LC L League Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 1:3 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 07 January 2020

TRUERED89

Hilarious: Ole noticed our heads dropped when their first goal went in. That's been happening for months. has he really only just seen it? and from what I gather his half-time talk was about "pride". what a load of old bollocks: the tactics were wrong and he had no idea how to cope with the way Pep had set up his team. As for the players... don't make me laugh. Almost no one deserves anything above a "one", and I thought DDG's "effort" for the second goal (yes others made mistakes ahead of him) summed him up of late.

But we've all said this before and clearly the club no longer care. I said this a year ago and got all sort of abuse but if we aren't careful, the club will die: when was the last time we couldn't sell out OT for a derby match? Awful and boring. Headless chickens hoofing the ball around and chasing after it.

The funniest thing of all, however, was a City player's interview (can't remember who, possibly Bernado) said they were playing against one of the top teams in Europe...
He had one of the easiest 45 mins of his football life! So he obviously doesn't believe that..

RedorDead21

Maddison or Grealish in our team last night wouldn’t have made any difference to their complete dominance over us.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You always have to account for the miserable apathy and incompetence in the executive department when you evaluate the club and its current performance.

Solskjær has been constantly consistent with his words and actions that he is very much willing to suffer short term pain for long term gain. He has let players go that he does not envision part of the club going forward even if he knew he won't get the replacement necessary to fill them. In a way its admirable as he is taking blemishes on his own record to make sure the club is rid of the dead wood that so many fans had long been clamouring.

Even now he is letting players like Young walk while operating with the smallest active squad the club have had in years. He's working on the steadfast belief that no incoming transfers are still better than the wrong players like Sanchez or another Rojo.

I just hope this new recruitment strategy starts bearing promise and there's good recruitment ahead. Otherwise Ed might panic and sell short on this strategy to go back to flying with the wind on transfers and managerial appointments.
Agree with you, and good post. There is, and has always been, a potentially significant flaw in the plan in that it relies on us being able to get good transfers over the line. I am absolutely an advocate of 'the right player or no player', but I cant pretend that the prospect of letting Young leave in this window does not concern me. He isn't the future and he wont be here next season but when a club is in the position that we are at the moment where the team is picking itself, we can't be letting anyone else leave.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Maddison or Grealish in our team last night wouldn’t have made any difference to their complete dominance over us.
Of course it would. They would still have been a better team and favourites to win, but every good player we add from here on is going to make us a better team.

Carl S Bridge

Mate. Lineldof was a positive point? Did you actually watch the game?

We started brightly for the first 15 or 20 minutes, getting in behind them a couple of times without any end product. However we did struggle to cope with their high press, especially Jones, and also De Gea, who had few options. As such we kept giving City the ball back and they eventually dominated the first half for the last 30 minutes. I couldn't understand why we were allowing their midfielders to have so much space and eventually Bernardo was left with bags of time to score with a shot, as if it were in the pre-match warm up and not the game proper. A lack of tracking of midfield runners was very apparent and more horrendous errors ensued. Before you knew it we were 3-0 down and it could have been worse.

After a booing off from some fans at half time, the switch to Matic, with his physical presence, game intelligence and composure changed it for us and we competed much better second half. His lack of pace didn't seem to matter so much in this game.

Issues for me were:
-The forwards who all seemed to want to play through the middle. There was a stark contrast with City. For example Stirling was prepared to go well out wide and therefore stretch our defenders to open up the gaps.
-Little movement in the team, especially from the front three. We failed to stretch their defence.
-No leaders on the pitch; and a lack of midfield protection for our defenders
-No tracking midfield runners and letting them get shots off too easily
-Some poor decision making. The fans had better ideas in some cases
-Jones and his frequent 'heart in the mouth' moments. He seems to lack motor coordination, coming out of "challenges" not knowing where the ball is etc.

Positives:
-Brandon Williams supported a lot of our attacking play and defended well
-Lindeloff looked very composed and put in some good blocks and tackles
-Despite the scoreline, the fans outclassed the City corner. If they were a three goals down you wouldn't have heard a peep

Bestietom

I'm not long back after being over for last night's shite. I am 69 years old now and retired and living back in Ireland. I fly over and back for games as much as possible and it is getting very tiresome for me lately. I have seen many different teams under different managers since I started following United in 1959.
I can see this club is going downhill this past few years and I think it needs new owners. I followed United when they went down to the old second division and I enjoyed the football more than now. I seen lots of managers come and go and we always gave the manager time. Now I hear the fans shout for the managers head when we lose a few games, and some were justified.
This time I honestly don't think it's all down to Ole. He can only use what he has got. We have too many on the board who know nothing about football, and are running this club into the ground. It's time the fans showed their anger. Selling players without replacing them is a sure sign that these are out to take every penny we have, and they don't care about football.

OleTheGreat

Dreadful, but I didn't expect anything more to be fair.

I like Ole but if they don't give him money for at least two good players this month there is absolutely no point keeping him on. In fact, he should probably just walk if he can't get them to open their wallets. Liverpool is way ahead of us in terms of their team and they have already invested in January. I don't give a crap about no value in the market. Others are finding it.

They got rid of Lukaku, Herrera, and Fellani without any replacements. Even before these, there were gaping holes in the team that needed fixing.

Right now Ole hasn't got a hope of turning this around. I can remember as far back as Robson, Muhren, and Wilkins and never in that time have we had such a bad midfield.

Ok. So we are without Pogba and the circus that he's current trailing in his wake but really...
You need to relax. You cannot just compare us to Liverpool right now. They are European Champions and can get any player they wish but we are struggling and no player will come to Old Trafford knowing he'll be booed if he puts a step wrong. Right now all of us are frustrated with the club owners and Ed but we're taking it out on Ole. I understand that his team selection and substitutes are not logical but I know he's thinking about all the games that we are about to play and trying to make best out of the squad we've got. He got rid of most of the players we wanted him to get rid and he's trying to put pressure on the board to buy new players but I understand that spending 100 mil for one player is not worth it while it will not make a lot of difference. A total overhaul of 500 odd mil on several players is necessary and I'm sure Ole knows that. His bad luck of losing players to injuries is awful and I will never blame him for picking the side he picked because we're United and if we have a squad of players, they must be top. They're not because of the past managers making mistakes and Ole has to deal with the blow. If you think Poch will change everything if he comes on, you're crazy. Have you watched Tottenham in the last couple of years, he couldn't motivate them after reaching a European final. I personally think that's a bad sign, while Ole has smiled in spite of all the troubles. I think Ole is a positive coach and right now he is doing a wonderful job in holding his players close to him and they're trying to be a unit. Of course, we're inconsistent because this overhaul means we're a young team and we'll run through some difficult times but you cannot just dismiss Ole based on this. Just a few signings, with Mctominay and Pogba back we'll look amazing. Give the man some time and see what he can do. I really believe he will make United a great team again. The new era of football asks for more goals and less defensive work but sometimes defending is all you can do.

We'll get a few good players in the next couple of windows and things will change, be patient guys! "We're using this season to prepare for the next season!" - Ole

Last edited:

Full bodied red

We have to approach every transfer window with a few of buying and selling. We have to be massively active to overhaul the squad.

Agree 101% with the sentiment, just not sure we have anyone other than Pogba that anyone else might want and even Pogba moving on is more talk than action.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I didn't bother watching last night, were there any boos after the match?

sugar_kane

I'm not sure why you were shocked... there has been a lack of movement up front all season and that's why I don't think Martial or Rashford are good enough for United. We need to find an experienced top-class striker (a Vardy/Kane like person) and ply him alongside Greenwood who at least looks like a natural goal scorer
Part of it was being at OT last night, I had great seats in the North Stand so had a good full pitch of view of what was happening. It's harder to see just how static we are in all areas on TV.

The issue wasn't so much however around the movements of our forwards but our midfield and fullbacks. Every time one of our defenders one the ball everyone was standing rooted to the spot rather than showing for the ball and giving a passing option, leading to the counter falling apart or us losing the ball again.

Maticmaker

I was at the 6-1 drumming City gave us at OT some years back and for around 20 minutes in the middle of the first half last night I had flash backs and my pace-maker was doing overtime, dreading another such humiliation...I'm too old for this!

OMG! We are a long way of being in the top four, let alone anything else, its only on nights like these you realise how far off we are. When we lose the ball we have no idea whatsoever on what to do to get it back, when City lose the ball every single one of their outfield players begin to move, almost sequence like, at once to get it back, those close to press, those further away support the press and those furthest way cover the break out spaces.

When City had the ball two, or sometimes only one pass saw them gain 80 yards up the pitch. We take up to ten passes to get over the halfway line!

Why was Matic not on from the beginning, being saved for the Norwich game? Eventually he had to be brought on in second half to stop a rout.

Could have sworn City eased off before halftime, wanting to make sure there was a crowd for the return leg?

I think Brandon Williams came of age last night, he must be our number one left back from now on...surely?

Jonno

Part of it was being at OT last night, I had great seats in the North Stand so had a good full pitch of view of what was happening. It's harder to see just how static we are in all areas on TV.

The issue wasn't so much however around the movements of our forwards but our midfield and fullbacks. Every time one of our defenders one the ball everyone was standing rooted to the spot rather than showing for the ball and giving a passing option, leading to the counter falling apart or us losing the ball again.
I was there last night and I echo your post completely. I was absolutely shellshocked. I saw lots of things that disturbed me to the core.

I watched our press. It was appalling and a waste of time and energy. I saw Rashford and Greenwood press right up to the box, and one of the defenders passed it out to their leftback, at which point Rashford and Greenwood both looked over, saw no press and both flung their arms up and shouted in anger. They were executing their side of the press, and Lingard/James over on the right hadn't done their part. So what was the point in 2 out of the front 4 pressing? It was scandalous and you wonder what kind of direction the team is given, Ole has been there over a year, why is only half the front line pressing?

City had constant patterns of play, they played little 1-2 touch in the middle of the park and just cut through our "midfield" with ease. Our defensive line was incredibly high for large parts of the game and was left embarrassed.

When we won the ball back, DDG, Jones, Williams, Lindelof, AWB, all effectively GAVE the ball back to City straight away. I was so impressed with how City recycled the ball off us. They lose it, they get it straight back. United players looked absolutely clueless at passing the ball, transitioning from defence to attack. They looked scared to have the ball.

A complete lack of game plan, coaching, style of play, confidence, ability, it was all a terrible mess and we we're extremely fortunate to finish 1-3.

Jonno

We'll get a few good players in the next couple of windows and things will change, be patient guys! "We're using this season to prepare for the next season!" - Ole
So why didn't he use last season, losing 4-0 at Everton for example, to prepare for this season? Because arguably we've got no better since then. We're in danger of finishing anywhere from 5th to 15th with the way the league points are spread.

Using this season for next season, come off it mate. He's effectively said, "sorry everyone, this season's a write off". Why is it a write off? Why hasn't he strengthened in more key areas? Why is he persisting with Lingard only to hook him off at half time? Why are we playing dis-jointed football?

Face it, he isn't a top level manager and he's nowhere near good enough to manage Man United. We're now mid-table standard.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Of course it would. They would still have been a better team and favourites to win, but every good player we add from here on is going to make us a better team.
We assume that those players won’t regress in our team.

Bestietom

Manchester United are at risk of insulting supporters in the January transfer window
Man United were shambolic in their Carabao Cup defeat to Man City and supporters should be concerned by who was in the directors' box.

Marcel Bout, the head of global scouting, was sat in his usual seat in a packed directors' box on Tuesday night. Matthew Judge, the head of corporate development tasked with negotiating transfers, was next to Ed Woodward.
Amid the Manchester club dignitaries and guests, there was no space for a Manchester United director of football. United were close to establishing that role. Ten months ago.

Bout should perhaps be in the Netherlands or elsewhere, atoning for his appraisal of Matthijs de Ligt and hit-rate with Louis van Gaal. Judge is supposedly 'at the coalface', touching base with agents and gauging whether the personality of transfer targets is aligned with United's criteria. Woodward is no longer involved in recruitment.
The United manager is a problem but not the biggest problem. They are aimless and oblivious, about as strategic as Donald Trump in his quest for approval ratings. Trump is at least more quick-fire.
United are a football club devoid of an authoritative football figure. Sources have pointed out Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur do not have a technical director. True, though they have multiple European Cup winners as figureheads. United had one and eventually undermined Jose Mourinho at every turn.
Robin van Persie rattled Ole Gunnar Solskjaer but had a point. United have morphed from Sir Alex Ferguson's final season of 'if you cannot find [Van Persie] you will not play' to if you do not play well you will play. Ferguson was flush with anger during Manchester City's stroll.

Be it the Coolmore dispute or the anointment of David Moyes, Ferguson is partly culpable for the United AD (after dominance). Enough time has passed for the club to have mopped up the mess, only they are still run by financial figures accused of being more interested in cash than cups. The Glazers may have been delighted with a replay against Wolves.
Woodward might skip next week's visit to Anfield, the graveyard of Mourinho's last stand. If Real Madrid were humiliated by Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in the same month, Zinedine Zidane would not bother driving into their Valdebebas training ground the morning after.
The United deal-makers sold Solskjaer short in the summer with their inexplicable one-at-a-time strategy. They took their time with deals for Daniel James, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire, then ran out of time. David Gill's legacy was finalising deals for Nani and Anderson on the same day in 2007.
David Gill finalised deals for Nani and Anderson on the same day
United's unhurried approach in the summer contributed to Solskjaer selecting Phil Jones and resorting to Jesse Lingard. The latter was more unforgivable in that Lingard was picked at Arsenal on New Year's Day on the strength of what he had done than what he was doing. Solskjaer recalled him against City via the same argument.
How United have the gall to resist doing business this month unless the right player is available is an insult to supporters who clicked through the Old Trafford turnstiles to discover Lingard had been improbably recalled. The use of 'Jonah' to describe Jones in Solskjaer's post-match press conference was another soundbite from a manager who struggles to chime with matchgoers these days.
If United had a director of football, a technical director, a head of football, whatever you want to call them, they might have the gumption to give Lingard a dosage of reality. His alliance with Mino Raiola, an agent who last week said he wouldn't 'bring anyone else' to United, has made Lingard's position abundantly clear.
Lingard should perhaps be told he will not be considered for selection, is free to negotiate terms with his next club and informed of the asking price so he can relay it to interested clubs. Lingard can go this month or in the summer. There is only so long you can trade off having your artwork on the walls of the academy building whilst underperforming for upwards of 18 months.
Jones is the nadir of the brainless contract strategy at United. This time last year, he had approached the last six months of his contract and United had the option of an additional year. Even his representatives' eyebrows raised when Judge called to broach the subject of an entirely new, four-and-a-half year contract.
"It's a signal for the players that we believe in them," Solskjaer explained on that morning at Carrington when fresh press releases were handed out headlined 'Jones signs new deal'. "It's a signal for the supporters that we plan ahead. And Phil has been here for so long.
"He's won the Premier League, he's won trophies, he knows what it takes. He's been here so long so it's one of them things, he knows what it takes for us to move up the table."
Phil Jones struggled against City
Jones is a survivor from the last title-winning United squad, only he started 13 Premier League matches in 2012-13. He was an unused substitute in the 2016 FA Cup and 2017 Europa League final triumphs and injured for that year's League Cup final. He got cramp chasing Riyad Mahrez's shadow last night.
Andreas Pereira, neither a playmaker nor a midfielder, has come to symbolise Solskjaer's softness. The indulgence of Paul Pogba is an insult to United's ethos, though Woodward was responsible for empowering the player over the manager. Victor Lindelof has succumbed to complacency in the wake of a new contract doled out on the basis of spurious speculation Barcelona wanted him.
As of October, United claimed they were still on the lookout for a director of football but conscious he or she would be 'annihilated' if installed, since supporters would view them as 'coming over the hill on a white steed to save the day'. United need saving and the seat is still vacant.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Manchester United are at risk of insulting supporters in the January transfer window
Man United were shambolic in their Carabao Cup defeat to Man City and supporters should be concerned by who was in the directors' box.

Marcel Bout, the head of global scouting, was sat in his usual seat in a packed directors' box on Tuesday night. Matthew Judge, the head of corporate development tasked with negotiating transfers, was next to Ed Woodward.
Amid the Manchester club dignitaries and guests, there was no space for a Manchester United director of football. United were close to establishing that role. Ten months ago.

Bout should perhaps be in the Netherlands or elsewhere, atoning for his appraisal of Matthijs de Ligt and hit-rate with Louis van Gaal. Judge is supposedly 'at the coalface', touching base with agents and gauging whether the personality of transfer targets is aligned with United's criteria. Woodward is no longer involved in recruitment.
The United manager is a problem but not the biggest problem. They are aimless and oblivious, about as strategic as Donald Trump in his quest for approval ratings. Trump is at least more quick-fire.
United are a football club devoid of an authoritative football figure. Sources have pointed out Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur do not have a technical director. True, though they have multiple European Cup winners as figureheads. United had one and eventually undermined Jose Mourinho at every turn.
Robin van Persie rattled Ole Gunnar Solskjaer but had a point. United have morphed from Sir Alex Ferguson's final season of 'if you cannot find [Van Persie] you will not play' to if you do not play well you will play. Ferguson was flush with anger during Manchester City's stroll.

Be it the Coolmore dispute or the anointment of David Moyes, Ferguson is partly culpable for the United AD (after dominance). Enough time has passed for the club to have mopped up the mess, only they are still run by financial figures accused of being more interested in cash than cups. The Glazers may have been delighted with a replay against Wolves.
Woodward might skip next week's visit to Anfield, the graveyard of Mourinho's last stand. If Real Madrid were humiliated by Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in the same month, Zinedine Zidane would not bother driving into their Valdebebas training ground the morning after.
The United deal-makers sold Solskjaer short in the summer with their inexplicable one-at-a-time strategy. They took their time with deals for Daniel James, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire, then ran out of time. David Gill's legacy was finalising deals for Nani and Anderson on the same day in 2007.
United's unhurried approach in the summer contributed to Solskjaer selecting Phil Jones and resorting to Jesse Lingard. The latter was more unforgivable in that Lingard was picked at Arsenal on New Year's Day on the strength of what he had done than what he was doing. Solskjaer recalled him against City via the same argument.
How United have the gall to resist doing business this month unless the right player is available is an insult to supporters who clicked through the Old Trafford turnstiles to discover Lingard had been improbably recalled. The use of 'Jonah' to describe Jones in Solskjaer's post-match press conference was another soundbite from a manager who struggles to chime with matchgoers these days.
If United had a director of football, a technical director, a head of football, whatever you want to call them, they might have the gumption to give Lingard a dosage of reality. His alliance with Mino Raiola, an agent who last week said he wouldn't 'bring anyone else' to United, has made Lingard's position abundantly clear.
Lingard should perhaps be told he will not be considered for selection, is free to negotiate terms with his next club and informed of the asking price so he can relay it to interested clubs. Lingard can go this month or in the summer. There is only so long you can trade off having your artwork on the walls of the academy building whilst underperforming for upwards of 18 months.
Jones is the nadir of the brainless contract strategy at United. This time last year, he had approached the last six months of his contract and United had the option of an additional year. Even his representatives' eyebrows raised when Judge called to broach the subject of an entirely new, four-and-a-half year contract.
"It's a signal for the players that we believe in them," Solskjaer explained on that morning at Carrington when fresh press releases were handed out headlined 'Jones signs new deal'. "It's a signal for the supporters that we plan ahead. And Phil has been here for so long.
"He's won the Premier League, he's won trophies, he knows what it takes. He's been here so long so it's one of them things, he knows what it takes for us to move up the table."
Jones is a survivor from the last title-winning United squad, only he started 13 Premier League matches in 2012-13. He was an unused substitute in the 2016 FA Cup and 2017 Europa League final triumphs and injured for that year's League Cup final. He got cramp chasing Riyad Mahrez's shadow last night.
Andreas Pereira, neither a playmaker nor a midfielder, has come to symbolise Solskjaer's softness. The indulgence of Paul Pogba is an insult to United's ethos, though Woodward was responsible for empowering the player over the manager. Victor Lindelof has succumbed to complacency in the wake of a new contract doled out on the basis of spurious speculation Barcelona wanted him.
As of October, United claimed they were still on the lookout for a director of football but conscious he or she would be 'annihilated' if installed, since supporters would view them as 'coming over the hill on a white steed to save the day'. United need saving and the seat is still vacant.
Who wrote that? It is pretty scathing and if people would just open their eyes, every truthful.

DomesticTadpole

It's from the Manchester Evening News.
I haven't looked at it today. I have kept away from the media completely. Interesting read, but think we were pretty aware of most of it, but we need the press to highlight how this club is run. I do have some sympathy for Ole, but the more he comes out standing up for our transfer policy he is at risk of being included in the wrath the fans have for the owners/board. He will be seen as their puppet.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
same old nonsense (and we'll get it after the next shambolic display no doubt):

"We'll look ahead now to the next game, put this one behind us and go again."
After his debut outing as United captain, Marcus Rashford gave MUTV his verdict on Tuesday's game.

DomesticTadpole

same old nonsense (and we'll get it after the next shambolic display no doubt):

"We'll look ahead now to the next game, put this one behind us and go again."
After his debut outing as United captain, Marcus Rashford gave MUTV his verdict on Tuesday's game.
They will probably beat Norwich and then everything will be rosy in the garden again.

Bestietom

I haven't looked at it today. I have kept away from the media completely. Interesting read, but think we were pretty aware of most of it, but we need the press to highlight how this club is run. I do have some sympathy for Ole, but the more he comes out standing up for our transfer policy he is at risk of being included in the wrath the fans have for the owners/board. He will be seen as their puppet.
Yes, I agree with you.

Craig Ward

Before we conceded we played well, especially considering the squad we had. Imagine adding Pogba, Maguire, MCT and Martial to the team. Batter is completely exaggerating
Maybe, but the fact is whatever team City put out its much better than ours. City have the capability of playing through and giving any team a hiding - on they're day they are world class. We are never world class, we have our moments but we are way way behind

Craig Ward

Agree 101% with the sentiment, just not sure we have anyone other than Pogba that anyone else might want and even Pogba moving on is more talk than action.
Giving Jones and Lingard and a few others such high wages was always going to haunt us and make life difficult. I agree, selling some players will be harder than others (See loans for Smalling and Sanchez for example).

Realistically we still have at the very least 7 players who have no future here and a few more who are currently getting regular game time only really worthy of a "useful squad addition" role. We need to be so drastic and harsh when it comes to selling.

The only way we improve is to overhaul the squad

Classnordic

If he agrees to it, then yes.

I really don't think Ole, wanted a new contract for Mata. Or that Woodward really consulted him about it. Given his words on the matter.
Maybe on behalf of Woodward saying that they won't sign a replacement, only real reasoning i can see tbh.

Sorry for my english.

Classnordic

Deadwood must be gone. Whether Woodward signs a contract before it, so he can cash-in on departure or not, is a detail. But if the players are actually not gone and actually get play time, you have to blame the manager, at some point.
What if Ole got told there wont be any replacement for Mata, i dont think Ole's opinion was even consulted given what Woodward said on the matter. Yes i agree it's a detail, but it's pretty telling how the club is currently ran.

DomesticTadpole

I really don't think Ole, wanted a new contract for Mata. Or that Woodward really consulted him about it. Given his words on the matter.
Maybe on behalf of Woodward saying that they won't sign a replacement, only real reasoning i can see tbh.

Sorry for my english.
It's OK. So have we got a situation where Ole is now suggesting targets and it will praying Ed delivers? Poor sod if that's the case.

Zen86

It's OK. So have we got a situation where Ole is now suggesting targets and it will praying Ed delivers? Poor sod if that's the case.
Considering how much money we’ve wasted in recent years, I’d say that’s a more likely scenario than Ole simply not wanting to buy anyone, as much as people on the caf like to believe it’s the latter.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That’s a sorry state of affairs that resulted in Jose imploding as Woody never delivered in Jose’s eyes

Remember the “6 names,” interview he gave? We got Fred and Dalot

DomesticTadpole

Considering how much money we’ve wasted in recent years, I’d say that’s a more likely scenario than Ole simply not wanting to buy anyone, as much as people on the caf like to believe it’s the latter.
I would say Ole is desperate for recruits.

USREDEVIL

We destroyed them second half!!!:lol:
Give me a break. It could have easily been 5-0 or 6-0 at half if sterling brought his shooting boots. Second half they basically walked around and waited for it to end as they knew the tie was over. We got a nice little goal but really they didn’t give a feck and were conserving energy.

koop

I mean what else did we expect with that team.
Chuckle brothers in defence, depleted as feck in the midfield.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Another thing that drives me mad watching these lot is the amount of times our midfielders have the ball and our attackers run TOWARDS them. Immediately closing down the space, condensing the game and making it narrow. Combined with the general lack of movement, you got a real winner.

United were shit. But feels harsh putting it on Ole

We've been shit against City since the latter part of Fergie's reign.

It's not as if we've been battering City home and away for years then all of a sudden get pasted by them at Old Trafford. Last night was part of a long term issue spanning almost a decade.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

There is so much truth within this article that I find it hard to believe a journalist wrote it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I mean what else did we expect with that team.
Chuckle brothers in defence, depleted as feck in the midfield.
That is quite true.
However, when faced with a depleted team, a really good coach would ensure that the side is as well drilled and well organised and well prepared as possible so as to be difficult to beat.
And we were none of those.

That is my main criticism. On the occasions we are good we can be brilliant.
But the majority of the occasions we are awful and disorganised and lacking in organisation.

We have no real leaders apart from possibly McTominay.

ManUArfa

Mate. Lineldof was a positive point? Did you actually watch the game?
I was there at the game mate. You need to be watching the whole play unfold to get the best picture of what is happening. Yes he was involved in two of their goals but the problem was that our team was being pressed in to making errors and was extremely stretched with no protection of our back four and with their midfield totally outnumbering and out moving ours.

In terms of composure at the back and getting good tackles in in HIS area of the pitch he was much better than Jones for whom the ball was like a hot potato. When Lindeloff was drawn out of position to meet their midfielders or meet balls that our midfielders should be winning that's when the mistakes were made. For the Mahrez goal he was dragged out to deal with the long ball in the air then had to run back (nobody covered for him) when his header fell to a City player who then played it forward to where Lindeloff should have been. There was no CDM on our team to win that header. For the Pereira own goal, again poor decision making and passing up front caused us to lose the ball and Lindeloff was again drawn in to a midfield position leaving us short at the back and running back towards our own goal.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

He had one of the easiest 45 mins of his football life! So he obviously doesn't believe that..
Lets not forget De Bruyne said it took 15 minutes of training to understand the false 9 formation. Our team hasn’t learnt how to take a corner since Ole took charge.

ManUArfa

You need to relax. You cannot just compare us to Liverpool right now. They are European Champions and can get any player they wish but we are struggling and no player will come to Old Trafford knowing he'll be booed if he puts a step wrong. Right now all of us are frustrated with the club owners and Ed but we're taking it out on Ole. I understand that his team selection and substitutes are not logical but I know he's thinking about all the games that we are about to play and trying to make best out of the squad we've got. He got rid of most of the players we wanted him to get rid and he's trying to put pressure on the board to buy new players but I understand that spending 100 mil for one player is not worth it while it will not make a lot of difference. A total overhaul of 500 odd mil on several players is necessary and I'm sure Ole knows that. His bad luck of losing players to injuries is awful and I will never blame him for picking the side he picked because we're United and if we have a squad of players, they must be top. They're not because of the past managers making mistakes and Ole has to deal with the blow. If you think Poch will change everything if he comes on, you're crazy. Have you watched Tottenham in the last couple of years, he couldn't motivate them after reaching a European final. I personally think that's a bad sign, while Ole has smiled in spite of all the troubles. I think Ole is a positive coach and right now he is doing a wonderful job in holding his players close to him and they're trying to be a unit. Of course, we're inconsistent because this overhaul means we're a young team and we'll run through some difficult times but you cannot just dismiss Ole based on this. Just a few signings, with Mctominay and Pogba back we'll look amazing. Give the man some time and see what he can do. I really believe he will make United a great team again. The new era of football asks for more goals and less defensive work but sometimes defending is all you can do.

Totally agree with this. Ole's options last night were very limited and he would have not wanted to have to bring Matic on after he had played the last two games and with all the recent games being so close together.

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 262 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 1:2 Man City
  • 16% Man Utd 2:1 Man City