PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 08 March 2020

Castia

I’ve been Pogba’s biggest supporter. He’s a great talent, gets unfairly criticised by the pundits BUT I’m starting to wonder regardless of his undoubted world class quality would adding him into our starting 11 unbalance us, would his indifference to certain games ruin the teamwork?

Closest example I can think of Neymar at PSG, they seemed to have clicked as a team and then Neymar returned and they lost something collectively.
Maybe yeah. Especially as it would probably be Fred dropping out and he’s arguably been our best player in recent months. Still Pogba and Bruno though :drool:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Maybe yeah. Especially as it would probably be Fred dropping out and he’s arguably been our best player in recent months. Still Pogba and Bruno though :drool:
In a game like today, playing Pogba and Bruno we’d probably lose. Matic and Fred arguably did more to stop City creating chances. On the flip side maybe with Pogba and Bruno we’d create even more and have more attacking variety. But looking at the way we set up vs big teams, we really need only one creative CM, it’s the two battling cm’s that are probably most important to our tactic

Zed 101

I loved the reaction of Martial, Bruno and Williams to McT's goal.... at times I question Martial's commitment, his reaction made me very happy

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Great result today. Even Dean couldnt f*** it up for us - although he tried. Nailed on pen. However, I cant help feeling that a little while ago, a lot of people on here were saying any one of the following should be got rid of - Fred, Martial, Shaw, Ole - and yet now they are gods. No doubt, if the results start to turn against us those same people will be crawling out of the woodwork rubbishing Bruno, Ighalo (who has been a real bonus), Shaw (again) Maguire etc etc.
I have always urged caution, see how the season pans out before making snap judgements. And I reckon that's exactly what the coaching staff think too.
Apart from that - Woodward out.

El Zoido

How fecking good was that McTominay goal. :drool: Amazing moment, can’t stop watching it.

mu4c_20le

Josep Dowling

Feel like everyone’s getting a bit carried away. Listening post match and now MOTD. We are still 2 point behind top 4, Sheffield United can go above us with their game in hand and we have Jose’s Spurs next.

It was a fantastic result today but we need to stay grounded and get the job done. Top 4 is a must this season.

Stacks

For all their possession I was not worried for some reason. this is a big result after Everton. Many could of seen us take 3 points from these 2 games at most. Well done all involved

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Best atmosphere at OT for some years. In town later was brilliant, city nowhere...lol.

freddie the red

All second half I was fidgeting in my seat and the old heart starts to beat faster from about 70 mins in but that ending and after-match feeling has got to be the best we've had for a long, long time.
Double double over the berties and rent boys is so sweet, let's go and do it over the lillywhites as well and see how much more "moany" ho gets!!
:lol::lol::lol:

Chippa62

Brilliant result, the boys dun good. Nearly lost my voice following McT's goal. Noticed on MOTD they went on about how soft our free kick was but no mention of Fred's nailed on penalty shout :rolleyes:.

Danillaco

I was and still am very critical of Ole's work. But credit when it's due, he doing very well recently. Setting up the team well, and doing good subs most of the time. But mostly for singing, even latter than he should've, Bruno.

He transformed United. Make us tick, command games, and even made Mata rejuvenate. Absolute beast of a player and we don't even have Rashford and mostly Pogba.

We could be going places. This team with Paul and Marcus can be a true force.

Buzzing. What a game and what a performance.

hp88

We’re still stuck at J15 on the M6 but don’t care.

Up the f’ing Reds!

KennyBurner

It’s important to realize that the pace of both martial and James was key to us attacking city today. It’s how Liverpool are so dominant with their wide men being extremely rapid. I criticized James a lot today because of his final third decisions but even I will admit he was very crucial in stretching zinchenko and otamendi.

We have a team that can adapt to both playing on the front foot and counter attacking. I hope whatever Ole does this summer he adds more pace and power to our attack. It’s always been the key to dominating the league.

Also I know sancho isn’t rapid but is he quick enough?

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Guys come down......

Somebody to check, when we have beaten City and Chelsea Home and Away in one season..
Just to provide an answer what I reckon to be an interesting question, according to wikipedia the last time we beat both Chelsea and Manchester City home and away was in the season of 1960/61 under the guidance of Matt Busby. That season we beat Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge on Christmas Eve with goals from Dawson and Charlton. We followed that up with an immediate return leg two days later where we won 5-1 thanks to goals from Charlton, a brace from Nicholson and a hat-trick from Dawson. Our next match was at Old Trafford against City where we beat them 5-1 with Dawson grabbing another hat-trick and Charlton another two. The return match at Maine Road was on the 4th of March and saw us beat them 3-1 with Charlton, Pearson and Dawson getting on the scoresheet.

Foxbatt

I do not think we can blame anyone today. Everyone played well including James. Yes his decision making on a couple of occasions was wrong but he is going to learn from his mistakes. Ole got the tactics spot on too. His decision to leave James on was spot on too as he ran his heart out non stop and did not give the City defence any time on the ball.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great result today. Even Dean couldnt f*** it up for us - although he tried. Nailed on pen. However, I cant help feeling that a little while ago, a lot of people on here were saying any one of the following should be got rid of - Fred, Martial, Shaw, Ole - and yet now they are gods. No doubt, if the results start to turn against us those same people will be crawling out of the woodwork rubbishing Bruno, Ighalo (who has been a real bonus), Shaw (again) Maguire etc etc.
I have always urged caution, see how the season pans out before making snap judgements. And I reckon that's exactly what the coaching staff think too.
Apart from that - Woodward out.
Promote this sensible poster I say!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its was great performance for us.
2 very well taken goals, our counter attack, pressing, defence and subs are spot on. They never really have a chance, and we could have score more if James willing to make a pass instead of going by himself all the time.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Copied this from someone : The Lesbian keeper

He is suppossed to be good with his feet isnt He?

boxykronikle

Fred was immense. Really growing into the team and league. Great subs by Ole as I was shouting for James to be subbed out insteade of Martial. Bruno was good. Matic and Fred provided cover which was crucial and also at times ran forward with the ball to help the attack.

Very solid backline. Maguire and Shaw were in panicky mode early in the game but grown confident towards the end. AWB kept Sterling and whomever on the left side of City in his pocket. Lindelof and Williams were fine.

James is young and for sure will be trained in making better decisions. But his pace just left City defensive backline in dust. Well taken goal by Martial and assist by Bruno.

Ighalo hold up play is just good. Are you watching that Lukaku?

Gasolin

Fred was immense. Really growing into the team and league. Great subs by Ole as I was shouting for James to be subbed out insteade of Martial. Bruno was good. Matic and Fred provided cover which was crucial and also at times ran forward with the ball to help the attack.

Very solid backline. Maguire and Shaw were in panicky mode early in the game but grown confident towards the end. AWB kept Sterling and whomever on the left side of City in his pocket. Lindelof and Williams were fine.

James is young and for sure will be trained in making better decisions. But his pace just left City defensive backline in dust. Well taken goal by Martial and assist by Bruno.

Ighalo hold up play is just good. Are you watching that Lukaku?
Lukaku is not a hold up striker unfortunately. It's impossible for him to play that way. I think he's closer to Martial without the technique = we have made the right call to choose Martial over him.

croadyman

I am absolutely ecstatic to be proved totally wrong by Utd, genuinely thought the Chelsea result would flatten our spirit but it actually inspired us instead

HarryRedCrumbs

Absolute disaster. They splashed the hot water on to my lads hot chocolate so quickly that the tasteless brown powder in the bottom of the cup congealed straight in to a solid lump. Fifteen minutes of stirring with a by-now-soggy stick and it was barely making matters any better. Still absolutely tasteless.

Fifteen minutes later and the young lad kicked it over when Martial scored... brilliant. Best night ever, my hands hurt from clapping.

RedCurry

I’ve commented before when our entire eleven absolutely sucked. Today our entire eleven and whoever came on played their hearts out. I am proud of these players today.

Also, I love how bitter Pep is. I still can’t stop respecting the man. Nothing wrong in being a sore loser in my opinion.

Danillaco

In a game like today, playing Pogba and Bruno we’d probably lose. Matic and Fred arguably did more to stop City creating chances. On the flip side maybe with Pogba and Bruno we’d create even more and have more attacking variety. But looking at the way we set up vs big teams, we really need only one creative CM, it’s the two battling cm’s that are probably most important to our tactic
I don't know about that. We could've maintained both in the middle of the park and still use Pogba and Bruno.

All players had good game though. Shaw is having a great run, and Williams was good too.

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 475 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 18% Man Utd 1:1 Man City