PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 4:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 March 2022

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I honestly give up with this fan base on here and their agendas.
Fecking embarrassing

Cathy Ferguson

Im no fan of the Glazers but Uniteds net spending on transfers over the last 5 years is £457.60 million; City spent £357.31 million in the same period.
Pogba 89m
Maguire 80m
Donny 35m
AWB 50m
Fred 54m
Sancho 72m, jury still out though

Money not well spent. The owners are sucking the club dry and we fail to buy well in the market. Not a winning combo. Hello 6th place.

predator

Youth NITK
Derby day is a laugh lately. For me today I honestly wanted city to win. Because the thought of Liverpool matching us on 20 league titles is 100x worse than losing a single game against a team that are so small in the grand scheme of things.

City fans are cnutish, yes, and love beating us but the fact is they have only won 5 league titles, 4 x less than ourselves. They haven't won a European Cup, whereas Liverpool have twice as many as we do.

I'd rather see City win 5 league titles on the bounce than Liverpool win one more which will give them the argument to say they are the biggest/most successful english club.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It’s been said for years, but there is something rotten with this group of players. I was always a fan of Ole (although thought he had to go in the end), but as time goes on it is only getting more apparent that this squad is simply…. Wrong.

There is no fight, no passion, no energy - just nothing. You can look around and see far more talented players who are still prepared to put a shift in (you didn’t have to look very far to see them today). Meanwhile ours just seem…. Not bothered. As soon as things aren’t working out, the heads drop.

Probably the most urgency we will see is the race to get on Instagram for the “not good enough today, we go again next week” canned apology posts.

The Irish Connection

Im no fan of the Glazers but Uniteds net spending on transfers over the last 5 years is £457.60 million; City spent £357.31 million in the same period.
And 5 years ago, how far were we off them? We’ve only spent 100m more than them in that time which in the transfer market of the last 5 years is equivalent to two top players on a good day. Meanwhile the glazers take 25 million per season on dividends and the director fees are in the millions. Not to mention the debt interest.
As probably in the top 3 football clubs of all time, we should be using every ounce of our financial strength to get back to the top and an extra 20 million per season more than an already miles ahead city won’t cut it.

How much have Barcelona spent in the last year out of interest?
They were on the brink of oblivion apparently but already look like they’re building more momentum than us to get back on top. They are desperate to get back to the top despite their financial constraints and if they do, who will give a shit about how much they spent to get there.

Fergie established United as a behemoth and we’re supposed to make excuses for these leeches who drip feed the money and don’t allow the club to utilize all the credit it built up. If it takes 300 million a season for 5 years then that’s what it takes and the fact is, without the glazers we would have been able to do that.

slyadams

You won’t see me angry or complaining after results like this now because I simply don’t care. I still love the club but I don’t respect it, and when you have no respect for something it’s hard to be that bothered.

The club don’t care about being successful anymore. Until that changes get used ti this mediocrity. It’s been 10 years now.

AndySmith1990

Pogba 89m
Maguire 80m
Donny 35m
AWB 50m
Fred 54m
Sancho 72m, jury still out though

Money not well spent. The owners are sucking the club dry and we fail to buy well in the market. Not a winning combo. Hello 6th place.
That's not their fault though. The shite managers we've had are to blame for the appalling squandering of money. Although the owners should be blamed for persisting with an incompetent banker to run the operations on the football side of things

lex talionis

That's not their fault though. The shite managers we've had are to blame for the appalling squandering of money. Although the owners should be blamed for persisting with an incompetent banker to run the operations on the football side of things
Exactly. This is the sum of the problem: the Glazers, to their shame, entrusted bankers with running the club, they hiring managers who never had it (Moyes, Ole) or were past it (Van Gaal, Mourinho), who insisted in bringing in players who weren't up to proper United standards (too numerous to name, but the idiocy began with the panic buy of Fellaini).

Ultimately, responsibility falls on the Glazers, but the collapse of the House of Old Trafford falls on executive and football management, from Woodward to Solskjaer. There is no reason yet to believe it has happened yet, but we can only hope that the Glazers have finally realized that the ship will sink quickly if management isn't sorted out in the next two months.

FriedClams

When are we going to dominate a guardiola team? When. Not once have we dominated a guardiola team like he has dominated us since 2009. Terrible really.
we have tactically outwitted him a few times, under different managers. The trouble is, he’s really really good. He’s going down in history as one of the better managers in history, who knows by the time he’s done, maybe even the best.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
we have tactically outwitted him a few times, under different managers. The trouble is, he’s really really good. He’s going down in history as one of the better managers in history, who knows by the time he’s done, maybe even the best.
We have generally beaten him counter attacking. Didnt Ole beat him three times in one season. I think it is the most any manager has beaten him in a single season. But it is counter attacking tactics.

I want to see us have 60 percent possession against him for once.

OverratedOpinion

But how is what he says honesty? It's the same shit every week, I understand he's the GK and he's not currently the problem - but these excuses (from whoever it is within the squad) is getting very, very tedious and honestly, frustrating cause nothing ever seems to change.

"We will not give up", well the team has given up countless times this season already.
De Gea is not lying about that personally, he does not let his head drop or "give up". He has been through every year of this crap since Sir Alex retired, generally done his job to a world class level and constantly berates his teammates who fail to live up to that standard. He also seems to understand and talks more openly than most footballers about how unacceptable it is.

He is clearly more honest than most players, a little less media trained which I far prefer.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We have generally beaten him counter attacking. Didnt Ole beat him three times in one season. I think it is the most any manager has beaten him in a single season. But it is counter attacking tactics.

I want to see us have 60 percent possession against him for once.
It kills me to say it, but - will never happen. He will be long gone by the time we get our shit together, if we ever do.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
TBF, only the last MC match in the fall was a poor match for Ole. I think he won 3 in row away vs MC.
He did but I remember City bring pretty atrocious in some of those games, for what it's worth. Also absolutely hammering us and we win 2-0 through goals on what felt like our only attacks of the game. 23 shots to our 8 in our 2-0 win last season, and that's exactly how the game felt. We were always on shaky ground with the team Ole built and them sort of results only papered over the cracks. Many of us knew we would collapse eventually under Ole and we did.

My point remains though, the team he left us with us so inherently flawed and very much built in his own reflection as a manager. Meek. Out of ideas. No visible passion or aggression. Too nice to play against.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Derby day is a laugh lately. For me today I honestly wanted city to win. Because the thought of Liverpool matching us on 20 league titles is 100x worse than losing a single game against a team that are so small in the grand scheme of things.

City fans are cnutish, yes, and love beating us but the fact is they have only won 5 league titles, 4 x less than ourselves. They haven't won a European Cup, whereas Liverpool have twice as many as we do.

I'd rather see City win 5 league titles on the bounce than Liverpool win one more which will give them the argument to say they are the biggest/most successful english club.
Actually, they’ve won 7 league titles.

DeGea

We have an attitude problem. We will never improve if we just change players every summer transfer window, there needs to be an acceptance at the club that the attitude and mentality needs to change. Players like Maguire who are “soft” mentally just should be sold and we cannot buy those types of players ever again.

joedirt87

First half at least there was some hope. We did a decent job moving the football, held some possession and looked like we might be able to score another goal, just clean up the comical defending. Not sure if United tired or City just woke up but the 2nd half was a joke. Could barely get a touch. That goal we conceded from the corner was laughable. They’ve got 2 guys near the corner flag and we still find a way to leave a man wide open to hit a volley. Pathetic.

Stig

I don't think that the players don't care. Against Athletico Madrid they gave everything, and we got a result. I think that today we were just simply out played by better players in a better organized team.

I will admit that we went on a break from a corner and 6 City defenders converged on our player with the ball, the two CDs didn't even need to get involved and we had one player in support.

The same happened with Rashford when he was going into the box on the right. City got at least 6 defenders back to swarm him, and we had one person in the box in support.

I think today they were just knew that weren't good enough and they couldn't find the motivation. They accepted the defeat before the final whistle.

Stig

It's not really this result that is upsetting people. It's not beating Middlesbrough, Burnley, Southampton and Watford, in the last few weeks. That is what really makes you stop and think.

NICanRed

I suppose I had really hoped for a performance although I expected that in the end they would win. The first half performance was encouraging. How many games have we played differently in the two halves of the game. Sometimes the first half has been fair and the second has been awful - sometimes its been the other way round. in the first instance we have blamed fitness levels - maybe so.
Today's second half was disgraceful and as for the subs - Rashford was on the ball twice and I'm not sure if Lingard ever touched the ball. Admittedly it was hard to get on the ball as City stroked the ball around us.
I wouldn't be inclined to encourage thuggery but to come out of that game with only one yellow card (and that wasn't really a yellow!) shows a lack of fight in those players.
Maybe our Academy isn't good enough to push for places in our team but it's getting to the point when they need to be chosen just to put the "stars" in their place.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's not really this result that is upsetting people. It's not beating Middlesbrough, Burnley, Southampton and Watford, in the last few weeks. That is what really makes you stop and think.
Great point.

NICanRed

I know this will just sound like sour grapes but did you ever see two more miserable faces than Foden and Silva.
Silva scythed down Fernandes (I think) and then complained when he was penalised. A yellow card wouldn't have been out of order.

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
I just saw this quote from Scott McTominay in his response to media criticism of the team by Gary Neville and Roy Keane. He told Sky Sports: 'From my point of view, on the pitch, it's hard to see what's going on around you but if that's what people are saying then so be it." Unbelievable. Here in lays the answer to this team's performance woes. If I'm a midfielder and my striker can't be bothered tracking back to assist me in covering an attacking move from the opposition. I would be right up his backside and letting him know about it! Hard to see what's going on. F***K me!!! And the reason the Manager backs them all is because he doesn't want to lose his next two years paycheck as a "consultant".

Esquire

Maguire?? You kidding? The guy got bullied all game, he was horrific.
I remember in the second half when they were 3-1 up KDB was still playing very hard and absolutely shouldered Harry off the ball. I hate City but you can’t not admire the way their stars hustle even when the game was handily won.

Esquire

AWB has two speeds, standing perfectly still, and casually jogging. That moment where he jogged to the ball, only to be smashed off it with ease by a player half his size, was just the epitome of him. Zero awareness, and just plays like it doesn't even matter. Dalot isn't the answer either, but Dalot was definitely playing better than AWB recently.

I thought we were ok in the first half, but two awful moments which obviously led to two goals. But we didn't even come out for the 2nd. Ghastly.
That was almost comical, Foden just blasting AWB off the ball like a ragdoll.

Esquire

City were obviously only playing in second gear in the first half, in the second half they maintained it whilst United lacked the energy from the first half. They subbed de Bruyne early, didn’t really do any subs to save players on the bench and still got the «woheeey» from the stands. Many levels in difference of quality, they are 1st and the reds are 5th, very easy to see.

And let’s please put this Fernandes vs de Bruyne-debate to rest, it never really was one. Never mind the goals, one player dictates every game - the other one doesn’t. Yet I got shit for saying just that a few weeks ago.
Bruno is a good player and can be great. Can’t fault him for his effort as he was one of the very few who ran hard last yesterday. But you can’t compare him to KDB, who has been consistently one of the best players in the PL over the past 5 to 6 years.

Esquire

If United's average technical level is 3/5, City's technical level is 5/5 across the whole team.
Completely agree. I thought last night showed a real difference in mentality and effort. However, what was most telling was the technical ability and awareness of the City team. These feckers broke our press consistently with ease. That goaltender, however much of a wanker he is, you have to admit is great at distribution. Their midfielders and defenders just were that much better at retaining possession.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We are just a bloated side in major transition. Our lack of energy passion and teamwork is all too evident in so many players. Telling ye. You need a few more crazy energy players with a touch of class these days. I think Chiesa is the next big one we should get. He’s an epic player and works hard. I haven’t seen him at all this season but I just love his game for the modern PL style. Bellingham looks great. Also seems like the kind of guy who could eventually become a kind of leader. Vidal in his prime would have been another perfect player for us. We lack more aggressive personality approaching their career best form.

allen7

I’m convinced this city side will play this high quality football as long as pep coaches them. They’re well trained and drilled to find spaces and make runs within tight spaces.

They’ll go invisible once pep leave them same as klopp for pool. The only luck on our side is both pep and klopp are competing at same period and most probably going to leave in another 2 or 3 years.

darko

Our history/success is bigger/more admirable to a lot of people. Our success can more or less be divided into two sequences and both were down to the genius of Busby and SAF. I think that history appeals to a bigger audience than City doing all they can after 2008 to rebrand the club as a whole - and more or less creating a new club, just with the same name as its predecessor, with its foundation built around sketchy funding and morally dubious owners.

Other than that, we have nothing going for us that is comparable to City - they’re greater at youth, transfers and all around sporting management.
A great squad but a welfare club.

Esquire

Yes, Ralf is responsible for our team not knowing how to complete a pass, how to run, or how to form a cohesive attack. All on Ralf.
This team has churned through manager after manager. There is a common denominator here and that’s the players. Forget all the analytics and just rely on your own eyes. Would any of these players, aside maybe Sancho, get into that City squad? You look at the performance yesterday esp. the second half it really was Men v boys in all aspects, talent, drive, work rate, mentality. We just have to accept we are just a border line top 4 team. Question is what will the Glazers do about it, The issue goes beyond coaching and players. It’s management, it’s culture and structure. It doesn’t take someone with an MBA to figure this out.

Yakuza_devils

City players are superior in every department. They also look like they can run all day. But our players ran out of steam after 45 mins. This is the worst bunch of professional football players we have ever had.

The squad has major discipline issues, fitness issues, prima donnas problem and factions within the squad. We really need a major purging in the summer to have any chance to look like a proper club. This squad is shameful. The least we hope from them is to put in more efforts and match City's running statistic. But no, they given up after only 45 mins running. Lazy feckers.

Marcus

City players are superior in every department. They also look like they can run all day. But our players ran out of steam after 45 mins. This is the worst bunch of professional football players we have ever had.

The squad has major discipline issues, fitness issues, prima donnas problem and factions within the squad. We really need a major purging in the summer to have any chance to look like a proper club. This squad is shameful. The least we hope from them is to put in more efforts and match City's running statistic. But no, they given up after only 45 mins running. Lazy feckers.
My take is the players do not have the fitness to press for the entire 90 minutes. This can only be achieved in the off-season. Also their pressing technique is also a bit haphazard and to become an effective unit, they need time to gel. Because it is haphazard, they tire easily and in the later part of the second half, they deflate. I think it is what it is. We cannot expect anything this season. But there is hope in the off season. Hopefully with a permanent manager, new players and a training regime to up fitness, and tactics drilled to death.

I don't think the players are lazy. But it is a very hopeless situation we are in.

meamth

Because you don't press City with front 6 from minute one. All those chasing will cost your stamina.

Even if you want to press front 6, one of the CB needs to mark KDB or Bernardo, stick to the man.

Really baffled by the tactics yesterday. It's a crime to see KDB/Bernardo/Grealish running free in empty midfield. Laughable, really.

darko

I’m convinced this city side will play this high quality football as long as pep coaches them. They’re well trained and drilled to find spaces and make runs within tight spaces.

They’ll go invisible once pep leave them same as klopp for pool. The only luck on our side is both pep and klopp are competing at same period and most probably going to leave in another 2 or 3 years.
I can see Pep leaving but I see Kloop staying for a long time.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 57% of 221 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw