ball when City came at us, we had nothing when we won the ball back.

1-3 flattered us. I’ve been going on Old Trafford for 20+ years and that’s the worst Man United team and management I’ve ever witnessed, it’s the first time I’ve booed them off at Half Time.

Absolutely shambolic. Whatever Ole did have during his brief run of form, it’s gone.

Do we go out like a top club like Barca or Real when they were in decline, in trouble, get a world class coach, buy 5-6-7 top players in 1 window and try to challenge next season?

Or do we re-build under Ole, with a mid table mentality ,let 4-5 go, bring in 2-3 signings per window, lack squad depth, not coach the squad properly and then react all confused when we get 4/5 injuries?
Thank Christ there are some match going fans seeing sense.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
SAF - 59.67%
Mourinho - 58.33%
Moyes - 52.94%
LVG - 52.43%
Sir Matt Busby - 52.38%
Ole - 27.3%

Almost spat my tea out! :lol:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Apart from making arguably the biggest howler of any United player this season to gift them the third?

Just had to boot it! Simple as that, he was ahead of their man, but somehow managed to trip himself up.
Did you not see the push on him by the City player, pathetic post.

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 262 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 1:2 Man City
  • 16% Man Utd 2:1 Man City